House Price Crash Forum

I don't think anyone in Grange Park would have a problem with more new homes provided the infrastructure was put in place first, ie news schools, new roads, new dentists, new GPs, new shops, new parks and new community centres. The whole problem with Northampton is that new homes are being built, but new schools and GPs aren't - even in the short five years I've been living here I can see that the traffic is getting worse, the schools are all oversubscribed, our GP is 3 miles away, and the general hospital is a nightmare. I'm not convinced new housing in Grange Park helps the local economy much anyway, as I suspect most people just see it as cheap housing for people working in Milton Keynes. As Northampton expands southwards the real danger is that we just become a slightly grubby, cheap suburb of Milton Keynes.

I can understand exactly where you're coming from but having lived in Northampton for many years it does make me smile when people living on new housing estates on the outskirts of town complain about further development - I'm sure the existing residents were saying exactly the same thing when the original Grange Park estate was first proposed.

Trouble is though ultimately residents don't have much say in what gets built, the development continues. I understand there was a lot of opposition to Northampton becoming a 'new town' in the 1970's and the massive expansion then but it happened and now the same thing is happening again with the WNDC.

As it stands though Grange Park seems to be well served; a primary school, medical centre, shops, community centre and a country park for the relatively small amount of housing is pretty good. I can't see a developer building all of the same facilities again for such a small development - but you would expect them to contribute toward extending the school and perhaps the medical centre.

Edited by Jonesy
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can understand exactly where you're coming from but having lived in Northampton for many years it does make me smile when people living on new housing estates on the outskirts of town complain about further development - I'm sure the existing residents were saying exactly the same thing when the original Grange Park estate was first proposed.

As it stands though Grange Park seems to be well served; a primary school, medical centre, shops, community centre and a country park for the relatively small amount of housing is pretty good. I can't see a developer building all of the same facilities again for such a small area of land - but you would expect them to contribute toward extending the school and perhaps the medical centre.

The school is the real problem. The number of kids in the area will increase greatly, but no new places. Can't even see how the school can expand as it's way beyond design capacity (I've been told).

Yes, everywhere has been affected by new dev. I just wish that all new development (everywhere) was decent. Unfortunately, little has been in recent years.

The school is the real problem. The number of kids in the area will increase greatly, but no new places. Can't even see how the school can expand as it's way beyond design capacity (I've been told).

There are proposals to build a new secondary school between Hardingstone and Wootton, which will help.

Its off topic but did you see this;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/hampshire/7423127.stm

Town among UK's ID theft hotspots [28 May 08]

Number 9 on the list is: Far Cotton, Northampton

------------

I just noticed the Chron has some different information

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Peo...four.4123138.jp

extracted:

Outside of London, postcodes where the risk of fraud is more than four times the UK average include NN4 5 (Grange Park, Northampton).

--

et Sgt John Hayes from Northamptonshire Police's economic crime unit said: "Statistical and analytical study suggests that people living in the Grange Park area of Northampton could be at greatest risk of becoming victims. This is a simulation of who is most likely to become an identity fraud victim, not of who actually has been a victim.

"There is no evidence to suggest that people living in Grange Park, or Northampton for that matter, have suffered from identity fraud any more so than people living in other parts of the country.

"However, there is an important message here, in that everyone should take simple steps to ensure they are not easy prey for a fraudster.

--

Sounds like balls. They've figured out that your most like to suffer ID theft if you're aged between 26 and 45, earn 50k a year, rent, and move house a lot. Grange Park residents fit that profile, ergo, they are most likely to suffer. Its crap statistics by the sounds of it. As the police say "There is no evidence to suggest that people living in Grange Park, or Northampton for that matter, have suffered from identity fraud any more so than people living in other parts of the country."

Despite this, the Chronicle run it as a story, when in reality its a cynical ploy by Experian to attract business and make money. Either that or the police are wrong.

