House Price Crash Forum

Ftse100 Dropped About 13% So Far In 2008 ?

0q0

HOLA441

Pretty steep drop, on the back of drops in recent months.

If lots of media folk hadn't BTLed I think they'd have made more of this in the media today & tomorrow! But they don't want to worry anyone in case it stops the January bounce they're trying to induce.

Or am I being unfair to them?

We'll see what coverage it gets tonight & tomorrow.

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA442
Pretty steep drop, on the back of drops in recent months.

If lots of media folk hadn't BTLed I think they'd have made more of this in the media today & tomorrow! But they don't want to worry anyone in case it stops the January bounce they're trying to induce.

Or am I being unfair to them?

We'll see what coverage it gets tonight & tomorrow.

Sounds about right to me. Bury the bad news, talk about the floods in the North instead.

HOLA443
Guest The_Oldie

They're scared of being accused of talking down the market. If they make a big song and dance about it, investors with minor share portfolios who don't keep tabs on their investments may all rush for the exit tomorrow.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Sounds about right to me. Bury the bad news, talk about the floods in the North instead.
They're scared of being accused of talking down the market. If they make a big song and dance about it, investors with minor share portfolios who don't keep tabs on their investments may all rush for the exit tomorrow.

Yep, very good points & replies, that sounds pretty much it.

HOLA446
HOLA447
Guest Charlie The Tramp

Exactly, how the tiddlers can do a lot of damage as happened in 1987.

I knew guys who boasted that they only lost a few grand then, if they had held on they would have lost nothing as the SM soon recovered. :rolleyes:

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Guest The_Oldie

On BBC Breakfast News this morning, Declan failed to show the FTSE chart (which he always shows) after his piece on Northern Rock. I thought at the time that he was reluctant to panic the small investors before they left for work, the first many will know of the falls will be when they watch the evening news.

HOLA4412
Wahey - it's my first Post!!!! (I'm a long time lurker, been following these boards for about 14 months.

This news is headlining the BBC six o'clock news! Unbeleivable. I honestly thought they would bury it deep.

Welcome to HPC,

the BBC said "no real reason for the falls"...just some mutterings about "fears of recession in USA...fears of credit problem etc spreading to wider economy".

Erm, they are reasons. What does it take, a big sign up in lights in Piccadilly Circus?

HOLA4413
Exactly, how the tiddlers can do a lot of damage as happened in 1987.

I knew guys who boasted that they only lost a few grand then, if they had held on they would have lost nothing as the SM soon recovered. :rolleyes:

Interesting few days. Tomorrow will be more of a panic IMPO. However, Charlie (Oooooooooh, what do you have for us today Charlie? <Can I be Lucy Lu?>) is right and there could be equally a big upwards swing in the coming weeks. There are probably plenty of people waiting to buy in already. Isn't Anthony Bolton of Fidelity buying?

HOLA4414
On BBC Breakfast News this morning, Declan failed to show the FTSE chart (which he always shows) after his piece on Northern Rock. I thought at the time that he was reluctant to panic the small investors before they left for work, the first many will know of the falls will be when they watch the evening news.

Yeah it was a, cough ahem, technical oversight ;)

HOLA4415
Without having the figures (or the time to find them), my gut feeling is that it may be at least in the vicinity of the highest drop in terms of number of points, but probably not in percentage terms.

BBC web site says...

World stock indexes, including the UK's FTSE 100, post their biggest falls since 11 September, 2001.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
Rober Peston was syaing on the BBC News at 6pm that things are pretty bad looking forward and also mentioned monolines - which is the first time I have heard it on mainstream news.

What's a monoline?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Channel 4 News top story - analyst somewhere said "possible US depression". Shame that was not on BBC1 or ITV, but C4 has an intellectuall viewership I hope (despite being the channel to commission the puerile Big Brother).

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA4422
What's a monoline?

House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up.....House prices only go up..... :)

HOLA4423
I'm just wondering whether I should risk throwing some of my meagre savings into an index tracking ISA this week, or whether I should hang back and wait for more falls.

Well i dropped a grand into glaxo this lunchtime, but i don't expect gains for at least a year or two. I'll probably drop another grand in in a months time and so on ....

but i'm young so i can be forgiven for being foolish and have many years to get the gains back.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425