House Price Crash Forum

Land Grabbing Neighbour

dipstick

HOLA441
Guest xeouialp
You MUST get your solicitor onto it

TD

So, Mr Dragon, somebody trolls onto YOUR land, fixes a fence on it in front of your living room window and you - "get your solicitor onto it" .

Where are your principles? Where is your backbone? Where is your self-esteem?

Come on, you don't do that do you? No. You flap your wings, you roar, you breathe fire and you burn their fence down!!!

Which is exactly what Dipstick should do.

Everybody - everybody who has posted here has said go and talk to someone else about it. Fellow humans, we must lift ourselves out of this nanny state mentality! We can do things for ourselves. We must fight for our rights. Overthrow our oppressors. Take control of our lives, our land, our supermarkets!

Up Dipstick!!!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

HOLA442

Let's be realistic. The police aren't even going to show up.

Remove his fencing without destroying it and chuck it back over the boundary. Or better still, uproot it and plant it all right back where the boundary really is. No damage, no law breaking.

HOLA443
HOLA444

I would petition the UN security council to agree on a resolution demanding your neighbour to move his fence back to the boundary line. At the same time build up a large military force on your own land. While the UN are dithering the issue for months, mount a surprise blitzkrieg attack to drive your neighbour back, while muttering something about suspected WMDs on his property.

Is there a stream running through your land? It might prove useful in facilitating an amphibious assault he might not be expecting. And don`t forget to land paratroopers the night before to sow confusion amongst the enemy!

HOLA445
Guest xeouialp
Meanwhile they arrest for suspicion of causing criminal damage.

You are in law entitled to remove the foreign property from your land but not to damage it.

WHAT!!!

So Bloo Loo, YOUR neighbour can come round to your house one afternoon, dig holes in YOUR garden, start putting down foundations for a house and you don't act because you've told yourself you're not allowed to ruffle the concrete he's put in?

I think you may need to adjust your thinking Bloo Loo. Nobody is allowed to fix anything to your land. You are within your rights to remove it and if you have to damage it in the process, that's life. You could achieve removal of the fence by sawing through the base of the posts. No court would convict you. It's your land!!!

If you're frightended of policemen who don't know what the law is, then that's just one way in which your neighbour is playing on your fears to get his own way. So don't bother with all that. If the police imply that they may arrest you unlawfully then telll them you will be putting in a complaint to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. But that won't happen - these are all imaginary fears in Bloo Loo's head - but it's okay to anticipate those thoughts in your head if you want. If you're really that nervous then by all means just start digging trenches round the posts so the fence falls over. That's not damage, but I think it would show you are a very, very nice person.

Please act now, this minute. Only get a move on, the light's starting to fade!!!

HOLA446

Another stray thought. Send him an invoice, immediately, and via recorded delivery, for his use of your land. Charge extortionate, hourly rates. Do not forget to cost for the return of your property to its original condition. Do not forget to cost credit terms beyond the thirty day mark. This will become the basis of your eventual claim for damages - it is how you will demonstrate the consideration due for the loss you have incurred.

Regarding ownership of the fence - the Bloo one's right, of course. Which is why I was quite particular to state "if he considers it a gift to you". As he probably would, if being sued by the council, for disposing of industrial waste onto an adjacent property in a manner contrary to council by-laws...

Common sense says you'd also be entitled to take reasonable measures to return his property to him, though. And that he'd be liable for any expense incurred by yourself in doing so. Perhaps someone from the village would be happy to oblige?

HOLA447
I think you may need to adjust your thinking Bloo Loo. Nobody is allowed to fix anything to your land. You are within your rights to remove it and if you have to damage it in the process, that's life.

I think he was referring to damage which clearly isn't 'in the process'.

Dig up the fence, and if that necessitates sawing through some posts, then so be it. Digging up the fence and then making a bonfire out of it just to teach him a lesson, however, might be regarded by the CPS and a jury as criminal damage.

HOLA448
Dig up the fence, and if that necessitates sawing through some posts, then so be it. Digging up the fence and then making a bonfire out of it just to teach him a lesson, however, might be regarded by the CPS and a jury as criminal damage.

Having zero legal background, I'd take a guess that the court gets to split the hair between "excessive" and "reasonable".

Seriously, bankrupt this arsehat. If he's stupid enough to pull a stunt like this, he won't know what's hit him - until you're taking his land from him at auction.

HOLA449

But seriously in a nutshell, this is not a legal advice forum of course, but here's my layman's knowledge (not that sort of lay unfortunately)...

1. Phone local police, ask advice (not 999 obviously)

2. If no joy from police, then today with an independent adult witness present say to Neighbour: "Hello -, I think we've got to sit down and discuss the fence you've put up because you know it's on my land, don't you? Must ask that you remove it now." If unco-operative then give him a letter in is hand asking that he takes the fence down or advising the fence will be taken down and returned to his garden boundary in 24 hrs if he doesn't do it himself." Take care to not wilfully damage his property/fence etc.

3. Make appointment to speak to Citizens' Advice Bureau or use the free legal advice helpline that your insurers may offer.

Get qualified advice too of course.

Don't let him wind you up, keep it pleasant, and if he gets nasty you've a witness and can report it to the local police. Don't hesitate any longer though.

Advice "as is", no substitute for a qualified legal expert of course, but this is what I would do if it's under English Law.

Edited by The Last Bear

HOLA4410

Goodness! All you virulent young bucks with antlers drawn advising revenge or satisfaction in one form or another! Take the advice of an old doe, past her prime, and keep on friendly terms with your neighbour (even superficially) and try to resolve your differences subtly, not via loud-hailers and law courts. Softly, softly, catchee monkey as the old saying goes.

