House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Timm

Downturn In Housing Starts?

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/p...5315508453.html

Special report: Eco-town concept gathers ground

The Government is due to publish its shortlist of eco-town schemes for consultation shortly, following a cross-Government review. The expectation is that ten such new settlements will be developed, across the English regions. The initiative has its immediate roots in the Government's drive for 3m new homes over the next couple of decades.

Originally ministers had proposed a programme of five eco-towns but such was the interest in the concept that the prime minister decided last year to double the number. Gordon Brown announced that move during last year's Labour Party Conference.

Ministers have stressed: "We have an ageing, growing population with more people living alone, and rising housing demand is outstripping new supply. To help families across the country find affordable, quality housing we need to build far more houses.

It seems entirely fitting that the nation which pioneered garden cities should embrace eco-towns 100-years later.

Nice to see Brown attempting to pump supply into the downturn. I doubt they'll be on the garden city model though.

Oh, and where is the money coming from?

It intrigues me that Brown still thinks we need another 3m new homes by 2020. Assuming there are about 24m homes now, that represents ~12.5% increase in supply, allegedly to 'keep prices affordable'. Now, on the flip side, what do you suppose might happen if we had a 31% drop in demand?

The "ECO" tag seems to be a permission slip to do any number of heinus UN-environmentally, economically unsound things. Such as subsidising this BS.

I'll never figure out how "eco" towns are always planned absolutely miles away from public transport :unsure:

Anyway, surely anything that involves massively increasing the supply of houses has got to be good?

It intrigues me that Brown still thinks we need another 3m new homes by 2020. Assuming there are about 24m homes now, that represents ~12.5% increase in supply, allegedly to 'keep prices affordable'. Now, on the flip side, what do you suppose might happen if we had a 31% drop in demand?

Where is the drop in demand going to come from? The population of the south east is unlikely to drop much. Numbers of buyers may well over the next couple of years, but these people all still have to live somewhere - and I don't see large numbers of empty 'homes' in London.

Where is the drop in demand going to come from? The population of the south east is unlikely to drop much. Numbers of buyers may well over the next couple of years, but these people all still have to live somewhere - and I don't see large numbers of empty 'homes' in London.

I was trying to make the point about the BBA stats which came out this morning showing... a 31% drop!

I was trying to make the point about the BBA stats which came out this morning showing... a 31% drop!

But a drop in demand for housing, or for buying? People who rent represent demand for housing - was the point I was trying to make.

Wait until the poles, czech's and lithuanians disappear.

I'll never figure out how "eco" towns are always planned absolutely miles away from public transport :unsure:

Absolutely great that these new "eco towns" need you to have a car!

There is definitely a conflict between "saving" the Environment, and saving the Economy.

In the end, the economy takes precedence, as this is where tax revenues come from.

If you could walk to work, I am sure many people would, but where is the revenue in that? Shoe tax perhaps?

You cannot be green by buying a brand new "hybrid" car to travel from your "eco-home". Surely it's best to run the old one until it

goes to the scrapyard in the sky.

A new car purchase benefits only the manufacturers and the loans companies

Likewise, perhaps it is better to restore current existing housing stock than build these cardboard monstrosities in the middle of nowhere.

Absolutely great that these new "eco towns" need you to have a car!

There is definitely a conflict between "saving" the Environment, and saving the Economy.

In the end, the economy takes precedence, as this is where tax revenues come from.

If you could walk to work, I am sure many people would, but where is the revenue in that? Shoe tax perhaps?

You cannot be green by buying a brand new "hybrid" car to travel from your "eco-home". Surely it's best to run the old one until it

goes to the scrapyard in the sky.

A new car purchase benefits only the manufacturers and the loans companies

Likewise, perhaps it is better to restore current existing housing stock than build these cardboard monstrosities in the middle of nowhere.

But the enviroMENTALists want to park their smug car in the smug garage of their smug house. Hey that is recyclable cardboard right?