House Price Crash Forum

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am sooo glad I popped in this morning,,,,,,,,2 raise of hope.

But get ready for the backlash, this board does´nt like positive responses.....lol

And you are right, I should get on with doing what i´m doing and not get into slanging matches on here........wastes my time.

Good luck to you

We lived in spain for 3 years . my advice is [ dont do it ] we managed to sell but it touck 18 months ..all our friends have returned or are trying to. .but the market is dead... one friend had there villa on the market for 30 months it started at 340.000 euros .. they slowly reduced when it did not sell ... it was with 5 estate agents they sold in the end for190.000 ..there was just no buyers ...The other thing to remember is that spain is one of the most corupt countries in Europe..........good luck

We lived in spain for 3 years . my advice is [ dont do it ] we managed to sell but it touck 18 months ..all our friends have returned or are trying to. .but the market is dead... one friend had there villa on the market for 30 months it started at 340.000 euros .. they slowly reduced when it did not sell ... it was with 5 estate agents they sold in the end for190.000 ..there was just no buyers ...The other thing to remember is that spain is one of the most corupt countries in Europe..........good luck

Where was your property? This is the most important information. Wasn't Torrievieja by any chance was it? Perhaps somehwere on the Costa Blanca?

Where was your property? This is the most important information. Wasn't Torrievieja by any chance was it? Perhaps somehwere on the Costa Blanca?

adibrown - stop asking pointless questions - the fact is, it doesn't really matter where it is, does it? Outrageous oversupply into a rapidly hardening market vacuum with rising interest rates is pulling the whole thing apart. Are you guys for real? Jesus! I know several people who bought in diverse areas of Spain during 2003/2004 and now - can't shift the concrete man!

Wakey wakey! Smell the coffee!

adibrown - stop asking pointless questions - the fact is, it doesn't really matter where it is, does it? Outrageous oversupply into a rapidly hardening market vacuum with rising interest rates is pulling the whole thing apart. Are you guys for real? Jesus! I know several people who bought in diverse areas of Spain during 2003/2004 and now - can't shift the concrete man!

How come you dont post anywhere else Catemite? 11 posts all on this topic. Seems strange. Why the obsession with Spanish property? Your not somebody who got priced out of teh market by any chance are you? I meet loads of people especially older generation who go on about it not lasting etc. They all wanted to move to Spain butwaited just that bit too long.

My commiserations to you. May be you could look at Bulgaria and leave everyone alone to enjoy Spain.

Also why is it a pointless question to ask them where it is?

If somebody came on to the forums and said "I lived in the UK and I really hated it where I was and it is a real nightmare and prices are dropping etc" Do you think we wouldnt be entitled to say where in the Uk where you?

I think you've been drinking something stronger than coffee my boy. may be you should wake up and drink the coffee ;)

HI all .. our house was in la Nucia near Altea..... yes the costa blanca not far from terra mitica golf and them park ...but we had travelld all over spain looking for the the dream , and the more we looked the more disollusioned we became ,,we must have looked at 70 or more from north of Valencia down to murcia . .god knows how many times we was lied to by the estate agents ie.....its just come on the market ......... then you find out its its been on for 3 years .......or no the sea never floods the area ...... then the locals tell you..... in a storm the sea backs up the river and the river floods the area.....and then thers......yes it will be built in 9 months.......then you bump in to others who have been wating 30 months for there home to be started............ it seemed that every place we looked at there was a problem ......... its been said its the stupid brits that buy in the bad parts of spain that gave spain a bad reputation ......is having a dream of a new life and home in any part of spain so stupid??????or is it the the ones who prey on the stupid brits with a dream ....the ones that have cond and twisted the stupid brits .....and now thers no stupid brits left to con they will blam it on ever one else but them selves IE [estate agents.....builders ......developers ] ....thats it full stop.......most brits know this now even the stupid ones.........we all know there is parts of spain where you can still pick a honest deal in a good area but its few and fare between.............i think the whole of spain will suffer in the long term ..... its a shame that the greed and the cons of a few have spoilt the dreams of so many ..............all the best to all on thi site P&S

How come you dont post anywhere else Catemite? 11 posts all on this topic. Seems strange. Why the obsession with Spanish property? Your not somebody who got priced out of teh market by any chance are you? I meet loads of people especially older generation who go on about it not lasting etc. They all wanted to move to Spain butwaited just that bit too long.

