House Price Crash Forum

Queue For The Soup Kitchen May Start Here

HOLA441
Bernanke clearly feels that the clock has turned back 78 years to the early months of 1930. He is slashing interest rates because he fears that the Great Depression is just around the corner.

Bernanke has sent out the signal that he cares far more about boosting growth than he does about fighting inflation, which is why the dollar has fallen and gold has gone up. So a return to soup kitchens and dustbowl economics should not be ruled out.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2008/feb/25/economics

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

id like to say, that if it came to it, public soup kitchens and emergency food distribution in the uk would be a load of shite.

just like when areas ran out of clean drinking water in the summer floods,, you have people and chavs ueuing qith 8 buckets at a time.,

the greed rife.

you can guarantee it wont be policed and you can guarantee that others will take more than their fair share.

there is no society thatcher said.

well, once there was. she destroyed it.

HOLA443
id like to say, that if it came to it, public soup kitchens and emergency food distribution in the uk would be a load of shite.

just like when areas ran out of clean drinking water in the summer floods,, you have people and chavs ueuing qith 8 buckets at a time.,

the greed rife.

you can guarantee it wont be policed and you can guarantee that others will take more than their fair share.

Great piece by Larry.

Actually Fred, I had a bit of a Sunday wobbler in the supermarket yesterday - an over-active imagination combined with post-Saturday weariness got me to thinking about how the customers would behave if there were shortages and empty shelves. I shudder to think what some of them would be reduced to.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Great piece by Larry.

Actually Fred, I had a bit of a Sunday wobbler in the supermarket yesterday - an over-active imagination combined with post-Saturday weariness got me to thinking about how the customers would behave if there were shortages and empty shelves. I shudder to think what some of them would be reduced to.

remember, we are only 3 meals away from total anarchy.

HOLA446
HOLA447
I'm only one away. :lol:

I work in Security in Gloucester.

During the flooding, it took only a few days of water "bowsers" and the army

handing out bottled water at Tesco's for fights to start breaking out.

After about ten days, it was actually the sanitation problem that became critical.

At about that stage, you could see on people's faces - a strained, half-desperate

look.

After that stage, we were on a rising alert mode, and then the water returned -

in my opinion, just in time before serious trouble started.

It doesn't take much for civilisation to start breaking down.

HOLA448
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

the greed rife.

Isn't she dead yet?

HOLA449

After about ten days, it was actually the sanitation problem that became critical.

At about that stage, you could see on people's faces - a strained, half-desperate

look.

Town dwellers are mostly ******ing useless.

You should have boiled rainwater and sold it in bottles to the *****.

Edited by DissipatedYouthIsValuable

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

look.

In certain places.

Observe a flood in new orleans and people tearing seven shreds out of each other to stay alive.

Cue massive tsunami in another part of the world and observe how people cling to each other to stay alive.

HOLA4412
In certain places.

Observe a flood in new orleans and people tearing seven shreds out of each other to stay alive.

Cue massive tsunami in another part of the world and observe how people cling to each other to stay alive.

It's the American way.

HOLA4413

I imagine the new orleon floods was a nice time to settle a lot of scores, i bet their was a lot of killing done that was simply put down to death from the floods, not the 2 big guys holding the rival drug dealer's head under water.

When you think about it with all this panicking, you have to remember in the uk there exists quite a large number of people that live in this situation constantly just by sheer lack of purchasing power. Having no food on the shelfs or plenty of food but no means to purchase it amounts to the same thing.

Im suprised there aint more thievery from the under-privledged, considering the conditions of life they must lead.Infact its probably just the fact they are used to it that stops them.I bet the middle classes would turn corrupt a lot quicker giving the same inability to purchase/aquire the same neccessities.

Edited by homeless

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
i was once so hungry and broke i stole cheese from a supermarket.

i thought, well if im caught at least ill get fed.

i should have gone back for crackers though.

and some electricals....

been there myself fred

when i was a student, funnily enough i had a brother sitting on the dole much better off.I had to endure 3 years of sleeping on dole peoples floors because they got there rent paid i didint.

i got 65 pounds a week for everything, 35 of which needed paying back as was student loan.

my bro got about the same money but got his rent paid as well, then of course took 20 pound a week off me too for kipping on his couch.

funny old life ehhh.

never again, it happens again i rob no second thoughts .

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
water, food, petrol, batteries?

Water, maybe, but you can only store enough for drinking. Food, canned or dried only (otherwise goes off). Petrol goes off (under 1 year), batteries go off.

I'd keep:

A good water filter (find a way to collect rainwater)

Bottled gas and a means to cook with it (a camping stove is adequate)

Candles

Matches (keep dry) or a stock of lighters.

Kerosene and a kerosene lamp, a primus stove if you can find one. Kerosene is easier to store than bottled gas. Spare parts for the lamps and stoves.

Soap, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tampons, other personal products. A few lipsticks and stockings for barter.

Lots of warm clothing.

I woudn't have a generator - the noise will attract the wrong sort of person. :(

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
water, food, petrol, batteries?

I think if things got that bad, with a complete breakdown, rioting, looting I'd seriously attempt do myself in. Maybe my survival instinct isn't that great and by stock piling you are only delaying the inevitable.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Oh that old chestnut. What she actually said - in context - was

"They are casting their problems at society. And, you know, there's no such thing as society. There are individual men and women and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look after themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours."

She was saying that it often isn't sensible to blame the Government; you should pulll your finger out. The Government cannot stop you from fighting over your water; only individual men and women can stop fighting.

HOLA4424
been there myself fred

when i was a student, funnily enough i had a brother sitting on the dole much better off.I had to endure 3 years of sleeping on dole peoples floors because they got there rent paid i didint.

i got 65 pounds a week for everything, 35 of which needed paying back as was student loan.

my bro got about the same money but got his rent paid as well, then of course took 20 pound a week off me too for kipping on his couch.

funny old life ehhh.

never again, it happens again i rob no second thoughts .

From whom ?

HOLA4425
Soap, shampoo, razors, toothpaste, tampons, other personal products. A few lipsticks and stockings for barter.

if im gonna have to live like a mountain man, i wanna look like one too ::)

cold water shave every 3 months with a bowie knife will do me

If you are going to live like a mountain man, what are you going to do with tampons ?