House Price Crash Forum

At that sort of price you will need to be looking at the nice bits of Stockport - Marple, Hazel Grove, Romiley etc. Good schools and local centres. Prices currently running at around £180k-£200k for a 3-bed semi so there is a chance of falls to your level.

Thanks although I have other more immediate issues on the main forum at the moment.

Although interestingly some friends have just bought :rolleyes: a 2 bed terrace for £250K in Wimslow... What can you say other than best of luck to you?

Edited by daiking
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3689815.ece
John Donohue, a Manchester-based entrepreneur, first thought of selling his Georgian-style house in Altrincham last June. The market was rising and his neighbour had just sold his equally large home for £1.96m.
He put his six-bedroom house on the market for slightly less, £1.95m. It is still on the books of Jackson-Stops & Staff, his agents. It has attracted three viewings in nine months and has seen its price slashed to £1.85m, and last month to £1.725m.
“The market just seems to get worse,” he lamented. “When I first contacted an agent he said he could sell 10 of them on the estate, they were that easy to sell. Everything seemed to conspire against us. The credit crunch and financial wobbles seem to be affecting the higher end of the market as much as anywhere.”

Looks like this one here:-

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-166...=1&tr_t=buy

New build (well last couple of years). It's not in a good position at this sort of price level. Looks like the top end has been in trouble for the last 6-9 months already. 28 The Oranges Bradgate road sold Aug '05 for £1,450,000 and in Oct '06 sold again for £1,965,000! This is the house he has "benchmarked" his against by the looks of it. Looks like we're back to nearer '05 levels already - but it's hard to tell with these luxury new builds.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...0&curPage=1

If you're right on the identification, JD's is Maple House on Bradgate Road. Also listed with John N Hilditch & Co.

Last sold for £1,315,000 on 30/11/2005 (tenure L/H) according to houseprices.co.uk

Guest theboltonfury
I agree totally mitch, £290k is at least £90k more than anyone should have paid for that. It's in Handforth Dean, end of. I used to rent a place there 5 years ago and we'd say it was Wilmslow but never believed it ourselves - very close to one of the roughest council estates in the north west.

I live in actual Wilmslow now, rent a place for far less than an interest only mortgage would be. Alas I feel that this area may largely immune to HPC which sucks, we've got a kid on the way and I would like to live in our own home, but whilst it's so much cheaper to rent and prices aren't going up then I don't feel it's justified.

I lived in Wilmslow on Summerfields, now I rent in Ashley. It's f***ing lovely

The house prices on the Summerfields are coming down now, but I will admit there is more denial than most in Willmers. People think that they have bought themselves a bit of heaven, when in reality it's 3 miles from Wythensahwe and someone was murdered there on the street last year.

Surely Kerry Katona's arrival has taken 50% off house prices?

Guest theboltonfury
I disagree. In an upmarket everything sells at a higher price. In a downmarket there is a 'flight to quality' - people want to live in these areas and their prices hold up better. Witness last time - in London Kensington and Chelsea finished 60% up at its lowest. In that downmarket quality and desirable still sells, the crap does not (or does not unless the price falls enough to make it desirable).

Would you rather have a 4 bed house in Winsford or Bowdon ? Which would you pay more for ?

Genuinely, you believe that the falls will be bigger and that places where people want to live will be more than in places where people are forced to live (because they can't afford the nice places).

Do you aspire to owning a large house in Cheshire or Surrey in a good area perhaps ?

bad logic I think. This time more people have been allowed access to the money, and those people can't really afford it. They will be hit hardest when it crashed IMO

Guest theboltonfury
Spot on.

Yes you're right - The American Bar is where the small dick big car brigade pick up their hangers on I believe....in fact I have heard that you have to give your daily rate on the door before they let you in so the girls know who they need to take home....I can't recall if that includes your tax deduction expenses or whether you are congestion charge exempt but I can ask around....

Personally, I prefer the Stamford for a pint and to watch the footie. Strangely they've never asked me my bank balance in there. Bizarre. ;)

Without doubt the best place to buy after the down-turn will be Bowdon, Hale or Alderley Edge in due course. It doesn't really matter whether that is a terrace, semi, flat or mansion. For the forseeable future renting there is a no-brainer.

I spent nearly an hour in Costa Coffee in Hale yesterday, then I got served.

