House Price Crash Forum

Laptop Problem.

Harry Sacks

HOLA441

My Compaq r3000 laptop won't start Windows XP.

First time I've switched on in six months. I get the first windows logo screen, two minutes later a screen appears with options - start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking- and a countdown timer when the whole process starts again.

IMO the HD is effed.

Can I clone my Windows from this to a new HD?

HOLA442

First time I've switched on in six months. I get the first windows logo screen, two minutes later a screen appears with options - start windows normally, safe mode, safe mode with networking- and a countdown timer when the whole process starts again.

IMO the HD is effed.

XP, you`ve got to be joking, Windows 2000 PRO was the last and only of Microsoft`s decent operating systems.

If you use XP or Vista you are asking for trouble, Billy boy follows you all on every move you make.

Generic Host is his most famous got you by the cods file, at least you can control it in 2000 Pro.

Oh dear, how we must always have the latest. :P

HOLA443

IMO the HD is effed.

To be honest, I'm not sure that cloning it is going to help. If it's knackered a copy will likely be knackered too. However...

If you've got access to a machine with a CD burner and Nero, you can try downloading and burning a copy of System Rescue CD. Booting from this will let you examine the hard disk, and possibly repair it depending on what shows up. At the very least you ought to be able to use it to get any important stuff off. It's actually a bootable CD version of the Linux operating system that lets you read/write the NTFS filesystem commonly used by XP. Has a host of backup/restore/partition tools detailed on the main page of its website. I think the download is about 100MB so you'd better have broadband. Good luck!

http://www.sysresccd.org/Download

HOLA444

The fact that you can get into Safe Mode is encouraging. If your HD was truly screwed you'd get a blue screen of death and nothing else.

I'd get into safe mode and remove a few programs that you suspect could have caused a problem. Even offical updates can mess up your machine.

I've had similar problems with XP and they were easily solved.

HOLA445
The fact that you can get into Safe Mode is encouraging. If your HD was truly screwed you'd get a blue screen of death and nothing else.

I'd get into safe mode and remove a few programs that you suspect could have caused a problem. Even offical updates can mess up your machine.

I've had similar problems with XP and they were easily solved.

I got the impression that while the safe mode options are available, they can't be selected and the timer just counts down until the system reboots.

dom: Can you clarify please ?

HOLA446
HOLA447
I got the impression that while the safe mode options are available, they can't be selected and the timer just counts down until the system reboots.

From what you are saying the machine was not shut down properly the last time you had successfully logged in.

Chose safe mode from the menu, then when you have logged in, log out gracefully, then simply start the computer again and it should be fine.

If it is still not working nicely, then get into safe mode, and use "System Restore" to restore the machine to a previous date when it worked.

HOLA448

Sounds like he might be using some sort of USB/Blue Tooth wireless which might not be available to him during boot up, depends what type. Therefore he might not be able to select the options he needs.

Hmmm just remembered while typing it's a laptop we are talking about.

HOLA449

Archived