House Price Crash Forum

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Rei...-for.4084853.jp [15 May 08]

Residents to fight plans for 4,000 new homes

A working party in Hardingstone is holding a meeting next Wednesday in opposition to plans for 4,000 houses near the village.

Rita Freeland, who lives in The Warren in Hardingstone, set up the party in response to plans by a consortium of developers to build thousands of homes in between the village and Wootton.

Mrs Freeland said: "The working party wants to preserve Hardingstone as a village by negotiating a buffer zone on the boundary and to ensure the proposed services are within the planning documents and are to the advantage of the village."

Residents have been canvassed with leaflets about the meeting and can find out more about the proposals at Hardingstone village hall at 7.30pm.

----------------------

So we now have an Action Group in Far Cotton and a Working Party in Hardingstone ... what other groups could we have? :unsure:

Edited by HouseDog
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Goahead-...omes.4086179.jp [15 May 08]

Go-ahead for thousands of homes and jobs

The masterplan that will lead to 52,000 homes being built and massive regeneration of our towns has been given the go-ahead.

Three years after talks to redevelop Kettering, Corby and Wellingborough started, Government Communities Secretary Hazel Blears has said the huge scheme can go ahead.

The confirmation of the Core Spatial Strategy (CSS) north Northamptonshire will mean the population will grow to the size of Bristol by 2021.

The new North Northamptonshire Development Company (NNDC) chief executive Simon Evans hailed the approval as a "huge boost for the sustainable development of the area".

He said: "This enables us to move projects ahead with private developers."

However, given the tough financial climate, there are concerns over the growth plans.

Planning manager Andrew Longley, of North Northamptonshire's Joint Planning Unit, said: "We will clearly need to monitor and review aspects of the strategy but the immediate challenge is to take it forward.

"Obviously, the rate of housing development will be affected by the national housing market. If we can get the plans in place and the investment in place, that's the most we can do."

Under the plans 16,800 homes will be built in Corby, along with 13,100 in Kettering and 12,800 in Wellingborough. In East Northamptonshire 9,800 homes will be built.

Stop the Over-Development in Northamptonshire chairman Sir Peter Fry said the plans would "worsen problems that already exist".

He said: "We can plan for thousands of homes but we're going to have a very high increase in demand for education and health and there will be a tremendous problem with traffic. Services are under stress even now."

---------------------------

Links:

North Northamptonshire Development Company (NNDC)

http://www.nndev.co.uk/

Core Spatial Strategy (PDF)

http://www.nndev.co.uk/downloads/NN_CSS.pdf

Edited by HouseDog

HouseDog & Others:

Could you please give me your views as regards rentals and areas in Northampton? I've just signed a contract to work for Barclaycard up there. I'm told the site is just off J15 off the M1. I'm going to try commuting for a while, as from where I live in North London I can get to the M25/M1 junction in about 20 minutes. My *guess* (inc. the current roadworks) is that it'll take me just under an hour to get to J15 from there. Is this reasonable, or an I kidding myself?

I'll be using a motorbike, so my concern is as the weather closes in later in the year the journey might become a bitch, so I might look to rent somewhere up there instead. Where would you recommened that's easy to get to J15 from. I've had a look on Rightmove, and there seems to be quite a few properties in the sort of range I'm looking for, say 600-900 pcm. As I don't know the area, I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations - especially areas I should avoid (or letting agents, for that matter.)

Any advice from anyone who knows the area much appreciated. This is South Northampton or North Milton Keynes, I guess.

Nomadd

HouseDog & Others:

Could you please give me your views as regards rentals and areas in Northampton? I've just signed a contract to work for Barclaycard up there. I'm told the site is just off J15 off the M1. I'm going to try commuting for a while, as from where I live in North London I can get to the M25/M1 junction in about 20 minutes. My *guess* (inc. the current roadworks) is that it'll take me just under an hour to get to J15 from there. Is this reasonable, or an I kidding myself?

I'll be using a motorbike, so my concern is as the weather closes in later in the year the journey might become a bitch, so I might look to rent somewhere up there instead. Where would you recommened that's easy to get to J15 from. I've had a look on Rightmove, and there seems to be quite a few properties in the sort of range I'm looking for, say 600-900 pcm. As I don't know the area, I was wondering if anyone could make some recommendations - especially areas I should avoid (or letting agents, for that matter.)