Sounds like balls. They've figured out that your most like to suffer ID theft if you're aged between 26 and 45, earn 50k a year, rent, and move house a lot. Grange Park residents fit that profile, ergo, they are most likely to suffer. Its crap statistics by the sounds of it. As the police say "There is no evidence to suggest that people living in Grange Park, or Northampton for that matter, have suffered from identity fraud any more so than people living in other parts of the country."

Despite this, the Chronicle run it as a story, when in reality its a cynical ploy by Experian to attract business and make money. Either that or the police are wrong.

Yes your perfectly correct Pablopatito

http://press.experian.com/documents/Experi...udDossierIV.pdf

The Far Cotton / Grange park postal area only has a 'high risk score' - which is somewhat different to actual identity theft being committed. :blink:

The Experian report is therefore nonsense.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Big...fall.4135116.jp [30 May 08]

Biggest monthly house price fall

Estate agents in Northampton say house prices in the town have fallen by more than £5,000 in the past month.

A Nationwide survey showed that prices fell 2.5 per cent in May, the biggest monthly fall ever recorded by the building society.

The typical house lost almost £5,000 in value, to £173,583, over the month, leaving average prices 4.4 per cent lower than a year ago.

Steve Curtis, manager of Miller Estate Agents in Victoria Promenade, Northampton said: "House prices have gone down by a minimum of £5,000 and in some places more than that.

"People just can't afford to buy properties at the moment with the cost of borrowing. We do a lot of shared ownership but even that has slowed down. There are still lots of properties on the market but no new buyers."

Alex Houghton, a negotiator for Whites Estate Agents in Wellingborough Road, Northampton said: "There is just a lack of first time buyers at the moment. Everyone seems to be waiting to see what is going to happen. We are hoping at some point buyers will get their confidence back and make the market full again."

May's drop represents a seventh successive month of falls, the longest consecutive period of decline since 1992, and much worse than the 0.5 per cent monthly fall expected by most economists.

Fionnuala Earley, Nationwide's chief economist, said: "The pace of house price falls accelerated in May as more weak economic news added to the gathering momentum of negative sentiment about the housing market."

Despite the gloomy figures, Nationwide said house prices were still five per cent higher than two years ago and 10 per cent higher than in May 2005.

Borrowers were much better placed to weather the storm than in the early 1990s because fewer people had bought at the top of the market, they were paying bigger deposits, and there were fewer interest-only mortgages, the building society added.

---------------------------------

Who would have thought it possible - no first time buyers and house prices falling in Northampton . :blink:

Edited by HouseDog

http://icnorthants.icnetwork.co.uk/northam...-name_page.html [31 may 08]

Outrage at decision on 450 homes

OUTRAGE has greeted the decision to allow 450 homes and a hotel to be built in Grange Park.

Chairman of the parish council Cllr Anthony Walker and MP for Northampton South Brian Binley are both against the verdict. The development includes 450 new homes of which 35 per cent will be affordable, up to 10, 500 m2 of commercial office space and a new 150 bed hotel. The West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC) granted planning permission last week saying the expansion would create 600 jobs and contribute more than £9.4million into infrastructure improvements.

Cllr Walker has lived in the area for seven years and always knew the land would be developed. He said: “I don’t oppose the development of the land but what it will be developed into.“The infrastructure doesn’t do. “Sewage, the number of schools as well as leisure facilities will be great problems.”

Mr Binley said: “This government quango is making decisions based on reaching arbitrary housing targets and the result is that the residents of Northampton will suffer. “We now know that the local views of the people of Northampton and the wider area and their elected representatives matter not one jot.”

Chief executive of WNDC, Mike Hayes, added: “The role of WNDC is to deliver sustainable housing growth in West Northamptonshire. If the development is given the final go ahead the infrastructure investment lever-aged in will benefit both the new and existing residents of Northampton in terms of new homes and jobs.”

A final decision will now be made by the Secretary of State.