My commiserations to you. May be you could look at Bulgaria and leave everyone alone to enjoy Spain.

Also why is it a pointless question to ask them where it is?

If somebody came on to the forums and said "I lived in the UK and I really hated it where I was and it is a real nightmare and prices are dropping etc" Do you think we wouldnt be entitled to say where in the Uk where you?

I think you've been drinking something stronger than coffee my boy. may be you should wake up and drink the coffee ;)

ho ho ho Father Christmas Catamite here!

I don't post elsewhere because I have several properties in Ireland and two in the UK, bought in the since early nineties, renting well and appreciating more than pleasantly. A friend pursuaded me to throw a couple of hundred grand farther afield in a Spanish development and i thought, what the hell - rent it, maybe use it occasionally (oh, the romance of it all!), probably sell it in '06 when built (bought off-plan in late '03). I just think it's hilarious - the Spanish situation is SO bad that some my other properties bought in a similar timeframe have appreciated by an amount similar to the FULL COST of the Spanish apartment. I can't rent it for hell, so guess I'll just hunker down for 10 years or so until the smoke clears. I have endless fun taking the **** out of my pal, who bought TWO similar Spanish lemons. We both realise now that the overbuilding in Spain was endemic/corrupt in equal measure and we never really had a hope, but see the amusing side and can laugh about it - which is the main thing, right? Either way, I can easily absorb my one mistake and learn from it - but also revel in passing on the reality to you loonies! I love these posts - but only once every couple of weeks!

p.s. my best purchase was a south Dublin 3-bed semi in '95 for 82,500 IRP (~100K euro) - now could sell for >800K euro but the rent is just too sweet, might offload in '07 though because even Ireland is making me a trifle uneasy now. What's your portfolio anyway? Don't tell me it's mostly Spanish - you'll give me a hernia....! Or perhaps a prolapsed rectum! Love your replies though...keep 'em coming

Ho ho ho - also, who cares where it is in Spain, mostly the poo slides en masse, only the algebraic differential varies in this equation (i.e. the dX/dY of the curve - Allme, look up Newton's "Principae" to check that one out - your lack of schooling in early life will precipitate this extra effort now - see, ignorance doesn't pay off in the long term, does it?!)

"mark my words, there'll be many a sad Christmas....."

And there it is.......mark my words......the sign of a true OLDIE......And I still have´nt had answer...................

And i probably wont, what with your old age helping you to forget things............

You bought a shite holw, in a shite hole area and you still hold a grudge, because you screwed up and dont have the balls to say it out loud............come on little boy...............

ho ho ho Father Christmas Catamite here!

I don't post elsewhere because I have several properties in Ireland and two in the UK, bought in the since early nineties, renting well and appreciating more than pleasantly. A friend pursuaded me to throw a couple of hundred grand farther afield in a Spanish development and i thought, what the hell - rent it, maybe use it occasionally (oh, the romance of it all!), probably sell it in '06 when built (bought off-plan in late '03). I just think it's hilarious - the Spanish situation is SO bad that some my other properties bought in a similar timeframe have appreciated by an amount similar to the FULL COST of the Spanish apartment. I can't rent it for hell, so guess I'll just hunker down for 10 years or so until the smoke clears. I have endless fun taking the **** out of my pal, who bought TWO similar Spanish lemons. We both realise now that the overbuilding in Spain was endemic/corrupt in equal measure and we never really had a hope, but see the amusing side and can laugh about it - which is the main thing, right? Either way, I can easily absorb my one mistake and learn from it - but also revel in passing on the reality to you loonies! I love these posts - but only once every couple of weeks!

p.s. my best purchase was a south Dublin 3-bed semi in '95 for 82,500 IRP (~100K euro) - now could sell for >800K euro but the rent is just too sweet, might offload in '07 though because even Ireland is making me a trifle uneasy now. What's your portfolio anyway? Don't tell me it's mostly Spanish - you'll give me a hernia....! Or perhaps a prolapsed rectum! Love your replies though...keep 'em coming

Ho ho ho - also, who cares where it is in Spain, mostly the poo slides en masse, only the algebraic differential varies in this equation (i.e. the dX/dY of the curve - Allme, look up Newton's "Principae" to check that one out - your lack of schooling in early life will precipitate this extra effort now - see, ignorance doesn't pay off in the long term, does it?!)

