House Price Crash Forum

The Definition Of A Distressed Seller

Antsy

Something similar happened to me. It was a very stressful experience.

I came up with two potential solutions:

( a ) Pay someone to hospitalise him.

( b ) Engage the services of a friend who happens to be solicitor and stress his obligations to me with duplicates of all correspondence going to the law firm.

I opted for the second, though - to this day - I think I should have preferred the first. It would have given far greater satisfaction.

I had a substantial problem that my landlord (who bought while I was a tenant) had a key to my door and was also my next-door neighbour - and had no job. He had no qualms about letting himself in whenever he felt like it.

Edited by A.steve

The interesting thing with this story is that we have a landlord who was happy to subsidise a tenant while prices were going up. Now he has twigged that they are falling he is so desperate to sell that he even brings forward the time of a surveyor's appointment by half an hour.

Weren't we asking a while back whether or not the BTL brigade would bale out? I think we have the answer.

Something similar happened to me. It was a very stressful experience.

I came up with two potential solutions:

( a ) Pay someone to hospitalise him.

( b ) Engage the services of a friend who happens to be solicitor and stress his obligations to me with duplicates of all correspondence going to the law firm.

I opted for the second, though - to this day - I think I should have preferred the first. It would have given far greater satisfaction.

I had a substantial problem that my landlord (who bought while I was a tenant) had a key to my door and was also my next-door neighbour - and had no job. He had no qualms about letting himself in whenever he felt like it.

I hope you changed the locks on him!

I like the sound of that option but, in similar situations, I've always drawn a blank on where to actually find someone who can be trusted to do the deed. Where do you go to find a heavy?

You don't. Legality aside, it's like carrying a knife; you shouldn't do it unless you're ready to deal with the situation that it's turned around and used on you.

[edit; spelling]

Edited by Paddles

I like the sound of that option but, in similar situations, I've always drawn a blank on where to actually find someone who can be trusted to do the deed. Where do you go to find a heavy?

Go into any pub in Liverpool. Glasgow, Leeds or Newcastle, wave £200 in the air and ask the question:

"Is there anyone hard enough in here to take my two hun..."

...and that's about as far as you'll get.

Get involved with people like this and there's only one way the situation is going to go.

Other than asking the landlord, and checking the land registry for price sold and year sold (using a bit of rough guestimates), is there any way of finding out one's mortgage repayment for the property to avoid those who are paying over the rent?

None that I can think of. Good point though, maybe we'll see prospective tenants demanding proof of stability of the landlord over the next year or two as they get fed up of having to move from repo'd places?

Go into any pub in Liverpool. Glasgow, Leeds or Newcastle, wave £200 in the air and ask the question:

"Is there anyone hard enough in here to take my two hun..."

...and that's about as far as you'll get.

Get involved with people like this and there's only one way the situation is going to go.

well maybe not leeds.

You don't. Legality aside, it's like carrying a knife; you shouldn't do it unless you're ready to deal with the situation that it's turned around and used on you.

[edit; spelling]

Sigh, I shall tag all my future postings with an appropriate emoticon so as to make it clear when I'm trying to make, an admittedly lame, amusing point.

None that I can think of. Good point though, maybe we'll see prospective tenants demanding proof of stability of the landlord over the next year or two as they get fed up of having to move from repo'd places?

My thought exactly, I rather do some leg work beforehand than find myself moving on a regular basis, its a real pain in the backside!

Think I will go by the grounds of "disclosure = good, non-disclosure = avoid" from now on.

I have just done this, as I am looking at a new place, and it does not come up on land registry.

So I have told the Letting Agent that I either need evidence of title & up-to-date mortagage payments, or consent & address details from the LL to perform a credit history check.

The LA was a little suprised, but agreed that this was entirley reasonable given that I am extending the LL a line of credit (in the form of rent up front) and given that an increasing number of tennants are geting turfed out due to LL getting reposesed.

It's for this very reason that I wouldn't entertain any AST for a period of less than 2 years at least. Not criticising you personally Paddles, but it's about time that renters started upping the anty and insisting on longer AST's rather than settling for useless 6 month jobbies.

I do appreciate that it's a bit rich me saying this when I'm fortunate enough to living in a HA flat, but it's still my opinion.

It's for this very reason that I wouldn't entertain any AST for a period of less than 2 years at least. Not criticising you personally Paddles, but it's about time that renters started upping the anty and insisting on longer AST's rather than settling for useless 6 month jobbies.

I do appreciate that it's a bit rich me saying this when I'm fortunate enough to living in a HA flat, but it's still my opinion.

Feel free to read my previous posts on this subject. My contract runs until March 2009.....