------------------

Edited by HouseDog

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Sie...rmed.4138473.jp [1st June 08]

Siege man's shock at armed police outside his home

Extract:

A man who sparked an armed police siege after refusing to be evicted from his home [ Verwood Close, Goldings] has denied he threatened bailiffs with samurai swords.

He had mortgage arrears totalling £6,000.

See above link for more:

---------------

Edited by HouseDog

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Fig...g-on.4139666.jp [2nd June 08]

Fight to stop building on school land

People living close to a former middle school in Northampton say they will fight new proposals to build on the land.

The campaign group set up to fight development on the former Parklands Middle School in Devon Way, Parklands, celebrated victory in April after the Government's school's minister, Ed Balls, said the land should not be built on.

But despite Northamptonshire County Council's application to develop the land already being blocked by the Government once, the council has submitted a new application for the development.

The vice-chairman of the Parklands Residents' Association, Simon Hegarty, said the group would do all it could to fight the latest plans.

He said: "I can't understand them applying again if nothing has changed. It seems completely ridiculous.

"It's completely unacceptable and we'll be fighting this even more than the last one.

"For them to put a proposal in again so soon after the Government told them they couldn't do it just seems incredible."

The residents' association is now planning to write to people in the area and organise a public meeting to hear views on the scheme.

The group has been fighting against the council's plans for the school site for the past three years.

In April, the Government said the site should not be built on because it was needed for the nearby Northampton School for Girls.

But the county council has said the school is planning to leave the site in the autumn.

A spokesman for the authority added: "The county council has been advised by the department for children, schools and families that an application to sell land at Parklands Middle School can be resubmitted for Government approval.

"Before an application can be submitted there is a prescribed process to follow and posting a public notice is the first stage of the process."

In line with the legislation, a notice about the council's plans for the land has been posted outside the school site.

A similar notice has also been posted at the St Mary's Middle School site in Grange Road, Eastfield, which the council also wants to hand over to developers.

-----------------------------------------------

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/House-pr...shed.4144259.jp [03 June 08]

House prices being slashed

People trying to sell their homes are being forced to drop their asking price by up to 30 per cent in a bid to attract buyers.

As the credit crunch continues to hit the housing market, the Evening Telegraph can reveal that homeowners are being forced to cut tens of thousands of pounds off the asking price.

In Wellingborough, one home owner has dropped the asking price for a two-bedroom, semi-detached house by 30 per cent, from £225,000 to £155,000, since it first went on the market a year ago.

A four-bedroom Kettering house which went on the market eight months ago at £220,000 is now available for £175,000 and a two-bedroom Rushden home, which was first up for sale at £150,000 a year ago, is now available for £125,000.

Estate agent Simon Musto said: "This is reflective of the market everywhere. We are finding with some properties that have been on the market for a while, people are having to reduce their prices drastically or take them off the market altogether.

"But it's swings and roundabouts – if they sell for less they can buy a property for less."

The figures come from Propertysnake.co.uk, a website which tracks properties for sale on other websites and charts the changes in value of the homes over the period of time they are on the market.

The falling prices are helping some people who were unable to get on the housing ladder to reconsider their position.

Sarah Kenny, of Wellingborough, is thinking of buying her first home. She said: "It is good news for me if property prices are coming down because until now I haven't had a chance of getting on the property ladder."

Estate agent Martin Pendered added: "It is fair to say asking prices have certainly reduced. It is tough out there but there is still a lot of activity."

Official Land Registry figures for the first three months of the year show the average price paid for a house in Northamptonshire fell by 0.8 per cent from £161,465 to £160,123

---------------------------------------

:blink:

http://www.auction.co.uk/Both/LotDetails.a...s=388&date=

Lot 437

Guide Price £110,000+

Result Available £120,000

06/05/2005 £199,452 Flat L Yes Map 46, Johnson Court, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8GJ

I wonder what the rent pcm would be, it's near the hospital according to google maps, three nurses paying 200pcm each?

