House Price Crash Forum

Link doesn't seem to be working, for me at least? Would be interested to have a read as a (renting) Brockleyite myself. There's a couple of flats next-door to me that are currently struggling to sell at (admittedly) seriously optimistic prices, whereas previously the signs would barely have been up for a week or two before disappearing again/being plastered as "SoldMorePropertiesNeededNOW!!!". I certainly wouldn't go so far as to call it a trend though...

Bazzup, link doesn't work for me neither.

I've started looking in Brockley (Crofton Park, Honor Oak area). I don't know much about the area at all, but asking prices seems not too bad to me (still higher than what I think is reasonable, but then everything here is overpriced) - I mean, it seems to be a bit better than Lewisham, Clatpon or Peckham and cheaper than East Dulwich / Peckham Rye.

What are your thoughts?

Bazzup, link doesn't work for me neither.

I've started looking in Brockley (Crofton Park, Honor Oak area). I don't know much about the area at all, but asking prices seems not too bad to me (still higher than what I think is reasonable, but then everything here is overpriced) - I mean, it seems to be a bit better than Lewisham, Clatpon or Peckham and cheaper than East Dulwich / Peckham Rye.

What are your thoughts?

It's not a bad area at all IMvHO. Not brilliant in terms of pubs/restaurants etc., though it's gradually improving, and there seem to be more locally owned cafés, delis etc. springing up. Plus it's fairly green and quiet - both of these terms being relative to the adjacent areas rather than London as a whole, obviously.

Transport is decent enough if you're near Brockley/HOP stations, though obviously it's NR-only until the East London Line extension is completed, but then it's always been that way anyway (unlike at the New Cross/NCG end of Brockley, which is where I am and where we're all feeling a bit hard done by since the Tube disappeared). There are far worse places to live in zone 2 and not be shelling out too much for the privilege, anyway.

Edited by Meenzer
  • 2 weeks later...

House madness

I bought in HOP last May. Initially was looking in East Dulwich, but prices are crazy there. I think HOP and Forest Hill have a lot of potential. Its quiet and very residential, and bars & restaurants are slowly getting better. I think the overground in 2 years will give the area a big boost. So far I havent noticed any softening of prices, although properties are taking longer to sell.

Anyhow, good luck!

House madness

I bought in HOP last May. Initially was looking in East Dulwich, but prices are crazy there. I think HOP and Forest Hill have a lot of potential. Its quiet and very residential, and bars & restaurants are slowly getting better. I think the overground in 2 years will give the area a big boost. So far I havent noticed any softening of prices, although properties are taking longer to sell.

Anyhow, good luck!

Me and the missus had a look at HOP in the summer. We wanted somewhere bikeable to the city, and where we could afford to buy a decent sized house. I was amazed at how nice it was and how cheap relatively. The transport was pants though, you have to get in to London Bridge first then take a tube onwards.

Anyways, I dug my heals in and said I'd missed the boat on House prices, and would kick myself even harder if we bought and then they crashed, and so we're still renting. Though missus not very happy about it. She was pissed off they started going down as I wriggled off the must buy house now hook.

She is now worried that with the overground coming in, that HOP is going to go through the roof. And we'll be priced out. Even if the rest of the country is crashing. I hope not.

Try this:

Brockley Central on house prices

There's obviously a lot of us HPC-ers in the vicinity.

I wouldn't get too worried about house prices going through the roof, however: the east london line is mostly an overground service, and they're planning to cut back the frequency of trains on the London Bridge train line:

The truth about the overground?

And look at it this way: has having the same tube line really made New Cross a desirable place to live?

Edited by ezkay
  • 5 months later...
Try this:

Brockley Central on house prices

There's obviously a lot of us HPC-ers in the vicinity.

I wouldn't get too worried about house prices going through the roof, however: the east london line is mostly an overground service, and they're planning to cut back the frequency of trains on the London Bridge train line:

The truth about the overground?

And look at it this way: has having the same tube line really made New Cross a desirable place to live?

