House Price Crash Forum

This question is highly personal and possibly intrusive I know, if it's a problem for you I'd suggest not answering. The reason I'm interested is that as a mortgage-broker I feel obliged to declare how I earn my crust in this type of forum, I think the same would go for an EA.

I've noticed a lot of blanket criticism of, in particular, EAs. Dismissed as gel-haired wearers of cheap suits and spivs, I've often wondered what those who criticise do that is some damn worthy. Also I'd be interested in what people's perception is when it comes to the security of their job in the coming recession and indeed if they are thinking of re-training or moving to a different sector.

mods - this is probably off-topic and possibly inapropriate please move if necessary.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm reminded of an old joke: One woman says to her colleague, "Why do people always hate me when I say I'm a lawyer?" The other woman replies, "It just saves time."

If you're not embarrassed by what you do, then it doesn't matter, does it? I imagine that the sort of people who invite you to dinner parties probably already know, or have met you somehow through work, so there's no problem.

That said, stereotypes sometimes (often?) have a basis in fact. I have met more than a few EAs who conform to stereotype, particularly w.r.t. hair and suits, but also plenty who don't. To the best of my knowledge I've never met a mortgage broker.

As for recession-proof jobs, mine isn't. I'm in publishing, though I've been running my own business for years so I think I have the skills to muddle through for a couple of years.

Some years ago the US Chief Justice Warren Burger was asked by a member of the public why lawyers were so corrupt in the United States. Warren said that America has the exact kind of lawyers that the people have decided they want.

In the greed-driven miracle economy count it as no surprise that you will get the kind of people in businesses that will cater to what the people want.

The sheeple wanted a miracle--or a something for nothing economy--and Gordon delivered. The only problem is that if you want the wrong kinds of things you end up the worse for it.

I work for a Fund Management firm. I too thought I'd ask what everyone did, and I was vilified!

"You're a VI, f@ck off"

"I hope you loose your job"

"You and your sort are to blame for this"

etc

etc

You would have thought I had raped their mothers whilst finishing off my latest quant excel sheet specifically targeted to short their employer and make them redundant out of spite. I didn't realise students were so mad at me!

As for a recession, who knows. I survived the last one, and thats all I have to go on. I have skills outside of buy and sellside finance. I expect our really clever chaps can make money in such an environment. That's bound to attract "not in a meltdown" comments, but really, if thats the case there will be other things to worry about. Hell I can even still code - will code for foo!

This question is highly personal and possibly intrusive I know, if it's a problem for you I'd suggest not answering. The reason I'm interested is that as a mortgage-broker I feel obliged to declare how I earn my crust in this type of forum, I think the same would go for an EA.

I've noticed a lot of blanket criticism of, in particular, EAs. Dismissed as gel-haired wearers of cheap suits and spivs, I've often wondered what those who criticise do that is some damn worthy. Also I'd be interested in what people's perception is when it comes to the security of their job in the coming recession and indeed if they are thinking of re-training or moving to a different sector.

mods - this is probably off-topic and possibly inapropriate please move if necessary.

I am in fear for my job at a level of 20-30%. I can't really say what i do but it is "rocket-science".

I have no debts, own my home outright and have some savings and some gold. Hopefully this would tide me through a few years

Self Employed Software testing consultant in the Financial Services "arena" (mortgage, Life, Pensions and Fund Management) with 26 years of experience. PM me if you want to offer me a contract, although I am in one right now. :)

I don't hate EAs, but do think that as with the 80s, their current image epitomises the bubble. Also, they are now the crasher's friend, so we should be nice to them

I recall a "lifeboat" debate on R5 a while back where they had an EA, an MP and someone else (might have been a solicitor but can't remember). The MP was first out and I think the EA narrowly won.

Well said. Who sacks their EA for getting the best possible price for their main asset? EAs are scapegoats in this. Sure there are the silly 20 somethings who have never been through a recession - they're about to, and that will the making of them if they stay in the EA game.

If you think it's easy, then go ahead and DIY. Personally, in this market a good EA is worth the fee!

The Villain was Greenspan and his era of very cheap credit, the banks duly obliged and gave it to anyone who asked or responded to their DM/TV/ direct sales campaigns.

