House Price Crash Forum

People on this forum often say thing like "All my local EA's are empty today i.e. no customers, only staff", and I'd agree - all my local (Woking) EA's do seem very empty. The thing is, I've been thinking about this, and I can't think of a reason why an EA would be full. most of their work is done outside of the agency (valuing properties for vendors, showing potential buyers around properties) or over the phone (updating buyers/sellers etc.). To my mind the only reason you'd need to go to the branch itself is for the initial contact as a buyer or seller, after that you'd never need to see another smiling EA face again, so an empty EA branch would not necessarily be a redundant one. What do you guys think?

People on this forum often say thing like "All my local EA's are empty today i.e. no customers, only staff", and I'd agree - all my local (Woking) EA's do seem very empty. The thing is, I've been thinking about this, and I can't think of a reason why an EA would be full. most of their work is done outside of the agency (valuing properties for vendors, showing potential buyers around properties) or over the phone (updating buyers/sellers etc.). To my mind the only reason you'd need to go to the branch itself is for the initial contact as a buyer or seller, after that you'd never need to see another smiling EA face again, so an empty EA branch would not necessarily be a redundant one. What do you guys think?

Only empty of customers.

Most of the anecdotes state that the staff are in the offices doing, apparently, nothing.

If they were that busy "outside" then there would be no staff present.

Why not go in and ask them??

Talk to a junior member of staff and push tem a little and the truth just comes tumbling from their mouths telling you how they have never seen it so bad, fear for their jobs etc.

It's great fun. :lol:

EAs do a usefull job, they are there to get the highest price for the seller.

Once an offer has been accepted they progress chase the chain.

Having said that, I was in my local EA on Saturday morning for about an hour.

3 phone calls, no viewings booked and 1 person cam in for directions.

Plenty of properties for sale, very little interest in 4 bed properties and above. As the EA said - theres going to have to be some price adjustment here.

EAs dont care about rising or falling prices, they are interested in the number of sales. The prices sold for dont make all that difference to their income (yes I know it may be % based)

18 months ago, if you went into an EA on a saturday morning, there would be a lot of people looking at properties, you would have to wait just to get the most simple question answered about a property and if you went into 3-4 EA's it would take all morning just to find out what new properties were on the market.

Now if you go in, there are always several free agents ready to speak to you immediately.

A few weeks ago, I asked if I could talk to the mortgage adviser in an EA(previously you would have to book a time and come back at some time that was very inconvienient to you)

The EA opened his diary and said when would you like to see him ( diary was completely blank on the page for that saturday).

I said Now? The EA said sorry but I will have to give him a call and he will be here in about 1/2 hour.

Where is he? I enquired. EA: He had nothing to do so went home for the day. He will come in if I call him.

When the advisor did arrive he was not that happy, especially as I was not that interested in taking out a mortgage and just wanted to know what deals there were and to generally find out what was happening (Nothing was happening). Both when I went initially and when I went back to speak to the advisor, I was the only customer in the EA and probably the only one they had all day.

I live in a town where there are/were about 6 agents, one of them has shut (Halifax) and a smaller one is not even bothering to open on a Saturday. They look very quiet indeed, but I guess the real test is how much they sell. I'm keeping my eyes open for any that also close or downsize their staff.

Completely agree with Mercenal.Approx 18 months ago if you went into an estate agents there were always another ( on average 4 other )customers present.You had to queue to see an assistant.Also you were very hard pressed to find a property that was not under offer. Infact I remember asking if that was all they had on a number of occasions(honestly I am not making this up).The phones were constantly buzzing and I personelly remember an EA asking a potential vendor 'how much they wanted to achieve in terms of asking price' in Reeds Rains.At that particular time I remember thinking this is madness and surely it can't last(this was before I discovered this site or any like minded people).Vendors were doing mutiple viewings and if you missed the soonest appointment they could give you then you lost out on purchase of the house(again talking from personel experience.

Contrast this to just before Christmas 2004 when, they was nobody else in any of EA's I visited and the phones did not ring at all.If you wanted an appointment it was when and how you wanted.I couldn't get over the difference from 6 monthe ago ,it seemed like another world.Now if you ring about a property more than once they remember you by name-possibly due to lack of activity?

