House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Velgud

My Local Lloyds Branch Was Broke

Hi everyone,

Excuse my stupidity if this is a normal situation. I'm quite young and a newbie lurker in these forums and know little about banking procedures but certainly this seemed rather odd to me.

I'm currently trying to clear my mortgage balance asap. I have a mortgage with Abbey and a current account and savings with Lloyds.

I was in town for work and decided I may as well make my next mortgage payment. I transferred 11k from my savings to the current account (as didn't have a cheque book on me) and tried to pay my mortgage using my debit card. Abbey advised they couldn't do that, so I returned to Lloyds and asked to draw out the cash - the branches are less than 50 metres apart and frankly I wouldn't fancy the chances of someone trying to mug me anyway.

Lloyds didn't have the cash!

It was nothing to do with me not having sufficient ID - I have a business account manager there and am in the branch regularly, they simply did not have the money available.

Is this normal?

We are talking about the main High Street Lloyds branch in Exeter which is probably the biggest bank in a city of around 200,000 people.

Maybe I am naive assuming that banks hold considerable amounts of money but I was absolutely shocked to hear they didn't even have that amount!

Not unusual, as soon as it gets into thousands it seems to be next day. I should think the money laundering regs have added another level of checking/time factors as well. But as a rule local banks hardly have any real money at all in their vaults, handy place to store the sandwiches though, about the only real dough around. :lol:

From past experience this is quite normal, they may well have £40k there but for you to take £11k of that could cause a few problems later that same day, and if its quite late in the day then they normally do try to run down the level of cash they hold overnight in the safe.

I have always had a bankers draft with no problems at all, and they usually waver the fee in Lloyds if your a good customer.

It was nothing to do with me not having sufficient ID - I have a business account manager there and am in the branch regularly, they simply did not have the money available.

Is this normal?

We are talking about the main High Street Lloyds branch in Exeter which is probably the biggest bank in a city of around 200,000 people.

Maybe I am naive assuming that banks hold considerable amounts of money but I was absolutely shocked to hear they didn't even have that amount!

I suspect they did have the cash but your withdrawal would have left them with very little cash. They preferred to have one unhappy customer rather than fifty.

11k for your mortgage payment?

how much was the amount you wished to take out

what kinda house do you have that requires a monthly 11k payment?

ps whats the secret of your success?

It is quite usual for high street banks to have only a small amount of cash on hand. You normally need to give 24 hours notice for a large amount. They saved you and us a lot of time and money - paying £11K in cash over the counter of a UK bank would probably have immedately got you a security services profile as a suspected terrorist or drug dealer.

Hi everyone,

Excuse my stupidity if this is a normal situation. I'm quite young and a newbie lurker in these forums and know little about banking procedures but certainly this seemed rather odd to me.

I'm currently trying to clear my mortgage balance asap. I have a mortgage with Abbey and a current account and savings with Lloyds.

I was in town for work and decided I may as well make my next mortgage payment. I transferred 11k from my savings to the current account (as didn't have a cheque book on me) and tried to pay my mortgage using my debit card. Abbey advised they couldn't do that, so I returned to Lloyds and asked to draw out the cash - the branches are less than 50 metres apart and frankly I wouldn't fancy the chances of someone trying to mug me anyway.

Is this normal?

I said this before, but I know that on three separate occasion the local Abbey branch of one of my relatives had to turn people away because they had run out of cash. That must be scary if you really need it.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
It is quite usual for high street banks to have only a small amount of cash on hand. You normally need to give 24 hours notice for a large amount. They saved you and us a lot of time and money - paying £11K in cash over the counter of a UK bank would probably have immedately got you a security services profile as a suspected terrorist or drug dealer.

I must be more careful when I purchase my snort in bulk.

Yep, quite usual. The same with Bookies, they won't pay large payouts until the next day - they could run out of cash too!

Oh, and I booked to get £6k out of my current account giving 7 days notice. Went in on the day, and they had no record of me booking it. They told me to come back the next day, but as I arranged to buy a car at midday and kicked up a bit of a fuss - refusing to leave until I had to cash!

45mins later... my cash suddenly was available.

Hi everyone,

Is this normal?

why didn't you ask the Lloyds bank branch staff to make you a cheque out using their generic in-branch cheques, or get BACS details from Abbey and give these to Lloyds to do a BACS transfer? why don't people just use internet or telephone banking these days anbd use BACS transfers, who needs a bank branch to transfer money anyway?

sorry, just out of interest, if you have that kind of cash then I'm surprised you don't seem aware of the variuous other options - but correct me if I've misconstrued....