HOLA4411

'Spose I should clarify really why I haven't shoved a fence post up his jacksy ... see, I'm bored with it all. BORED do ya hear me!!!!

Middle aged woman who has lived alone for quite a while now (and is quite, quite, quite, contented) is pig sick of moving somewhere and watching a feeble, failure of a cretin crawl out of the woodwork and try and make himself feel better at my expense (apologies to all the blokes out there who have enough self-respect and dignity not to lower themselves to such depths)

It happens all the time. And, no matter how many times I tell them that I'm a well educated, tough old bird who doesn't suffer fools gladly, they keep ploughing ahead, digging themselves into a hole until either a) I knock them out (see, told you I could do it) or b, Let them sit back and watch me make money at their expense (at which point they usually call me a right bitch)

Now look, I spilled my guts - but it is a damn good reason for letting the legal bods handle it, while I sit here and think of ways to increase my power and contacts (as if!)

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
'Spose I should clarify really why I haven't shoved a fence post up his jacksy ... see, I'm bored with it all. BORED do ya hear me!!!!

Middle aged woman who has lived alone for quite a while now (and is quite, quite, quite, contented) is pig sick of moving somewhere and watching a feeble, failure of a cretin crawl out of the woodwork and try and make himself feel better at my expense (apologies to all the blokes out there who have enough self-respect and dignity not to lower themselves to such depths)

It happens all the time. And, no matter how many times I tell them that I'm a well educated, tough old bird who doesn't suffer fools gladly, they keep ploughing ahead, digging themselves into a hole until either a) I knock them out (see, told you I could do it) or b, Let them sit back and watch me make money at their expense (at which point they usually call me a right bitch)

Now look, I spilled my guts - but it is a damn good reason for letting the legal bods handle it, while I sit here and think of ways to increase my power and contacts (as if!)

just be careful not to take too long to deliver that knock out punch, it makes things harder for you later.

especially since you are claiming that he's moved the posts several times now.

when the court asks why you didn't do anything sooner, and your reply is "Oh, well I didn't mind ." that just sounds a little off tbh.

HOLA4415
Guest xeouialp
Goodness! All you virulent young bucks with antlers drawn advising revenge or satisfaction in one form or another! Take the advice of an old doe, past her prime, and keep on friendly terms with your neighbour (even superficially) and try to resolve your differences subtly, not via loud-hailers and law courts. Softly, softly, catchee monkey as the old saying goes.

Virulent?

HOLA4416
WHAT!!!

So Bloo Loo, YOUR neighbour can come round to your house one afternoon, dig holes in YOUR garden, start putting down foundations for a house and you don't act because you've told yourself you're not allowed to ruffle the concrete he's put in?

I think you may need to adjust your thinking Bloo Loo. Nobody is allowed to fix anything to your land. You are within your rights to remove it and if you have to damage it in the process, that's life. You could achieve removal of the fence by sawing through the base of the posts. No court would convict you. It's your land!!!

If you're frightended of policemen who don't know what the law is, then that's just one way in which your neighbour is playing on your fears to get his own way. So don't bother with all that. If the police imply that they may arrest you unlawfully then telll them you will be putting in a complaint to the Independent Police Complaints Commission. But that won't happen - these are all imaginary fears in Bloo Loo's head - but it's okay to anticipate those thoughts in your head if you want. If you're really that nervous then by all means just start digging trenches round the posts so the fence falls over. That's not damage, but I think it would show you are a very, very nice person.

Please act now, this minute. Only get a move on, the light's starting to fade!!!

they wouldnt have got as far as planting a fence, I can promise you.

Im not afraid of cops, youd be surpised why!

the law about damage and ownership is clear.

If a kid kicks his ball on your lawn, he has no right to come and get it. You also have no obligation to return it to him. You are not allowed to damage it either.

In the case of the fence, you have to be absolutely sure of your facts regarding the position of the boundary.

The law is fracking useless in cases like this because the evidence can go back hundreds of years.

Anyway, we know of one house thats going down in price for sure!

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Guest xeouialp
Was waiting to see if anyone would notice my deliberate play on the words virile and virulent! Glad there is someone who is alert. And yes, I intentionally posted virulent.....for reasons that you may care to deduce for yourself!

Inebriated with the exuberance of your own verbosity?

HOLA4419
Guest xeouialp

Oh I see.

It's a woman.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
So, Mr Dragon, somebody trolls onto YOUR land, fixes a fence on it in front of your living room window and you - "get your solicitor onto it" .

Where are your principles? Where is your backbone? Where is your self-esteem?

Come on, you don't do that do you? No. You flap your wings, you roar, you breathe fire and you burn their fence down!!!

Which is exactly what Dipstick should do.

Everybody - everybody who has posted here has said go and talk to someone else about it. Fellow humans, we must lift ourselves out of this nanny state mentality! We can do things for ourselves. We must fight for our rights. Overthrow our oppressors. Take control of our lives, our land, our supermarkets!

Up Dipstick!!!

I like your solution much better than mine, however I'm also mindful of situations where an innocent householder can be arrested for disturbing a burglar (and in Dubsie's case an unjustified bailiff) on their property: I was going for the safe and above the (irritatingly in favour of criminals)-law approach. :rolleyes:

TD

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

To start with, I think I should play it safe. First off to double check that the land in question is mine. I dunno, maybe something happened that I am unaware of and the land belongs to him - unlikely I know, but best be on the safe side.

Then hit him from that many sides he thinks he is surrounded.

Still, nice to see house prices wavering. And Mr Brown too, come to think of it!