House Price Crash Forum

My link

I was just walking across Christ's Piece and stopped to throw a banana skin in the bin, only to see the brochure of this one ripped up and in that bin. Own up, who was it?

Maybe someone with a double bed: "Bedroom 1 3.35m(11'0'') x 2.59m(8'6'')" not much room left for wardrobe etc. and that's biggest room! Three bedrooms my ****.

Is this seriously worth over a *quarter of a million pounds*?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe someone with a double bed: "Bedroom 1 3.35m(11'0'') x 2.59m(8'6'')" not much room left for wardrobe etc. and that's biggest room! Three bedrooms my ****.

Is this seriously worth over a *quarter of a million pounds*?

Only if you are a family of midgets.

IMHO we *seriously* need a return to Parker-Morris standards as a minimum criterion for planning permission to be granted for new build housing. Preferably combined with demolition of about 70% of the "shoe box sh!te" that has been thrown together in the last 20 years or so

Edited by SLL

I presume they must be in higher prices ranges, because while I've recently received my first two e-mails from RM since... err... I dunno, one of them was a relisting with a different agent and the other was a restaurant incorrectly entered as a studio!

I think everything is in the higher price range :-(

Hi All,

two things :

- The houses on the corner of long road and hills road. The EA's sign outside always said 3 houses, but now that they've started building the 3rd one then what a f*vk up. Crikey.

- what are they building a bit further down on Queen Edith's Way, i'm tempted to say "flats, dummy", but they've been at it a while and have only put in the groundworks and the basics of a steel frame yet.

Ski.

- The houses on the corner of long road and hills road. The EA's sign outside always said 3 houses, but now that they've started building the 3rd one then what a f*vk up.

Do you mean construction site management/traffic impact wise or do you have a house price point?!

Do you mean construction site management/traffic impact wise or do you have a house price point?!

No, how they've build two very large houses in such a small area of ground, then decided the shoe-horn a third one in between them.

Thats the social housing :lol:

In a way it is (in the broadest sense of it being the opposite of anti-social) as anything that takes the price pressure off family homes between Addenbrookes and the Station is fine by me!

The question in the meantime is, as the truth of the UK's problems outs and the puppet strings of the housing market marionette are cut away, how do I protect my deposit from Sterling's inevitable demise?!

I'm currently overseas and looking to move to Cambridge Sep 2010 and possibly buy new build or off plan before then. Do not see much, but Abbey Gardens seems OK on paper. have any members seen or know the area? Or have any better ideas for Cambridge or village.

Tks

I'm currently overseas and looking to move to Cambridge Sep 2010 and possibly buy new build or off plan before then. Do not see much, but Abbey Gardens seems OK on paper. have any members seen or know the area? Or have any better ideas for Cambridge or village.

Tks

"Orchard Park housing estate was to be 'aspirational'. Locals now call it 'Beirut'"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/global/2009/oct/11/orchard-park-germaine-greer

Yes, I would suggest you do a site visit. I was at first led to believe that the development was located near to Midsummer Common (CB5 8HE) when its actually off Ditton Walk nearer Stourbridge Common (CB5 8QE). A more industrial location. If you don't know Cambridge, I have a better idea. Rent.

Tks

Well, i guess the open house for offers in excess of £250k on feb 6th didnt go well, as its now up with Cheffins for auction, guide £240-250k

http://www.cheffins.co.uk/lot/hunters-fen-twentypence-road-cottenham-cambs-cb24-8sp-406567-propertyauctions-1

That being said, auctions sometimes seem to attract the HUTH type crazies who must 'win' at any price.

TBH even though auctions seem too attract folk like this

But the falling down semi in Histon went for nearly 290k. Bidders at auction will never cease to amaze me, especially the ones that don't complete after paying their deposit and premium!

Not the Coton Rd. one?! I know someone who thought £150K might have tempted him but after he described jumping down into the kitchen, and an £80K underpinning quote I thought he was a bit mad.

The Histon one, not Grantchester. Unbelievable? There's better in my view. The part-developed, semi-screwed up property on Gwydir Streer, bought for 260 and part-renovated sold at auction for 360 a couple of weeks ago. Except it didn't. I sit here wondering whether or not the potential purchaser really did have to pay 10% plus buyers premium, best part of £45k, and subsequently lose it or whether the auction system is actually more corrupt than I thought. I suspect the latter.

Not the Coton Rd. one?! I know someone who thought £150K might have tempted him but after he described jumping down into the kitchen, and an £80K underpinning quote I thought he was a bit mad.

Edited by fallingbuzzard

I wouldn't agree since I think it s a buyers market but I'll hear your objections. I think the following advice is fair in the current economic circumstances:

"The Cambridge market grew at a phenomenal pace during the early and mid 2000s, peaking in 2007. Prices in Cambridge have deteriorated by 20% from the 2007 peak. The villages close to Cambridge benefit from proximity to the City but villages north of Cambridge are less sought after with prices reflecting this. Prices increased marginally in 2009. However, this was due to a shortage in supply of good quality houses. It is very difficult to predict values going forward with the market very dependent on the availability of finance, the local economy, and employment. In the current market it is very necessary to price a property realistically in order to attract interest and secure a buyer."

If you think this is wrong, let me know and I will provide the agent with feedback and your phone number.

Haven't been on here for a while. Is the general consensus that it's a seller's market and we're back up to peak prices in Cambridge now? Looks that way from a glance at Rightmove?

Thanks for article. Maybe, as suggested, I need to rent first. I like the idea of Coton and cycling to Cambridge (?), but few houses seem available.

Renting first is a very good suggestion. There are a lot of grotty, rather over-priced houses in Cambridge and many of the places I have viewed needed serious remedial work, despite asking top dollar. Its a good idea to get a feel for the areas you like (and are in your price range) first.

Coton is small and houses there don't come up that often. When they do there is usually a bit of a feeding frenzy as quite a few people fancy the 'in the country but close to town' location. Walking round it I can hear the dulcet tones of the M11 outside. Going a bit further Barton is a bit larger, but again houses don't come up that often. Comberton and Hardwick are more substantial villages and houses do come up fairly regularly in both. I work with people who cycle from both into town centre, but I'd reckon they are at the limit of regular cycling/commuting range.

Edited by Uitlander

What's going on in Cambridge?? I've just been looking at current asking prices on the streets around where I used to live (in the Mill Road area). I put my 2-bed terrace on the market in October 2007 (signed off details with agents the week before Northern Rock :P ) for £275K and sold it in Jan 2008 after dropping the price to £250K fairly quickly. Now similar houses in the surrounding area are all on the market for £275K-£295K, yet looking at Nethouseprices.com, the best price anyone's achieved since the time when I sold is c. £235K. So why on earth are the houses all going on at over peak prices? It doesn't make any sense. Where are these valuations coming from, if no one's actually paying that kind of money? It could be a lag due to Land Registry data being available months behind the market, but it still seems to be a huge jump.