House Price Crash Forum

Fear, Loathing And Graffiti The Nightmare Of City Living In Birmingham.

Over the last decade Birmingham City Council and many other municipal councils have embarked on a demolition program of 60's tower blocks, unless some action it taken by modern city planners, its seems that history will repeat itself.

All those old tower blocks were at least surrounded by a bit of grass and were built and maintained to a higher spec than the new private blocks. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the new flats.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All those old tower blocks were at least surrounded by a bit of grass and were built and maintained to a higher spec than the new private blocks. It will be interesting to see what the future holds for the new flats.

I recon the same as the past ,when ten years later they buldozed the drug ridden crime warrens.

wow, interesting thread this, didn't expect it to be so close to home! I live around the corner and my mates live in the abacus building. Its more like a student halls than so called luxury apartments, the building has gone rapidly downhill since it opened, the management company do very little from what I see, my friends haven;t paid their service charge in protest. I was in a flat opposite the town hall on saturday, that really was nice, a far superior finish compared to abacus.

I know of 2 brothers who bought btl off plan, met one of them the other day, he said they have had a tenant for 1 month only and been paying the interest only mortgage ever since, also had the flat on the market the whole time and no offers, even after the price was dropped.

Digbeths regeneration is interesting, I wonder what will happen to it now due to the credit crunch. There are empty blocks and vacant sites sitting next to me on cheapside street, the commercial units on the groundfloor all remain unoccupied. Clearys has also closed due to that block due to be redeveloped by the same developers as the site by the white swan.

In the long run, the area is on the up, but its not going to be as easy as originally envisaged. Seems the so called 'irish quarter' redevelopment is killing off the live music venues which gave the area its original vibrancy.

My so called landlord bought 54 properties off plan in one block purchase at the end of 2006...

Anyway for anyone interested in the benefits of city center living here a picture of the graffiti in my stairwell that appeared the other night in my so called luxury executive apartment. Clearly evidence that chavs, dss are now being offered rented accommodation here.

Graffiti in sold called executive flats

I'm just glad that im renting and my lease is up in two months time.

The graffiti reads "143,637 - 06-08".

This number is very specific, and it isn't just some Chav tagging. I strongly suspect that this is the amount someone lost on their (now repossessed) flat. Could it be that they bought in late 2006 at the same time as your 'landlord', and that it was sold as a repossession for GBP 143,637 less in 2008? :o

The whole of central Birmingham is in trouble. People forever mention Leeds, Nottingham and Manchester as being vunerable regarding these new build flats....Birmingham has thousands of 'em, and is gong to get hit hard.

Im looking to move over to Moseley way, and even there they are looking at 150k for a two bedroomed "luxury" flat? What's luxurious about living in a shoe box with no garden, and neighbours above, below and either side of you: i'll never know!!

I had a mate who moved into Cheapside in Digbeth 18 months ago. Part buy - part rent, and he's assuming that he has must have made money since he moved in. I haven't the heart to tell him that they haven't sold all the flats in his block yet, and since he moved in there is another huge empty block next door that has been completed, with plans for another 2/3 blocks as part of the Digbeth "re-devlopment" with the land preparation well under way.

Its going to get messy....

I live in Moseley. If you are looking at buying in Moseley, I'd hold back for a while. Prices have levelled, but are only now starting to show price drops - next year you'll see some real falls which ought to justify the wait.

As a tip, (mentally) reduce all current asking prices by 50% and then justify to yourself why you should pay any more.

This number is very specific, and it isn't just some Chav tagging. I strongly suspect that this is the amount someone lost on their (now repossessed) flat. Could it be that they bought in late 2006 at the same time as your 'landlord', and that it was sold as a repossession for GBP 143,637 less in 2008? :o

Ref the meaning of the Graffiti

It's a possibility however I think its more likely that its bored teens/chavs who have access to the building somehow. There are several other tags in other locations which leads me to believe it's the work of kids. We have had puke in corridors, regular vandalism to communal areas, lifts and fittings. I could go on but I think you get the general idea. The main problem would appear to be that desperate BTL landlords and now lettings the flats to all and sundry. Alcoholics, dole dossers, we even had a whole family in a studio flat, yep Mum Dad and three kids all staying in one room until they got evicted, they caused no end of trouble.

City centre living is a wet dream of city planners and marketing types, the reality for people from different socio economic backgrounds living on top of each other just doesn't work. What makes me laugh is that if you go into Connels estate agent across the road and speak to the EA they will tell how Birmingham city council is going to transform Bradford Street into a tree lines boulevard. Tree lined boulevard, my ****. My like piss stained, concrete eye cack hole. Apparently they are going to plant some trees and give us some bins. How this will make Bradford Street a tree lined boulevard I will never know.

