House Price Crash Forum

good idea. outsourcing financial details management to India.

I know who not to use in the future

You have no choice; they've got records on you already. Send them a cheque for 2 quid to find out what the data contains.

There's a risk that someone could make a legal case against this move.

I think there's legislation the the US that would stop this type of offshore, funny how we've not got the same thing here.

You have no choice; they've got records on you already. Send them a cheque for 2 quid to find out what the data contains.

There's a risk that someone could make a legal case against this move.

I think there's legislation the the US that would stop this type of offshore, funny how we've not got the same thing here.

I know. I could have worded it better.

I feel so safe now that Mr. Singh will take care of:

-my financial details

-my phone customer care

-my car customer care

-my electrical appliances customer care

and so on...

(nothing against Mr. Singh BTW)

I know. I could have worded it better.

I feel so safe now that Mr. Singh will take care of:

-my financial details

-my phone customer care

-my car customer care

-my electrical appliances customer care

and so on...

(nothing against Mr. Singh BTW)

Exactly. Which is why I think this could be challenged legally; with the consumer items you've listed you have a choice. So if I know that my bank uses offshore resources I can switch to one that doesn't, ditto mobile phone company, utilities etc.

But a credit agency collects data from these companies without my permission, so if I've made a conscious decision not to allow my personal data outside of the UK, Experian's offshore may have just over-ruled me.

There's got to be a data protection/data security issue to be investigated here. I'd write to my MP about it but he'd probably just forward my email and personal details to the ONS and then write to me 6 months later to apologise for them getting lost.

I worked at Experian briefly after uni and I wouldn't worry about your information not being secure; it never has been.

For starters, the processing of the electoral roll information has always been outsourced to India; that is why there are so many mistakes on the final version - it's fact, I've seen it.

Following on from that, before and whilst I was there, there were horrendous breaches of security regarding information.

Basically, any employee there can get the appropriate network privileges to access the most sensitive information if they happen to be working on a project that involved it; for us, it was checking credit viability through looking at a potential customer's pre-existing and current financial data. This was seen on a system whereby it would show their current address, sourced from banks, credit, catalogue etc etc companies. It would also show ALL of their addresses over the last six years, and full details of ANY kind of credit account they had, including bank details, credit card, loan agreements etc etc, you get the picture.

However, Experian is a company that traditionally has a massive turnover of temps, who will come in for one project and do really basic work like data entry, post opening and such like. I lost count of the amount of times that people would show off to the temps with the 'look what I can do' thing, and show them all their 'secret' info. Of course, people would ask for the ids and passwords to access this info, and they were freely available if you got chummy with the right person!

There were incidents whereby this data was severely compromised by people who knew about this, and the information was then used for scams/half-scams and such like. But did you ever read about it? Oh no, obviously not, because obviously Experian is the safest company in the whole wide world. Anything that happened then and may have happened since is kept very hush hush because of the corporate image that Experian have built up around themselves.

It made me laugh after I left there in 1997.. in the Daily Mail there was a big double-page expo which focused on one of the directors and he was coming out with all the 'safe as houses' kind of rubbish; I was going to write into them but couldn't really be bothered, as I'd moved on from the place, but seeing this now makes me question their decision to outsource various operations, which, although ostensibly are restricted to the IT departments will pretty much be guaranteed to spread out to the rank and file eventually - as the comments on the Evening Post link mention, they ARE a cut-throat company, where only sycophants thrive.

Just my tupporth :)

It is this sort of thing why I am not nationalistic.

The owners/management will sell you down the river if they can make a few quid, without a seconds thought.

Why feel any loyalty, I hope when/if these jobs return to the country people say **** you, I am not working for you as I remember when you outsourced the jobs in the first place.

Also that is my ******* data they are using to make money with, my personal information, I dont remember giving permission for them to use it.

Why should have to pay them to see my own personal ******* data, they should be paying me!

******* *****s! arshole ******ing shit ******ing *****!

It is this sort of thing why I am not nationalistic.