Ahhhh I see I get it now...of course. You made a bad investment and now you're trying to convince yourself through these posts that it is Spain that is the bad investment not your choice of development/area.

I have to break it to you but I could have given a 3 year old a marker pen in the early nineties and he could have picked properties that would have made huge returns. The real skill comes in areas like Spain, it really is a complex market and some people win some people lose. Unfortunately you are a loser :rolleyes:

Kitty Kat

You seem to take great pleasure with the fact that I openly admit that i did´nt go to school, and repeatedly attack this as a form of sacasim, it baffels me really..............but then sooo much baffels me that comes out of the mouth of educated people, I find mostly because of the lack of common sense.....which to be honest is Rife with educated people................amusing very amusing.

So as it seems to please you and because of your real lack of knowledge / education..I´ll shall LET you continue down the one and only road you seem able to go down....But no I actually feel sorry for you, so heres some more info on me so you can come up with maybe some better remarks.............

1) I did´nt go to school......(we know that already)

2) Most of my freinds are either dead or in prison....

3) I have saved more lives than I care to remember...(INCLUDING YOURS, when I was in the military)

4) I have been stabbed and Shot.....(stabbed in the head whilst stoppping two cowards beating up a pregnant lady in London)

5) Lost almost everything whilst living in the UK.......because of some VERY bad decisions

6) I´ve trained in 3 different Martial arts

7) I got heavily into steroids whilst weight training for the Martial Arts

8) Moved to Spain....and earn more money here than I ever could over in the UK....................................

9) I now live a very very good life, so does my Daughter and Wife

10)....OH yeah and I am extremley happy...maiking money for my family and other families

Some come on mate there is some really juicey ones on there, so what have you got.

Becasue frankly you posts are very boring and we do need to spice things up a bit, so you obvioulsy needed the help

Enjoy

Me

Hi all ..... to much slaging off on here for us its just a wast of time...........and to all that a looking to move to spain the best advice that any one could is to rent first ....spain has the best off a lot of things , it allso has the best con men remember this 24/7.... take time over [all ]things you do .....and if it looks to good to be true... it proberbly is .....i have seen a lot about on here about Murcia/almeria ,, sounds nice, fantastic in fact????????? i wonder where all the con men will go now the C Blanca /C Del Sol have gone flat ????????? good luck and good byeeeeeeeeeeeee... never to return to this site

Hi all ..... to much slaging off on here for us its just a wast of time...........and to all that a looking to move to spain the best advice that any one could is to rent first ....spain has the best off a lot of things , it allso has the best con men remember this 24/7.... take time over [all ]things you do .....and if it looks to good to be true... it proberbly is .....i have seen a lot about on here about Murcia/almeria ,, sounds nice, fantastic in fact????????? i wonder where all the con men will go now the C Blanca /C Del Sol have gone flat ????????? good luck and good byeeeeeeeeeeeee... never to return to this site

Now look what you have done Kitty Kat..................cant you be nice for one day......lol

See ya Paul / Sally, jeezz another I ******ed up so lets blame everyone else............theres loads on here like that, Herds

i wonder where all the con men will go now the C Blanca /C Del Sol have gone flat

Where they already are: in Albania busy selling away completely overpriced properties to poor Brits and Irish alike promising huge capital growth of 40% p.a. har har har. :rolleyes:

Edited by Drakan

You could be right on that ....but one things for shure there all over the costa blanca and sol . and the more they hear stories of brits buying in numbers in murcia/almira where do you think they will head . its a open invitation for all, it will just end up the same...................--- smashing my computer now so i cant return to this site.......................---joking byeeeeeeeeee

You could be right on that ....but one things for shure there all over the costa blanca and sol . and the more they hear stories of brits buying in numbers in murcia/almira where do you think they will head . its a open invitation for all, it will just end up the same...................--- smashing my computer now so i cant return to this site.......................---joking byeeeeeeeeee

The Costa Almeria is a very popular resort for people from Madrid. They make sure that crime doesnt come to their area. Add to that the fact that Almeria/Murcia simply dont have the nightclubs and bars that Blanca and Del Sol have and you have an area unattractiveto gangsters. I mean not too many 60 year olds arebuying drugs these days B) unless I'm missing something.