This is area on Bradford Street where a huge city block has been demolished and 700 flats are planned. Yes 700 more pokey little $hit holes that nobody wants.

Can I have 700 more flats please.

This is Birmingham City Council computer generated vision for the area.

BCC Vision WOW that's looks really good.

This is reality of Digbeth. Tree lined boulevard. I don't think so.

Back in the real world, its slightly different from computer generated version.

Broken glass, dog poo, smashed windows, rubbish everywhere. This is the reality of city centre living.

It means "I love you, always and forever".

it the count of the letters in each of the words - "I"= 1, "love"=4, "you"=3 etc etc

Hows about this one

OR

"Chav scum starve when benefits cease"

I hate these little ****** I own a house in an area with a lot of council chav scum in it - its all we could afford. I've saved enough to move up now, but try selling your house with some turds "tags" all over it. I know whose doing it, I've even caught the little bitch red handed, she must be about 13. We just looked at each other as she walked off, marker pen still in hand. Both of us safe in the knowledge that there is not a single thing that I can do about it.

it the count of the letters in each of the words - "I"= 1, "love"=4, "you"=3 etc etc

Hows about this one

OR

"Chav scum starve when benefits cease"

I hate these little ****** I own a house in an area with a lot of council chav scum in it - its all we could afford. I've saved enough to move up now, but try selling your house with some turds "tags" all over it. I know whose doing it, I've even caught the little bitch red handed, she must be about 13. We just looked at each other as she walked off, marker pen still in hand. Both of us safe in the knowledge that there is not a single thing that I can do about it.

found this ...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=143637

love you.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=143637

I think if you want one explanation for the why Nottingham peaked in Q1 2004 (so has already seen a 25% inflation adjusted crash in the City Centre and a 15% inflation adjusted crash in the suburbs) you have to look at crime and graffiti/smashed windows in particular.

The latter is low level hoodie crime and the police aren't interested.The new development in Beeston next to the Bus Station ,called the Manor, was plagued by smashed windows virtually every week.In the end the security firm had to plead with the hoodies to stop it because the police would not get involved.The council advises Beeston residents not to get involved either,it is counter-productive and you risk getting a head stamping or stabbing.So these little darlings run the show at night.

Don't think you can get away with it in the best suburbs.A house that sides Bridle Road,Bramcote( where properties sell for 400K plus)has scrawlings on it that resemble an urban subway.

The new luxury development at Wilford has already had virtually every window smashed on houses that adjoin the main road.These houses are occupied.

The only good thing is it has deterred crashmonitor from buying so far,and saved me from sitting on a depreciating asset since STR in 2006.

Council have planned all these thousands of flats but have not provided any infrastructure such as shops, cash machines or garages.

Or doctors or dentists or play areas or extra school places, public transport or anything.

Isn't this another major problem with all this new build? You're just dumping thousands more people into areas where things are probably squeezed enough as it is?

I can think of estates built that must be a whole GP's worth of new people - but they never build new doctors so it's all got to be squeezed into existing surgeries. No wonder you can never get an appointment.

(Gp has on average 1500 patients on list? )

I don't suppose something like this could have happened, could it...

1) Buy a load of flats, 100% BTL mortgage, at developer's valuation

2) Accept 10% cash 'gift' from grateful developer who thought flats would never sell for such an inflated price

3) Do runner, change name

4) Repeat as often as you think you can get away with it... :blink:

The really funny thing is that this guy had the presence of mind to do it through a limited company. The creditors have to be seen to go through a number of "reasonable" steps before they ca get their money. These are:

1. Write to LtdCo setting out their issue

2. Write to LdtCo again this time with threat

3. Apply to the county court for a ruling for payment from LtdCo (costs £s)

4. Get ruling

5. Write againt to LtdCo with ruling

6. Write again threatening enforcement action

7. Apply to county court for enforcement action against LtdCo

8. Hire bailiffs (costs £s)

9. Bailiffs go to premises. Find nothing.

10. Write to individual suggesting he has acted fraudulently

11. Write again

12. Apply to the court to order a creditors' liquidation (costs ££s)

13. Pay for an insolvency practitioner (costs £££s)

14. Insolvency practitioner investigates the conduct of the company, finds director acted unlawfully

15. IP Applies to the court to have director struck off

16. Director is struck off

17. Write to Director, pointing out personal liability situation and demanding relief

18. Write again to Director threatening action

19. Apply to the court for relief against Director

20. Show in court Director has been negligent, thus is liable for damages

21. Get granted relief

22. Write to Director asking for payment

22. Write again, threatening enforcement action

23. Apply to county court for enforcement action against LtdCo

24. Hire bailiffs (costs £s)

25. Bailiffs go to premises. Find nothing.

This is how the system works and it's sh1t.

