House Price Crash Forum

So Radbroke Hall or wherever are paying your 1 man business £675 a day, and now you are earning 3/4 times that in London?....that's feally funny.....

Er, no. How many places like Radbrook - for instance - do you think there are in the North West? Very, very few. And what sort of duration of contracts do they offer? Enough to keep you in business for 18 years? No way. If want consistently high earnings, that means a move to London, I'm afraid. And on a consistent basis, yes, you can earn 3/4 times as much here.

£800,000 in the bank and you still don't know your posterior from your elbow....Do you have your bank balance printed on a Tshirt for when you try and pick up women in the Knutsford Wine Bar? Or do you let your Range Rover Sport HSE do your talking for you?

(You can charge it to expenses like your little semi-detached London property).

...And the envy continues. I've never seen anyone get so worked up on an internet forum before. And all because a couple of guys who post earn more money than you. Like the other poster said: "time to get on your bike."

Still, your posts are a delight to read - please keep them coming. I really like you, you know. And I now feel it's my duty to help you through these slow, slow days in the Estate Agency office. :-)

EDIT: no, I would NEVER put a "Range Rover Sport HSE" through my company: that's incredibly TAX inefficient. Anyway, I drive a BMW. :-) Oh, and I DO have a company vehicle: a motorcycle. Free parking in Central London, TAX deductable, VAT refundable (as it's classed as a commercial vehicle) and no congestion charge. See, your starting to learn something now. :-)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd
  • Replies 508
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Er, no. How many places like Radbrook - for instance - do you think there are in the North West? Very, very few. And what sort of duration of contracts do they offer? Enough to keep you in business for 18 years? No way. If want consistently high earnings, that means a move to London, I'm afraid. And on a consistent basis, yes, you can earn 3/4 times as much here.

...And the envy continues. I've never seen anyone get so worked up on an internet forum before. And all because a couple of guys who post earn more money than you. Like the other poster said: "time to get on your bike."

Still, your posts are a delight to read - please keep them coming. I really like you, you know. And I now feel it's my duty to help you through these slow, slow days in the Estate Agency office. :-)

EDIT: no, I would NEVER put a "Range Rover Sport HSE" through my company: that's incredibly TAX inefficient. Anyway, I drive a BMW. :-) Oh, and I DO have a company vehicle: a motorcycle. Free parking in Central London, TAX deductable, VAT refundable (as it's classed as a commercial vehicle) and no congestion charge. See, your starting to learn something now. :-)

Nomadd

Oh I'm more laid back than you'd ever comprehend my friend.....Let's not forget I'm living where you are working your nuts off striving to live in 5 or so years time....but it really isn't my style to post my earnings on a net forum, nor what car I drive....btw, I knew it would be a BMW but I thought you might enjoy the opportunity of telling us that yourself.....you didn't disappoint.....if you would like some tips on how to manage your "wealth" more discretely let me know....i'll be happy to oblige, although I think it may take some effort in your particular case.....I sense a council house chip on each shoulder that you may find challenging to shake off....

btw, re-read the bit where I said I'm not an EA, you might save yourself from further public embarassment.

Do you have your bank balance printed on a Tshirt for when you try and pick up women in the Knutsford Wine Bar? Or do you let your Range Rover Sport HSE do your talking for you?

You probably want either The American Bar in Hale or what was Brasingamens if that's the kind of girls you are looking for...

- anyway, I think the point is that unless you had the money in the first place, if you want a large house in Hale Bowdon or the nicer bits of Cheshire, then you are probably going to have to move to London to earn it then move back.... and linking it to whether the prices will fall hugely - for the best streets and villages, no, not really - demand will be there and whilst plebs like us have to work to buy, lots of others (and particularly baby boomer early pensioners) don't and have the money and will to spend on a nice house. We will see some fallers from the overstretched who had to sell, but people will just not sell because they won't see the price as 'acceptable' and most are not forced sellers.

If you want real world numbers - I am 34, my then peers (corporate lawyers at a top firm in Manchester (the best payers in the main)) bought mostly in 2000 and paid about £80K-£100K for terraces in Altrincham (some bought flats in Didsbury too to stay with the herd... :) ) - today they are worth about £170K-£200K apparently. Those that married or bought with partner sold up and spent between £400K and £500K on a family house in about 2004/5/6 - they are typically married to another lawyer, a doctor or an accountant - they are making between £100K-£120K a year between them - BUT they can't really afford to have that big a mortgage if the wife wants to be a mother and drop the income level back to normal wages (by changing job or part timing), so they are stuck with £250-300K mortgages that are quite comfortable for them, but they are in normal family houses, not edifices to bling or country piles in Mere. Will they be able to step up to spend £1M plus - not until one of two things - either he makes equity partner (£150K upwards a year) OR their parents die. Until then, they can't really afford to move up because the risk is too big to lose what they DO have. And they will still be working hard until they are in their late 40's to pay off the debt they do have.