I spent nearly an hour in Costa Coffee in Hale yesterday, then I got served.

I had the misfortune to go into a Starbucks once. I felt rather out of place being neither a yummy mummy nor a student. Once was enough. :P

I had the misfortune to go into a Starbucks once. I felt rather out of place being neither a yummy mummy nor a student. Once was enough. :P

Students in Starbucks? Jeezus, no wonder they leave uni. these days with such huge debts. When I was at Manchester Uni. we'd all chip in for a jar of instant - and it would have to last us weeks. I don't know, students today don't know they're born...

Nomadd (Grumpy old man? :))

bad logic I think. This time more people have been allowed access to the money, and those people can't really afford it. They will be hit hardest when it crashed IMO
And who do you think borrowed most relative to their income. Mr and Mrs Cheshire Tarquin or Dave and Kelly from Tonge Moor. You are right, this time, prices have rocketed EVERYWHERE - and they've gone up most at the bottom/middle of the market. I am picking on Bolton because it seems you know it and I do, but a terrace in Heaton was £40K in 1998, now it's £150K. Wages, as you know, are a pittance - so how's it been paid for ? And those new cars everywhere ? The people who can afford it least are not the ones with the big houses, it's the bloke at the bottom and middle - the ones who have been paying £300K plus to live on Ladybridge - but are on normal wages. It's far worse there.
Guest theboltonfury
And who do you think borrowed most relative to their income. Mr and Mrs Cheshire Tarquin or Dave and Kelly from Tonge Moor. You are right, this time, prices have rocketed EVERYWHERE - and they've gone up most at the bottom/middle of the market. I am picking on Bolton because it seems you know it and I do, but a terrace in Heaton was £40K in 1998, now it's £150K. Wages, as you know, are a pittance - so how's it been paid for ? And those new cars everywhere ? The people who can afford it least are not the ones with the big houses, it's the bloke at the bottom and middle - the ones who have been paying £300K plus to live on Ladybridge - but are on normal wages. It's far worse there.

i see your point, but I am coming from the angle that the 'keeping up with the Jone's' mentality is making some people stretch unbelievably to live in Hale, Wilmslow etc. In these areas, yes there are some tarquins etc but there are a mass of nouveau types who may appear rich but are drowning in debt due to their desire to have a SK9 postcode etc

I lived in Bolton for 4 years, and you're right. It's rocketed up, but I know for a fact it's coming back down now

i see your point, but I am coming from the angle that the 'keeping up with the Jone's' mentality is making some people stretch unbelievably to live in Hale, Wilmslow etc. In these areas, yes there are some tarquins etc but there are a mass of nouveau types who may appear rich but are drowning in debt due to their desire to have a SK9 postcode etc

Couldn't agree more. In fact, this thread got quite heated at one stage over the same issue. I can't understand why some people think that just because someone lives in Hale/Bowden/etc they suddenly have an exceptional ability to pay. Truth is, the old folks who bought years ago are probably OK, but anyone who's done the "keeping up appearances" buy of the last 5 years (at least) is probably in for a bit of a rude awakening. And the amount of property I'm seeing in the £500k+ bracket sticking for more than a year seems to be supporting that fact; this stuff wasn't selling before the credit crunch, so now it has no chance.

My Bro-in-law's younger brothers - two of - are both struggling big time at the moment due to overreaching themselves on purchases in Hale. And they just can't get shut of the places. The Bank of Mum and Dad came to the rescue last year, but their problems continue, and the Bank of Mum and Dad has run dry now. Sad, really, but totally expected.

Nomadd

Guest theboltonfury
Couldn't agree more. In fact, this thread got quite heated at one stage over the same issue. I can't understand why some people think that just because someone lives in Hale/Bowden/etc they suddenly have an exceptional ability to pay. Truth is, the old folks who bought years ago are probably OK, but anyone who's done the "keeping up appearances" buy of the last 5 years (at least) is probably in for a bit of a rude awakening. And the amount of property I'm seeing in the £500k+ bracket sticking for more than a year seems to be supporting that fact; this stuff wasn't selling before the credit crunch, so now it has no chance.

My Bro-in-law's younger brothers - two of - are both struggling big time at the moment due to overreaching themselves on purchases in Hale. And they just can't get shut of the places. The Bank of Mum and Dad came to the rescue last year, but their problems continue, and the Bank of Mum and Dad has run dry now. Sad, really, but totally expected.