Any advice from anyone who knows the area much appreciated. This is South Northampton or North Milton Keynes, I guess.

Nomadd

Hi Nomadd,

Welcome to Northampton!

I would think the greatest part of your journey time would be getting in and out of London as once you’re on the M1 it’s a straight run. Barclaycard is located on the Brackmills Business Park (or posh industrial estate) so very close to junction 15. Therefore, depending on where in North London you are I’d think it would be about 50 to 60 minutes journey time max. (I used to live in Stoke Newington).

So where to rent – well I live at the other end of Northampton so I’m not 100% sure about where to live near Barclaycard.

However, I hear that there’s nothing too wrong with Wooton, Hardingstone, Grange Park and I suspect most of the smaller villages around this end of the town. Pablopatito and TheCountOfNowhere (HPC.co.uk’ers from the Northampton thread) will have, a much better idea about these areas than me.

It might be worth a look here: http://www.upmystreet.com/local/my-neighbo...orthampton.html also the forums of http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/ normally get a good response to ‘what this area like questions’ .

The local paper Chronicle and Echo http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/ has a Property Supplement (paper only) on Wednesdays which has loads of houses for rent each week.

There also this link: http://www.propertytoday.co.uk/Northampton/Renting.aspx but I’m not sure where the feed come from?

I don't know anything about local letting agencies .. or rent prices . .. however, if you have a question about an area or something local don't hesitate to ask

Regards

HD

Edited by HouseDog

Nomadd

I work next door to Barclaycard. You've got a few options. Wootton and Grange Park are large, modern estates which I find a bit soulless but are very popular. You can get a decent, but poky, 3 bed new build detached or townhouse for £800 or so, and there's loads available. The schools in this area are very, very good - and you probably pay a premium for this (see our discussions with CountofNowhere on the merits of Wootton) - there's not much else apart from schools. Hardingstone's a really nice village, good pubs and a ten minute walk to Barclaycard along a scenic footpath, but rentals are rare here. I used to rent a flat in Southbridge, which I loved, it overlooks the river, and is close to the town centre. It was about a 20 minute walk to work, or 5 minutes in the car. Its not the poshest area of town though. £650 will get you this http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-109...4&tr_t=rent . If you want somewhere with decent nightlife and a bit more interesting, you can't go wrong with Abington - the trendiest area of town. Alternatively, you can get better value renting a nice house in one of the villages to the south of the town, and it still won't take you long to get to work/motorway - the traffic in the south is pretty good.

I can't advise on traffic, but I guess you'll be travelling in the opposite direction to most (ie north in the morning, south in the evening). But the roadworks are still pretty dire on the M1 aren't they?

It used to take me 40 mins from J5 to J15 (actually door to door). Don't forget that J14 to J15 is about 15 miles. I now budget on an hour because of the hateful roadworks, but I don't make the trip as often now.

You haven't said what your domestic situation is (kids etc). For a bike you'll need a garage in town (Southbridge, for security), but not in Grange Park or Wootton (weather protection apart).

All areas have a mix of housing including flats and outside town, they'll be a bit of spare parking (car and bike).

In Summer lots of people walk from Barclaycard area to pubs in Hardingstone.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/chronsum...dder.4032078.jp [ 16th May 08 ]

Slippery property ladder

Advice on how to get a mortgage in today's tough financial climate.

My advice to first time buyers? Rent."

Having taken his first steps onto the property ladder, 28-year-old Duncan Woods believes he bought at just the right time "before it all got messy".

He completed on his Northampton property in January but said he would probably still be in rented accommodation if he held off any longer.

The mortgage market has changed so rapidly in the last few months that it is increasingly difficult for first time buyers to get a foothold and offers are changing daily for people remortgaging.

Like many young people, Duncan had to rely on his parents to afford a mortgage on his two-bedroom terrace in Abington, on which he pays £625 a month.

"I had a 20 per cent deposit as otherwise my monthly repayments would have been unaffordable. It is very confusing. I talked to a lot of people and a mortgage advisor before I did anything. I am on a fixed rate for five years but after that, god knows what will happen.

"My advice to others would be not to get a mortgage. It is the wrong time, wait to see how the market does."

And it is increasingly difficult for people to get a new mortgage, with the numbers approved reaching the lowest monthly rate since September 1997. The British Bankers' Association said there were just 35,417 new mortgages approved in March, 18 per cent lower than February and 46 per cent down on March 2007.