If, however, you moved to London in 2000 instead and chased the money in the same line of work, that £120K a year could and would be £250K-£300K a year joint income at the same point in life. So you sell your soul, you do the work and by the time you are late 30's, you have the money and your wife does not have to work anyway and you don't have to work that hard either - because you've got the £1M house paid for (because you did buy something which has appreciated and you've paid it off) and several hundred grand in the bank.

The gamble is obvious - that you can still have kids that late.

[i know this reads like "look at how the other half live" or "fantasist" - but it's not - it's a rational series of decisions.]

Edited by Rachman
You probably want either The American Bar in Hale or what was Brasingamens if that's the kind of girls you are looking for...

- anyway, I think the point is that unless you had the money in the first place, if you want a large house in Hale Bowdon or the nicer bits of Cheshire, then you are probably going to have to move to London to earn it then move back.... and linking it to whether the prices will fall hugely - for the best streets and villages, no, not really - demand will be there and whilst plebs like us have to work to buy, lots of others (and particularly baby boomer early pensioners) don't and have the money and will to spend on a nice house. We will see some fallers from the overstretched who had to sell, but people will just not sell because they won't see the price as 'acceptable' and most are not forced sellers.

If you want real world numbers - I am 34, my then peers (corporate lawyers at a top firm in Manchester (the best payers in the main)) bought mostly in 2000 and paid about £80K-£100K for terraces in Altrincham (some bought flats in Didsbury too to stay with the herd... :) ) - today they are worth about £170K-£200K apparently. Those that married or bought with partner sold up and spent between £400K and £500K on a family house in about 2004/5/6 - they are typically married to another lawyer, a doctor or an accountant - they are making between £100K-£120K a year between them - BUT they can't really afford to have that big a mortgage if the wife wants to be a mother and drop the income level back to normal wages (by changing job or part timing), so they are stuck with £250-300K mortgages that are quite comfortable for them, but they are in normal family houses, not edifices to bling or country piles in Mere. Will they be able to step up to spend £1M plus - not until one of two things - either he makes equity partner (£150K upwards a year) OR their parents die. Until then, they can't really afford to move up because the risk is too big to lose what they DO have.

Spot on.

Yes you're right - The American Bar is where the small dick big car brigade pick up their hangers on I believe....in fact I have heard that you have to give your daily rate on the door before they let you in so the girls know who they need to take home....I can't recall if that includes your tax deduction expenses or whether you are congestion charge exempt but I can ask around....

Personally, I prefer the Stamford for a pint and to watch the footie. Strangely they've never asked me my bank balance in there. Bizarre. ;)

Without doubt the best place to buy after the down-turn will be Bowdon, Hale or Alderley Edge in due course. It doesn't really matter whether that is a terrace, semi, flat or mansion. For the forseeable future renting there is a no-brainer.

re: "Oh I'm more laid back than you'd ever comprehend my friend.....Let's not forget I'm living where you are working your nuts off striving to live in 5 or so years time....but it really isn't my style to post my earnings on a net forum, nor what car I drive....btw, I knew it would be a BMW but I thought you might enjoy the opportunity of telling us that yourself.....you didn't disappoint.....if you would like some tips on how to manage your "wealth" more discretely let me know....i'll be happy to oblige, although I think it may take some effort in your particular case.....I sense a council house chip on each shoulder that you may find challenging to shake off...."

Oooh, such anger. And from someone soooo "laid back." And once again, you power to infer someone else's life is incredible - even if it's always wrong! :-) "Work my nuts off?" Nope, I worked pretty standard hours; never do overtime or weekends. And "btw, I knew it would be a BMW", was also brilliant, Mystic Meg would be proud. And why would I want "tips for managing" anything from you? You can't even control your temper during a bit of light-hearted banter. Silly boy.

