House Price Crash Forum

Fear, Loathing And Graffiti The Nightmare Of City Living In Birmingham.

Thanks for telling me about the rats, im sure I will sleep soundly tonight with the knowledge that I could have a million plus rats around the corner. What's worrying is that the area is still used for meat processing. Stirchly Bacon seems to be doing a roaring trade. Also there is a factory that makes Doner Kebabs, I wonder what they put in them. Hmmm rat by any chance.

No problem. We also used to get a lot of fires caused by petrol bombs in the Digbeth area with attacks on irish pubs and clubs following the Birmingham pub bombings. That would cause loads of rats to leave the basements and run around our feet. The area also had a lot of asian halal slaughter yards which were unregulated and rat ridden . These places were also petrol bombed on a regular basis. The rats would just ignore us and carry on eating the rotten animal flesh that littered the floor of the backstreet yards.

I never understood why Birmingham never became the city of culture :lol::lol:

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One more brummie rat story before bedtime seeing its the chinese year of the rat.

At Highgate Fire Station which covered the Digbeth area of Birmingham we would often play games on each other and stick juicy dead rats(free to a good home) into each other fireboots and helmets which were kept on the fire engines. When we turned out to a call we jumped into our boots and put our helmets on only to find dead rats everywhere. The public must have been suprised to see fire engines coming down the road with blue lights flashing and rats flying out of the windows. Boys will be boys.

A couple of streets down from your building is an electrical box with a Banksy on it – girl throwing a petrol bomb, I think it's still there, the image is below, if you dare walk down the streets around Bradford St. tonight you might find it. The Custard Factory had a couple also but they got painted over. :blink:

DSCF0002.jpg

Digbeth isn't 2 bad at night time, a lot of the backstreets are dark and derelict, but due to the lack of people, there isn't 2 much trouble. That said my mates younger brother was mugged by some somalian scumbags outside abacus a few months back, however as someone who has been going out in digbeth for close to 10 years, it has less aggression at nightime than the likes of broad st.

Digbeth is never going to be a new moseley, but it does have quite a vibrant nightlife and due to its proximity to the centre of town deserves some money spent on it and a better rep than it enjoys.

Developers have bought up so much of it, the trading estate between the spotted dog and irish club is owned by a big nationwide developer, and there are plans for around the custard factory, bradford street, the current temporary coach station, and the block opposite selfridges.

I just hope it doesn't loose its character and get the plastic feel of the rest of the city.

I'm across the road from Cheapside, what amazes me is that Birmingham City Council have planned all these thousands of flats but have not provided any infrastructure such as shops, cash machines or garages. If I walk outside my flat on Bradford Street there is loads of broken glass, drunks, hoodies and concrete. Well established areas such as Moseley and Edgbaston are suddenly seeming much more appealing. I'm renting so I can just vote with my feet and move back to Edgbaston (from where I moved) but if Birmingham City Council want law abiding, working, productive people like me to stay they must provide the infrastructure otherwise it will be filled with Mr and Mrs DSS tenants and the area will go down hill faster than a lead balloon.

Over the last decade Birmingham City Council and many other municipal councils have embarked on a demolition program of 60's tower blocks, unless some action it taken by modern city planners, its seems that history will repeat itself.

Agree entirely about the infrastructure - there is literally nothing there except a number 12 bustop. I used to drop off a friend who live in the Abacus buildings after we finished working night shifts - she used to want to walk to get "night air" but I always thought it seemed so dangerous - the streets were eerily quiet, and the place just looked like some abandoned warehouse - obviously some parts of Birmingham are worse than others, but even on the rough end of the Stratford Road I've always felt fairly safe at night, on my own - but when somewhere is so built up and close to the city centre, yet so quiet - I think you're more at risk (no one to hear you scream type thing).

On a slightly different note, now we have so many brummies in one thread.

what end would you call the top end of digbeth, and what would you call the bottom?

Had this debate at work, I reckon the top end is by camp hill roundabout, and the bottom by selfridges. And before anyone gets technical, I know it actually stops becoming digbeth by thet river rea and is actually called deritend onwards to camphill, but as this post proves, everyone calls the whole area digbeth.

On a slightly different note, now we have so many brummies in one thread.

what end would you call the top end of digbeth, and what would you call the bottom?

Had this debate at work, I reckon the top end is by camp hill roundabout, and the bottom by selfridges. And before anyone gets technical, I know it actually stops becoming digbeth by thet river rea and is actually called deritend onwards to camphill, but as this post proves, everyone calls the whole area digbeth.

