House Price Crash Forum

Ftse100 Dropped About 13% So Far In 2008 ?

0q0

HOLA441
Well i dropped a grand into glaxo this lunchtime, but i don't expect gains for at least a year or two. I'll probably drop another grand in in a months time and so on ....

but i'm young so i can be forgiven for being foolish and have many years to get the gains back.

Hmm. I was thinking of getting my money back out of my Stocks and Shares ISA. It's with the Halifax and has been for 18 months. Looking back this was probably a bad investment anyway (to use the Halifax), but i was young and had a lot on incomings and very little outgoings and liked the supposed security and returns the Halifax were offering.

If there is more of this to come, i'd prefer my money back (about £6,500 worth down about £100 on my initial investment), but of course no one has a crystal ball.

Should I sit tight or get out whilst I can?

HOLA442
HOLA443
Hmm. I was thinking of getting my money back out of my Stocks and Shares ISA. It's with the Halifax and has been for 18 months. Looking back this was probably a bad investment anyway (to use the Halifax), but i was young and had a lot on incomings and very little outgoings and liked the supposed security and returns the Halifax were offering.

If there is more of this to come, i'd prefer my money back (about £6,500 worth down about £100 on my initial investment), but of course no one has a crystal ball.

Should I sit tight or get out whilst I can?

It all depends on what your timeframe is, your attitude to risk and where you think the markets will go. Personally i can see em dipping a little bit more, but because its so hard to time the markets i bought in now because for me the price was right*

* Disclaimer - I'm absolutely shite at investing (no seriously )

HOLA444
Guest Charlie The Tramp
20/10/87 down 12.2%

19/10/87 down 10.8%

26/10/87 down 6.2%

11/09/01 down 5.7%

22/10/87 down 5.7%

What was the DOW down during those two dates ?

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

C4 News went into the monoline I think - this is that some AAA-rated insurers in the USA would guarantee any money lent to an American local council. Apparently some such monoline insurers have been downgraded from AAA or something like that.

I didn't realise local govt in the US had to have their borrowings guaranteed by a private firm!

Anyway, this has wider meaning for the US economy and chances of recession or worse, apparently.

This therefore is a factor in why things are bumpy and the Dow futures have been down quite a bit.

How will it all pan out? Well, pan may be the word.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Interesting few days. Tomorrow will be more of a panic IMPO. However, Charlie (Oooooooooh, what do you have for us today Charlie? <Can I be Lucy Lu?>) is right and there could be equally a big upwards swing in the coming weeks. There are probably plenty of people waiting to buy in already. Isn't Anthony Bolton of Fidelity buying?

I have to agree with Charlie. Despite the recent eye watering falls in Stock Market valuations I do not think we are anywhere near full capitulation. For a start the Central Banks still have some room to cut interest rates which will probably engender some pretty powerful Bear Market rallies over the next 12 months. It is only when the penny drops amongst traders that monetary easing will not rescue the economy that we will see the markets finally collapse. We are close but we are not there yet.

HOLA4410
Wahey - it's my first Post!!!! (I'm a long time lurker, been following these boards for about 14 months.

This news is headlining the BBC six o'clock news! Unbeleivable. I honestly thought they would bury it deep.

Welcome Craig.... nice to see you finally bit the bullet and have come to play!!

Just out of interest..... what took you so long???

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Down

172 points according to BBC website

Unusually, advfn.com is not indicating the DJIA as moving, probably a glitch.

Assuming the media soothes the DJ market overnight, they're now talking about fears (real or otherwise) of "another shoe to drop".

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

BBC News 24 failed to mention that DJIA down 170-200 points - instead they focussed on the London FTSE being up on the day.

By contrast, Sky News have the Dow ticker in-vision and a scrolling message that the Dow is down. They also mentioned it when speaking to their correspondent. (Although he let the side down by saying "Slightly down on the day" - like 200 points is slightly down!)

The subliminal or attempted message is "Don't panic!" - I wonder why they'd say that when they have a duty to surely only report it neutrally.

HOLA4415

After all that panicing, the figures currently show that the FTSE has only dropped by less than 10% over 12 months - which isn't bad considering the current morale.

Day to day figures are a bit of a sham though - you need to look at the overall story.

As for percentage, the great crash of 29 took three years to lose 89% of its value - that isn't going to happen this time, so at least that is something to be happy about!

:)

HOLA4416
BBC News 24 failed to mention that DJIA down 170-200 points - instead they focussed on the London FTSE being up on the day.

By contrast, Sky News have the Dow ticker in-vision and a scrolling message that the Dow is down. They also mentioned it when speaking to their correspondent. (Although he let the side down by saying "Slightly down on the day" - like 200 points is slightly down!)

The subliminal or attempted message is "Don't panic!" - I wonder why they'd say that when they have a duty to surely only report it neutrally.

Don't you think maybe the reason the Dow is down is because it is catching up with business?

It was closed yesterday, so it needs time to catch up. You are also looking at a different rate of figures. 200 points is only 1.5%, which is a reasonable number after a day off!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418