Still, even though your full envy is still switched to ON, it's OK, I still love you. Once me and the other *sensible* posters have our houses in Bowden/Hale we'll be in need of a cleaner. The job's your's, my friend. Still, remember what you were told about supplying your own bike. :-)

And you are STILL having a slow day in the E.A. office, then. :-)

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd
re: "Oh I'm more laid back than you'd ever comprehend my friend.....Let's not forget I'm living where you are working your nuts off striving to live in 5 or so years time....but it really isn't my style to post my earnings on a net forum, nor what car I drive....btw, I knew it would be a BMW but I thought you might enjoy the opportunity of telling us that yourself.....you didn't disappoint.....if you would like some tips on how to manage your "wealth" more discretely let me know....i'll be happy to oblige, although I think it may take some effort in your particular case.....I sense a council house chip on each shoulder that you may find challenging to shake off....

btw, re-read the bit where I said I'm not an EA, you might save yourself from further public embarassment."

STILL a slow day in the E.A. office, then. :-)

Nomadd

Is calling someone an EA the ultimate insult to you? RK has made it pretty clear that he isn't an EA but you are persisting with this, presumably because you think you are being witty. You're not, you're being an @rse.

re: "Oh I'm more laid back than you'd ever comprehend my friend.....Let's not forget I'm living where you are working your nuts off striving to live in 5 or so years time....but it really isn't my style to post my earnings on a net forum, nor what car I drive....btw, I knew it would be a BMW but I thought you might enjoy the opportunity of telling us that yourself.....you didn't disappoint.....if you would like some tips on how to manage your "wealth" more discretely let me know....i'll be happy to oblige, although I think it may take some effort in your particular case.....I sense a council house chip on each shoulder that you may find challenging to shake off....

btw, re-read the bit where I said I'm not an EA, you might save yourself from further public embarassment."

STILL a slow day in the E.A. office, then. :-)

Nomadd

Shouldn't you be polishing your BMW or checking you bank balance or something rather than stumbling around on here looking for eastate agents? For information I sold on my consultancy a couple of years ago so every day is pleasingly slow.....Obviously it wasn't as important as your business and we didn't have Tshirts with our daily rates on....funnily enough I've never had a BMW either.....I prefer classic....

Shouldn't you be polishing your BMW or checking you bank balance or something rather than stumbling around on here looking for eastate agents? For information I sold on my consultancy a couple of years ago so every day is pleasingly slow.....Obviously it wasn't as important as your business and we didn't have Tshirts with our daily rates on....funnily enough I've never had a BMW either.....I prefer classic....

And the slow day at the E.A. office continues...

And the anger....

And the envy...

Still, the cleaning job's still on offer. :-)

Nomadd

EDIT: Clean my BMW? No, I have a man do that for me. You, in the future. :-) Prefer a classic? Are we talking about cars or wives? :-)

Edited by Nomadd

I think I need to make a conscious decision not be involved in this, because I'm being dragged down. However let me say this about how you are coming across here Nomadd:

"I earn £200k a year, got nearly a mil in the bank, drive a BMW. Most other people are poor and jealous of me (I'm in IT - how cool is that!!) blah blah f*cking blah."

People don't like it, not because they envy you, it's because you sound VERY TEDIOUS. Note I said you sound, I am only commenting about what you've said yourself - I'm not arrogant enough to assume that I can read your posts and deduce your entire personality from them. Maybe you're a really fun guy who's great to be around and only boasts in internet chat rooms.

You got that bit right. :-)

Nomadd

Oh sod it, no one's coming in to look at houses today anyway(d'oh)

So it's : "I earn £200k a year, got nearly a mil in the bank, drive a BMW. Most other people are poor and jealous of me (I'm in IT - how cool is that!!) blah blah f*cking blah. Oh yeah and I'm DEAD popular"

Oh sod it, no one's coming in to look at houses today anyway(d'oh)

So it's : "I earn £200k a year, got nearly a mil in the bank, drive a BMW. Most other people are poor and jealous of me (I'm in IT - how cool is that!!) blah blah f*cking blah. Oh yeah and I'm DEAD popular"

Hey! You're back! Great to see ya! :-)

And there was me thinking you'd gone... :-)

Nomadd

EDIT: Congat's on new £200k job, your lottery win, and the new BMW. Sorry about you being DEAD, though. :-(

Edited by Nomadd
And the slow day at the E.A. office continues...

And the anger....

And the envy...