The owners/management will sell you down the river if they can make a few quid, without a seconds thought.

Why feel any loyalty, I hope when/if these jobs return to the country people say **** you, I am not working for you as I remember when you outsourced the jobs in the first place.

Also that is my ******* data they are using to make money with, my personal information, I dont remember giving permission for them to use it.

Why should have to pay them to see my own personal ******* data, they should be paying me!

******* *****s! arshole ******ing shit ******ing *****!

Eloquently put.

Just wait till the new NHS systems are finished go online. Looking on the bright side, your doctor will be able to find your medical records with a simple search. Only problem will be the search being on Google..

At the moment the two biggest private employers are Capital One and Experian in Nottingham. If they start to shrink so does nottingham

What, are you trying to tell me that the entire town is now longer employed in skillful artifice and production of fine silk for Ladies undergarments?

Wow, it's changed since I was last there.

I would have thought that 2 - 300 experienced IT staff would be ideally placed to get together to start a new business - say as a credit reference agency, for example...

They wouldn't have to pay the middle managers they'd left behind, so they could even be quite competitive!

(of course, it would be illegal for them to take a copy of their previous employer's database as a foundation for their new business , wouldn't it...but very difficult to stop, with USB flash memory being so small and cheap...)

I worked at Experian briefly after uni and I wouldn't worry about your information not being secure; it never has been.

For starters, the processing of the electoral roll information has always been outsourced to India; that is why there are so many mistakes on the final version - it's fact, I've seen it.

Following on from that, before and whilst I was there, there were horrendous breaches of security regarding information.

Basically, any employee there can get the appropriate network privileges to access the most sensitive information if they happen to be working on a project that involved it; for us, it was checking credit viability through looking at a potential customer's pre-existing and current financial data. This was seen on a system whereby it would show their current address, sourced from banks, credit, catalogue etc etc companies. It would also show ALL of their addresses over the last six years, and full details of ANY kind of credit account they had, including bank details, credit card, loan agreements etc etc, you get the picture.

However, Experian is a company that traditionally has a massive turnover of temps, who will come in for one project and do really basic work like data entry, post opening and such like. I lost count of the amount of times that people would show off to the temps with the 'look what I can do' thing, and show them all their 'secret' info. Of course, people would ask for the ids and passwords to access this info, and they were freely available if you got chummy with the right person!

There were incidents whereby this data was severely compromised by people who knew about this, and the information was then used for scams/half-scams and such like. But did you ever read about it? Oh no, obviously not, because obviously Experian is the safest company in the whole wide world. Anything that happened then and may have happened since is kept very hush hush because of the corporate image that Experian have built up around themselves.

It made me laugh after I left there in 1997.. in the Daily Mail there was a big double-page expo which focused on one of the directors and he was coming out with all the 'safe as houses' kind of rubbish; I was going to write into them but couldn't really be bothered, as I'd moved on from the place, but seeing this now makes me question their decision to outsource various operations, which, although ostensibly are restricted to the IT departments will pretty much be guaranteed to spread out to the rank and file eventually - as the comments on the Evening Post link mention, they ARE a cut-throat company, where only sycophants thrive.

Just my tupporth :)

If my memory is correct I'm sure some representative from Experian always shows up on programs like Watchdog after they've just done some expose of somoene else's data loss. It's like a "here's the expert from Experian who will tell us how important it is to keep our data safe" type of thing.

If my memory is correct I'm sure some representative from Experian always shows up on programs like Watchdog after they've just done some expose of somoene else's data loss. It's like a "here's the expert from Experian who will tell us how important it is to keep our data safe" type of thing.

That's right! And let me tell you for a fact: although the information itself is stored securely in a physical sense i.e. servers locked away in hidden bunkers etc, if you have the wherewithall, you could get access to that info in a week without any hassle.

They use agencies who do not check the references of their temps or carry out security checks, and any old sod could get in the place and have access to this info. It's completely farcical.