Inside track et al are also up for the noose!

A mortgage-broker with time on his hands :P

I don't have a problem with how people make a living as long as it's legal, honest and ethical.

So when my mortgage advisor tried to convince me some years back that an endowment mortgage would be cheaper than a repayment mortgage and scribbled out the maths I asked if I could study their calculations at my leisure when I got home. We all know that said mortgage advisor would not allow this.

Any commission based job in my opinion is subject to possible misselling.

The EA will take the brunt of it here.

To answer the OP... I have a graphics-based job in academic publishing. The pay is crap but the job is reasonably secure and even if I lost my job I wouldn't mind as the payout I'd get would leave me with savings in excess of the sum I'm currently building-up so that I can take a two year sabatical during which I intend to become self-employed, so I'm in a win-win situation.

For the record, I'm not a criticiser of financial professionals, EAs, etc. Like any group of people identifiable by profession, or any other criteria for that matter, some are good and some are bad. I take people as I find them rather than tarring all of them with the same brush. Naturally EAs, etc. want to do the best job for their client and hopefully profit a bit from it too - there will always be someone somewhere in the equation who has a problem with that.

Contract, technical - not related in any way to either property, finance or investment.

Cash savings have put me in a position where, in principle, I could buy since 2003... but I've not been able to find the right deal for me at the right price.

I probably need to think rather carefully about where I want to live... which is one of my stumbling blocks.

I particularly like the informed opinions of EAs, mortgage brokers etc. when they post... assuming their perspective is clear, and they justify their opinion.

Chartered Financial Planner - not embarrassed at all as I've given impartial advice for years. Always based on what would I do, were I in their position and based on what I know.

Never sell product just a service.

Very secure 'cos my clients appreciate what I do and pay me to do it. In fact, I'll take on a lot of new clients going forward as my views are well known (not from media spots!).

If anyone has earned their crust by giving advice they wouldn't have given to their mum them a) shame on them and b ) serves them right if they are laid off. They benefited from the 'good times' (for some) and will lose in the bad times - as many others will primarily due to the original bad advice (and their own greed).

I have zero sympathy for EAs, bank staff, mortgage brokers et al who lived handsomely off people's ignorance and who will crash and burn. Saw my first EA office shut down last week (Hoddedon Herts).

In the year 2001 I started a degree through the open university, hopefully it will be finished this June. However, I started to notice the competition amongst degree holders had started to increase and wondered whether or not I would be able secure a job that warranted all the hard work I was doing. As I had already started the degree I was determined to finish it but I did start looking at other options available to me. And took a radical change in direction. My dad owns a farm which he no longer farms himself, so I made use of it and started to build up a herd in 2005, with the sole intention of being able to sell Aberdeen Angus meat boxes over the internet in 2008/2009 using my own stock, at the same time myself and my other half started a business related to the agriculture sector which is doing rather nicely.

Looking at the way things are going, I really can't see my degree is going to be alot of use to me, but it was more of a personal attainment rather than anything else. With the farming and the other agricultural business I am hoping it will see us through any recession. As for criticism regarding EA's and their associates linked to thier sector, I think if they can't handle it, steer clear from websites like this! Hell I wouldn't and 'big up' my business on a forum dedicated to the promotion of vegitarians! :blink: Any occupation is going to get criticism if there are individuals who don't believe what is being portrayed.

Not so long ago farming used to be a 'dirty word' I had to live through that, although I think recently sentiment has changed more favourably towards farmers than it was 10 or so years ago. EA's and the like may find themselves having to go through a period like this too, if they aren't already!

With the farming and the other agricultural business I am hoping it will see us through any recession.

Anything to do with agriculture has a fabulous future for the next 20 years. Enjoy the prosperity.

You asked the question so I'll answer it, not that it's particuarly interesting or relevant.

I work in IT, web based mainly but that's not really what I do as it's more based on data than the front end side. Most of our business is in the new and used car market which is pretty good at the moment. I get paid very well considering the amount of work I actually do.

In terms of job security, wouldn't say it was particuarly recession proof but when I look around at the 15 other people in the office I'd say I'm way down the list of people who would be first out the door come the hard times. As it happens we are recruiting, we have plenty of work and looks like we will for the longer term.

