House Price Crash Forum

Northern Ireland Economy

Vespasian

HOLA441
Again, what's with all this talk of "giving" money to a landlord?

You do realise that when you take out a mortgage, you're "giving" money to the bank on top of the principal that you owe. With the 35 year mortgages that they're handing out these days, the interest you're paying is often greater than the principal you're borrowing.

I don't get the extreme aversion that people seem to have about renting. I would even go as far as saying that there's a social stigma to being a renter. I guess this is a topic for another thread, so I'll be quiet.

Apologies, I didn't make myself clear - I am very much pro-renting - if I do move out within the next couple of years, which I may well do, I will definately be renting.

In my original post, I meant to add 'or paying interest to a bank' to the renting comment. And as for a 35 year mortgage - over my dead body. If the housing market continues to where prices should be, and I manage to keep my job for the next few years, any house that I buy will be bought outright - no mortgage for me thankyouverymuch.

The point I was trying to make was that you were having a go at people for still living with their parents well into their 20's, whenever there are plenty of people who are perfectly happy doing this. Most of these people would be sharing houses with others when they do move out, so why not share with people you've known all your life, at a lower cost than sharing a house with strangers?

Edited by JoeDavola

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I guess its a matter of priorities. I live at home and for the most part I enjoy it. My parents like having me around too (I think!) I've got 60K in the bank that I wouldn't have if I'd rented and pretty soon I'm going to buy a house with a manageable mortgage without fear of negative equity and keep a little aside for a rainy day. My parents have a done a great thing for me by allowing me to stay and I'm really grateful to them.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8160759.stm

Maghaberry prison is one of the most expensive in the United Kingdom and also one of the worst, a team of inspectors have said.
In terms of overall performance, it is in the bottom third despite being one of the most expensive prisons in the UK with an annual cost of £81,500 per prisoner.

No wonder the government is keen to let crims out early :ph34r:

£81,500/year , why not just give them £30k a year to behave ? It could'nt be any less successful than the current system :angry:

HOLA446

staying well clear of the leaving the nest debate

just a wee anecdotal i heard the other day

a couple living with their parents have saved over 40 k

this will let them buy a wee house that they like with 70% morgage

only problem the bank wont give them a morgage as they have no utility bills in their names!

rock on!

HOLA447
HOLA448

http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business...0-14422937.html

Sales at Harvey Norman's Irish stores have slumped by between 20% and 40% and all of the outlets are unprofitable, the company admitted yesterday.

However, it added it's not immediately planning to close any of the stores despite the sharp decline in retail spending and rising unemployment.

Releasing a trading statement yesterday, the Australian company's executive chairman Gerry Harvey said that he had never witnessed the type of rapid sales decline the group is currently experiencing in Ireland and has previously described Ireland's economy as a “basket caseâ€.

Mr Harvey, who owns 30% of the listed company, also said he regretted ever entering the Irish market.

The company opened two stores in Northern Ireland last year, but admitted soon after its timing had been bad.

:lol::lol:

Little sympathy i hate those " Go Harvey Go " ads :ph34r:

HOLA449
HOLA4410

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8163868.stm

While many golfers like to get away from the cares of the world out on the course, the recession means that an increasing number of people are finding it difficult to stump up the annual memberships fees which can typically range from £600 to £1,000.

At a time when cash is scarce some members are clearly deciding to cut back and just pay green fees on the days they actually play.

Not only are membership lists dwindling but the recession also means less sponsorship is available for competitions.

Ea's , bankers and developers having to spend more time working and less time being annoying golfers ;)

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
Ea's , bankers and developers having to spend more time working and less time being annoying golfers ;)

Funny, I was discussing this yesterday with a friend, before this was in the media. I told him he would be able to get a cheap set of golf clubs soon - just keep checking the classified ads. He told me that golf was the last thing that people would give up during the recession, because they would not want to show that they had no money :blink:

I didn't bother explaining that many people would be cutting back during the recession and golf is definitely an expensive luxury. People who lose their jobs will not be worried at all about keeping their golf membership.

I hear that there are no longer any waiting list to join clubs and some clubs are even waving joining fees to encourage new membership.

There may also have been a bubble in golf membership. :unsure:

HOLA4413

go harvey go

- my uncle is a manager of a sydney store so hope they dont struggle too much!

golf

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/golf/8162223.stm

the lough erne golf resort opened officially yesterday. if you fancy membership better have £30,000 at hand

http://www.loughernegolfresort.com/golf-membership.html

Edited by getdoon_weebobby

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
There may also have been a bubble in golf membership. :unsure:

I don't think so.

Savvy property entrepreneurs were too busy watching daytime TV before finally taking the plunge in mid-2007 and realising the capital in their £250k 3 bed house in Carrickfergus to buy 3 flats on NI's Atlantic Riviera near the thriving town of Portrush, a former barn (with huge potential) in the Dorgdogne and a ski lodge in an up and coming Bulgarian resort - off plan.

Golf is for wimps!

HOLA4417
My OH joined a golf club recently and they were losing members in droves. In my home town in Ireland, there used to be a waiting list of a few years long and the joining fee was about 20k euros. The waiting list no longer exists. I presume the joining fees will drop soon.

Can I ask what club this was? I dropped to house membership of my club last year but had half assumed that your average member would have enough money not to be too concerned by the fees....

• 2 weeks later...
HOLA4418

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8185632.stm

The firm which runs some of Belfast's best known bars and nightspots has gone into administration.

Ultimate Leisure Limited has had administrators appointed after its parent company ran up debts of £40m.

Chichester Street's Advocate bar has closed, while others in the group will continue to trade in administration.

These include the Potthouse in the Cathedral Quarter, Bambu Beach Club at the Odyssey, Irene and Nan's and Bar Baca close to Great Victoria Street.

Maybe there aren't as many "young professionals" in Belfast as the developers thought ;)

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425