Bug16

HOLA441
  • Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

good discussion on the Daily Politics...head of London School of Economics suggests this is a sign that BoE is extremely worried about recession, he himself feels recession is a large risk.

Also talked about whether the rate cut will be passed on, view was that some will, some won't, banks need to strengthen their balance sheets.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
Be honest:

a) Did you have this post typed out, just ready to hit 'submit'?

B) Do you get some kick out of posting first?

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:;)

LOL! I was actually tempted to have one set and ready but I have to be honest and say that I didn't. As for the "kick", hey I'm bored today and this is about as exciting as my Thursday will get! ;)

HOLA447
HOLA448
woo hoo another 60 quid a month off my mortgage

Lucky you! So you must be one of the few with a tracker mortgage. Most peoples mortgages will be either unaffected or rise in the next few weeks as banks rebuild their margins

HOLA449
HOLA4410
They are saying that the cut was necessary to control the inflation?! FTW!

That's exactly what they are saying. They think things look so bad for the economy that we are heading into recession which could lead to deflation down the line. Hence the rate cut. Sounds pretty bad too me!

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I was first! Go me! :lol:

In all seriousness it feels a lot like a political move. I.e. with the US cutting the UK couldn't also not cut, even though I expected them to sit on their hands for another month.

DAMN you bug16 :P

Congrats-you type like less of a sp@z than me, well done ;):lol:

Ah well I've said it before n I'll say it again-it makes no difference, we're scr£wed regardless!

Edit: Ps, they won't stop deflation now however they mash up sterling-just ain't gonna happen ppl ;)

Edited by stonethecrows

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
DAMN you bug16 :P

Congrats-you type like less of a sp@z than me, well done ;):lol:

:lol::P

I actually type at over 90wpm with 100% accuracy. Yes, I am this sad. :)

Oh dear FTSE continues to go south.

Edited by Bug16

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
:blink: It's gobbledegook time again

I know it looks strange but they may have a reason. Notice it says "medium term". Interest changes take many months to take effect. I think they have an idea that 12 months and more out, other factors may tend to reduce inflation, and they aim to counter that.

I'm not saying they are right but that could be the plan.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
Where's Charlie. He assured me they wouldn't cut. He's seen it all before.

To be fair I thought they would hold at the least and poss even a rise-and unlike some yes he has seen a bl00dy sight more than some of the m0rons so keen to stick the boot in on someone a lot older and wiser than them. Have some respect for your elders clown!

HOLA4423

I take the MPC's statement as saying "that's your lot" and the markets have reacted badly because they were hoping to see some sign that there was more to come. IMHO the important phrase in the press release is:

Given this outlook for inflation, some slowing of demand growth, by reducing the pressure on capacity, is likely to be necessary to return inflation to target in the medium term.

In other words, the MPC wants growth to slow.

Edited by Tuffers

HOLA4424
Guest Bart of Darkness
They are saying that the cut was necessary to control the inflation?! FTW!

O'Brien: Winston, how many fingers am I holding up?

Winston: Four.

O'Brien: No Winston, I am holding up two fingers. There are two fingers because the party says that there are two fingers, because Big Brother wishes to send a big FU to all those savers in Oceania.

200617_167680_2_024.jpg

HOLA4425
Can I ask a dumb question (probably the only kind I ask):

Why do they publish the minutes two weeks later? Surely it can't take 10 working days to write-up?

If I were in their position, I'd take a fortnight to approve the minutes... it would allow for shifts of emphasis if something unexpected transpired from the cut.

The minutes only expose a very brief summary of the meeting... if they wanted absolute transparency, they'd have a live cam feed... they don't. The point of the minutes is to reassure people after the event and to condition expectations for the next move.