House Price Crash Forum

Fear, Loathing And Graffiti The Nightmare Of City Living In Birmingham.

well, can't argue with that, but I would say to the young the whole area is now known as digbeth, and the top end is towards camp hill roundabout, in the same way the top end of broad street is near 5 ways.

As for the rats, whilst I can beleive they do exist along the rea, i've walked all along it underneath buildings/roads/bridges for miles, and didn't see one rat!

Thats interesting because thats how things move on. The top end of anywhere in Birmingham was always at the top of any sloping thoroughfare however slight. Its funny to see Digbeth as an area today but I suppose thats what happened to the Bull ring in my lifetime. When I was thirteen I worked on a fish stall in the old market hall just up from woolworths in Spiceal Street. The street led down to Edgbaston Street in a line roughly following the walkway from new st down to the rag market today.

If I had arranged to meet my mate in the Bull ring I knew that he would be waiting in an area behind and close to Nelsons statue just a few feet across from the Market hall entrance. The Bull ring was the top end of Digbeth where it met the bottom end of the High Street.

When the area was demolished in the early sixties a new development called the Bull ring centre wiped out most of the surrounding area . The whole area then became known as the Bull ring. When that was demolished and replaced a few years ago the area was redefined again. If today you asked someone to meet you in the Bull ring they would ask you whereabouts. When I was a teenager and arranged a meet in Digbeth it always meant the area between Digbeth police station and the manzil indian restaurant next door. You are seeing history in the making with an area being redefined. Its still better to keep a proper local historical name than invent something new such as Star City or Heartlands which is meaningless.

Its rare to see a rat in Birmingham city centre in daylight hours but you will never be more than a few feet from one.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thats interesting because thats how things move on. The top end of anywhere in Birmingham was always at the top of any sloping thoroughfare however slight. Its funny to see Digbeth as an area today but I suppose thats what happened to the Bull ring in my lifetime. When I was thirteen I worked on a fish stall in the old market hall just up from woolworths in Spiceal Street. The street led down to Edgbaston Street in a line roughly following the walkway from new st down to the rag market today.

If I had arranged to meet my mate in the Bull ring I knew that he would be waiting in an area behind and close to Nelsons statue just a few feet across from the Market hall entrance. The Bull ring was the top end of Digbeth where it met the bottom end of the High Street.

When the area was demolished in the early sixties a new development called the Bull ring centre wiped out most of the surrounding area . The whole area then became known as the Bull ring. When that was demolished and replaced a few years ago the area was redefined again. If today you asked someone to meet you in the Bull ring they would ask you whereabouts. When I was a teenager and arranged a meet in Digbeth it always meant the area between Digbeth police station and the manzil indian restaurant next door. You are seeing history in the making with an area being redefined. Its still better to keep a proper local historical name than invent something new such as Star City or Heartlands which is meaningless.

Its rare to see a rat in Birmingham city centre in daylight hours but you will never be more than a few feet from one.

Yes the rats are Like a lot of the people , they come out at night working in hotels as they are illegal immigrants !! Birmingham to me is just like a upmarket Bombay or Karachi ! I would not live there if you paid me to , rather live on a beach in a tent !!

Yes the rats are Like a lot of the people , they come out at night working in hotels as they are illegal immigrants !! Birmingham to me is just like a upmarket Bombay or Karachi ! I would not live there if you paid me to , rather live on a beach in a tent !!

I know it sounds daft but the council have constructed a small sandy beach complete with deck chairs next to birmngham town hall. Does anyone on this site know why ?

A bit of an unfair comparison regardless of the rights or wrongs of immigration, and as much as birmingham has its problems, its not that bad a place, I guess it depends on what area you live though.

However, do any of you brummies feel that certain attractions in the city are increasingly becoming 'ghettoised', i.e. star city being a good example, I was there the other week and it seemed most of the restaurents had flopped to be replaced by asian restaurents and sweet shops.