Thanks for adding the right link.

However, the stuff about cutting back the trains to London Bridge is an outdated fear which has now been put to rest, certainly for Brockley services. The train frequency will be the same. As for it not really being the tube, that is only true in the sense that it will be administered by TfL rather than LU. So what? It will still be a fully intergrated tube service, with the frequency of a tube. It doesn't go underground a lot, but then neither do large stretches of every tube line. And the trains will have aircon.

Your point about New Cross is a false analogy (and ignores the fact that the Telegraph Hill bit is a very nice area and that New Cross centre has decent nightlife) - the whole point is that it didn't have the same tube line - the old East London Line was not much more than an antiquated shuttle service across the Thames, from New Cross to just the other side of the river. The new service will run from Croydon in the south to Islington in the north and have better trains running more often. It's an entirely different proposition.

Thanks for adding the right link.

However, the stuff about cutting back the trains to London Bridge is an outdated fear which has now been put to rest, certainly for Brockley services. The train frequency will be the same. As for it not really being the tube, that is only true in the sense that it will be administered by TfL rather than LU. So what? It will still be a fully intergrated tube service, with the frequency of a tube. It doesn't go underground a lot, but then neither do large stretches of every tube line. And the trains will have aircon.

Your point about New Cross is a false analogy (and ignores the fact that the Telegraph Hill bit is a very nice area and that New Cross centre has decent nightlife) - the whole point is that it didn't have the same tube line - the old East London Line was not much more than an antiquated shuttle service across the Thames, from New Cross to just the other side of the river. The new service will run from Croydon in the south to Islington in the north and have better trains running more often. It's an entirely different proposition.

telegraph hill is the best place in new cross gate and close to the station, and sainsbury's; and 6 minutes by train to london bridge. still have a flat facing the park on erlanger road but shacked up with my better half in kennington but new cross is great, as long as close to the station, and if can afford it try for victorian conversion in telegraph hill and avoid the new 80's and 90's flats north of new cross road although these are good value at around 150-160k for one bed! brockley too is gorgeous, and i'm a fan of this part of london, although it lacks the east dulwich 'chintz' ie deli, coffee shop etc, but do you really want over-priced olives and chocco-mocco-lattes?? lol

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-56...age-rivals.html

A young woman died from a bullet through the forehead after walking into the crossfire of two teenagers "hellbent on killing each other".

Care worker Magda Pniewska was on a mobile phone to her sister in Poland, who heard the gunshots and her sister's dying breath.

The two 17- year-olds, feuding over money, were engaged in a gun battle "reminiscent of the Wild West" on a housing estate in South-East London, the Old Bailey heard.

Miss Pniewska, 26, had just left work at a nursing home in New Cross and was walking back to the flat she shared with her boyfriend.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2008/jul/03/knifecrime.ukcrime1

Two French exchange students found dead after a fire in south-east London were the victims of a ''frenzied, horrible and horrific attack'' having been bound and stabbed repeatedly in the head, neck and torso before the house was set alight.

Nice area.

OMG Crime Happens In London SHOCKAH.

The funny thing about Brockley is the way that, for all there's obviously some overlap between the dodgier neighbouring areas and the bits that actually have trees, there's still a surprising sense of "never the twain shall meet" compared with other parts of S/SE London. You can quite happily go about your business in suburban bliss, get on the train to work, idly note that it's chugging past where those French students got stabbed, and get on with your life. Then again, the ostrich policy is often the only way to withstand any of the reality checks you get in the big bad city in the first place.

Mini-anecdotal, while I'm here: the 'for sale' sign for the top-floor flat next door has finally disappeared after about eight months. Started at 239k, gradually edged down to 224k and is now nowhere to be seen on Reside's website. I'm going to stick my neck out and guess that there hasn't been an unexpected sale to a privacy-loving new occupant.

