House Price Crash Forum

St. Albans / Hatfield / Welwyn Gc

FaTB

Just wondered if anybody had seen any evidence of a slowdown in any of these areas, houses sticking, price drops etc.

Any opinions of what will happen, as some think St. Albans will be immune being a relatively desirable area

Would also be interested if anybody knows what happened in this area last time, i've heard a few anecdotals over the years but I was a bit too young to be interested at the time.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last time around two bed terrace in St Albans in a probably less than average desirable road went from £90-95,000 to £60-65,000 between 1989 to 1992/3. Not sure what they are now, must be c£275,000. Maybe a fair bit more. I'm out of touch, moved out as it is now a nightmare for traffic IMO, and centre a disaster at night at w/es. I moved to East Herts and much prefer it, but depends what you want. If the City has a tough time - sorry, the City is now having a tough time - will be plenty of overstretched owners, so could even be worse than average.

Top end saw loads on the market in last downturn, so the road I bought in, having seen at most one on the market at a time, had 6 on when I bought, was able to bid the vendors off against each other.

• 3 weeks later...

Most people I have discussed it with now accept that house prices are not going up anymore.

Some even accept that there might be a crash now, but they still believe St. Albans will be immune.

I do know a couple of people trying to sell in the area at the moment without success, but they will not accept that the price is the problem.

My only real memory of the last crash was a friend some years older than myself, had to sell his flat in WGC, had been paying the mortgage for about 5 years, and still went back to his parents house at the age of 30, owing about £10k !!

I suspect Welwyn & Hatfield would be much harder hit than St. Albans, but I don't have any evidence to back this up, as I have little memory of what happened round here last time.

I moved away from St Albans at new year, the guy I was renting with went and bought a house.

1 bed semi detached shoe box in Jersey Farm area. £185,000

Yes, you read that right.

Anyway, he seems to be of the same as opinion as 'people'... "prices wont drop in this area" and of course "anyway, it's different this time"

1 bed semi detached shoe box in Jersey Farm area. £185,000

Yes, you read that right.

Unfortunately, I am not suprised by that price.

I live in the area and I know how mad things have got !!

I just hope that when the market completely seizes up & nothing is selling, that prices will come tumbling down !!

• 2 weeks later...

BUMP

Come on people, somebody on here must have an interest in this area.

St. Albans is apparently now one of the most desirable / expensive places in the country, its even on the monopoly board now !!

How about you 'Financial Planner' ?? I know you live in E. Herts, but have you got any knowledge or opinions on the St. Albans area ?

Been monitoring the 500-900 price range in central St Albans for a few months.

Market has ground to a halt in terms of LR sales, think there were only around 3-5 sales in December LR figures.

Property bee showing quite a few 5% reductions , perhaps 5% of the total stock in this price range have now been dropped.

However a number (6ish) flipped from Available to Under Offer in the last week, Spring bounce might be having a limited effect.

We'll have to see if the chains hold up.

There is however lot of stock coming onto the market all price bands, 22 total in the last 24 hours. There were 32 on Friday.

• 4 weeks later...

I live in this area and have been watching house prices for a while. They haven't really moved for ages, up or down. The only thing that has gone up is the number of EA signs. There seems to be an oversupply of over priced housing round here atm and a distinct lack of demand. Price equilibrium must be attained somehow.

St A in particular seems vunerable to any downturn in London prices as most of the inhabitants are London commuters, who moved to the outskirts as it was too expensive. Any decrease in London prices will lead to people moving back to avoid excessive transport cost & time.

My opinion: why would you buy now? Rent, it's cheaper. Buy when prices are more realistic. I think there will be a significant reuction in prices over the next 12-18 months (c 40% - 50%).

My opinion: why would you buy now? Rent, it's cheaper. Buy when prices are more realistic. I think there will be a significant reuction in prices over the next 12-18 months (c 40% - 50%).

Don't worry matey I won't be buying anything for a good while yet.

I'm just saving, saving, saving !!

If this thing gets really bad, and alot of jobs go, I may need the money just to live, let alone buying a house.

BTW- Welcome to the forum 'Pytyr' and anything you can add to this thead would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...
Most people I have discussed it with now accept that house prices are not going up anymore.

