Northampton

HouseDog

HOLA441
  • Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

How did you know who works in my office? You only missed the Page 3 wannabe! :blink:

There really is nothing worth buying at the moment but every effort is still being made to prop the house of cards up.

Just did a search on rightmove. Houses for sale - all dross.

Page 3 wannabe in your office? You don't work in IT or engineering then.

HOLA443
HOLA444

Yes - it appears that quite a few houses have gone SSTC. I think it's caused by some form of cognitive dysfunction to be completed and moved before Xmas and the New Year.

I remember a couple of years ago, when I was actively viewing properties, I was called by an Estate Agent who was trying to muster both sellers and buyers into moving forward with a property deal before Xmas - as if there was some type of problem if you didn't want to play along.

I suspect many SSTCs will fall.

HOLA445

I suspect many SSTCs will fall.

Hope so, that might affect sentiment in the New Year and turn the spring bounce into a spring drop.

I suspect that things are probably bad for the EAs now. There can't be much commission around with houses not selling in volume, just wait for (another) one to go bust. They must be running on a much smaller staff? But the fixed costs must be killing them - if they are keeping the offices open.

They should be telling their landlords that they can't afford the rent - better to get / give a reduction rather than have the EA chain go under.

Personally, after the way one EA treated me recently, I hope the house chains are not the only chains that fail, the obnoxious individual from that EA chain should definitely lose his job based on his incompetence and arrogance.

HOLA446
HOLA447

Over the weekend I was talking to a friend who's had his house on Rightmove for over a year now. It's a nice three bed semi in an OK street currently on the market for £165K (Sorry I don't want to post a link to his house)

Anyhow, the sellers has had a number of very low offers which he's rejected and 2 on the money which he's accepted. However, he still has not sold his house.

The first offer - the buyer apparently had a mortgage but on the week of completion disappeared - only to reapper later claiming that he had been ill and now wanted to buy a different property! (Sounds like he couldn't get a mortgage)

The second offer - the buyer found that he couldn't get a mortgage.

In the meantime the seller has been in a chain which has collapsed due to his and others in the chain inability to move.

The house is back on the market still at £165K as the seller things he's already had two offers at this price. I did suggest that the offers we're a tad farcical as neither buyer seemed to be able to buy the property! But the price is still £165K :unsure:

I suspect this is a fairly typical scenario for most sellers at the moment.

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411

At least it looks like someone is doing the property history thing...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36566962.html

O'Riordan Bond are now in receipt of an offer for the sum of £133,000.

Offer is no higher than what was paid for an almost identical property in 2009...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=21322186&sale=43197206&country=england

Still, im looking for 2000/2001 prices, so anything above £85k seems too high to me.

Edited by Executive Sadman

HOLA4412

At least it looks like someone is doing the property history thing...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36566962.html

O'Riordan Bond are now in receipt of an offer for the sum of £133,000.

Offer is no higher than what was paid for an almost identical property in 2009...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=21322186&sale=43197206&country=england

Still, im looking for 2000/2001 prices, so anything above £85k seems too high to me.

Is that an open air office in the back garden ?

HOLA4413
HOLA4414

I don't get so called sheltered accommodation, or homes listed as "Over-55s only". There's a load come on for sale in Grange Park, all like this one:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36771709.html

Over 300 grand for a small 2 bed flat in the middle of nowhere? I get the appeal of "Care Team on-site 24 hours", but I'm presuming you pay for this via a massive annual service charge rather than in the price of the flat. Is it just a lack of supply keep pricing this high? Surely rich old people have better options than this? But they seem popular.

HOLA4415

I don't get so called sheltered accommodation, or homes listed as "Over-55s only". There's a load come on for sale in Grange Park, all like this one:

http://www.rightmove...y-36771709.html

Over 300 grand for a small 2 bed flat in the middle of nowhere? I get the appeal of "Care Team on-site 24 hours", but I'm presuming you pay for this via a massive annual service charge rather than in the price of the flat. Is it just a lack of supply keep pricing this high? Surely rich old people have better options than this? But they seem popular.