Ground Floor - Entrance Hall, Two Reception Rooms, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, WC

First Floor - Three Bedrooms, En-suite, Bathroom/WC

http://www.auction.co.uk/Both/LotDetails.a...s=388&date=

Lot 437

Guide Price £110,000+

Result Available £120,000

06/05/2005 £199,452 Flat L Yes Map 46, Johnson Court, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8GJ

I wonder what the rent pcm would be, it's near the hospital according to google maps, three nurses paying 200pcm each?

Ground Floor - Entrance Hall, Two Reception Rooms, Kitchen/Breakfast Room, WC

First Floor - Three Bedrooms, En-suite, Bathroom/WC

This one has been up for auction a few times before but never reached the guide price.

Edited by HouseDog

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Hom...rsts.4147611.jp [03 June 08]

Homes flooded as river bursts bank

Families in a Northamptonshire village were stranded in their homes as floods hit for the third time in four years.

Villagers in Silverstone faced another massive clear-up after the village brook burst its banks just after lunchtime, flooding houses in West End near a small road bridge.

Owen Smith, whose garden was submerged within 20 minutes, said: "It happened very quickly, it's crazy. It's happened twice within a year and we don't really know which way to turn."

Jon Ward's eight-month-old and two-month-old children were stranded with their mother in the first floor of their house while residents waited for the water to subside.

Mr Ward said the water was backed up to the playing fields in the village, leaving residents facing weeks of drying out and clearing up.

Jane Mansfield, who left work to deal with the flooding in her house, said she could not bear the thought of facing the aftermath again.

A spokeswoman for South Northamptonshire Council said 150 sandbags were sent to the village and anyone who would like more can call 01327 222323.

--------------

The third time in four years - that must be really terrible ..

I looked on http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/ to see if there was a flood warning but I can't see one .. Silverstone is NN12 I think?

A good example of chasing the market down here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-210...=1&tr_t=buy

It was originally on with Connells so I've got the Property Bee history from them as well as the new agent. To summarise:

8 Feb: Initial entry found

18th Feb: Price changed from £525k to £499k

5th Mar: from £499k to £475k

1st May: Changed agents

2nd June: from £475k to £445k

That's drops of £25k, £25k and £30k in just over 3 months. A refreshing change to the usual £5k drops that most people go for. If it carries on like this we'll be buying it £240k next February.

Edit: I like this bit: "To the rear, the large garden is very attractive and has further scope for a vegetable patch or play area." What the hell are they on about?

Edited by pablopatito
A good example of chasing the market down here:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-210...=1&tr_t=buy

It was originally on with Connells so I've got the Property Bee history from them as well as the new agent. To summarise:

8 Feb: Initial entry found

18th Feb: Price changed from £525k to £499k

5th Mar: from £499k to £475k

1st May: Changed agents

2nd June: from £475k to £445k

That's drops of £25k, £25k and £30k in just over 3 months. A refreshing change to the usual £5k drops that most people go for. If it carries on like this we'll be buying it £240k next February.

Edit: I like this bit: "To the rear, the large garden is very attractive and has further scope for a vegetable patch or play area." What the hell are they on about?

Haven't you always dreamed of your own vegetable patch full of flourishing weeds and greenfly? It looks like a nice property, but its still £445K .. it has a way to go yet before anyone I know will be buying it. The vegetable patch will have to wait a while longer.

In the mean time, I'm seeing quite a few consistent price drops on Property Bee now. However, if house sellers could all speed up their price reductions a bit it would be most helpful! However, I doubt their listening?

