House Price Crash Forum

That's the house next door to the magrath avenue nuthouse. Unbelievable but I'm sure they'll sell to a slightly naive but wealthy person that likes care in the community!

Yeah, I added a post about this a few days ago – can't believe that TuckerGardner really think this is worth £700k, when you can get a semi like this for £345k on the same street...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...auction%3Dfalse

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Delusion, a fixed belief that is certainly and definitely false, but that could possibly be plausible, for example, that this house is worth 700k. I reckon its worth 420k tops if it wasn't next door to number 28/29 because it seems like a good refurbishment, but I would never buy it to live in or to rent out simply because of the house next door.

Yeah, I added a post about this a few days ago – can't believe that TuckerGardner really think this is worth £700k, when you can get a semi like this for £345k on the same street...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sa...auction%3Dfalse

Delusion, a fixed belief that is certainly and definitely false, but that could possibly be plausible, for example, that this house is worth 700k. I reckon its worth 420k tops if it wasn't next door to number 28/29 because it seems like a good refurbishment, but I would never buy it to live in or to rent out simply because of the house next door.

It's a house price crash...

http://tgresidential.com/Buy/Details.aspx?id=S14315

£650k? Bargain.

Something happened this week... Near where I live, there are about 60 for sale new instructions within 1 mile radius within a week. That is a lot.

Maybe finally the break point has been reached?

Where's that? There weren't that many added in my weekly search on RM for Cambridge [earlier today].

Edited by redwing
yes, its the cabbies overpriced house doing the rounds again. base rates at 0.5% and they still sank.

You mean in the generic sense or was it previously owned by an actual cabbie? Agreed it's overpriced btw, especially as it's probably in quite a state (note the limited number of internal shots and the overgrown looking garden).

You mean in the generic sense or was it previously owned by an actual cabbie? Agreed it's overpriced btw, especially as it's probably in quite a state (note the limited number of internal shots and the overgrown looking garden).

And there are no windows on the inside of the house. Even if there are some on the outside. Weird.

You can see the repo notice in one of the front windows. And the tape over the oven is a giveaway too.

Nice find.

A friend told me today that unemployment in Cambridge is at a 12 year high.

And there are no windows on the inside of the house. Even if there are some on the outside. Weird.

You can see the repo notice in one of the front windows. And the tape over the oven is a giveaway too.

Nice find.

A friend told me today that unemployment in Cambridge is at a 12 year high.

The ranks of resting cabbies line the Hills Rd. arterials,

While trudging graduates carry futile CVs home,

The landlord cashes 19 graduate rental cheques at noon,

A last fare home for neighbour Keith to Georgian Splendour Row.

The ranks of resting cabbies line the Hills Rd. arterials,

While trudging graduates carry futile CVs home,

The landlord cashes 19 graduate rental cheques at noon,

A last fare home for neighbour Keith to Georgian Splendour Row.

That's quite beautiful poetry. Although a bit too rich imho. Each one of those lines deserves a whole poem to itself.

I've looked at about 15-20 houses in Cambridge over the last 3 months. Every single one I know of has gone for above asking price, some quite considerably above! I just can't get my head around it. Now when I look at the advertised price of a house, I'm having mentally to add on around 20% to get an idea of what it will sell for. This just doesn't seem normal - not only does the crash not seem to have happened, prices actually seem up on peak prices.

If I may ask, whereabouts are you looking in Cambridge?

Is it in fairly central and/or desirable areas? I can well imagine those are going for high prices since since they seem to be in their own market (i.e well out of my range as a FTB!). Seems to be more of a market for well-off buyers looking for quality housing (house + location for schools, uni etc.)

If you've been looking more on the edges of cambridge (e.g. cherry hinton or histon/impington) then all I can say is thanks for the info but as a fellow potential FTB.. bugger! I really, really don't want to have to buy outside of Cambridge & commute in but it looks like the only option for the foreseeable future. (Other than renting which is relatively expensive but still cheaper than buying.)

We're looking for somewhere "on the edges of" central! Not as far as Histon/Cherry Hinton if possible, as we walk or cycle to work, but towards those places. Seems to be impossible though!

Girton city-side is a reasonable medium, 10 min cycle to town with some amenities. Being far enough away from areas where the cash dash is going, and where the speculators, doctors, city commuters and dons live/invest in, it's having a reasonable crash.

This would have gone for £350K easily 2 years ago and is typical of the Huntingdon Rd. area;

2drxk6x.jpg

The laughable thing really is the asking price. Those houses are now selling at 220/230k, not 300k.

Girton city-side is a reasonable medium, 10 min cycle to town with some amenities. Being far enough away from areas where the cash dash is going, and where the speculators, doctors, city commuters and dons live/invest in, it's having a reasonable crash.

This would have gone for £350K easily 2 years ago and is typical of the Huntingdon Rd. area;

2drxk6x.jpg

The laughable thing really is the asking price. Those houses are now selling at 220/230k, not 300k.

The untouched, basic versions are but this one seems at least somewhat improved. I agree though that 250K is probably the best realistic achievable price given that it falls outside the Cambridge Crash Cocoon. The EA is obviously nevertheless minded to price in a miraculous economic recovery in the asking price; and why not? Cambridge has a deep pool of greater fools who continue to defy my estimates with the cash they appear eager to burn.

The untouched, basic versions are but this one seems at least somewhat improved. I agree though that 250K is probably the best realistic achievable price given that it falls outside the Cambridge Crash Cocoon. The EA is obviously nevertheless minded to price in a miraculous economic recovery in the asking price; and why not? Cambridge has a deep pool of greater fools who continue to defy my estimates with the cash they appear eager to burn.

Humbug. Cheffins had a detached four bed for 330 in the same street and it was way better although needing update. It sold over the asking but has not gone through yet.

Re the cabbies' house, the previous pictures featured a big black cab parked in front of the house. Don't remember how much it was but the 'new' price is still very similar, so it's a bit high for a repo

Humbug. Cheffins had a detached four bed for 330 in the same street and it was way better although needing update. It sold over the asking but has not gone through yet.

Not sure what your point is. That sounds in line with my knowledge of an area I've lived in and the current market. The non-basic, larger versions with extensions and improvements I know have gone for well north of 300K and may still go for 300+; but the example above does not appear to be one of those. It's a bog-standard semi with a large conservatory and not a four-bed detached.

Edited by drrayjo
Not sure what your point is. That sounds in line with my knowledge of an area I've lived in and the current market. The non-basic, larger versions with extensions and improvements I know have gone for well north of 300K and may still go for 300+; but the example above does not appear to be one of those. It's a bog-standard semi with a large conservatory and not a four-bed detached.

My point is that it's expensive for what it is and where it is. It's a semi and only 3 beds - not particularly nice. I seem to remember thas similar houses in the street sold for less.

It has been on the market for ages and they have reduced the price, so to me it means it's overpriced. The house I mentioned sold very quickly, this one has been hanging on for months.

My point is that it's expensive for what it is and where it is. It's a semi and only 3 beds - not particularly nice. I seem to remember thas similar houses in the street sold for less.

It has been on the market for ages and they have reduced the price, so to me it means it's overpriced. The house I mentioned sold very quickly, this one has been hanging on for months.

Yes, it's still as much as 50K overpriced, as I said, you humbugger ;)

I agree though that 250K is probably the best realistic achievable price given that it falls outside the Cambridge Crash Cocoon

As for the original 325K asking price, that really was pricing in a bounceback to the good ol' days.