I was in the bullring the other day on saturday, and it was just big gangs of kids everywhere, and I felt like the minority being white, police doing stop searches, not exactly the family shopping environment the developers had in mind. It was almost a hostile atmoshphere, I had a friend who worked in the bullring and he said fights were always kicking off between black and asian kids after school.

Its a similar story with clubs in birmingham, certain clubs become known for one group and everyone else stays away... It must be a bit of a problem for club owners.

Guest Bart of Darkness
I'm across the road from Cheapside, what amazes me is that Birmingham City Council have planned all these thousands of flats but have not provided any infrastructure such as shops, cash machines or garages.

They probably anticipated that no one would actually want to go out.

During Barty's Party. Very scary episode of "Beasts".

I know it sounds daft but the council have constructed a small sandy beach complete with deck chairs next to birmngham town hall. Does anyone on this site know why ?

Sheffield did something similar with "Sheffield by the Sea". Maybe they had a load of sand left over from a municipal building project.

Loved this quote from the BBC link about the Rotunda:

"It's got the X factor; it's iconic; it's THE address in Birmingham. I feel rock 'n' roll when I see the Rotunda!"

Tav, the proud owner of two Rotunda apartments

Rock 'n' roll or shiver and shake? If he feels like that he's either suffering from Meniere's syndrome or staggering under the weight of accumulated debt.

Tav me old son, you're a dick!

Edited by Bart of Darkness
Talking about the river Rea, when I posted earlier about the local rat problem I forgot to say that a rat catcher told me that one of the largest and oldest rat runs in Britain followed the line of the river Rea both above and below the surface. The rats usually move along the run about 4am when traffic is light. The two ends of the rat run were the meat market in Cheapside and the cattle market and refuse tip in Montague Street in Bordesley. He said that large above ground movements by rats took place when the river culvert was flooded. He also told me that at each end was two distinct tribes of rat that at been around for hundreds of years. The new developements have been built over the rat run. Buyers beware.

If I recall. that famous Birmingham group, UB 40, had a hit with a song: "There's a rat in mi kichen what am I gonna do?" Didn't they just live round the corner in Balsall Heath? I didn't realise it was probably based on a true life experience. Perhaps the new residents of Digbeth will have a similar experience shortly once the rats get into the service pipes and ducts of their 'luxury' apartments. :lol::lol::lol:

There are 9 pathfinder areas in England, I think they go through a trillion pounds or something. It consists of putting up railings, CCTV, car parking spaces and demolishing shops. Building clone high streets and being ripped off by the builders who underqoute and then go into receivership, Compulsary purchase orders where the new barrat home costs 80K more than you were given.

Failing to fix any of the underlying reasons for deprivation and crime while refusing to repair homes under threat of demolition, so one old lady ends up living in a empty street or social cleansing on a grand scale.

http://www.knuttoncrossheath.co.uk/Environ...provements.html

Before

Image1thumb.jpg

After?

Image2thumb.jpg

Before

Peake-Street-Before_thumb.jpg

After?

Peake-street-after_thumb.jpg

Before

Weston_Rd_before.jpg

After??

Weston_Rd_after.jpg

Before

Image9thumb.jpg

After?????

Image10thumb.jpg

Launched in 2002, the government has committed £2.2 billion to fund the initiative up to 2011.

It has already seen 40,000 homes refurbished, 1,110 built and 10,200 demolished

Wow. Anyone for concrete? This looks like a "See a tree kill a tree" programme.

If I recall. that famous Birmingham group, UB 40, had a hit with a song: "There's a rat in mi kichen what am I gonna do?" Didn't they just live round the corner in Balsall Heath? I didn't realise it was probably based on a true life experience. Perhaps the new residents of Digbeth will have a similar experience shortly once the rats get into the service pipes and ducts of their 'luxury' apartments. :lol::lol::lol:

Many a true word spoken in jest. Rats love ducts and service pipes.

The song to which you refer, made famous by the brummie supergroup UB40, was actually a lament.

In Balsall Heath in the eighties it was something of a disgrace to have only one rat in the kitchen. People aspired to at least six rats in a regular size kitchen. Particulary as Balsall Heath "benefits" from the river Rea passing through its tree lined avenues. (I think I must be turning into an EA)

Many a true word spoken in jest. Rats love ducts and service pipes.