We're only a few months away from the Land Registry going year-on-year negative, once we reach this mark, I think the speed and breadth of price drops will increase. Talk in my office is more about food inflation and petrol prices at the moment.

but ... I hear we might see another local estate agent go out of business soon. :blink:

Some updated price information

Northampton House, Wellington Street, Northampton Offers in Excess of £70,000 2 bedroom apartment

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-746...40&tr_t=buy

Was: £99,995

Now: Offers in Excess of £70,000

Price Change: Decrease of -29.9%

Cecil Road, Queens Park, Northampton Offers in Excess of £90,000 2 bedroom terraced

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-178...26&tr_t=buy

Was: £124,995

Now: Sold Subject to Contract - 'Offers in Excess of £90,000

Price Change: Decrease of -27.9%

Northampton House, Wellington Street, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN1 3ND £109,500 2 bedroom apartment

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-145...09&tr_t=buy

Was: £149,996

Now: £109,500

Price Change: Decrease of -26.9%

Poole Street, Northampton £109,950 2 bedroom house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-201...08&tr_t=buy

Was: £144,995

Now: £109,905

Price Change: Decrease of -24.1%

A Ground Floor flat situated on The Billing Road Offers in Region of £110,000

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-101...03&tr_t=buy

Was: £139,995

Now: Offers in Region of £110,000

Price Change Decrease of -21.4%

A Three Bedroom Terrace Property Situated in Northampton £97,995 3 bedroom terraced

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-102...20&tr_t=buy

Was: £122,500

Now: £97,995

Price Change: Decrease of -20%

Oakley Drive, Moulton, £159,995 3 bedroom bungalow

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-194...42&tr_t=buy

Was: £199,000

Now: £159,990

Price Change: Decrease of -19.6%

Birchfield Road East £104,950 2 bedroom terraced

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-207...14&tr_t=buy

Was: £129,950

Now: £104,950

Price Change: Decrease of -19.2%

Rockingham Road, Northampton £105,000 3 bedroom house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-160...12&tr_t=buy

Was: £129,950

Now: £105,000

Price Change: Decrease of -19.1%

Pinetrees, Weston Favell, Northampton Offers in Excess of £170,000 3 bedroom detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-196...38&tr_t=buy

Was: £209,995

Now: £170,000

Price Change: Decrease of -19.0%

Harlestone Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire £129,950 2 bedroom apartment

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-193...37&tr_t=buy

Was: £159,995

Now: £129,950'

Price Change: Decrease of -18.7%

Clare Street, The Mounts, Northamptonshire £143,950 3 bedroom house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-171...22&tr_t=buy

Was: £175,000

Now: £143,950

Price Change: Decrease of -17.7%

Farm Field Court, Thorplands, Northampton £84,950 2 bedroom flat

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-166...30&tr_t=buy

Was: £103,000

Now: Sold Subject to Contract £84,950

Price Change: Decrease of -17.5%

Mill Meadow, Kingsthorpe, Northampton £174,950 3 bedroom detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-165...11&tr_t=buy

Was: £210,000

Now: £174,950

Price Change: Decrease of -16.6%

Kettering Road North, Northampton, £249,950 3 bedroom semi-detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-198...19&tr_t=buy

Was: £299,950

Now: £249,950

Cliftonville £124,995 2 bedroom flat

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-171...72&tr_t=buy

Was: £149,995

Now: £124,995

Wellingborough Road, Northampton £274,995 3 bedroom semi-detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-175...15&tr_t=buy

Was: £329,995

Now: £274,995

Duston Offers in Region of £250,000 3 bedroom detached bungalow

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-175...64&tr_t=buy

Was: Offers in Region of £300,000

Now: Offers in Region of £250,000

Mill Lane, Kingsthorpe Village, Northampton Offers in Excess of £400,000 4 bedroom detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-167...=1&tr_t=buy

Was: £479,995

Now: Offers in Excess of £400,000 - Sold STC

Price Change: Decease of -16.6%

Kettering Road, Northampton Offers in Excess of £150,000 3 bedroom semi-detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-176...44&tr_t=buy

Was: £179,995

Now: Offers in Excess of £150,000

Hopping Hill Gardens, Duston, Northampton Offers in Excess of £150,000 3 bedroom detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-201...01&tr_t=buy