Blanca and Del Sol were known as party areas of Spain and as such attracted large amounts of young people looking to get off their heads on alcohol and unfortunately drugs. This attracted gangs of criminals. Simple as that. Doesnt exist in Almeria/Murcia. Might be a few criminals knocking around but unlike UK the Guardia Civil in Almeria dont let them off with a fry up and a warning in the morning. These guys get the beating of their lives and wake up on a ferry to Morroco. Spanish justice you've got to admire it B)

Kitty Kat

You seem to take great pleasure with the fact that I openly admit that i did´nt go to school, and repeatedly attack this as a form of sacasim, it baffels me really..............but then sooo much baffels me that comes out of the mouth of educated people, I find mostly because of the lack of common sense.....which to be honest is Rife with educated people................amusing very amusing.

So as it seems to please you and because of your real lack of knowledge / education..I´ll shall LET you continue down the one and only road you seem able to go down....But no I actually feel sorry for you, so heres some more info on me so you can come up with maybe some better remarks.............

1) I did´nt go to school......(we know that already)

2) Most of my freinds are either dead or in prison....

3) I have saved more lives than I care to remember...(INCLUDING YOURS, when I was in the military)

4) I have been stabbed and Shot.....(stabbed in the head whilst stoppping two cowards beating up a pregnant lady in London)

5) Lost almost everything whilst living in the UK.......because of some VERY bad decisions

6) I´ve trained in 3 different Martial arts

7) I got heavily into steroids whilst weight training for the Martial Arts

8) Moved to Spain....and earn more money here than I ever could over in the UK....................................

9) I now live a very very good life, so does my Daughter and Wife

10)....OH yeah and I am extremley happy...maiking money for my family and other families

Some come on mate there is some really juicey ones on there, so what have you got.

Becasue frankly you posts are very boring and we do need to spice things up a bit, so you obvioulsy needed the help

Enjoy

Me

"Methinks the Lady (you, in this case) doth protest too much"

In otherwords, I sense a little defensiveness in your outpourings!

Glad that you're happy though - that's the main thing!

Will you not finally admit that the Spanish property market has it's head screwed firmly up it's own asshole at this stage? As commented elsewhere, even the conmen have left the sinking ship!

Yee-hah!

irredeemable degenerate

"Methinks the Lady (you, in this case) doth protest too much"

In otherwords, I sense a little defensiveness in your outpourings!

Glad that you're happy though - that's the main thing!

Will you not finally admit that the Spanish property market has it's head screwed firmly up it's own asshole at this stage? As commented elsewhere, even the conmen have left the sinking ship!

Yee-hah!

irredeemable degenerate

NO I wont admit to any untruth.......................WHAT SO EVER.

Not in the slightest, and regarding your "lady" out burst....how the hell did you know......I have´nt told anyone about my weekend adventures

xx

Can anybody share any personal experience regarding buying property in spain for investment purposes mainly, has it worked out for you , should you have bought elsewhere and would you do it again

Hi we live in Spain and we are based near Torrevieja. There is a deep recession taking place and property is just not selling. Letting is very difficult as well plus in addition to that taxes are high. One would have to pay 25% tax on 'GROSS' rental income to start with.

It most definately is not a country to invest in. Property sales are down 50%

Racism is on the increase as well.

Take a look at http://www.racistspain.com

regards

Rupert

01-09-2006

I and my partner have lived in Spain for the last 10 years. We noticed the start of a decline in 'resale' property sales some 18 months ago.

Now the situation is very bad. #Reports in local newspapers mention that new property sales are down by upto 50%. We see every day properties that have been on the market for the last 18 months. Many English who originally lived here have now returned to the UK.