The thing that srikes me how different ea's are now as compared to 12 months ago is their attitude. In the middle of the boom ea's basically treated prospective purchasers like dirt, had a take it or leave it attitude and acted like they held all the aces but fast forward to now................ well they simply can't do enough for the near extinct buyer and almost treat us with a certain amount of respect.

What goes around comes around eh?

Previously I had been sceptical about trusting apparently empty EA's as an indication of much. However recently I have noticed, day after day, that most of the EA's in my town are not only permanently empty of customers, but the staff in them appear to be twiddling their thumbs and staring into space.

Of the EA's which were previously open all day Saturday, many are now closing at Midday, and in the mornings are apparently idle. Of course they could be basking in record profits and taking a break after a hectic spell, but then the sky could be pink.

VP

2 of my close friends work for EAs (The same firm but different branches) - one has a little work to do, the other has *none* - I don't mean that loosely, I mean *none* - she sits in the office all day long and frequently has days with no customers whatsoever. The one with little work to do is actually bearish about it all but hopes things will turn, the other (who plays solitaire all day) wants to be Bullish but doesn't come across very convincingly - she told me the slump is only temporary and that "prices rose 0.8%" last month and I should've bought 'that flat' a few months ago (I nearly did too) ... :rolleyes: - as someone on here said before, prices can rise all they like, but if no buyers are in the EA office what does it matter!

A good friend of mine is looking for another job as the EA he worked for in Surry is closing down. They are cutting their losses now as they don't see any improvement in the near future. As for my friend, well he's decided to return to education so he doesn't have ever work in such a stressful occupation ever again.

Quiet around my way too.

I had an EA round last week to value my landlords flat, which is being sold.

He poked his head in each room for thirty seconds each, and declared it *worth* £155K.... which is what the landlord has put it on for.

Thats nice for me because I am certain that he will not be able to sell it for £140K let alone £155K, so hopefully I'll not have to have any viewings before I move out.

The EA needs to come back to take photos and measure up this week, and when I said when do you want to do it, he said "Anytime, anyday, before 6.30pm".... obviously got a very busy schedule this week. :P

Dear All,

Apologies for only responding now, I've been offline after watching my "mighty" reds lose at Cardiff yesterday...At least we're guaranteed that UEFA cup place, as I'm sure Chelsea won't be needing it.

Thanks for your responses to my question. I've only started looking at houses since October 2004 (thankfully I found this site not long after, or I could be regretting an expensive mistake now) so don't really have any experience of EA behaviour prior to this (in fact I've found them to be TOO helpful and pushy, it puts me off going in to the offices - you ask about one house, and get details of 10, and they never stop ringing (in Woking, Surrey, this is) )

P.S. Asking a question - yes, just a question - does not make me BBB in disguise! For what its worth, I'm one of the most sensible (i.e. bearish) people I know, but it doesn't mean I don't have an open mind about things. Maybe I should be burnt for heresy....

P.P.S Reality cheque - whereabouts in Surrey?

At least we're guaranteed that UEFA cup place, as I'm sure Chelsea won't be needing it.

Slightly off topic here psbm , but does the losing finalist in the Carling Cup get the UEFA spot by default ?

Only reason I ask is that we (Birmingham City) lost to liverpool in the worthingtons a 2/3 years ago but didnt get the uefa spot even though pool were already qualified for the champions league that year ...

On-topic .

Dont really bother looking at the estate agents round by me as I assume they're out putting up the increasing proliferation of "to let" / "for sale" signs round my way ..

Sure, EAs are never going to be full of people, but you can tell how busy they are simply by the number of phone calls they take. I remember going into my then-local EA this time last year and the phone just would NOT stop ringing. Next saturday morning, try spending 5 minutes in the EA's office and see how many calls they take. That's as good a barometer as any of the level of activity right now.

Sure, EAs are never going to be full of people, but you can tell how busy they are simply by the number of phone calls they take. I remember going into my then-local EA this time last year and the phone just would NOT stop ringing. Next saturday morning, try spending 5 minutes in the EA's office and see how many calls they take. That's as good a barometer as any of the level of activity right now.

Of course the phone rings - it's people putting their houses on the market. I wonder what EAs do Monday to Friday while the rest of us are at work. Any ideas? Planning what BMW to buy next, maybe.