Nomadd

The Somerfield estate is case in point (Wilmslow) - the housing is average at best, it's near to the a34, Handforth and a drive into town but people rushED to buy and so prices went up. I know for a fact they are on their way down now. Check out rightmove for Anson Road sk9. Been on for 15 months, only reduced by 15k and it's empty. No one wants it. It's ex Mod and at 210k for 2 beds an absolute rip off

Also the road in Wilmslow opposite the fire station, nr Felicinis. People have been moving there at 250k a pop for 2 beds, it's a joke. What I am saying is this. Anyone with any real money, buys a lovely big pad and don't give a toss because they're minted and can handle a 25% reduction as it's relative to them. On the other hand those that stretched themselves to 250k for the above examples, now own a property that the wealthy wouldn't take a dump in and the average Jow now no longer can afford.

result? A crash in the up market areas IMO

Gf's parents live in the middle of Bowdon. Nicer bit with all larger houses in their own grounds. All of their neighbours are in their late 40's and older. They have been there since before this started. Very few sales have actually taken place as prices have risen (certainly less than in the past). They all have Range Rovers, houses in France and tidy pensions. None has a mortgage. They have no problems at the moment and have cash stockpiled to profit from a downturn.

If I go the other side of the tram tracks near the park where everyone claims they live in Hale, but don't because it's still in Alty, they are the ones with problems - late 20's, 30's, they have sold frequently and for ever higher prices. They often also have Range Rovers and a foreign place. That's where your problem will be.

Edited by Rachman
Guest theboltonfury
Gf's parents live in the middle of Bowdon. All of their neighbours are in their late 40's and older. They have been there since before this started. Very few sales have actually taken place as prices have risen (certainly less than in the past). They all have Range Rovers, houses in France and tidy pensions. None has a mortgage.

If I go the other side of the tram tracks near the park where everyone claims they live in Hale, but don't because it's still in Alty, they are the ones with problems - late 20's, 30's, they have sold frequently and for ever higher prices. They often also have Range Rovers and a foreign place. That's where your problem will be.

yes we agree completely now. There's older money and nouveau mortaged money - the difference is huge. Hale is big place to those that live in Alti. Very astute. I live in Ashley - won't be able to buy there for some time yet.

Bide your time IMO. I like Hale a lot and the pinch is hitting home for some and we will soon see some good deals (2 years time I think). Will I still have a job though when I can buy, that's the question!?

yes we agree completely now. There's older money and nouveau mortaged money - the difference is huge. Hale is big place to those that live in Alti. Very astute. I live in Ashley - won't be able to buy there for some time yet.

Bide your time IMO. I like Hale a lot and the pinch is hitting home for some and we will soon see some good deals (2 years time I think). Will I still have a job though when I can buy, that's the question!?

It's the same as up Chorley New Road in Heaton and Lostock. There are lots of oldies who are sorted, then there are the 30s and 40s who have borrowed £300K and had £200K of equity . I know what the wages are, so how do they afford that and £60K of cars and Bolton school fees ? They are in trouble and a lot of it.

Guest theboltonfury
It's the same as up Chorley New Road in Heaton and Lostock. There are lots of oldies who are sorted, then there are the 30s and 40s who have borrowed £300K and had £200K of equity . I know what the wages are, so how do they afford that and £60K of cars and Bolton school fees ? They are in trouble and a lot of it.

because they just keep thinking it will be all ok and it will all go away. Only this time it's going to bite them

I lived on Sunninghill Park on St.Helens road. Loads of them up for sale now, all identikit New Builds - not a single one has moved. I could never really see all the fuss about Chorley New Road, but I do know a lot of people on my estate had desires to move there, which I guess illustrates what we are saying

because they just keep thinking it will be all ok and it will all go away. Only this time it's going to bite them

I lived on Sunninghill Park on St.Helens road. Loads of them up for sale now, all identikit New Builds - not a single one has moved. I could never really see all the fuss about Chorley New Road, but I do know a lot of people on my estate had desires to move there, which I guess illustrates what we are saying

It's the Mecca for the local population. It's like the Haj - a one way pilgirmage to BL6, if you know what I mean.