Anyone who know how to work the system can make £££££s and the powers that be stand by and let them do it. There is only one conclusion we can draw from this:

DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE

This firm clearly hasn't - something thats been repeated a LOT throughout the lending madness of the last 5 years or so. Anyone who has lent money without proper checks isn't going to get it back. Ever. Period. And this is why we have a credit it crunch and why the rest of us are going to have to live in squalor ro 10 years while the while sh1tpile gets sorted out.

I wouldn't mind some Bansky, I could buy the flat chop out the wall sell it on ebay and still be quids in.

Banksy

A couple of streets down from your building is an electrical box with a Banksy on it – girl throwing a petrol bomb, I think it's still there, the image is below, if you dare walk down the streets around Bradford St. tonight you might find it. The Custard Factory had a couple also but they got painted over. :blink:

DSCF0002.jpg

DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE

This firm clearly hasn't - something thats been repeated a LOT throughout the lending madness of the last 5 years or so. Anyone who has lent money without proper checks isn't going to get it back. Ever. Period. And this is why we have a credit it crunch and why the rest of us are going to have to live in squalor ro 10 years while the while sh1tpile gets sorted out.

I can't believe that any financial institution would lend a limited company any money without a personal guarantee or a charge on the assets.

However I suspect the Directors are long gone, back to Nigeria and the properties are now rapidly falling in value.

Can't believe Digbeth is being ruined by regeneration. A great place for lots of small business with large old factories that could be divided up. Dare say they are either being demolished for apartments which do not create real "wealth" or enterprise.

I used to visit Digbeth a lot in the 80/90's to buy lorry loads of ex-rental TV's from an outfit in Flood Street. Wonder if they are still there? How times have changed.

The really funny thing is that this guy had the presence of mind to do it through a limited company. The creditors have to be seen to go through a number of "reasonable" steps before they ca get their money. These are:

1. Write to LtdCo setting out their issue

2. Write to LdtCo again this time with threat

3. Apply to the county court for a ruling for payment from LtdCo (costs £s)

4. Get ruling

5. Write againt to LtdCo with ruling

6. Write again threatening enforcement action

7. Apply to county court for enforcement action against LtdCo

8. Hire bailiffs (costs £s)

9. Bailiffs go to premises. Find nothing.

10. Write to individual suggesting he has acted fraudulently

11. Write again

12. Apply to the court to order a creditors' liquidation (costs ££s)

13. Pay for an insolvency practitioner (costs £££s)

14. Insolvency practitioner investigates the conduct of the company, finds director acted unlawfully

15. IP Applies to the court to have director struck off

16. Director is struck off

17. Write to Director, pointing out personal liability situation and demanding relief

18. Write again to Director threatening action

19. Apply to the court for relief against Director

20. Show in court Director has been negligent, thus is liable for damages

21. Get granted relief

22. Write to Director asking for payment

22. Write again, threatening enforcement action

23. Apply to county court for enforcement action against LtdCo

24. Hire bailiffs (costs £s)

25. Bailiffs go to premises. Find nothing.

This is how the system works and it's sh1t.

Anyone who know how to work the system can make £££££s and the powers that be stand by and let them do it. There is only one conclusion we can draw from this:

DO YOUR DUE DILIGENCE

Obviously the due diligence was not done in this case. If I just tot up the sums involved here it adds up to quite a bit of money. Lets say each flat averages at 190 grand, times that by the 54 flats that were purchased in bulk and you have around about 10 million. Now unless the 10 million was laundered and paid upfront that means a bank some where is down 10 million.

Maybe someone who knows a little bit about business could answer this question.

Is it unusual business practice for a company with 10million in assets to file accounts late and to be un-contactable? The address listed on companies house is an empty office in Cannock, I have not been there but the guy from the management company has been over there to chase them.

Is it unusual business practice for a company with 10million in assets to file accounts late and to be un-contactable? The address listed on companies house is an empty office in Cannock, I have not been there but the guy from the management company has been over there to chase them.

Not looking very hard are they?

This company has one Director a Mr Rajesh Patel with a Leicester address and the Company Sec is a Mr Atif Malek from Northampton.

The company has a paid up shared capital of .... £2

Need I say more really?