Putting down a large deposit may be the only way for first time buyers to even get a property in the current climate, with all the big lenders withdrawing their 100 per cent mortgages.

The trend has gone back 10 years, when people had to save for a deposit rather than thinking it was their right to have a mortgage.

According to Northampton-based R S Financial Services, the best rates are for 75 per cent mortgages, meaning people need to have 25 per cent up front.

A mortgage advisor from the Queen's Park practice said: "The larger the deposit, the more choice of mortgages there are and the better the rates."

It is also increasingly important to have a clean record in terms of debt because if, for example, you have deferred on a car loan repayment, a mortgage lender could be unwilling to lend to you. Recent debts are the most dangerous and it is better to have none.

As for people coming off a fixed rate who are wanting to remortgage, there is a whole other minefield of obstacles.

Rates are most likely to have gone up and deals are changing daily, making it difficult to know when to act.

R S Financial Services advise mortgage holders to act quickly and be informed.

"The rates are moving so fast. We just got two emails in today showing two rates were changing at 5pm and that only came in five hours ago. People need to keep an eye on the market," said their mortgage advisor.

"They need to be looking eight weeks before their mortgage is due. It is very dangerous to hold off until the last minute.

"People also need to think how long they will be in a property for. Two, three and five year mortgages are fairly similar now so if you are going to stay in a property for a long time it may be better to go for a five year rate."

--------------------

Another one of these Chron stories which doesn't really go anywhere ... ? :blink:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Big...oing.4093887.jp [18May 08]

Big rise in number going bankrupt in Northampton

The number of people making themselves bankrupt in Northampton has shot up by 20 per cent as the credit crunch tightens its grip.

New figures revealed by professional services firm KPMG show people petitioning for their own bankruptcy increased from 166 cases in the three months at the end of 2007 to 200 cases in the first quarter of 2008.

The Citizens Advice Bureau in Northampton has said it was not surprised by the figures, citing a spate of people walking in and demanding to be told how to go bankrupt.

To contact Northampton Citizens Advice Bureau call 0844 8552122 or visit www.northamptoncab.org.uk

see above link for more

-------------

:unsure:

HouseDog & Others:

Nomadd

As others have said, getting from J15 to Barclaycard is really straightforward, and less than 5 minutes drive (depending on traffic).

I live in Abington (don't know if I'd call it the trendiest area of town ;) , but it's a nice area in general with a decent park and good access to the town centre) and work in south Northampton so have to drive past the Brackmill's junction of the A45 each morning. The A45 can get a bit busy during peak periods, but normally isn't too bad. Nothing compared to the carpark that the M1 can become around Luton and Hemel.

If you're looking to rent somewhere that's easy to get to Barclaycard, Wooton or Hardingstone which have already been mentioned are close; Abington or Abington Vale might also provide some reasonably priced places (sorry, I really don't know about the prices for rentals). Anywhere off Rushmere Road, Park Avenue South or Park Avenue North (however, the right hand side past Chestnut road seems to be a little er...run down) would also give you easy access to the A45 and are decent neighbourhoods. Unfortunately, I don't know about the rental "stock" in the area.

Coming from the other side of Brackmills on the A45, towards Juntion 15A, you've got Far Cotton and East Hunsbury. Some of the others might be able to give you a better idea about these two.

Happy to answer any questions about specific areas :)

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Homeowne...inch.4096148.jp [19th May 08]

Homeowners feel mortgage pinch

Homeowners who are finding their variable rate mortgages too expensive are increasingly choosing to remortgage, according to county mortgage brokers.

They say people are being more proactive, and remortgaging as soon as their fixed term mortgages come to an end in response to the increasing interest rates.

Darren Ward, a mortgage adviser at The Mortgage Centre in Kettering, said many of his customers were feeling the pinch.

He said: "We have certainly had a lot of people remortgaging in the past few weeks.

"Before Christmas we were selling tracker mortgages, but now everybody wants fixed rate ones, as the market is so volatile.

"At the moment there are still some good mortgage deals around, and it is a good time to switch mortgage as long as you have a reasonable sized deposit, of at least five per cent.

"It's always going to be worthwhile remortgaging once your deal comes to an end, because a fixed rate is normally less than the standard variable rate the mortgage defaults to once the deal ends.

"We deal with a lot of existing customers who remortgage every three years.