The property numbers in digbeth used to start at the Bullring end (from 1904) for postal purposes. From Floodgate Street it becomes High street. (Deritend) then from Adderley Street it becomes High Street (Bordesley) up to camp hill. All main roads from Birmingham city centre start from no.1 city end. The bull ring end of Digbeth has been called the top for over three hundred years. The bottom of Digbeth was Floodgate Street end.

Deritend and Bordesley have always been known as such for hundreds of years and Deritend was the first Birmingham settlement. Digbeth has only ever been known as the road. The area at the bottom of Digbeth (if we agree that the bottom is the bottom of the rea valley) was always known as Cheapside. Perhaps developers think that the name Cheapside gives the wrong image. The bottom of Bradford street was always in Cheapside.

Talking about the river Rea, when I posted earlier about the local rat problem I forgot to say that a rat catcher told me that one of the largest and oldest rat runs in Britain followed the line of the river Rea both above and below the surface. The rats usually move along the run about 4am when traffic is light. The two ends of the rat run were the meat market in Cheapside and the cattle market and refuse tip in Montague Street in Bordesley. He said that large above ground movements by rats took place when the river culvert was flooded. He also told me that at each end was two distinct tribes of rat that at been around for hundreds of years. The new developements have been built over the rat run. Buyers beware.

Talking about the river Rea, when I posted earlier about the local rat problem I forgot to say that a rat catcher told me that one of the largest and oldest rat runs in Britain followed the line of the river Rea both above and below the surface. The rats usually move along the run about 4am when traffic is light. The two ends of the rat run were the meat market in Cheapside and the cattle market and refuse tip in Montague Street in Bordesley. He said that large above ground movements by rats took place when the river culvert was flooded. He also told me that at each end was two distinct tribes of rat that at been around for hundreds of years. The new developements have been built over the rat run. Buyers beware.

Some fantastic local knowledge on this thread. Thanks. I've learn't more about Brum and Digbeth on this thread, than from hundreds of visits by car or train!

Digbeth isn't 2 bad at night time, a lot of the backstreets are dark and derelict, but due to the lack of people, there isn't 2 much trouble. That said my mates younger brother was mugged by some somalian scumbags outside abacus a few months back, however as someone who has been going out in digbeth for close to 10 years, it has less aggression at nightime than the likes of broad st.

I remember the door to my mates flat in Cheapside being plastered in the police fingerprint stuff one weekend last summer, as some guy got mugged at knifepoint going into the main doors.

Same person??

I did a summer working for Harrison Drapes in Digbeth - are they still there? I find it hard to imagine executive luxury flats there... though Brum has changed a lot.

The Abacus building was a curtain factory at some point but it wasn't harrison drape. A quick google and it does seem that there are plans to convert harrison drape into flats. I can't think where this is bit im sure its not far away from Abacus.

Harrison Drape

Do you remember when BTLers camped all night outside the Rotunda in 2004 and every flat was sold in 20 mins ? Some bought 4 or 5 :lol: . The flats have still not been finished. I wonder how much they have dropped in price :lol::lol:

He he he,

thats so funny, and they still keep lining up (Urban Splash,) to make Glenn howells Architects there number 1 guys.

Glenn Howells Architects also on Bradford street, Digbeth I cannot believe these young kids waste 8 years of there life's working for these flunkies designing the nightmare's of the future, led by old men whom could not find there ass if they needed to wipe it! If only they had spent 8 years becoming doctors.

The whole area is being blighted by planners, and the developers who are only too keen to take their cut of government "re-generation" money.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I visited the sales office (on Cheapside) for the new development that is going up out of curiosity. That was last June, and "Anne-Marie" is still calling me now trying to flog me one.

I have a mate that lives in a part buy / rent flat on Cheapside. They are crap quality, and I think his flat was valued at 120k in 2006!!!!

I hate to say it, and I take no pleasure from it, but he's struggling to keep up with mortgage repayments at the moment. When he needs to re-mortgage in June this year, he'll struggle to get a good deal. It's a reposession waiting to happen.

so true, you can visit 325 Bradford street, 3rd floor Glenn Howells architects and see all the rats you may ever want to see, they park outside in there 4 x 4 planet killing range rovers whilst planning there next assault on the working class by promising the dream of a 1 bedroom shite hole in digbeth for a sum that the purchaser will never pay off!

Just face it guys, The PARTY IS OVER!

The developers are scoundrals mor akin to grave robbers!

He he he,

thats so funny, and they still keep lining up (Urban Splash,) to make Glenn howells Architects there number 1 guys.

Glenn Howells Architects also on Bradford street, Digbeth I cannot believe these young kids waste 8 years of there life's working for these flunkies designing the nightmare's of the future, led by old men whom could not find there ass if they needed to wipe it! If only they had spent 8 years becoming doctors.

i take it that Glen Howells are the people who have redesigned the Rotunda. Are Urban Splash the people who did similiar schemes in liverpool and manchester ?

