House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Badger

Mmm Merryn At It Again

http://www.moneyweek.com

'With household debt rocketing, repossessions rising, the cost of living spiralling and job cuts on the cards, it's high time to sell out of the UK.'

'how to play falling property prices and the weakening pound, plus the investments that look like a much safer bet.'

Edited by Badger

Hmm, don't listen to Merryn, her Sunday Times column's been bearish on just about everything over the years.

Hmm, don't listen to Merryn, her Sunday Times column's been bearish on just about everything over the years.

Doesn't make her inherently wrong though, just early. If you see a risk, then you guard against it. Even though FP and others are now saying the SM is looking like it will rise, I am sitting here with my STR fund, thinking "yeah but how scrued would I be if it doesn't?".

As Fidelity desperately say in all their press releases to get you to buy their funds:

It is almost impossible to time the market. Timing is not important, but time is...

Even though FP and others are now saying the SM is looking like it will rise, I am sitting here with my STR fund, thinking "yeah but how scrued would I be if it doesn't?".

At the risk of appearing ignorant, what does SM stand for? Stock Market?

Edited by The Mad Rapper

I am a fan. :P

Stolen from Merryn Somerset Webb, 29/01/08.

On the plus side you’ll have the interesting experience of finding out what it is really worth. An auction is the purest possible way of finding out the right price for something. There’s no PR, no careful marketing, no estate agent lies or manipulations, no ‘staging’ and no waiting for the ‘right buyer.’ There’s just a man with a hammer and a room full of potential bidders. And the price one of them eventually pays? That’s the market price – the right price for that house given the prevailing market conditions. I wonder if the Battersea penthouse would get £5m if it went to auction.

On the plus side you’ll have the interesting experience of finding out what it is really worth. An auction is the purest possible way of finding out the right price for something. There’s no PR, no careful marketing, no estate agent lies or manipulations, no ‘staging’ and no waiting for the ‘right buyer.’ There’s just a man with a hammer and a room full of potential bidders. And the price one of them eventually pays? That’s the market price – the right price for that house given the prevailing market conditions. I wonder if the Battersea penthouse would get £5m if it went to auction

Rubish, she needs a good kicking

Anyone who has been to auction will realise that one day you pay through the nose and another you get a steal. It all depends on who is in the room, and who has the funds on the day. Each and every day is different, it is no way a reflection of its worth.