Was: £179,995

Now: Offers in Excess of £150,000

Weedon Road, Northampton £164,995 House

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-742...73&tr_t=buy

Was: £194,995'

Now: £164,995

Price Change: Decrease of -15.3%

Queens Park £132,000 2 bedroom terraced

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-183...50&tr_t=buy

Was: £156,000

Now: £132,000

Price Change: Decrease of -15.3%

Aintree Road, Parklands, £144,000 3 bedroom semi-detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-192...21&tr_t=buy

Was: £169,995

Now: £144,000

Price Change: Decrease of -15.2%

Ashley Lane, Moulton, £250,000 3 bedroom detached bungalow

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-189...17&tr_t=buy

Was: £295,000

Now: £250,000'

Price Change: Decrease of -15.2%

Rushmere, Northampton, £279,950 4 bedroom house

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-989...51&tr_t=buy

Was: £329,950

Now: £279,950

Price Change: Decrease of -15.1%

There are loads more ....

Edited by HouseDog

Hi House Dog. Not been online for a while. Busy Busy Busy. Log in now and again to have a look tho. Keep up the good work with the stats and C&E links. It all helps. Looks for sure northampton is plummeting tho.

PM if you can and let me know which agent is about to bite the dust, very interesting that it is.

See you all soon :-)

Annoyingly, yesterday O'Riordan Bond in Grange Park removed all their properties from Rightmove and then re-added them as new entries, which has screwed up Property Bee. Does anyone know how to merge the old Property Bee record with the new one, assuming its possible?

Annoyingly, yesterday O'Riordan Bond in Grange Park removed all their properties from Rightmove and then re-added them as new entries, which has screwed up Property Bee. Does anyone know how to merge the old Property Bee record with the new one, assuming its possible?

Hi Pablopatito,

I don't think there's away to merge data, but I could be wrong. I hear tell that in one of the next versions it might be possible to add your own annotation to your own data?

I've sent BeerHunter a message - I'm sure he will be a long to have a look shortly.

I don't think O'RB have made this move to foil PropertyBee, I suspect its more of a clean up now they've moved to their new Head Office. Although, they looked a little cramped in Wednesday nights Chron photo?

If it was an attempt to disarm PropertyBee in some way, continually removing and adding new pages would soon effect their sales, as most people bookmark pages there interested in and come back later.

Hi House Dog. Not been online for a while. Busy Busy Busy. Log in now and again to have a look tho. Keep up the good work with the stats and C&E links. It all helps. Looks for sure northampton is plummeting tho.

PM if you can and let me know which agent is about to bite the dust, very interesting that it is.

See you all soon :-)

Hi, TheCountOfNowhere, my PM function doesn't work on this board, I think its disabled ... maybe, because I sometimes post on another board which might be in competition with this one? Who knows ... ?

Anyhow, I'm hearing different versions of the same story now about a local EA office which has some financial difficulties. I can't divulge their name on here as it would be quite obvious to some where the information came from.

However, if I can I will post something as soon as I can ..

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Opp...5000.4158266.jp [06 June 08]

Opposition to plans for 5,000 new homes and four schools

West Northamptonshire Development Corporation, the organisation set up to push forward the building of thousands of new houses around Northampton, has objected to plans to construct more than 5,000 homes outside Daventry

The scheme would consist of 5,150 houses, three primary schools and one senior school as well as shops, offices and restaurants on land to the east of the town. But WNDC has said the scheme should not be built so close to Daventry.

In documents which will be submitted to an official planning inquiry, WNDC said: "It would result in unacceptable development outside the existing built up area of Daventry."

It added: "It would have a significant and unjustified impact on the landscape character of the area."

WNDC has also raised concerns about traffic. Its views will be heard at a planning inquiry in January.

The inquiry was called after the consortium of developers behind the scheme objected to the time it was taking Daventry District Council to make a decision.

-----------------------