"Although we do get a commission from the lenders, we are regulated by the Financial Services Authority and we would not let that influence which mortgage we recommend."

The cost of a mortgage has been on the rise for the past decade, with homeless charity Shelter pointing out that while the average weekly income of working households had increased by 53 per cent over the past 10 years, monthly mortgage repayments had leapt by 172 per cent.

Across the UK, average mortgage costs rose from £304.80 to £827.87 in the same period.

While many people are able to reduce their spending or rely on savings to manage this rise, The Council of Mortgage Lenders estimates this year 43,000 people will lose their homes – a sharp increase on the 27,100 re-possessions in 2007.

Chris Poulson, a businessman living in Redhill Grange in Wellingborough, said: "My fixed rate deal is coming to an end and I've got to look at remortgaging.

"Finding a broker that is truly independent is always a sticking point.

"I would research the mortgages on offer myself, but the problem is finding the time, so what I usually do is to go to two or three mortgage brokers and compare what they tell me.

"Your mortgage is something you don't really think about until you have to, you wince when the rates go up, certainly, but it's just the way of the world.

"If America coughs we sneeze, so I'm not surprised the experts are predicting more repossessions this year in line with what has happened over there.

"I do think the Bank of England should step in if it can though."

Josephine Pizzimenti, a housewife from Kettering, said: "Our mortgage has gone up by only £7 a month, which is less than we thought, so it is manageable.

"The way things are going I think a lot of people are going to start struggling, and it is unfortunate for them.

"My brother and his partner were finding their mortgage was getting too much for them, so they decided to sell up and travel around Europe in a Campervan instead.

“We thought it was a slightly drastic step, but he tells me he has met a lot of other people who have done the same.”

------------------------

Campervan sales are set to soar ! :unsure:

Edited by HouseDog

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Goa...3610.jp#2824299 [21 May 08]

Go-ahead for 450 new homes in Grange Park

Controversial plans to build up to 450 new homes in Grange Park have been backed by the West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC), despite major objections from residents.

The WNDC's planning committee last night gave its backing to the scheme, which would also see a 150- bed hotel and a number of offices built on land which was once earmarked for an Ikea superstore.

Their decision came despite residents saying they would rather see 'industrial sheds' built on the land than more houses.

Grange Park Parish Council member, Martin Smith, told the committee: "Extra houses will only put more pressure on already inadequate infrastructure. Schools in the area are already at capacity and are turning people away, as are the doctors and dentists."

When asked if he thought residents would rather see big warehouses built on the land he added: "I think residents would prefer sheds. We've already got them so we know what they're like."

He was backed by Grange Park resident Matthew Dunster, who added: "If the option was for houses or sheds, I think most people would go for sheds."

The residents' stance shocked members of the WNDC's committee, who argued more warehouses would damage Grange Park in the long-term.

WNDC deputy chairman John Weir said: "This is the first time I've ever heard people in a residential area say they'd much rather have large sheds next to them than houses."

Committee chairman Ann Tate, added: "I hear what people say about warehouses, but I don't think in the long-term people would thank them for it."

After hearing from the developers that the scheme could create up to 714 jobs and £9.4 million would be invested in infrastructure improvements, the committee voted by a majority of four to one to back the plans.

The scheme will now be referred to the Government for a final decision.

-------------------------------------

http://www.northantset.co.uk/news/Plan-for...rown.4103295.jp [21 May 08]

Plan for 500 homes thrown out

Barton Seagrave protestors win controversial plan to build 500 homes has been refused.

Members of Kettering Council voted unanimously to refuse an outline planning application by house builder Redrow to build the houses on land between Polwell Lane in Barton Seagrave and Wicksteed Park last night.

The decision, by the council's planning committee, was greeted by cheers of support from local residents opposed to the move, who had packed into Masque Theatre for the meeting.

Speaking after the decision campaigner Paul Smith, of Polwell Lane, Barton Seagrave, said: "I'm over the moon at the decision.

"We now need to work with the council to oppose any appeal which is launched.

"We want to send a message to the Government that we wont accept their targets for development in the area – we're going to stand up to them."

During the debate, which lasted nearly three hours, all eight members of the planning committee spoke about the potential development of the land.

The initial recommendation had been to approve the outline planning permission, subject to more than 30 conditions – however it was refused by six votes to two.

Planning committee members raised a number of concerns about the proposal including the density of the development, the additional traffic which it would bring and the potential impact such a large development would have on proposal for thousands of new homes to the east of Kettering.

