House Price Crash Forum
thirdwave

Nr To Be Nationalised!

Darling has been qouted by Sky sources as saying that the govt has finally decided to nationalise the turd...

More details awaited...

Announcement expected within the hour apparently..

Edited by thirdwave

Guest The_Oldie
Anyone on these boards the faintest bit surprised? <_<

No, that's why I went in heavy with their 6.9% bond.

Anyone on these boards the faintest bit surprised? <_<

Well, no...but watch the FTSE/pound tank on Monday. With some luck, we might even get to see the back of Broon as a result of this..

What I want to know is - Is it worth shorting the shares today on IGINDEX?

What exactly happens to the shares over the next few days?

AFP

As long as you can short them for 0p 'cause that's what they are gonna be worth tomorrow morning :lol:

Darling has been qouted by Sky sources as saying that the govt has finally decided to nationalise the turd...

Rock & Roll - I was right. :D

What happens next, however, I'm far less clear about. Are they likely to run-down the books, or do they intend to use a nationalised mortgage lender to control house prices?

:-S

If Northern Rock intends to continue to look for new custom, who will set the rates, and on what basis? Can't the other mortgage lenders argue that Northern Rock has an unfair advantage?

I wonder what the reaction of the Monaco boys will be? (SRM, RAB)

Less than happy I imagine.

Rock & Roll - I was right. :D

What happens next, however, I'm far less clear about. Are they likely to run-down the books, or do they intend to use a nationalised mortgage lender to control house prices?

:-S

If Northern Rock intends to continue to look for new custom, who will set the rates, and on what basis? Can't the other mortgage lenders argue that Northern Rock has an unfair advantage?

NR will be the 'peoples bank' and Dictator Brown will pass some legislation make it mandatory to use NR for all UK residents!

On a more serious note though, anyone currently being subjected to repossession action by NR at the moment is now effectively being turfed onto the streets by our very own Government.

'Nice one darling'

AFP.

What exactly happens to the shares over the next few days?

AFP

1) They should now be worthless

2) better still :-They assume a negative value for those who bought after the big event & stay that way ..... in a Lloyds name way.

3) Something immoral is about to happen.............again

NR will be the 'peoples bank' and Dictator Brown will pass some legislation make it mandatory to use NR for all UK residents!

Well, it looks that way to me. My deposits are only safe up-to £35K at *any other* bank. Northern rock not only outstrip every competitor on interest rates for savers, but also - by virtue of being nationally owned - represent risk-free savings.

This can't go down well with other banks.

So if they are nationalised, will they be able to issue their own currency?

If they repossess houses - will they become centrally held council houses?

On a more serious note though, anyone currently being subjected to repossession action by NR at the moment is now effectively being turfed onto the streets by our very own Government.

If you have a Northern Rock mortgage and a Labour MP with a narrow majority then paying the mortgage is now optional. Watch the "payment holidays" go through the roof.