The song to which you refer, made famous by the brummie supergroup UB40, was actually a lament.

In Balsall Heath in the eighties it was something of a disgrace to have only one rat in the kitchen. People aspired to at least six rats in a regular size kitchen. Particulary as Balsall Heath "benefits" from the river Rea passing through its tree lined avenues. (I think I must be turning into an EA)

Interesting that UB40 bought its first instruments with compensation money that lead singer Ali Campbell 'earned' after a fight in a pub on his 17th birthday. Compensation culture gone mad? <_< You should go into business training EAs to wax lyrical properly - they'll need it in the near future. :lol::lol::lol:

• 8 months later...
My so called landlord bought 54 properties off plan in one block purchase at the end of 2006.

The management company have been unable to contact them and the Landlord (Midas Holding International) appear to have done either done a runner or are just avoiding paying the tens of thousands it has in arrears for the upkeep of the building.

Here is the info I have from company's house, it appears they have never filed accounts and they are now overdue.

Name & Registered Office:

MIDAS HOLDINGS (INTERNATIONAL) LIMITED

5 CHASE HOUSE PARK PLAZA

HAYES WAY

CANNOCK

WEST MIDLANDS WS12 2DD

Company No. 05668289

Date of Incorporation: 06/01/2006

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7032 - Manage real estate, fee or contract

Accounting Reference Date: 31/01

Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)

Next Accounts Due: 06/11/2007 OVERDUE

Last Return Made Up To: 06/01/2007

Next Return Due: 03/02/2008

My flat was sold for about a quarter of a million pounds, its in Birmingham, yes Birmingham not the Bahamas not Miami, flipping Birmingham,, its a one bedroom flat. I rest my case m'lord.

The building in question if the "Flagship" regeneration of the Eastside in Birmingham, The Abacus Building, in Digbeth.

Abacus Digbeth

I went to a coucil meeting the other night attended by the head of planning for Birmingham, Clive Dutton.

Im Clive Dutton

It was interesting that he mentioned problems ahead for planning because of the credit crunch. He mentioned developers getting cold feet, pulling out etc. I wonder if he is worried about the 700 flats he has just commissioned further down in Digbeth, heralded as the next Brindley Place.

Bradford Street, Total Disaster in the making.

Anyway for anyone interested in the benefits of city center living here a picture of the graffiti in my stairwell that appeared the other night in my so called luxury executive apartment. Clearly evidence that chavs, dss are now being offered rented accommodation here.

Graffiti in sold called executive flats

I'm just glad that im renting and my lease is up in two months time.

BUMP - On of these £240,000 appartments sold at auction today for........... £71,500! :oAuction result linky

240k for a flat in Digbeth was just the absolute apex of insanity. On a par with 250k in Carlisle.

3.5 x a wage of 68k :blink:

Tree-lined boulevards - I got the same line this September from an EA when I tried to explain why I didn't want to live there. This September mind. To think people believed it would regenerate to be worth 240k... in years to come this belief will look like alchemy or astrology look now.

Even so, ouch.

Thanks for posting the auction.

Edited by bimyo

Great thread! I know the area well, I drink in Digbeth quite a lot, gutted Clearys has closed.

Loads of Irish pubs, and not just on the main drag, in back streets too. Used to go there before Blues games as St Andrews is only 10 minutes away. Open to 6am some of them, the current favourite is Henneseys if you like your music loud & your women, er, loud. Digbeth/Cheapside is a great place to drink, but as has been said, the infrastructure isn't there for all the flats they're building. And I read last month that brum city council have had a re-think on their plans for Eastside due to investement problems.

I saw that 70k auction price today too (cheers for the fella that posted the auction results), 240k new! 90% of all those flats were BTL. 70k will seem expensive by 2010.

Rotunda & Masshouse are next, then The Cube when finished.