Oliver Wicksteed, who is chairman of the Wicksteed Trust, spoke in support of the application at the meeting. The proposed development would have been built on land sold to developers by trust.

He said the money generated by the sale would have helped secure Wicksteed Park's long term future.

Barton Seagrave resident councillor Russell Roberts, said: "We have been saying no for 20 years.

"We are not against the proposal to develop but it has to be the right scale in the first place.

"We want to retain open space and keep the village atmosphere.

"How can we justify an estate two thirds the size of Mawsley without the facilities."

The Barton Action Group has been leading a campaign against the proposed development, Barton Seagrave Parish Council has objected to the application on the grounds the character of the village will be destroyed, open space will be lost and there is insufficient infrastructure.

-------------------------

heres another big drop

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-169...=5&tr_t=buy

9th May 2008

* Price changed: from '£369,950' to 'Offers in Excess of £299,000'

15th Feb 2008

* Initial entry found.

Look at it now though!

21st May 2008

* Price changed: from 'Offers in Excess of £299,000' to '£349,995'

5th May 2008

* Initial entry found.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Hom...t-on.4108047.jp [22 May 008]

Homes to be built on allotments despite protests

Developers have been given permission to build 71 new homes on a Northamptonshire allotment, despite concerns from residents.

The West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC) has given permission for the development to go ahead on a disused allotment in Newport Pagnell Road, Hardingstone.

Sussex-based firm Bloor Homes will now build a mixture of apartments and houses on the land between Martins Lane and Newport Pagnell Road, which has been unused for the past 15 years.

During a meeting of the WNDC's planning committee this week, members decided to pass the scheme after hearing it would be 'a high-quality development with individuality and character'.

Their decision came despite residents earlier expressing concerns about an increase in traffic and the loss of the allotment land.

---------------

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Ang...sion.4118148.jp [26 May 08]

Anger over Grange Park decision over 450 houses

Residents of Grange Park have reacted with anger to the backing of plans to build up to 450 new homes in their village.

After the West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC) backed the scheme earlier this week, the Chron has been inundated with angry Grange Park residents calling on the Government to overturn the decision.

On the Chron's website, Grange Park resident James claimed people living in the new homes would suffer because current facilities in the area were already at capacity.

He said: "It's all well and good getting a house but your children can't go to the Grange Park school, your 'local' dentist will be in Wellingborough, your 'local' doctors' surgery will be in Kingsthorpe and the roads will be even more congested, so getting in and out of Grange Park will take even longer."

He was backed by fellow resident Stevie, who called on MP Brian Binley to raise the matter in Parliament.

He said: "I truly hope Brian Binley follows up his promise to take this issue up with the Secretary of State and questions the authority of the WNDC and bodies like it to over-ride virtually every other public body involved in such planning applications. I, for one, am disgusted."

The WNDC has insisted it took the decision to back the plan after "weighing up an extensive body of evidence, including responses from the transport, education and health authorities and submissions from local people".

And Tony Clarke, the area's former MP, who in 2003 led calls backing Ikea's plans to build a superstore on the site, said he still believed the loss of the furniture firm was a great setback for Northampton.

He said: "An outsider would get the idea that Grange Park residents just don't want anything built on that land and would continue to object no matter what the proposals were.

"At the end of the day, I think the latest plans might be making the best of a bad job.

"But I still believe Northampton would have benefited as a whole if Ikea had gone ahead here instead of Milton Keynes."

A final decision on the 450 homes plan will now be made by the Government.

-------------------

:unsure:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Pla...Post.4118147.jp [26 May 08]

Plans are submitted for Post Office flats

Plans to create flats above Northampton's main town centre post office as part of a facelift for the entire building will be considered early next month.

The company which runs the St Giles Street post office, Torquay-based Primeco, want to refurbish the basement and ground floor post office and convert the first and second floor offices into 12 properties.

A planning application has been submitted to the West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC) which includes replacing the building's east and west-facing windows with uPVC windows.

The plans also include a new entrance to serve the first and second floors, which would be redeveloped to accommodate eight two-bed flats and four one-bed flats.

Four car parking spaces would be created in the yard to the south-west of the building, two of which would be for disabled users, and there would also be a bin and cycle storage enclosure.

However, WNDC is recommending the applicant provides financial contributions towards public transport "Buzzcards" – thought to be bus and train fare discounts – for the residents for 12 months, if the application is approved.