My dad went to Sunning Hill school my relatives lived on Adelaide Street and up Morris Green. (bit further down). Did the site not used to be a steelworks and skip place (next to what was Hulton Motors). That estate is better than further down near Chip Hill and Beaumont Chase (and cheaper), but I agree, they are all the same build, looks and construction - not enough parking, too many families on normal wages trying to look mass afflluent.

Gf's parents live in the middle of Bowdon. Nicer bit with all larger houses in their own grounds. All of their neighbours are in their late 40's and older. They have been there since before this started. Very few sales have actually taken place as prices have risen (certainly less than in the past). They all have Range Rovers, houses in France and tidy pensions. None has a mortgage. They have no problems at the moment and have cash stockpiled to profit from a downturn.

Agree mostly. It is a very mixed bag though. There are also plenty of developers and others who earn their living in rather speculative ways who will be affected if this turns into a deeper recession. Stuff that worked in a boom won't in a bust. There is a very wide range of prices too so I think it is difficult to know what will happen just yet. There are plenty of very poor value flat conversions unsold in the St. Margaret's Road area and some of the top end redevelopments are sitting empty too. Some of the terraced stuff around the railway line in Hale will suffer too. They did in the last recession and they're way over priced. Again, often with 2 new £30k+ cars outside on the road. These folks are definately overstretched. Quite amusing really. You would be wrong to assume that every Range Rover/Bentley etc you pass in Hale is paid for. I guarantee you that much of it is on the never never.

• 4 weeks later...
worthy of a bump
Rich newcomers who demolish older houses to rebuild large "footballer-style" homes are damaging a Cheshire village, residents say. Developers knock down traditional homes to build "monstrous" mansions for their affluent clients, including Premier League stars, campaigners claim. Residents of Alderley Edge plan to use 1972 laws to force a referendum. People in the village will be asked if they agree that the demolition of the homes is damaging the environment.

Macclesfield Borough Council said it followed all existing guidelines when considering planning applications.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7304283.stm

Their whining didn't stop Ronaldo sorting out his new place in Alderley Edge.

Neighbours' fury over Man United star Ronaldo's 'offensive and brutal' £4million mansion

I watched him on MTV Cribs, taking them around his old place, and it had a decent flat back garden where he would have a kick around with his friends. The camera even picked up on a cracked a small pane of glass which when asked about Ronaldo explained he'd damaged with his football and neglected to have repaired. This new place doesn't really have much of a back garden for the money, and set in to the sloping ridge of the edge.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night's Manchester Evening News caught my eye with a boxed sub-headline at the top:

"Why now is a great time to buy property"

(9 Page pull-out inside)

Inside the pull-out was a page about auctions, including one in Wilmslow and Prestbury.

That was what surprised me a little... seeing a property from the nicer side of Wilmslow heading in to the auction, although the guide prices still too high for me/ close-family.

Meller Braggins auction is on Friday 30th

at 3pm at the De Vere Daresbury Park,

Warrington, and expect to see the TV

cameras there.

I've scanned that article and uploaded it to webspace (if it's a bit too small to read you can save image, open with picture viewer, and zoom in a little)

In 2 sections because full page wouldn't fit in my scanner.

1st section

2nd section

• 4 weeks later...
QUOTE (friday @ Apr 12 2008, 07:54 AM)

If you're right on the identification, JD's is Maple House on Bradgate Road. Also listed with John N Hilditch & Co.

Last sold for £1,315,000 on 30/11/2005 (tenure L/H) according to houseprices.co.uk

Now on for £1.75 million. http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-181...=1&tr_t=buy

Don't know. There are about 6 houses on this little estate-let - more of a gated community, really. Squeezed on so tightly there's no room for them. Nice-looking, and doubtless well built, but one (nice old Victorian) house was knocked down to be replaced with six. So the agent who claimed he could sell ten on that estate all at once...???

Freddie Flintoff was supposed to be buying one of them.

Squeezed on so tightly there's no room for them. Nice-looking, and doubtless well built, but one (nice old Victorian) house was knocked down to be replaced with six.

And when you look what you can get for the same money in better areas, it's amazing anyone would ever buy one in the first place.

Nomadd

better areas,

Depends what you think a better area is. Down a long private road, it's as private as you could ask for - behind a gate too - if I wanted to live in Altrincham, that might well be a corner where I would look. I agree, it's a heck of a lot of money for a footballer's prize mansion - oops, it's footballers (and cricket players) who buy them. QED!