Northern Ireland Economy

Vespasian

HOLA441
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I agree that it would be possible to deal with... without really impacting our services. I am confident that the biggest pain we will suffer will be not a degradation in service... but the strike actions which will inevitably be imposed.

With a coalition here they will all fight their corners. Govt with no concensus and a track record of brinkmanship.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/local-national/northern-ireland/special-treatment-case-over-cuts-14955942.html

Northern Ireland can argue for special treatment in the face of the threatened £2 billion Treasury cuts, First Minister Peter Robinson has said.

His comments came despite claims by Finance Minister Sammy Wilson that London would be unimpressed by such pleas.

You'll be able to hear the treasury laughing in Belfast :lol::lol:

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

Its a funny old world. Work hard and save hard to pay for those that are in debt

It is so f*cking perverse that people are having their mortgages paid for by the government.

People get free houses from the government.

If you don't feel like working, you'll get a free salary from the government.

If you are a lazy git, you'll get a free car from the government.

If you look at these numbers:

Mr Higgins said that since November 2009 they had met 1,224 clients with almost £19m-worth of debt.

That works out at about £150,000 per person.

How on earth could people in NI be given mortgages like that.

What are you thinking? Those could be the high earners - wll, there's over 1,000 of them! Fools the lot of them.

The biggest fools are the tax-payers - us! Best thing is to leave NI and the UK forever and settle somewhere where work is paid and gamblers pay their debts!

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
  • 3 weeks later...
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Anyone watch spotlight lastnight? I only watched the report during the first 5 or so minutes (i saw the panel and then decided to go to bed).

Didn't make for good veiwing at all. Anglea McGowan was interviewd (although after this rubbish i have no idea why http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8397938.stm)

There was some other guy getting interviewed in the new high rise apartment block in Belfast and painted a very dim future.

How did the rest of the programme go?

Edited by pajd

HOLA4418

Anyone watch spotlight lastnight? I only watched the report during the first 5 or so minutes (i saw the panel and then decided to go to bed).

Didn't make for good veiwing at all. Anglea McGowan was interviewd (although after this rubbish i have no idea why http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/northern_ireland/8397938.stm)

There was some other guy getting interviewed in the new high rise apartment block in Belfast and painted a very dim future.

How did the rest of the programme go?

Awful program imho , didn't make it to the end as so much nonsense was spouted :(

The thing that is bugging me is that the government budget increased above inflation for many years but a freeze in growth of budgets seen as a disaster. :angry:

The one good point on last nights program was a business woman stating that her employees did the work of 3 civil servants , the civil servants and union reps were not impressed :lol::lol:

HOLA4419

Where does the 30% public sector employment figure come from? I thought this was more like 70% with more public dependant jobs in the private sector.

I think the figure is actually 28% compared to 22% in the uk (as low as 19% in some areas). This is the figure for the directly employed. You must add to that the wider circle of the service industry etc that tends them and then include other 'trades' such as health service and teachers that may not be included in the above. Obviously you have to do the same for other districts as well. But it seams clear that we have, at least 25% more people employed by the government here than average.

At times certain things were de-centralise to various employment black spots around the UK. The TAX offices are in Coleraine, Cardiff and Manchester. The are other 'civil Service things that NI carries out for the whole of the UK (cant remember what they are but I am sure they are very important).

The thing is, during and shortly after the troubles, some of our MP's etc actually did some good and convinced the UK government to take a risk and move these jobs over here to Coleraine, BT to Enniskillen and others to Stroke City. So we have to be careful we don't get what we wish for. I am all for cutting the fat off the system but I wouldn't like to see these, hard won jobs re-located back to England just to show that we were able to make the cuts.

We have a higher proportion of civil Servants in NI compared to the UK, based on population. People automatically equate this with over governance and wastage (which I am sure exists). However they forget that convincing the UK establishment to move these jobs to Cardiff and NI was, at one time viewed as a great success and the fact that we have more public jobs here, per head than Wales shows that someone done a good job. Whilst there has to be cuts I would like to think that we would have the intelligence to hold on the the jobs (at least in percentage terms) that were so hard won.

Non recruitment and natural retirements accounts for 6 to 10% of the public sector's work force. Over the last two years there has been very little recruitment and lots or retirements. Wonder where that has left them?

HOLA4420
HOLA4421

Bbc Link

I see they have confirmed that the £18bn Captail Funding package will not be cut. Sounds like a bit of a fudge to me. But at lease it's a good news story for NI. Welcome news for everybody.

if i read it correctly

maybe not as good news as the headline sugests

from 05 till now they have already spent near enough 10 bill

or 2 bill /year

from now till 18 they have 8 bill

or i bill/year

so in reality the construction budget per year will be half of what the industry had become accustomed too

never mind what inflation will do to the budgets purchasing power

but hey half a loaf is better than b*gger all

rock on!

HOLA4422

if i read it correctly

maybe not as good news as the headline sugests

from 05 till now they have already spent near enough 10 bill

or 2 bill /year

from now till 18 they have 8 bill

or i bill/year

so in reality the construction budget per year will be half of what the industry had become accustomed too

never mind what inflation will do to the budgets purchasing power

but hey half a loaf is better than b*gger all

rock on!

I read it like that as well. The spin is sickening.

Edited by Bill Poster

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425