By 2010/11, the average 1 bed flat in the city centre will be 45/50k. Or I'm Trevor Francis

I also live in a city centre flat in Birmingham, and I've had a mixed experience. You do have to be very choosy when selecting where to live. The more established developments in better areas are nice. But digbeth? I don't see how any of the flats there can be called executive.

Better try King Edwards Wharf or one of the established loft apartment blocks in the city centre side of the Jewellery Quarter. Higher percentage of owner occupiers there and they generally more engaged with the managing agents.

My so called landlord bought 54 properties off plan in one block purchase at the end of 2006.

The management company have been unable to contact them and the Landlord (Midas Holding International) appear to have done either done a runner or are just avoiding paying the tens of thousands it has in arrears for the upkeep of the building.

Here is the info I have from company's house, it appears they have never filed accounts and they are now overdue.

Name & Registered Office:

MIDAS HOLDINGS (INTERNATIONAL) LIMITED

5 CHASE HOUSE PARK PLAZA

HAYES WAY

CANNOCK

WEST MIDLANDS WS12 2DD

Company No. 05668289

Date of Incorporation: 06/01/2006

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7032 - Manage real estate, fee or contract

Accounting Reference Date: 31/01

Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)

Next Accounts Due: 06/11/2007 OVERDUE

Last Return Made Up To: 06/01/2007

Next Return Due: 03/02/2008

My flat was sold for about a quarter of a million pounds, its in Birmingham, yes Birmingham not the Bahamas not Miami, flipping Birmingham,, its a one bedroom flat. I rest my case m'lord.

The building in question if the "Flagship" regeneration of the Eastside in Birmingham, The Abacus Building, in Digbeth.

Abacus Digbeth

I went to a coucil meeting the other night attended by the head of planning for Birmingham, Clive Dutton.

Im Clive Dutton

It was interesting that he mentioned problems ahead for planning because of the credit crunch. He mentioned developers getting cold feet, pulling out etc. I wonder if he is worried about the 700 flats he has just commissioned further down in Digbeth, heralded as the next Brindley Place.

Bradford Street, Total Disaster in the making.

Anyway for anyone interested in the benefits of city center living here a picture of the graffiti in my stairwell that appeared the other night in my so called luxury executive apartment. Clearly evidence that chavs, dss are now being offered rented accommodation here.

Graffiti in sold called executive flats

I'm just glad that im renting and my lease is up in two months time.

Does anyone know what the position is with the new blocks going up in the jewellery quarter in Birmingham ? are they all occupied or do they still remain empty?

Brindley House is only 25% sold. The developer isn't very large, and I suspect they'll go bust soon. Newhall Square (the former science museum site) have built a lot of the commercial side, but haven't started on the flats.

Great thread! I know the area well, I drink in Digbeth quite a lot, gutted Clearys has closed.

Loads of Irish pubs, and not just on the main drag, in back streets too. Used to go there before Blues games as St Andrews is only 10 minutes away. Open to 6am some of them, the current favourite is Henneseys if you like your music loud & your women, er, loud. Digbeth/Cheapside is a great place to drink, but as has been said, the infrastructure isn't there for all the flats they're building. And I read last month that brum city council have had a re-think on their plans for Eastside due to investement problems.

I saw that 70k auction price today too (cheers for the fella that posted the auction results), 240k new! 90% of all those flats were BTL. 70k will seem expensive by 2010.

Rotunda & Masshouse are next, then The Cube when finished.

By 2010/11, the average 1 bed flat in the city centre will be 45/50k. Or I'm Trevor Francis

Clearys closed due to the block around St Annes was meant to be getting redeveloped, and the developers bought them out. Shame, but when I last went there almost a year ago it was dead as a door knob and that made it all the more clear how much of a dive it was!

There are plenty of good pubs around digbeth though, I like the white swan, and the spotted dog is good, but its a shame it has to stop the live music due to complaints from this very same apartment block this thread is about!

I still think digbeth is an up and coming area, its where the citys alternative night life happens, for instance the rainbow warehouse got voted second best outdoors club in the country by the guardian. Due to the credit crunch, its music scene may now once againb lead the way in its growth, as this This residential led development was the wrong type of redevelopment though, and those flats were all priced at values for an established area, i.e. they had valued the redevelopment already, what you need to do is buy cheapily in an up and coming area to gain the benefit!