:lol:

This is starting to get interesting. Typed "Atif Malik" into Google. Could this be the same Atif Malik?

http://www.free-press-release.com/news/200...1182769408.html

Beat The Boss:entrepreneur Atif Malik joins the team of experts on a new series of the BBC TV series

Free Press Release

Home | All News | Monthly Hot | News by Tag | Press Release Tips | Journal | Search | Members' Area

News Archive > 2007 > Jun > 25

As head of a property empire worth several million pounds British-born entrepreneur Atif Malik has certainly faced a few challenges in his lifetime.

Malik himself was only 11 years old when he began working at a city-centre clothing store and barely 16 when he made the first of many property deals that would lead to the foundation of his highly successful company Property Central UK. Since then he has created several other companies, most still based in the property sector, although his recent ventures have into bars, restaurants and hotels in the North West have opened up a whole new area of business.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cbbc/beattheboss/team....shtml?episode7

Edited by rover2000
This is area on Bradford Street where a huge city block has been demolished and 700 flats are planned. Yes 700 more pokey little $hit holes that nobody wants.

This is reality of Digbeth. Tree lined boulevard. I don't think so.

the Digbeth area has always suffered from a massive rat problem. In the seventies the birmingham meat market was being demolished at the bottom of Bradford Street. In the victorian sub basements the walls were filled with hundreds of tonnes of granular cork used for insulation in the ice rooms. This had ignited and continued to burn for weeks. It was impossible to to dig out at that stage of demolition. I used to drive a fire engine out of Moseley Road Fire Station down to the site in the early hours every night to damp down the site to reduce the smoke levels in the area.

One particular night I was confronted with a river of rats that must have totalled almost a million. They had been smoked out and had made their way along Cheapside, along rea Street and across Bradford Street. It was an amazing sight. The rats formed a moving wall to wall sea along all three streets in a column about 50 metres wide . It was impossible to see the road surface for rats. I waited for a good 5 minutes for the rats to cross Bradford street but they just kept on coming in their thousands.

I started to drive the fire engine slowly through them. I crushed hundreds and they still kept coming. It was not a pleasant sound with crunching and squealing beneath the wheels.

Now the interesting bit was that three nights later the same thing happened in the opposite direction.

I bet the entire area is still riddled with them. :( plus LL rats as well now.

the Digbeth area has always suffered from a massive rat problem. In the seventies the birmingham meat market was being demolished at the bottom of Bradford Street. In the victorian sub basements the walls were filled with hundreds of tonnes of granular cork used for insulation in the ice rooms. This had ignited and continued to burn for weeks. It was impossible to to dig out at that stage of demolition. I used to drive a fire engine out of Moseley Road Fire Station down to the site in the early hours every night to damp down the site to reduce the smoke levels in the area.

One particular night I was confronted with a river of rats that must have totalled almost a million. They had been smoked out and had made their way along Cheapside, along rea Street and across Bradford Street. It was an amazing sight. The rats formed a moving wall to wall sea along all three streets in a column about 50 metres wide . It was impossible to see the road surface for rats. I waited for a good 5 minutes for the rats to cross Bradford street but they just kept on coming in their thousands.

I started to drive the fire engine slowly through them. I crushed hundreds and they still kept coming. It was not a pleasant sound with crunching and squealing beneath the wheels.

Now the interesting bit was that three nights later the same thing happened in the opposite direction.

The whole area is being blighted by planners, and the developers who are only too keen to take their cut of government "re-generation" money.

As I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, I visited the sales office (on Cheapside) for the new development that is going up out of curiosity. That was last June, and "Anne-Marie" is still calling me now trying to flog me one.

I have a mate that lives in a part buy / rent flat on Cheapside. They are crap quality, and I think his flat was valued at 120k in 2006!!!!

I hate to say it, and I take no pleasure from it, but he's struggling to keep up with mortgage repayments at the moment. When he needs to re-mortgage in June this year, he'll struggle to get a good deal. It's a reposession waiting to happen.

Thanks for telling me about the rats, im sure I will sleep soundly tonight with the knowledge that I could have a million plus rats around the corner. What's worrying is that the area is still used for meat processing. Stirchly Bacon seems to be doing a roaring trade. Also there is a factory that makes Doner Kebabs, I wonder what they put in them. Hmmm rat by any chance.

Edited by doggadogdog
Thanks for telling me about the rats, im sure I will sleep soundly tonight with the knowledge that I could have a million plus rats around the corner. What's worrying is that the area is still used for meat processing. Stirchly Bacon seems to be doing a roaring trade. Also there is a factory that makes Doner Kebabs, I wonder what they put in them. Hmmm rat by any chance.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067991/

?