Selling them on is a nightmare - they are a rip-off.

But whoever buys them may feel that it's better than going into a home and the kids might be happy that they'll get some of their parents' house equity now and the flat might be sold in the future to get another bout of free money for the kids.

Usual - idiots, greed - short termism, fear, following fashion, sold to by liars.

HOLA4416

Grange Park - price drop?

From what I remember - £240k was a line for 4 beds (now asking 230-235k minimum)

5 bed (well, 3 + 2 box rooms) - www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36083374.html

from '£269,995' to '£262,500'

Stamp duty threshold at £250k?

Is this related to school changes? Or something else?

Edited by NorthamptonBear

HOLA4417

What I see is that house prices have been and still are falling slowly in most parts of Northampton. However, the 'desirable' enclaves of Grange Park, Wooton & Hardingstone do seem to be holding their prices more than other areas.

Repeating my Northampton thread post -

From what I remember - £240k was a line for 4 beds (now asking 230-235k minimum)

5 bed (well, 3 + 2 box rooms) - www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-36083374.html

HOLA4418

Repeating my Northampton thread post -

i was going to post this too.

thats th lowest priced 5 bed ive seen round there for a while......

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

HOLA4419

i was going to post this too.

thats th lowest priced 5 bed ive seen round there for a while......

Hopefully the first of many! But is it related to schools?

Grange Park always seemed different - more bling, upwardly mobile, optimistic people, less reserved, show off?

So a slightly different set of people - less concerned with overpricing, more concerned with status, good times?

But when the party stops - maybe less room for manoeuvre? When schools are less favourable, it has a bigger effect?

HOLA4420

Schools I believe. I don't think the Caroline Chisholm catchment area row has been settled. The LEA want to exclude Grange Park, but the school wants to include it. As an academy they can supposedly have control over admissions, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Take Caroline Chisholm out of Grange Park and prices will drop like a stone - it basically becomes East Hunsbury in the middle of nowhere with a long bus ride to a failing school. Annoyingly, it also explains why Wootton prices have actually gone up.

HOLA4421

Hello again everyone,

in the end I rented a property on Grange Park. Really liking the area for many reason. Was instantly reassured when I moved in as I got a couple of new home cards from the neighbours which was nice.

If Grange Park gets taken out of Caroline Chisholm catchment I'll probably be glad I rented as theres a probability of prices going down. However as of yet, unless someone knows something I don't, its still in the area for the school and the school want to keep it this way. Theres also alot of active residents when it comes to issues like this and I think its possible Grange Park parents will make more noise than some in other areas about this issue, how much difference this makes I don't know.

But also I take into account what NorthamptonBear said

'Grange Park always seemed different - more bling, upwardly mobile, optimistic people, less reserved, show off?

So a slightly different set of people - less concerned with overpricing, more concerned with status, good times?'

This actually makes me think the opposite to you, that a change in the school the children here go to wouldn't have as big an impact on Grange Park as another area where prices are only held up by a well performing school.

I could be wrong but thats why i decided to rent!

HOLA4422

Schools I believe. I don't think the Caroline Chisholm catchment area row has been settled. The LEA want to exclude Grange Park, but the school wants to include it. As an academy they can supposedly have control over admissions, but I'm not sure it's as simple as that. Take Caroline Chisholm out of Grange Park and prices will drop like a stone - it basically becomes East Hunsbury in the middle of nowhere with a long bus ride to a failing school. Annoyingly, it also explains why Wootton prices have actually gone up.

Cheers - explains a few things.

Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt - does wonders for one side of the negotiating see saw.

HOLA4423

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/local/northampton-is-home-repossession-hot-spot-1-4585528 [14.12.12]

The Chon is reporting on a report by Shelter:

New figures released by housing and homelessness charity Shelter today present a worrying picture of the areas across the East Midlands where households are most at risk of becoming homeless.

---

HOLA4424
HOLA4425