Still, the cleaning job's still on offer. :-)

Nomadd

EDIT: Clean my BMW? No, I have a man do that for me. You, in the future. :-) Prefer a classic? Are we talking about cars or wives? :-)

Done the wife thing....it didn't agree with me....much like you.

I have far less important things to busy myself with that engage in tedious banter with your over-inflated ego. I have offered my humble opinion on the bits of Wilmslow/Hale that I am familiar with for the benefit of otherwise of anyone who is bothered to read what is written. I shan't respond to your infantile nonsense any longer. Good luck with your daily rate. I didn't realise people could earn so much money...I'm a bit over-awed by the whole experience to be honest. Ok, I'm guessing now....but an M3? or maybe a 740i? no no....530d....got to maximise those tax benefits haven't we.... ;)

Done the wife thing....it didn't agree with me....much like you.

I have far less important things to busy myself with that engage in tedious banter with your over-inflated ego. I have offered my humble opinion on the bits of Wilmslow/Hale that I am familiar with for the benefit of otherwise of anyone who is bothered to read what is written. I shan't respond to your infantile nonsense any longer. Good luck with your daily rate. I didn't realise people could earn so much money...I'm a bit over-awed by the whole experience to be honest. Ok, I'm guessing now....but an M3? or maybe a 740i? no no....530d....got to maximise those tax benefits haven't we.... ;)

Your wife didn't agree with you? God, I'm shocked. :-)

M3? No, not even close. My car's a "classic", you'd be so impressed. :-)

I wish you all the best with your "busy, and yet remarkably humble" life. :-)

Nomadd

Z1 or a 2002 tii.

Nah, to be honest it's a one-owner (i.e. me! :-)) 328i. It's 12 years old - and has just under 40k on the clock. Do the math and that's a little over 3k miles in a year! Nearly all my contracts have been in our around London for the past 18 years, so I've always been on a motorbike, so hardly use the car; hence not worth changing as it runs so well. Bike is also a "business expense", so it's been very effective to change every 2-3 years without really thinking about it. My comment about it being a "classic" was just a jokey reply to "Mr Red Chilli Korma's" comments a few posts back. He seemed hell bent on bursting an artery or two so I just tagged along with his posts. No harm done. :-)

Anyway, back on the subject of Wilmslow and the surrounding area...

I've mainly been concentrating my searches on Hale/Bowden, as that's the area I know best from my childhood. I've had a good scan through Wilmslow and Mere (and even Knutsford) on Rightmove today to do a price compare. Seems your money goes a lot further in those locations. You ever considered them instead (well, after a few years of price falls)?

Regards,

Nomadd

• 2 months later...
There is still a big development boom in knocking down older but mostly post-war houses in prime residential areas and replacing them with mock mansions yep. I'm familiar with some of the Prestbury develpments, but also Hale/Bowdon. I have been following these very closely in Bowdon in particular (because it is closest to me) for signs of a turn-down but so far no sign of trouble. In fact there have been 4 plots sold, sites boarded up and houses either demolished or in the process of within the last 2 months on just one road. All are 5/6 bed 1950/60s houses on maybe 1/3 acre plots advertised for around 950k/1.50m. All being replaced with 4 storey (inc gym/pool/media room basements etc) "mansions".

worthy of a bump

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/manchester/7304283.stm

Rich newcomers who demolish older houses to rebuild large "footballer-style" homes are damaging a Cheshire village, residents say. Developers knock down traditional homes to build "monstrous" mansions for their affluent clients, including Premier League stars, campaigners claim. Residents of Alderley Edge plan to use 1972 laws to force a referendum. People in the village will be asked if they agree that the demolition of the homes is damaging the environment.

Macclesfield Borough Council said it followed all existing guidelines when considering planning applications.

Yep, caught this on the BBC's NorthWest news when I was up in Manchester last week. TBH, the local council seem to be pretty happy with most of whats going up - and all credit to them. I didn't see one single property in the article that I'd consider 'offensive' to the eyes.

Still, I'm sure the credit crunch will put an end to most of this anyway. I'm still actively tracking the South Manachester area on Rightmove and the drops are now starting to get significant. I just can't believe how much stuff I'm seeing on the market for a year or more. It'll be interesting to see what a failed Spring Bounce does to confidence. :)

Nomadd

• 2 weeks later...

Keep an eye on these then out of interest.