Some even accept that there might be a crash now, but they still believe St. Albans will be immune.

I do know a couple of people trying to sell in the area at the moment without success, but they will not accept that the price is the problem.

My only real memory of the last crash was a friend some years older than myself, had to sell his flat in WGC, had been paying the mortgage for about 5 years, and still went back to his parents house at the age of 30, owing about £10k !!

I suspect Welwyn & Hatfield would be much harder hit than St. Albans, but I don't have any evidence to back this up, as I have little memory of what happened round here last time.

I agree about Welwyn & Hatfield. Five years ago no one wanted to live there, it had a awful reputation. Then the same people who slated it suddenly discovered "better" areas within that bracket, Old Hatfield etc because that was all they could afford. However once prices drop in other areas I am sure they won't be able to sell. It really is a crappy area, full of chavs and quite high in crime.

• 1 month later...

Current thoughts anyone? My perusals of Rightmove are showing a much better quality of properties in the £240 - 270k range (ie buy below £250k) in the St Albans area. I also noticed that many ads state that properties are ideal for 'first time buyers/ downshifters'. A few months ago the ads were all aimed at BTL.

Well I rent in the new build area of hatfield and I find it to be a peaceful place, I haven't experienced any crimes against me or any problems. Luckily all the low lifes are up past the asda area.

In contrast where I used to live in London my ex was mugged, my car was vandalised 3 times, my rented garage was broken into 4 times, my rented garage was vandalised, I was harrassed by police, builders also caused damage to my car, the bloke in the flat above left his bath overflowing whilst I was out and completely flooded my flat, I had two bikes stolen both had £30 locks on, the buses and tube were so damn unreliable, a gas leak outside my flat nearly killed me, the noise pollution was excessive from the cars/trains going by at night and the people over road would play music after 2am, I received 17 parking tickets, 1 NIP for dangerous driving that was not me and the list goes on. The only reason I want to move back to London is to be closer to work.

Current thoughts anyone? My perusals of Rightmove are showing a much better quality of properties in the £240 - 270k range (ie buy below £250k) in the St Albans area. I also noticed that many ads state that properties are ideal for 'first time buyers/ downshifters'. A few months ago the ads were all aimed at BTL.

I have Property Bee data for all property in St Albans going back to January if anyone's interested (see attached) - not had the time to analyse myself recently.

pb_export.zip

pb_export.zip

Just wondered if anybody had seen any evidence of a slowdown in any of these areas, houses sticking, price drops etc.

Any opinions of what will happen, as some think St. Albans will be immune being a relatively desirable area

Would also be interested if anybody knows what happened in this area last time, i've heard a few anecdotals over the years but I was a bit too young to be interested at the time.

Elderly aunt's 4-bed in Welwyn went on market in December for £425K. She's had to go into a home, sale being handled by relatives. Subsequently reduced via £399K to £365K - still no bites that I've heard of. It's a 70s house, very nice area, needs mod. and only one bathroom (though 2 basins, bath and sep. shower), but v. good space for a family, downstairs loo, big kitchen, garage, etc.

Even in current market I'd have thought a family overflowing from a smaller house might have bitten, but guess people can't sell their own.

Also avocado bathroom might be putting them off. As is well known, you can catch plague from avocado bathrooms. :P

Edit: sorry, this is Welwyn, not WGC. Only just realised you meant WGC.

Edited by Mrs Bear

Well I rent in the new build area of hatfield and I find it to be a peaceful place, I haven't experienced any crimes against me or any problems. Luckily all the low lifes are up past the asda area.

In contrast where I used to live in London my ex was mugged, my car was vandalised 3 times, my rented garage was broken into 4 times, my rented garage was vandalised, I was harrassed by police, builders also caused damage to my car, the bloke in the flat above left his bath overflowing whilst I was out and completely flooded my flat, I had two bikes stolen both had £30 locks on, the buses and tube were so damn unreliable, a gas leak outside my flat nearly killed me, the noise pollution was excessive from the cars/trains going by at night and the people over road would play music after 2am, I received 17 parking tickets, 1 NIP for dangerous driving that was not me and the list goes on. The only reason I want to move back to London is to be closer to work.

Is that why your nickname is 'Lucky'?