The town centre conservation area advisory committee has raised no objections to the changes to the building.

Primeco spokesman, Alan Baldock, previously said there were no plans to move the post office away from St Giles Street.

He said the company wanted to invest cash into improving the branch, making it more of a convenience store.

The company took over the post office in August 2005, amid protests from customers and postal workers.

More than 1,500 people signed a petition against the change after union leaders warned the post office could become little more than a corner shop.

A decision on the proposals is expected to be made at a public meeting at Franklin's Gardens, on Tuesday, June 3.

----------------------------

If I buy a flat above the Post Office will my post be delivered any quicker? :blink:

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Pla...Post.4118147.jp [26 May 08]

If I buy a flat above the Post Office will my post be delivered any quicker? :blink:

probably not - my brother had a mate who used to work at the barrack road sorting office and the boxes there were always left until last. :lol:

until someone torched them + put the place out of business, of course.

speaking of which, isn't that going to be developed as well? should help the bust along nicely, all this new development.

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Ang...sion.4118148.jp [26 May 08]

Residents of Grange Park have reacted with anger to the backing of plans to build up to 450 new homes in their village.

"An outsider would get the idea that Grange Park residents just don't want anything built on that land and would continue to object no matter what the proposals were.

bwahahahah - serves 'em right. ikea would have created a load of jobs. probably not brilliant jobs for it would have been work for some poor sods. we all have to start somewhere.

and since when has grange park been a village? :blink: more of a 'burb if you ask me.

suck it up. :lol:

From a quick drive round Grange Park it's obvious that further development was planned for the area - all the uncompleted stub exits on the roundabouts and road junctions exiting onto the undeveloped fields between the new estate and the A45. Surely the buyers didn't think they were for the benefit of the farmer!

Edited by Jonesy

Did speak to the PR company when they presented in Grange Park about new plans. Basically 40% is 'affordable' ie flats.

Q) What about schools? Local ones oversubscribed.

A) Yes, we know and there are no plans to help. Our client would pay some money in general pot (section 106???)

Q) What about other facilities?

A) Oh, no help there.

Q) You're not even trying to convince are you?

A) No, we're not.

Q) Why not?

A) 'Scuse me....Er.... can I help you (exit stage right).

I think this was a done deal... just hope economics of a HPC messes it up.

Why? I believe that new developments should be good developments, not just rushed, ill considered and unpleasant (to live in) schemes.

Grange Park is overall a nice area, largely because it has room for kids to play in, with swings etc every few hundred yards.

Turn over such land to self builders and you'll find well considered and built houses will be available in a few years. Schemes like this will suck money out over the years as they will not be great places to live and problems will flow from this.

IMHO..

Surely the buyers didn't think they were for the benefit of the farmer!

I don't think anyone in Grange Park would have a problem with more new homes provided the infrastructure was put in place first, ie news schools, new roads, new dentists, new GPs, new shops, new parks and new community centres. The whole problem with Northampton is that new homes are being built, but new schools and GPs aren't - even in the short five years I've been living here I can see that the traffic is getting worse, the schools are all oversubscribed, our GP is 3 miles away, and the general hospital is a nightmare. I'm not convinced new housing in Grange Park helps the local economy much anyway, as I suspect most people just see it as cheap housing for people working in Milton Keynes. As Northampton expands southwards the real danger is that we just become a slightly grubby, cheap suburb of Milton Keynes.

I don't think anyone in Grange Park would have a problem with more new homes provided the infrastructure was put in place first, ie news schools, new roads, new dentists, new GPs, new shops, new parks and new community centres. The whole problem with Northampton is that new homes are being built, but new schools and GPs aren't - even in the short five years I've been living here I can see that the traffic is getting worse, the schools are all oversubscribed, our GP is 3 miles away, and the general hospital is a nightmare. I'm not convinced new housing in Grange Park helps the local economy much anyway, as I suspect most people just see it as cheap housing for people working in Milton Keynes. As Northampton expands southwards the real danger is that we just become a slightly grubby, cheap suburb of Milton Keynes.

I agree. The primary school has far too many kids for the facilities. Local kids can't get in. Having to go further and further afield.

Houses don't help an economy greatly, jobs do and so many of Northampton's are to do with transport / storage. Not that many jobs from these.

Oh and the drains in GP are knacked.....