House Price Crash Forum

Egg Savings Rate

HOLA441

Just been informed that the egg savings rate is to go down from 5.5% to 5.0% - twice the B of E base rate cut.

I will be moving my cash out of there this month - Looks like they're hell bent on pissing off their savers as well as their credit card borrowers!

There's plenty of banks out there looking for depositors at the moment. What's the matter with these people?

Edited by Bear Goggles

HOLA442

Egg are starting to look like a "bank in trouble". First they pissed everyone off by cancelling the cards of customer in good standing, libeling them in the process by saying they were too risky, so much so there's actually a parliamentary enquiry brewing, and now slashing the interest they pay. I wonder if the all the King's men are going to be trying to unscramble some Egg before long.

HOLA443
Egg are starting to look like a "bank in trouble". First they pissed everyone off by cancelling the cards of customer in good standing, libeling them in the process by saying they were too risky, so much so there's actually a parliamentary enquiry brewing, and now slashing the interest they pay. I wonder if the all the King's men are going to be trying to unscramble some Egg before long.

All of which begs the question:

Where to put said cash?

Best buys seem to be :

1. Northern Crock: 6.49% - Hmm... what could possibly go wrong :blink:

2. ICICICICI: 6.41% Isn't iceland a bit iffy too? I guess up to 33k is okay

3. Bird & Bowler 6.40% (B&B): Dodge BTLers R us - No Thanks

4. ASDA 6.25% - since when were these guys a bank? Anyone know who their rebranding?

HOLA444
HOLA445

Where to put said cash?

Best buys seem to be :

4. ASDA 6.25% - since when were these guys a bank? Anyone know who their rebranding?

People on here keep putting down B&B. I did not realise they had been into BTL in a big way? Are they the biggest UK BTL mortgage lender?

HOLA446

Where to put said cash?

Best buys seem to be :

I'd go with NR over Iceland any day. With NR you get a personally autographed guarantee from Mervyn and a thank you letter from Gordon Clown. I've had business dealings with a company in Iceland for over ten years, and across all that time I've seen them perform financial restructures at a dizzying rate. Forgive the pun but Iceland just smells fishy to me.

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
homeowner loans @ 9.4% typical APR.

personal loads @ 6.4% typical APR

Amusing, but maybe sensible. I'd consider a short term loan to someone on lower rates than a long-term loan right now. The risk of serious loss is reduced if I know principle is being paid off fairly quickly from day one.

I think, if I read it correctly, ASDA's bank is actually "GE Money" - i.e. a US Subprime lender.

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

HSBC actually have a 10% savings account. You have to jump through hoops to get it: become a "premium" customer and commit to saving at least £25 a month, but it seems like a very attractive rate from the 2nd strongest bank in the UK (after Lloyds.) Link

DYOR because I don't know the details, maybe there's some catch or other. But prima facie it looks like a better bet than even my pension fund at Standard Life with its gross status.

HOLA4412
Amusing, but maybe sensible. I'd consider a short term loan to someone on lower rates than a long-term loan right now. The risk of serious loss is reduced if I know principle is being paid off fairly quickly from day one.

I think, if I read it correctly, ASDA's bank is actually "GE Money" - i.e. a US Subprime lender.

Maybe. But still made me giggle.

You have removed all my fun. Sensible Ba*%ard. :lol::lol:

They must be targeting NR subprime with that rate...... probably save some of them a fortune!!! :P:lol:

HOLA4413
Just been informed that the egg savings rate is to go down from 5.5% to 5.0% - twice the B of E base rate cut.

I will be moving my cash out of there this month - Looks like they're hell bent on pissing off their savers as well as their credit card borrowers!

There's plenty of banks out there looking for depositors at the moment. What's the matter with these people?

Is this on their ISA?

bu99er

HOLA4414

Where to put said cash?

Best buys seem to be :

5. Kaupthing: 6.5% - (New Icelandic Bank) http://www.kaupthing.com/

Icesave as still offering 6.3% on savings (no catches) and they have some good fixed rates still on offer too (6.70% 2year fix, and 6.76% for 6 months etc)

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HSBC actually have a 10% savings account. You have to jump through hoops to get it: become a "premium" customer and commit to saving at least £25 a month, but it seems like a very attractive rate from the 2nd strongest bank in the UK (after Lloyds.) Link

DYOR because I don't know the details, maybe there's some catch or other. But prima facie it looks like a better bet than even my pension fund at Standard Life with its gross status.

HSBC Premium customers have to hold at least £60,000 in one or more of a number of accounts.

I think 5.5% is/was the best you can get on that money. Then you get access to various other deals.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420

Ho Ho its a done deal here is the historical intrest rate list from the account section of their sight im off to find a better deal!!

Egg Savings Account (Internet) interest rates.

Date Interest rate

paid monthly paid annually

11 February 2008 - present 4.89% gross pa 5.00% gross pa/AER

7 December 2007 - 10 February 2008 5.37% gross pa 5.50% gross pa/AER

18 July 2007 - 6 December 2007 5.60% gross pa 5.75% gross pa/AER

23 May 2007 - 17 July 2007 5.37% gross pa 5.50% gross pa/AER

24 January 2007 - 22 May 2007 5.13% gross pa 5.25% gross pa/AER

22 November 2006 - 23 January 2007 4.89% gross pa 5.00% gross pa/AER

16 August 2006 - 21 November 2006 4.65% gross pa 4.75% gross pa/AER

5 August 2005 - 15 August 2006 4.41% gross pa 4.50% gross pa/AER

18 August 2004 - 4 August 2005 4.65% gross pa 4.75% gross pa/AER

23 June 2004 - 17 August 2004 4.41% gross pa 4.50% gross pa/AER

19 May 2004 - 22 June 2004 4.17% gross pa 4.25% gross pa/AER

18 February 2004 - 18 May 2004 3.93% gross pa 4.00% gross pa/AER

19 November 2003 - 17 February 2004 3.69% gross pa 3.75% gross pa/AER

14 July 2003 - 18 November 2003 3.45% gross pa 3.50% gross pa/AER

10 February 2003 - 13 July 2003 3.69% gross pa 3.75% gross pa/AER

12 November 2001 - 9 February 2003 3.93% gross pa 4.00% gross pa/AER

8 October 2001 - 11 November 2001 4.41% gross pa 4.50% gross pa/AER

21 September 2001 - 7 October 2001 4.65% gross pa 4.75% gross pa/AER

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423

Did anyone read the small print on the email from egg?

Investment Products and Guaranteed Equity Bonds are not bank deposits and neither obligations of, nor guaranteed by Egg Banking plc, or any of its affiliates, unless otherwise stated. They are subject to investments risks, including possible loss of the principal amount invested.

This is for normal savings accounts!!

The government might guarantee your money.. but these guys certainly don't!

Edited to add: sorry not the email, this is from their web page here: http://new.egg.com/visitor/0,,3_94368--View_2081,00.html

Edited by libspero

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

Guys, before you all close your accounts. Make sure you write to them using their on-line messaging facility and ask them to explain why they are slashing their rates by twice the BofE cut. Then inform them you are closing your account because of this action. Their marketing department need to know.

Edit: They haven't thought up an excuse good enough to mail me yet.

Edited by Bear Goggles