Reality is that some proportion of the population will hate you whatever you do for a living (with the possible exception of nurses and firemen who appear to be beyond reproach for some reason). So long as what you do is legal and you behave morally when you do it, you should just ignore them. I dislike mortgage brokers who sell people products based on what's best for the broker, not the customer but have nothing at all against those who do the opposite and make a living at the same time. The same goes for IFAs - I distrust the commission based ones completely (having been shafted by one a long time back myself and having seen many others similarly ripped off) but have a lot of time for competent direct fee charging ones who know their business well. When it comes to EAs, as for all sales-based professions, there's good ones and bad ones. For some reasons, the bad ones often seem to wear cheap suits and use too much hair-gel....no idea why that should be.

To answer your overall question, I work in software. My job security is reasonable, but if I were made redundant tomorrow, I'm happy that I have enough skills to get myself something that would happily support my lifestyle (which is well within my earnings) or be able to go it alone.

To answer your implied query about people disliking EAs, there's a relatively simple way of measuring how likely a job is to be respected or despised. People who work in direct production of value, be that physical or in terms of services, will generally be respected even if the work is low paying. People who act as middle-men or "skimmers" will generally be despised based on the perception of the actual added value they bring to a transaction. So, if an EA is professional, courteous and actually works for the client, they might be grudgingly respected, but in the recent bull market most people have experiences lazy, incompetent tossers who barely lift a finger for their money.

Basically, if your job title includes the word "agent" or "broker", you're starting out needing to prove that you're not just a leech.

Basically, if your job title includes the word "agent" or "broker", you're starting out needing to prove that you're not just a leech.

Special Agent Johnston, FBI. Would you mind stepping this way please, sir?

For the life of me I cannot understand why estate agents exist at all. Why have the free internet property listing sites* not marginalised them? Just because a house is more expensive than a car, for example, it isn't necessarily harder to sell. I don’t have anything against estate agents, or any other sales people, and the hair/suits remark doesn’t resonate with me at all. It’s just that I don’t see why they are needed.

* http://www.private-house-sales.info/summary/1/cost/asc

People who work in direct production of value, be that physical or in terms of services, will generally be respected even if the work is low paying. People who act as middle-men or "skimmers" will generally be despised based on the perception of the actual added value they bring to a transaction.

That's very much how I'd have phrased it too. As a translator (finance/business, German-English), I'm in the interesting position of being a "middleman" who does add some kind of value, but a good amount of my workload is stuff that's required to be translated into English under German law whether the company in question wants to shell out for it or not, so there's still an element of the grudge factor involved. Should make the industry relatively recession-proof, though, at least at this end of the market - a company has to report bad news as well as good, up to the point where they go bust, obviously!

As for EAs and similar professions, ask again in five years, I guess - those who are still doing the job then and (by association) doing it pretty well should probably get a bit more respect than they do right now. Or maybe they'll just bear the brunt of Joe Public's frustration at the "correction"...

Guest An Bearin Bui
For the life of me I cannot understand why estate agents exist at all. Why have the free internet property listing sites* not marginalised them? Just because a house is more expensive than a car, for example, it isn't necessarily harder to sell. I don’t have anything against estate agents, or any other sales people, and the hair/suits remark doesn’t resonate with me at all. It’s just that I don’t see why they are needed.

* http://www.private-house-sales.info/summary/1/cost/asc

Exactly - I just don't see the need for estate agents to exist. If I'm making a life-critical purchase worth hundreds of thousands of pounds, why would it help to have input from someone who has a vested interest in making me sign a cheque so they can make commission? Online property advertising is the way to go. Estate agents and mortgage brokers are just middle-men who add costs to a transaction and are currently making a very good living out of it, better than many lecturers, researchers, scientists and engineers whose jobs involve real expertise and skill and add productive value to the economy.

P.S. Should disclose that I work in research commercialisation at a university medical school(!)

Edited by An Bearin Bui

Proj Manager Heavy Industry Building Power Generating Sets. Lots of work in the oil and gas industry which looks likely to continue for the next 10 years and they can't outsource these jobs to foreign lands as the time to get them up and running would be too long.