Is the Carling Academy technically in Digbeth? I've always been hazy about where Digbeth actually starts / ends too.

Anyway, as an aside - popping over to Wales tommorow for a weekend away - anyone recommend any places / B&Bs / things to do (avec toddler)?

Is the Carling Academy technically in Digbeth? I've always been hazy about where Digbeth actually starts / ends too.

If when driving out of the city along Digbeth and you arrive at your destination before passing the old crown pub on the left then the answer is yes.

If when driving out of the city along Digbeth and you arrive at your destination before passing the old crown pub on the left then the answer is yes.

Thanks DB - good posts about rats too.

Anyway - since the London lot are having a pub meet, anyone fancy a Birmingham one? There seem to be enough of us to not be embarrassingly like a date, maybe a house party in a repo'd exec apartment? ;)

Thanks DB - good posts about rats too.

Anyway - since the London lot are having a pub meet, anyone fancy a Birmingham one? There seem to be enough of us to not be embarrassingly like a date, maybe a house party in a repo'd exec apartment? ;)

I'd be in if there's enough interest.

"Is the Carling Academy technically in Digbeth? I've always been hazy about where Digbeth actually starts / ends too."

The Carling Academy is in Dale End, (which is the City Centre). You may be thinking of The Sanctuary, which is very much on Digbeth High Street, (although I have no idea of exact geographic boundaries!)

My so called landlord bought 54 properties off plan in one block purchase at the end of 2006.

The management company have been unable to contact them and the Landlord (Midas Holding International) appear to have done either done a runner or are just avoiding paying the tens of thousands it has in arrears for the upkeep of the building.

Here is the info I have from company's house, it appears they have never filed accounts and they are now overdue.

Name & Registered Office:

MIDAS HOLDINGS (INTERNATIONAL) LIMITED

5 CHASE HOUSE PARK PLAZA

HAYES WAY

CANNOCK

WEST MIDLANDS WS12 2DD

Company No. 05668289

Date of Incorporation: 06/01/2006

Country of Origin: United Kingdom

Company Type: Private Limited Company

Nature of Business (SIC(03)):

7032 - Manage real estate, fee or contract

Accounting Reference Date: 31/01

Last Accounts Made Up To: (NO ACCOUNTS FILED)

Next Accounts Due: 06/11/2007 OVERDUE

Last Return Made Up To: 06/01/2007

Next Return Due: 03/02/2008

My flat was sold for about a quarter of a million pounds, its in Birmingham, yes Birmingham not the Bahamas not Miami, flipping Birmingham,, its a one bedroom flat. I rest my case m'lord.

The building in question if the "Flagship" regeneration of the Eastside in Birmingham, The Abacus Building, in Digbeth.

Abacus Digbeth

I went to a coucil meeting the other night attended by the head of planning for Birmingham, Clive Dutton.

Im Clive Dutton

It was interesting that he mentioned problems ahead for planning because of the credit crunch. He mentioned developers getting cold feet, pulling out etc. I wonder if he is worried about the 700 flats he has just commissioned further down in Digbeth, heralded as the next Brindley Place.

Bradford Street, Total Disaster in the making.

Anyway for anyone interested in the benefits of city center living here a picture of the graffiti in my stairwell that appeared the other night in my so called luxury executive apartment. Clearly evidence that chavs, dss are now being offered rented accommodation here.

Graffiti in sold called executive flats

I'm just glad that im renting and my lease is up in two months time.

your new neighbours :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJzj2yLwC14...feature=related

The property numbers in digbeth used to start at the Bullring end (from 1904) for postal purposes. From Floodgate Street it becomes High street. (Deritend) then from Adderley Street it becomes High Street (Bordesley) up to camp hill. All main roads from Birmingham city centre start from no.1 city end. The bull ring end of Digbeth has been called the top for over three hundred years. The bottom of Digbeth was Floodgate Street end.

Deritend and Bordesley have always been known as such for hundreds of years and Deritend was the first Birmingham settlement. Digbeth has only ever been known as the road. The area at the bottom of Digbeth (if we agree that the bottom is the bottom of the rea valley) was always known as Cheapside. Perhaps developers think that the name Cheapside gives the wrong image. The bottom of Bradford street was always in Cheapside.

well, can't argue with that, but I would say to the young the whole area is now known as digbeth, and the top end is towards camp hill roundabout, in the same way the top end of broad street is near 5 ways.

As for the rats, whilst I can beleive they do exist along the rea, i've walked all along it underneath buildings/roads/bridges for miles, and didn't see one rat!