They are all recent new/redevelopments and have gone on the market in the last few weeks. Prices look about £1million on the high side to me - It will be interesting to see how desperate the developers (or their banks) are to get their cash out or not.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-202...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-196...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-172...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-171...=3&tr_t=buy

They are all recent new/redevelopments and have gone on the market in the last few weeks. Prices look about £1million on the high side to me - It will be interesting to see how desperate the developers (or their banks) are to get their cash out or not.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-168...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-202...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-196...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-172...=2&tr_t=buy

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-171...=3&tr_t=buy

Quite interesting those, as I haven't looked at Bowden/Hale for a couple of weeks. TBH, I got sick to death of seeing the same houses every week for the last year or more. The one's you list above seem to be new stuff as you suggest. It'll be very interesting to see a) If they actually sell, B) What prices they manage to achieve. Especially as they seem to be at the more expensive end of the market, and nothing much below them seems to be selling.

Nomadd

Ps. Just had a quick flick on RightMove at Bowden. I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how much new stuff has come on the market in the last couple of weeks! Interesting times ahead indeed.

Quite interesting those, as I haven't looked at Bowden/Hale for a couple of weeks. TBH, I got sick to death of seeing the same houses every week for the last year or more. The one's you list above seem to be new stuff as you suggest. It'll be very interesting to see a) If they actually sell, B) What prices they manage to achieve. Especially as they seem to be at the more expensive end of the market, and nothing much below them seems to be selling.

Nomadd

Ps. Just had a quick flick on RightMove at Bowden. I'm absolutely gobsmacked at how much new stuff has come on the market in the last couple of weeks! Interesting times ahead indeed.

They're all newly up yep which is why I posted them. There are another 1/2 dozen similar (small local developers on knock-down plots) currently ranging from foundation to roof on stage which I imagine will be finished mid/late summer. In fact, amazingly there's a glut in that price bracket, so like you I shall be watching how they progress. My gut instinct (knowing the area very well) is that they are trying them at prices well over what they think they'll achieve, presumably to then heavily discount them. I know the plots have mostly sold for around £800k-£1200k (for .25/.35 acre) , so at £2500/2700k built there is a big element of profit on a 4/5000sqft house. They were all tired but very serviceable family sized 4/5 bed homes previously dating from 30s to 50s that have been bulldozed.

But it will be interesting to see if there is a problem with finance at that sort of level.

Prices look about £1million on the high side to me

Especially when you see the a house in the same area of the same spec. being sold due to a client pulling out: "re-modelled & re-styled solely for our client, whose circumstances have now changed and so reluctantly, the house is now for sale" As expected, it's about £1 million less. :) Link: http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-171...=3&tr_t=buy

And I'm sure they would accept offers way below asking.

Crazy days indeed. And sure to get crazier.

Nomadd

EDIT: In fact here's an even nicer house, same area, with a much larger, nicer garden. And it's even £240k less than the one I posted above (and open to offers): http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-202...=3&tr_t=buy :blink:

Edited by Nomadd

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/busi...icle3689815.ece

John Donohue, a Manchester-based entrepreneur, first thought of selling his Georgian-style house in Altrincham last June. The market was rising and his neighbour had just sold his equally large home for £1.96m.
He put his six-bedroom house on the market for slightly less, £1.95m. It is still on the books of Jackson-Stops & Staff, his agents. It has attracted three viewings in nine months and has seen its price slashed to £1.85m, and last month to £1.725m.
“The market just seems to get worse,” he lamented. “When I first contacted an agent he said he could sell 10 of them on the estate, they were that easy to sell. Everything seemed to conspire against us. The credit crunch and financial wobbles seem to be affecting the higher end of the market as much as anywhere.”

Looks like this one here:-

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-166...=1&tr_t=buy

New build (well last couple of years). It's not in a good position at this sort of price level. Looks like the top end has been in trouble for the last 6-9 months already. 28 The Oranges Bradgate road sold Aug '05 for £1,450,000 and in Oct '06 sold again for £1,965,000! This is the house he has "benchmarked" his against by the looks of it. Looks like we're back to nearer '05 levels already - but it's hard to tell with these luxury new builds.

http://www.nethouseprices.com/index.php?co...0&curPage=1

Edited by Red Kharma
Bringing things back on track, where do you suggest the best place to live (south of manchester) where you will be able to get a nice family house for £100K cash in 5 years time?

At that sort of price you will need to be looking at the nice bits of Stockport - Marple, Hazel Grove, Romiley etc. Good schools and local centres. Prices currently running at around £180k-£200k for a 3-bed semi so there is a chance of falls to your level.