The recession is being fuelled by a saturation of new properties. Indeed there is also a saturation of different trades and businesses. As a consequence many businesses are either up for sale or closed down.

We have also experienced a growing trend by the Spanish towards racist remarks and actions.

Take a look at this website which details the latest news reports and EU directives regarding Spain:

http://www.racistspain.com

There are many reasons why Spain is no longer a healthy country to invest your money in.

we are based near Torrevieja.

Ha Ha say no more :lol:

You really are screwed :lol:

Whatever you do dont judge Spain on Torrevieja :lol:

Its quite possibly the worst investment anybody could make, I have to agree with you on that one. I'm surprised you can sell after even a 50% drop in prices. No disrespect but I wouldn't buy there for £100. I remember going to an overseas property exhibition in Hull 3 years ago and they were selling 2 bed villas for £30k. I remember looking to my dad and saying "That is going to be one big council estate in 2-3 years time. Everybody in the expo was selling their right to buy council homes in Hull and "making a new life" in Torrevieja. Of course everybody a year later was told their £30k villa was now worth £100k - hence the 50% drop in prices. The sad thing is many of the estate chavs would have made more keeping their Right to Buys, what they hadnt accounted for is that the Spanish market is much more suceptable to Chav areas. In other words there are 3 types of buyers.

A -Those with £70k and below - These buy in Costa Blanca (torrevieja, benidorm) or areas such as Torremelinos. They are also seen venturing inland for so called "bargains". Ruins that farmers sell for £20k. See Albox. tend to be adventorous doleys or cheap skate second homers.

B -Those with £70k - £180k - These guys are your second homers. They will buy apartments in all of the costas. they are looking either for BTL opportunities or holiday homes. Occasionaly they will venture into A's territory and make a bad investment.

C- Those with £180k+ - These are your retirees or rich second homers. They are looking for villas and townhouses in exclusive areas where you may find the odd B but will certainly never have to mix with A's.

Now as far as I can see the A's are keeping even or making slight losses. The B's are breaking even and making slight gains although the BTL opportunity isnt as good as they would have liked. The C's are making good gains.

The market is made up of those that buy in Spain because its cheap (These are price driven and put off by HPI in Spain, hence lowering demand) and those that are willing to pay a bit more and look around for somewhere nice and exclusive - They are not price driven and as a result buy in areas where when it comes to reselling are not affected by the fact that prices have increased because their area attracts others that are not price driven.

Letting is very difficult as well plus in addition to that taxes are high. One would have to pay 25% tax on 'GROSS' rental income to start with.

This statement is absolute rubbish. ignore it. Spain issued a Non residents tax and scrapped taxes on rental incomes a few years back. The tax equates to 0.25% of your esceturia value. On a £120k villa it equates to about £300 a year.

Edited by adibrown

Been thinking of buying a villa in moraira costa blanca

what do you think of price risks and land grab risks there?

We have lived in Spain for the last 10 years.

it most definately is not a healthy country to invest your money in.

Property is not selling ,estate agents are going out of business weekly, bars and cafes are closing down. there is no money around.

Take a look at http://racistspain.com

This website gives a clear picture of the situation in Spain.

Regards

Rupert

Hi Rupert Bear,

P&S here. Ex La Nucia, near Altea on the Costa Blanca. Back in the U.K. now. Detected the crash and got out 18 months ago. As Adi has pointed out, Torrevieja is probably the worst hit but believe me, the whole of the Costa Blanca has taken a plunge. If you want to see more of Adi's opinions and sometimes ravings, under property investment, click on number 6 (Game Over in Spain). Probably best to go to the last page and work back. Good luck guys, but it's beginning to look very clear that the whole of Spain will probably suffer big time although many are trying to prop it up. As you will see, Adi is not really such a bad person, just loves Spain and will go to any extremes to defend it and probably just does not realise that this time it really is 'Game Over in Spain'.

P&S

we are based near Torrevieja.

