House Price Crash Forum

Propertynews Running Total

HOLA441
EDIT: Also, regarding cheaper rent vs high prices in the UK, this is only due to the velocity in which the house prices have risen over here. They are way out of whack now and unless we're going to get huge wage inflation, people aren't going to be able to afford large rents. Rental prices have to represent a reasonable proportion of earnings

Rent IMO will not increase [considerably] in NI until later part of 2009 or early 2010. The average salary in Dublin is €36k or £24k so it’s near enough to NI. Like America, government services have to be paid for e.g. Doctors and Hospital visits, Waste Disposal, soon water...

I have a short-let corporate in Dublin - its 700 square feet and €1400 p.c.m. A nephew of mine and his girlfriend are renting in the city too. It's a house conversion into three one b/room apartments. Absolute sh1thole with one heater in the 650 sq feet space. Dreadful insulation and a polish couple playing music and arguing all night above - rent €950 p.c.m. Both frustrated artists - he works in a stated owned art gallery - fulltime, and she in a herbal shop, so not trail blazing on salaries. But people need a place to live and you'll continue to eat bread regardless of the price of wheat etc, but will have to forgo other luxuries. In my nephews case, eating sandwiches, watching TV and sleeping - that's about the quality of their modern life. Btw - sensibly they are moving to heroin chic Berlin with all the old Bowie heads still there from the 1970's

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Interesting that you arrived, MD literally as trust me i'm an ea left.

Rents will not be going up here as people can only pay what they can afford. Coupled with a rise in the cost of living and an increasing rental supply, rents will remain static or fall. One of the posters here just negotiated a 10% reduction in rent!

Rental supply will increase as failed sellers put their property up for rent as happened a year ago in the ROI as the Spring selling season failed

http://daftwatch.atspace.com/

Look at Daft lettings this week - 667 reductions!

http://www.treesdontgrowtothesky.com/DaftL...gs/08.03.08.php

Edited by Vespasian

HOLA443
HOLA444
Rent IMO will not increase [considerably] in NI until later part of 2009 or early 2010. The average salary in Dublin is €36k or £24k so it’s near enough to NI. Like America, government services have to be paid for e.g. Doctors and Hospital visits, Waste Disposal, soon water...

Actually I believe that the average salary for the Republic is €36K so in Dublin it is likely to be higher.

Also, yes, they may pay for doctors, bins etc but they don't pay rates so that offsets it somewhat. Also most people have fairly cheap health insurance. Say for example €300 p.a. for bins and €1200 p.a. for health insurance for an average couple/family - not comparable to America where medical costs are enormous and they don't even have a welfare state! I do accept though that general cost of living in ROI is higher (food, drink etc).

HOLA445

Actually I believe that the average salary for the Republic is €36K so in Dublin it is likely to be higher.

Also, yes, they may pay for doctors, bins etc but they don't pay rates so that offsets it somewhat. How much do you pay in rates? I don't even know what the rates bill is for my place as it's included in the rent. :)

In the Republic most people have fairly cheap health insurance and the binmen don't charge too much. Say for example €300 p.a. for bins and €1200 p.a. for health insurance for an average couple/family - about €1500 a year, not comparable to America where medical costs are enormous and they don't even have a welfare state! I do accept though that general cost of living in ROI is higher (food, drink etc).

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449

Thats 50/day

You know, I was happy to watch and will the running total higher as it "gave birth" to 20000 :wub: . I watched as it rose slowly and surely to hit the 25000 barrier :wacko: . Has it got it in itself to 30000?

I just don't know, how many houses do we need to be for sale? :rolleyes:;)

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
I think we are looking at a spring rush rather than a spring bounce.

25510 :D

you have to wonder about this figure as I have seen more and more properties in my area with more than one estate agent's sign outside.

This would not have happened last year as it is a sure sign of desperation so we have to assume that the increase is not just down to the number of properties for sale but the increasing number that are using two plus estate agents.

sorry if I am pointing out the obvious but I have a bad cold and am feeling a bit slow today.

Edited by archy

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Can someone do me a favour please. This house

http://www.propertynews.com/brochure.php?r...amp;p=PNC340303

was sold just before christmas and is now being flipped but I can't remember how much it was originally on for and don't know how to access, if is possible, previous listings.

I did have it saved but it has been deleted.

It would be much appreciated.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I had a good look HM, but just can't find anything relating to the previous price.

Thanks for trying Db and pod, I've a funny feeling it was on for £245k. In fairness the flipper has done a great deal of work which I estimate may have cost him approx £5-6k.

I imagine he probably paid short of the asking price so he is looking a hefty handshake. I will watch with interest.

Edited by headmelter

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
HOLA4420
HOLA4421
Nice one pod. Looks like he might have MEW'ed in the meantime too and bought a "you know what" extension (allegedly!) - judging from the first picture on the propertynews link above. :lol:

I think he already had the 'extension'. I walk past this house regularly and the car was there when it was purchased and being tarted up. Maybe a BTL millionaire. ;)

I had been interested, but prices seemed a little inflated last year. ;)

I will keep a tight eye on this to see how it goes.

HOLA4422
Nice house. Unfortunately if it were in Belfast it would cost alot more.

It is 16 miles or 20 minutes from Belfast. When meeting people in the town I often get to the bar before the ones who live in Belfast.

I can put up with living outside the metropolis, there are many advantages.

HOLA4423
It is 16 miles or 20 minutes from Belfast. When meeting people in the town I often get to the bar before the ones who live in Belfast.

I can put up with living outside the metropolis, there are many advantages.

Wow - that puts things in a different perspective. I had no idea how near/far it was from Belfast - I assumed it would have been a far longer commute than that.

Cosidering on a bad day it takes me 45 mins to travel 3 miles on the bus because of Belfast traffic on the way home, living in Antrim seems like a more attractive proposition now!

HOLA4424
Wow - that puts things in a different perspective. I had no idea how near/far it was from Belfast - I assumed it would have been a far longer commute than that.

Cosidering on a bad day it takes me 45 mins to travel 3 miles on the bus because of Belfast traffic on the way home, living in Antrim seems like a more attractive proposition now!

Not so good if you work 9-5 in Belfast though (I don't) because of the work on the M2 it can take up to an hour to get into the town.

Plus side is the work won't go on forever. :rolleyes:

HOLA4425