Velgud

In this situation, the correct procedure is to go back into the street and shout through the door

"I want my money. Why havn't you got the funds to pay me"

They always keep a few bob back that sort of thing, even if it has to come out of the managers wallet.

Is this normal?

Yes, I went into A&L to get 5k in cash a few months back, and they said the same. I started to kick up a fuss about my money in my current account and WHY wasn't A&L able to pay me... had they run otu of money? When I raised my voice and started to repeat, they found the cash.

Suggestion: Speak loudly: looking around the bank:

"why can't you give me my money in my current account.. have you run out of money?"

:lol::lol:

I work for Barclays; 24 hours notice is normally required for any cash withdrawals over £800 from any Barclays account. Seems very similar to your bank.

11k for your mortgage payment?

how much was the amount you wished to take out

what kinda house do you have that requires a monthly 11k payment?

ps whats the secret of your success?

Ha! no, my monthly payments are less than £150 now, I've been reading these forums alot :) This was to reduce the balance!

why didn't you ask the Lloyds bank branch staff to make you a cheque out using their generic in-branch cheques, or get BACS details from Abbey and give these to Lloyds to do a BACS transfer? why don't people just use internet or telephone banking these days anbd use BACS transfers, who needs a bank branch to transfer money anyway?

sorry, just out of interest, if you have that kind of cash then I'm surprised you don't seem aware of the variuous other options - but correct me if I've misconstrued....

Yes exactly, I asked them to generate a bankers cheque and waive the fee. I could have sorted it over the phone or online but it was one of those days where I was determined to clear my to do list and just wanted to get it sorted there and then while I was in town. I will presume you have never had the displeasure of Abbey's telephone banking! :P

Rubbish: I've walked into Barclays and taken out 4k on my Barclaycard as a cash advance plenty of times. They didn't bat an eyelid.

I thought Barclaycard charged instant interest on cash advances, like every other CC. To stop people using it as an interest free cash loan.

24 hours notice is normally required for any cash withdrawals over £800 from any Barclays account.

It's a shame that the bank itself isn't on similar notice terms. When it comes to actions initiated by third parties that incur "administrative fees", no notice seems a perfectly fair bargain.

Fiddlesticks, boy! Feed the birds and what have you got? Fat birds!

But if you invest your tuppence

Wisely in the bank

Safe and sound

Soon that tuppence safely invested in the bank

Will compound

And you'll achieve that sense of conquest

As your affluence expands

In the hands of the directors

Who invest as propriety demands

The only rational response to such imbalanced terms is of course to challenge the very basis for them, as noisily as possible.

Give it back! Give be back my money!

... and we all know how that turned out.

Rubbish: I've walked into Barclays and taken out 4k on my Barclaycard as a cash advance plenty of times. They didn't bat an eyelid.

I did say normally. Ring Barclays tomorrow if you don't believe me!

It's very very normal.

I once went and took only 800 quid out of the lloyds in the middle of Manchester's king Street and they had a hissy fit and I had to wait for 15 minutes before they had it ready for me.

They don't like giving money out like that. Snug roll of fifties was nice to have for the short while I carried it about. :)

I imagine part of it is not wanting to dish your cash out to the wrong person and a 15 minute wait or so is likely to put off someone just trying it on.

It might give them enough time to check your photo id.

Does your bank have photo id of you? They will if you've opened a bank account recently and will probably have some stills of you using the cash machine from time to time.

I have paid £10K in used notes into a bank recently, and the only security involved was a single question.

Me: I would like to pay this money into my account.

Cashier: To meet our security requirements you will have to answer a question.

Me: OK

Cashier: Where did you get the money?

Me: I sold my car.

Cashier: OK then.

Nobody from the Government came to investigate. They great myth about the security apparatus in this country, is that it actually exists. It doesn't!

Nobody from the Government came to investigate. They great myth about the security apparatus in this country, is that it actually exists. It doesn't!

It'll have gone on your file and then if your car sale doesn't tie in with the amount you might get looked at more closely.

Do it more than once and you'll def have too many red alerts next to your name.

I have paid £10K in used notes into a bank recently, and the only security involved was a single question.

Me: I would like to pay this money into my account.

Cashier: To meet our security requirements you will have to answer a question.

Me: OK

Cashier: Where did you get the money?

Me: I sold my car.

Cashier: OK then.

Damn why didn't I say that instead of admitting that it was through selling drugs to school children and the proceeds of an eastern european vice ring!