Ha Ha say no more :lol:

You really are screwed :lol:

Whatever you do dont judge Spain on Torrevieja :lol:

Its quite possibly the worst investment anybody could make, I have to agree with you on that one. I'm surprised you can sell after even a 50% drop in prices. No disrespect but I wouldn't buy there for £100. I remember going to an overseas property exhibition in Hull 3 years ago and they were selling 2 bed villas for £30k. I remember looking to my dad and saying "That is going to be one big council estate in 2-3 years time. Everybody in the expo was selling their right to buy council homes in Hull and "making a new life" in Torrevieja. Of course everybody a year later was told their £30k villa was now worth £100k - hence the 50% drop in prices. The sad thing is many of the estate chavs would have made more keeping their Right to Buys, what they hadnt accounted for is that the Spanish market is much more suceptable to Chav areas. In other words there are 3 types of buyers.

A -Those with £70k and below - These buy in Costa Blanca (torrevieja, benidorm) or areas such as Torremelinos. They are also seen venturing inland for so called "bargains". Ruins that farmers sell for £20k. See Albox. tend to be adventorous doleys or cheap skate second homers.

B -Those with £70k - £180k - These guys are your second homers. They will buy apartments in all of the costas. they are looking either for BTL opportunities or holiday homes. Occasionaly they will venture into A's territory and make a bad investment.

C- Those with £180k+ - These are your retirees or rich second homers. They are looking for villas and townhouses in exclusive areas where you may find the odd B but will certainly never have to mix with A's.

Now as far as I can see the A's are keeping even or making slight losses. The B's are breaking even and making slight gains although the BTL opportunity isnt as good as they would have liked. The C's are making good gains.

The market is made up of those that buy in Spain because its cheap (These are price driven and put off by HPI in Spain, hence lowering demand) and those that are willing to pay a bit more and look around for somewhere nice and exclusive - They are not price driven and as a result buy in areas where when it comes to reselling are not affected by the fact that prices have increased because their area attracts others that are not price driven.

Letting is very difficult as well plus in addition to that taxes are high. One would have to pay 25% tax on 'GROSS' rental income to start with.

This statement is absolute rubbish. ignore it. Spain issued a Non residents tax and scrapped taxes on rental incomes a few years back. The tax equates to 0.25% of your esceturia value. On a £120k villa it equates to about £300 a year.

Your talking about the suma tax. I can assure you that the tax on the Gross letting value is 25% the tax you mention is suma. This year the local town halls employed staff to check out all holiday letting advertised in newspapers, internet etc. There are strict guide lines to letting. We work within the legal field inSpain and if you take a look at my website www.racistspain.com you will find links to lawyers who will confirm all levels of taxation in Spain. Non residents tax is very very much in force thankyou , The idiots have just taken a non residents tax directly form my bank account in Spain.

Take a look at the website and click on the lawyer links and you will see all the different tax levels. Certianly they confirm that Spain is most definately not a place to wisely invest money in.

We ourselves would love to see the bubble burst with the result of high unemployment, closed businesses and a destruction of the Spanish system. Fortunately we sold our properties in spain 18 months ago before the real onset of these problems. However we remain in Spain temporarily because the Spanish owe us a great deal of money which we intend to get back at any cost. Hints to this are on the website.

regards

Rupert

We quite agree. We were lucky to sell a house in Spain some 18 months ago. It was inland about 1 hour from alicante and only took one week to sell. However we have friends all over the Costa Blanca from Denia to Torrevieja and there is a major problem all along the coast with people trying to sell their properties. Spain has become very expensive, those on a fixed income from the UK will be finding it much harder to make ends meet.

We have experienced a trend from several Spanish people towards racism against not only the English but other nationalities as well.

Many cafes and bars have closed down and many more are up for sale. Today we took a walk around the residential end of Torrevieja. Next week we will take photos which we will upload onto this forum and a website to show people how depressed the area is together with the fact that there is graffiti everywhere and run down apartments and boarded up shops.

The Spanish have brought htis upon themselves by over saturation of property building, Land Grab laws, Illegal Buildings, Corruption, Racism within the police, Violent Crime ...the list goes on.

Take a look at http://racistspain.com

This website details the latest newspaper reports plus much more

regards

Rupert