Meanwhile, our downstairs garden-flat neighbours came up on Saturday to complain once again about the unreasonable noise of us walking around the flat and flushing the toilet - you can tell Brockley is middle-class nowadays - and the nice lady accidentally let slip that their purchase from their long-time landlady is on the verge of falling through. Well, she phrased it as "we're having second thoughts because of all the noise", but that didn't seem to be stopping them three or four months ago. Shame really - I couldn't imagine a nicer couple to be saddled with negative equity for a good stretch of their working lives...

I agree some of the stuff about the ELL has now been cleared up (to be fair, that comment was posted back in February!), and also that it will be useful to have a transport link across east London, however I still believe that it’s going to be an infrequent service and won’t be the bonus that some think. For the most part, they are using existing overland track and so will have to co-ordinate with the services already in place, so it’s not going to be a 4-min to the next train comes sort of job. I also believe there’s an ongoing debate about whether it will actually be included on the tube map.

Property prices shot up when the line was announced a couple of years ago, and I don’t think it will save Brockley prices from decreasing like the rest of London. At least I hope not, as I fully intend to buy a house there when I’m able.

I've been watching Brockley through Property-Bee with great interest: absolutely nothing is shifting, and if it shows up as 'under offer', it invariable reappears on the market a few days later with another 5% lopped off.

They are also having real problems shifting the Tea Factory apartments - I believe the current tally is just over 50% sold, and the rest put out to let by the developer.

I guess we'll have to wait & see what the next 12 month unfolds.

• 10 months later...

A young woman died from a bullet through the forehead after walking into the crossfire of two teenagers "hellbent on killing each other".

Care worker Magda Pniewska was on a mobile phone to her sister in Poland, who heard the gunshots and her sister's dying breath.

The two 17- year-olds, feuding over money, were engaged in a gun battle "reminiscent of the Wild West" on a housing estate in South-East London, the Old Bailey heard.

Miss Pniewska, 26, had just left work at a nursing home in New Cross and was walking back to the flat she shared with her boyfriend.

Two French exchange students found dead after a fire in south-east London were the victims of a ''frenzied, horrible and horrific attack'' having been bound and stabbed repeatedly in the head, neck and torso before the house was set alight.

Nice area.

Nice area.

Just to say i live in newcross bought around 4 years ago.

The first incident happened on my doorstep :)

but you will find stories like those no matter where you live in London.

There are Drugs and prostitutes operating in chelsea

Just to say i live in newcross bought around 4 years ago.

The first incident happened on my doorstep :)

but you will find stories like those no matter where you live in London.

Don't understand why Deborah reposted someone else's post from 10 months ago without adding any comment.

What's the point?

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

"Hello darlin'. I'm Shanice and this is Dr Mushroom. Have a go on my minge while we take your appendix out."

"Hello darlin'. I'm Shanice and this is Dr Mushroom. Have a go on my minge while we take your appendix out."

ROFL!

And anyway, the rest of you, stop being middle-class whankas and come and live in Catford. We've got a Wetherspoons and a Goose. And an Aldi and a Lidl. All any sensible person could ever need, in fact.

Edited by Rave

I have lived in Catford, Hither Green, Lewisham, Ladywell, Brockley, and Blackheath.

All the proper crime I have experienced came from career criminals who were mobile in cars. You can't hide from them anywhere within the M25. What you can escape from is the anti-social behaviour - just avoid the routes between social housing and the town centres. Avoid those places and you avoid the petty criminals and mindless violence. If you live at the top of one of the hills you'll find the yobs can't be bothered to walk up to the top.

Brockley, Ladywell, Hither Green, New Cross are melting pots where there is a lot going on. If you go further out it is suddenly very quiet and residential. Go any further in to London and the amount of social housing rises very quickly.

One place I was always surprised about was Blythe Hill Fields - a pleasant residential area with parks, and surprisingly cheap.

My view is that the best place in the area is Hilly Fields. You get a choice of trains to Canary Wharf (DLR), Waterloo (Ladywell), Blackfriars (Crofton Park), Victoria (Lewisham), Cannon St (Ladywell). It is quiet and leafy, with good views over London. You can get to both Brockley and Lewisham in a short walk.