Brindley House is only 25% sold. The developer isn't very large, and I suspect they'll go bust soon. Newhall Square (the former science museum site) have built a lot of the commercial side, but haven't started on the flats.

Dan

what do you reckon to prices of good, quiet 2-beds in Jewellery Quarter? Obviously it won't be the apocalypse of the Abacus or whatever but what would be your guess from now to the bottom? Cheers.

Is the number they have drawn the value of your flat in Turkish Lira next year?

It might not have been chavs, it might have been educated people making a point.

I notice the 06-08 underneath the main section, are these futuristic chavs?

No it's the value in pounds sterling, post crash.

Seriously, this example shows the scale of losses facing banks, which are now govt. owned.

Gordon's gonna have to print a lot of sterling paper debt. Will the foreigners want to buy all he wants to sell, and at what interest rate.

Bye, bye pound

I hate these little ****** I own a house in an area with a lot of council chav scum in it - its all we could afford. I've saved enough to move up now, but try selling your house with some turds "tags" all over it. I know whose doing it, I've even caught the little bitch red handed, she must be about 13. We just looked at each other as she walked off, marker pen still in hand. Both of us safe in the knowledge that there is not a single thing that I can do about it.

"but try selling your house with some turds "tags" all over it."

That's the thing, all the money people spend on their investments/properties and they are in the hands of silly little kids, the whims and fancies drifting through the tiny little minds of silly bloody kids.

Poor sods with an end of terrace are targeted most often. Those people must feel like sh*t everytime some snot sprays some [email protected] over the walls of their property.

How all these people must feel is a dreadfull thing.

Worrying if they are going to have a brick through the window or paint thrown at their garage door and front wall of the house.

Living like that, day in, day out being TERRORISED.

These are the terrorists any decent government should be tackling.

Little sh*ts, millions of little sh*ts making everybody elses lives a misery.

And they just grin and stick their fingers up to us all.

Our lives in the hands of these mindless morons.

Liebour youth. 'a chip off the old block'.

"but try selling your house with some turds "tags" all over it."

That's the thing, all the money people spend on their investments/properties and they are in the hands of silly little kids, the whims and fancies drifting through the tiny little minds of silly bloody kids.

Poor sods with an end of terrace are targeted most often. Those people must feel like sh*t everytime some snot sprays some [email protected] over the walls of their property.

How all these people must feel is a dreadfull thing.

Worrying if they are going to have a brick through the window or paint thrown at their garage door and front wall of the house.

Living like that, day in, day out being TERRORISED.

These are the terrorists any decent government should be tackling.

Little sh*ts, millions of little sh*ts making everybody elses lives a misery.

And they just grin and stick their fingers up to us all.

Our lives in the hands of these mindless morons.

Liebour youth. 'a chip off the old block'.

Exactly - made me think of Brown's visit to a Saudi 're-education' centre a fortnight ago. He should be visiting (and building) re-education centres in this country, where the values of hard labour, discipline, self-respect, etc. etc. are installed in them. But no - we are a nation of cowards, unwilling to tackle the chaotic ex-society we have created. Bring on the revolution.

For anyone interested there's another auction tomorrow that features Brum city centre flats such as this one

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-107...p;mam_disp=true

This has a Guide Price of 65k & details of the auction are there too. More & more of these BTL flats will come onto the market in the next few months, and for selfish reasons alone I hope the one I rent isn't one of them

Exactly - made me think of Brown's visit to a Saudi 're-education' centre a fortnight ago. He should be visiting (and building) re-education centres in this country, where the values of hard labour, discipline, self-respect, etc. etc. are installed in them. But no - we are a nation of cowards, unwilling to tackle the chaotic ex-society we have created. Bring on the revolution.

The real problem is that if you, or anyone else including police and teachers, after getting abused gives them a good [email protected] YOU are the one that ends up in the sh*t :angry: