House Price Crash Forum

Northampton

HouseDog

HOLA441

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Nor...o-go.4268801.jp [9 July 08]

Northampton council staff to go on strike over more pay

Thousands of council workers are gearing up for a 48-hour strike next week which could have a massive effect on services across Northamptonshire.

The trade union, Unison, last night revealed that its 6,000 county members had balloted for industrial action on Wednesday and Thursday with leaders saying the strike threat is in protest against below inflation pay settlements.

Among the services likely to be hit would be refuse collection, benefit payments and street cleaning, while libraries and leisure centres could also be forced to close.

------------------------

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Nor...o-go.4268801.jp [9 July 08]

Northampton council staff to go on strike over more pay

Thousands of council workers are gearing up for a 48-hour strike next week which could have a massive effect on services across Northamptonshire.

The trade union, Unison, last night revealed that its 6,000 county members had balloted for industrial action on Wednesday and Thursday with leaders saying the strike threat is in protest against below inflation pay settlements.

Among the services likely to be hit would be refuse collection, benefit payments and street cleaning, while libraries and leisure centres could also be forced to close.

------------------------

Most of the council could go on strike indefinitely and no one would notice or care. Would save us all a lot of money.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

In tonight’s Property Today supplement - Simon Bond has written the weekly Market Thoughts column. A Wednesday is never complete without it.

Apparently, according to Mr Bond ‘ … there are some ‘glass half empty’ negative people such as those who you would find online on websites who are the purveyor of doom and gloom and who, if they are to be believed are saying the world as we know it is coming to an end.’

I think he must be reading the Singing Pig http://www.singingpig.co.uk/forums/ .. Buy to Let is Dead and they know it!

Or could it have been todays BBC online news? :blink:

HOLA446

In tonight’s Property Today supplement - Simon Bond has written the weekly Market Thoughts column. A Wednesday is never complete without it.

Apparently, according to Mr Bond ‘ … there are some ‘glass half empty’ negative people such as those who you would find online on websites who are the purveyor of doom and gloom and who, if they are to be believed are saying the world as we know it is coming to an end.’

Darn it. Missed this weeks installment of high quality farce from the amazing Mr Bond.

Unfortunately for him the world as he knows it (easy money, expensive cars and holidays etc etc) will be coming to an end pretty soon.

I wonder what nonsense he is going to be spouting in 3-4 months time. I can't wait.

Edited by matnrach

HOLA447
A lot more money but I'd prefer this one:

Sheerwater Drive, Northampton, NN3 5HU Offers in Excess of £210,000 4 bedroom detached

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-221...=1&tr_t=buy

Prices do appear to be coming down ... :blink:

Or even this one...

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-182...=1&tr_t=buy

Practically the same house, but over £10k cheaper.

or this, also with Double Garage.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-183...=3&tr_t=buy

You do seem to get an awful lot for the money (relative to everywhere else south of birmingham and not Corby or Wellingborough!) in the eastern half of Northampton.

HOLA448

http://www.northantset.co.uk/latest-nation...over.4275018.jp [10 July 08]

House prices fall 6.1% over year

House prices are falling at their fastest rate since the 1990s' house price crash, losing 6.1% of their value during the past year, Britain's biggest mortgage lender said.

The average property price dropped by 2% during June, following a slide of 2.5% in May, to stand at £180,344, according to Halifax.

The annual rate at which prices are falling continued to accelerate during the month, increasing to 6.1%, the highest level since March 1993 and up from 3.8% in May. House prices have now fallen by a total of 8.9% so far this year, dropping in eight of the past 10 months.

Halifax said the average home now costs the same as in August 2006, although prices are still 2% higher than two years ago and 40% higher than five years ago.

The figures are in line with those reported by Nationwide Building Society last week, which showed that house prices fell for the eighth month in a row during June, dropping by 0.9%. At the same time annual house price growth fell to minus 6.3%, the lowest level since December 1992.

All the major house price indexes are now showing falls, with economists predicting prices will drop by up to 12% this year.

The market is also unlikely to receive a boost from the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee in the near future.

The MPC, which is set to announce the results of its two-day interest rate setting meeting, is widely expected to keep the official cost of borrowing on hold at 5% due to inflationary pressures.

But despite the current turmoil, Halifax said the housing market continued to be underpinned by strong fundamentals. It said price falls were being driven by affordability problems due to rapid house price growth in recent years, combined with a squeeze on consumers' spending power and the problems people were having getting mortgages as a result of the credit crunch.

But it said employment levels remained high, interest rates were low and the shortage of new homes being built would support valuations. The group added that the drop in prices of 2% during June was a "slight moderation" from the fall of 2.5% in May.

NB: Press Association Article

-------------------------------

;) thats another very big drop!

HOLA449

When I add the halifax figures up it comes out at a 10% drop from June to June !!!!

When you add on 5% inflation then they have effectively dropped 15% in 1 year.

Suddenly a 30% drop doesnt look silly and im thinking 30% from this point, not from last year !!!!

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
O'RB Parklands appears to have closed. No computers on desks and a big sign outside.

ORB_1.jpg

There other offices must be getting packed full of agents since he assured everyone there'd be no more job losses this year.

I think now that OB has started shutting offices the game is up.

They dont seem to have any bullish agents in the C&E these days, i miss that as it gave people an opportunity to put forward the another side of the argument, Though, I personally think the argument has been won, and guess who was right :-) As soon as the northern rock when belly up it was only going to go one way. These US mortgage companies going are really going to be the final nail in the coffin....could be worse than we thought :-(

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I can't remember if we noted this one before but O'RB in St James Road appears to be on Underwoods [ http://www.underwoods.co.uk ] marked as To Let.

http://www.underwoods.co.uk/property/IMG_0819.JPG

orb don't have lettings - so virtually no cash in at the moment, I guess. If they folded - how would that affect sentiment in northampton?

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

http://www.rics.org/Newsroom/Keyissues/UKr...2008_150708.htm [15 July 08 ]

RICS Housing Market Survey June 2008

Comments extracted:

Ben MacIntyre BA (Hons) MRICS

MacIntyre Estate Agents - Brackley – Northamptonshire

Buyers are in short supply. However, correctly priced properties are still selling.

--- -

Adam Farnsworth BSc MRICS FAAV

Berrys - Northampton – Northamptonshire

There is no confidence in the market as to the value of property. The reduction of guide figures does produce higher viewing, but the value to a purchaser is based more on what he can borrow and they are then making offers based on this factor. If they have a property to sell, there is only a small chance of it going through. Confidence in prices is not being helped by the media.

--- -

Martin Pendered FRICS

Martin Pendered & Co. - Wellingborough – Northamptonshire

June was a much improved month. Sales were up on previous months, not far short of June 2007. Activity was improved, although new instructions were down.

Whilst new applicant numbers are reduced, the quality of applicants is better with more in a position to proceed. Vendors are slowly becoming more realistic, although it is surprising that availability has not risen significantly. Overall, the market is showing resilience despite the best endeavours of the pundits to talk it down.

----------------------------------------

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA4416

Lot 306

Guide Price £65,000 - £75,000

Addendum

Rothwell 6 Jubilee Street, Kettering, Northamptonshire NN14 6BJ

A Freehold Mid Terrace House

Sold 55k, I think.

9 09/01/2006 £110,000 Semi F No Map 6, Jubilee Street, Rothwell, Kettering, Northamptonshire, NN14 6BJ

Price halved in 2.5 years. :o

HOLA4417

Sold for 83k.

Previous prices (39 could be adjoining semi)

2 01/12/2006 £170,000 Semi F No Map 39, Delamere Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8QG

13 08/07/2004 £141,500 Semi F No Map 39, Delamere Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8QG

1 14/03/2000 £46,000 Semi F No Map 41, Delamere Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8QG

2 14/03/2000 £55,000 Semi F No Map 41, Delamere Road, Northampton, Northamptonshire, NN4 8QG

===================================

Lot 247

Guide Price £75,000 - £85,000

Northampton 41 Delamere Road, Northamptonshire NN4 8QG

A Freehold Semi-Detached House subject to a Regulated Tenancy

Tenure

Freehold.

The property is situated on the south side of Northampton to the south of Delamere Road's junction with Friars Avenue. Local shops and amenities are readily available in Gloucester Avenue with the extensive facilities of Northampton being accessible to the north. Communications are afforded by Northampton Rail Station. Further communications are afforded by the nearby A45 which in turn provides access to the M1 Motorway.

Description

The property comprises a semi-detached house arranged over ground and first floors beneath a pitched roof. There are gardens to the front and rear and a driveway to the front.

Accommodation

The property was not internally inspected by Allsop. The following information was obtained from the Rent Register. We are informed that the property provides:

Ground Floor - Two Rooms, Kitchen

First Floor - Three Rooms, Bathroom/WC

Tenancy

The property is subject to a Regulated Tenancy at a registered rent of £72.50 per week. (Effective date 28th January 2007).

Vendor's Solicitor

Messrs DWF LLP (Ref: JG).

Tel: 0113 200 5072 Fax: 0870 094 0939

Current Rent Reserved

£3,770 per annum

HOLA4418

http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Hou...more.4291485.jp [16 July 08]

House sales drop by more than half

The number of houses sold across Northamptonshire between June 2007 and March this year fell by more than half, new figures have revealed.

Statistics published by the West Northamptonshire Development Corporation (WNDC), which was set up by the Government to push forward housing expansion in Northampton, give a clear insight into the state of the county's housing market.

They reveal that house sales across Northamptonshire plummeted from 1,950 a month in June 2007 to just 784 in March 2008 – a drop of 60 per cent.

Experts at the WNDC have predict the number of sales are "likely to have decreased further by now" and warned they believe problems in the UK economy are likely to persist for at least the next year.

Town centre estate agent Richard Greener confirmed firms across the county were feeling the pinch.

He said: "There's no arguing with the statistics. Our own figures show that in March our figures were down 46 per cent, which wasn't as bad as the figure across the county, but I think that's probably because we deal in the more niche, character properties which there's always a market for.

"But people selling modern houses in large developments have certainly suffered."

The WNDC has blamed the struggling housing market on a reduction in the availability of mortgages and a reluctance in home owners to put their properties up for sale.

But despite the grim picture, the organisation has said it will push on with its expansion plans.

The organisation's interim chairman, John Weir, said: "Given the circumstances we're in, our resolve has to be even greater.

"We will continue to deliver for Northampton, Daventry and Towcester both now and in the future."

The Government has said 47,000 new houses must be built across west Northamptonshire by 2021.

So far more than 8,000 of the planned new homes have been built.

-------------------------------------

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
Another contender for cheapest detached home with Double Garage

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-185...=1&tr_t=buy

+ some rentals seem to be getting cheaper too, ive seen a few 4 bed detached in not so great areas for £600-700pm, but this looks an ok area.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-184...1&tr_t=rent

Indeed prices are coming down - I don't know Ecton Brook but prices appear to be falling fast? :blink:

HOLA4421

According to an open letter in the Chrons weekly Property Today supplement Horts are going to reorganise their business into one central office.

Also, William H Brown didn't appear to be advertising in this weeks supplement. Maybe it doesn't produce results like it use to and money is better spent elsewhere?

-------------------------

I wonder what could be going on? :unsure:

Edited by HouseDog

HOLA4422
HOLA4423
... Horts are going to reorganise their business into one central office...

just read that - very interesting.

the bit that interested me is that the negotiators are going to be self employed! nice for them.

unfortunately for horts they probably won't get away with it if the inland revenue get a sniff of it. an employer just can't say "you are self employed" and that is a done deal - it is more complex than that. "badges of trade", anyone?

i know someone in the revenue who deals with such cases - i feel a telephone call coming on... :lol:

Also, William H Brown didn't appear to be advertising in this weeks supplement.

that has to be the kiss of death, surely? what dimwit would keep their house on with them if they couldn't afford/be arzed to advertise it? :blink:

didn't someone on this thread point (housedog probably) notice this re Merry's - just before they went pop were reorganised? :P

HOLA4424
I really thought by now we'd be seeing new properties coming onto the market at significantly lower asking prices than those that have been stuck on the market since January. However, it seems it may be the opposite - houses are still coming on at peak prices, or even higher than peak prices. Here are two near me that have just come on, and I found their prices eye-watering:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-180...=1&tr_t=buy

Bear in mind that these are in Far Cotton, one of the poorest areas of Northampton. It almost worries me because our house is currently under offer, and based on these asking prices our offer looks an absolute bargain and we're mad to have accepted it. Of course, I'm confident that the only reason our house is under offer, whilst all the other houses around us remain unsold, is because we're one of the few vendors that have been realistic, and none of these houses have a chance in hell of selling. But there's still that nagging doubt in the back of mind saying "but what if I'm wrong....?"

Incidently, the detached house is also available to rent for £750pm!

Pablopatito - this one has now gone down a few K

Rothersthorpe Road, Far Cotton, Northampton £149,995 3 bedroom terraced

Price changed: from '£154,995' to '£149,995

HOLA4425
just read that - very interesting.

the bit that interested me is that the negotiators are going to be self employed! nice for them.

unfortunately for horts they probably won't get away with it if the inland revenue get a sniff of it. an employer just can't say "you are self employed" and that is a done deal - it is more complex than that. "badges of trade", anyone?

i know someone in the revenue who deals with such cases - i feel a telephone call coming on... :lol:

Horts Western Favell Centre has an AbbeyRoss 'To Let' board in the window.

Horts_WF.jpg