House Price Crash Forum

Is Today A Real Hpc Red Letter Day?

drrayjo

HOLA441

It seems like there has been some sort of invisible, irrevocable line crossed today in terms of mass awareness/meme establishment of where houses are really gonna go...

The talk on the street, the RICS report, the FTSE response, the banking woes, my father in law telling someone not to buy in a falling market!!

Anyway, rejoice, I suppose.

(I knew it wouldn't feel quite as good as expected, nothing ever does!)

A red letter day (sometimes hyphenated as red-letter day) is any day of special significance.

The term originates from Medieval church calendars. Illuminated manuscripts often marked initial capitals and highlighted words in red ink, known as rubrics. The First Council of Nicaea in 325 decreed the saint's days, feasts and other holy days, which came to be printed on church calendars in red. The term came into wider usage with the appearance in 1549 of the first Book of Common Prayer in which the calendar showed special holy days in red ink.

Many current calendars have special dates and holidays such as Sundays, Christmas Day and Midsummer Day rendered in red colour instead of black.

On red letter days, judges of the English High Court (Queen's Bench Division) wear, at sittings of the Court of Law, their scarlet robes (See court dress). Also in the United Kingdom, other civil dates have been added to the original religious dates. These include anniversaries of the Monarch's birthday, official birthday, accession and coronation.

The term "red letter day" is colloquially used to indicate any date of personal significance.

HOLA442
HOLA443
The talk on the street, the RICS report, the FTSE response, the banking woes, my father in law telling someone not to buy in a falling market!!

I cant imagine what it would take to make my father in law pipe down about property. He was giving my missus an ear bashing about it again over the weekend. He has finally conceded that prices may stay flat or drop "but only in the north".

HOLA444

Indeed. I sensed it first thing this morning as I turned on Bloomberg and some big money fellows were talkking about going to cash as everything looked bad.

Glad I went 100% cash in my current investment account months ago and almost 70% cash in my retirement stuff.

If Gold takes a hit today--I mean a real hit--the whole lot could come tumbling down in a matter of days.

Why gold? If money is moving out of gold it means fear has taken grip and when fear takes hold people go to the mattresses (cash).

HOLA445
HOLA446
Indeed. I sensed it first thing this morning as I turned on Bloomberg and some big money fellows were talkking about going to cash as everything looked bad.

Glad I went 100% cash in my current investment account months ago and almost 70% cash in my retirement stuff.

If Gold takes a hit today--I mean a real hit--the whole lot could come tumbling down in a matter of days.

Why gold? If money is moving out of gold it means fear has taken grip and when fear takes hold people go to the mattresses (cash).

Cash under the mattress is okay in a deflationary environment, but as soon as the herd catches on to the inflationary stunts that are being pulled by governments and central banks, gold will resume its safe-haven status - at least, that's the way I read it.

Edited for typo.

Edited by Methinkshe

HOLA447
It seems like there has been some sort of invisible, irrevocable line crossed today in terms of mass awareness/meme establishment of where houses are really gonna go...

Anyway, rejoice, I suppose.

(I knew it wouldn't feel quite as good as expected, nothing ever does!)

Don't worry I am sure the FTSE and Dow will have a bit of a bounce and we will be back to fretting. :)

Incidentally, it was my father in law back in July who managed to tip the balance with mrs bob and got her to agree to rent for a while. So I am grateful to him in more than 1 way now.

RB, I thought fear was the reason to go into gold. Are you saying it is both now?

HOLA448
I cant imagine what it would take to make my father in law pipe down about property. He was giving my missus an ear bashing about it again over the weekend. He has finally conceded that prices may stay flat or drop "but only in the north".

I am glad I didn't take the advice of my father in law last year, he had some print out for us from BBC about the "shared ownership". I binned it after they left :lol:

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
Don't worry I am sure the FTSE and Dow will have a bit of a bounce and we will be back to fretting. :)

Incidentally, it was my father in law back in July who managed to tip the balance with mrs bob and got her to agree to rent for a while. So I am grateful to him in more than 1 way now.

RB, I thought fear was the reason to go into gold. Are you saying it is both now?

IMO fear of deflation may be driving the markets (at least in the short-medium term). I know inflation is still rising but I think it may be a lagging indicator--the last dying breaths of the Gordon style miracles worldwide. Now that the bubbles are deflating it follows that deflation will be the new game in town.

Huge crashes accross the board will dry up spending and cut oil prices way down. The drivers for inflation are simply not going to be around much longer, IMO.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Heavy Profit booking in Gold and Gilts

There seems to be a serious move towards profit booking.

881.00 as compared to yerstadays London AM fix of 904.75 a Drop in 2.62%

Gold might see modest falls.

Also Gold Futures seem to be a bit more realistic now.

Today is a red letter day.

Now with Bush Begging OPEC to increase production which will drive Oil prices down which will reduce pressure on Gold and Gilts.

FTSE will take a tanking today.

Dada

Edited by Dada

HOLA4414