House Price Crash Forum

Rightmove Equivalent In Germany?

bertie

Guest Skint Academic
Might be relocating to Germany after Christmas. Wife wants to size up the houses we could rent around Cologne area. Any good websites? Google hasn't been much help I'm afraid to say.

I'm also particularly interested in this as Mr Academic and I want to move to Germany next year as well. Although we're not sure where yet, it depends where I get a research post (if I do!).

Sorry, can't help with the renting for the moment. I'll get back to you if I find anything. But if you ever consider buying there then my parents used www.bluehomes.com which was really useful.

Guest Skint Academic

If anyone knows how we can work out our take home pay for a position earning 35,000 euros p.a. then I'd be very happy to hear from them! Mr Academic and I are trying to figure out how much money we'll have to live on with me as the sole earner and paying off his monthly debts. (We're not married and have no children, apparently that changes how you get taxed).

Also, any suggestions as to how you go about learning German if you have no job and no income but are living over there? The quicker Mr Academic learns German then the quicker he can get a job and then the easier it will be for both of us.

With a salary of €35,000 you'll probably take home approximately €1900 a month after tax.

The taxation over here is quite high but you don't have to pay council tax.

Also, the tax system work on the basis of they charge you quite a lot and then the onus is on you to claim back tax for things such as travelling to work, expenses, etc.

A word of advice - if you're religous and attand church then it may be best to keep it to yourself when registering because otherwise you'll have to pay additional Kirchensteuer (Church tax)

As a previous poster mentioned, you can find lots of advice over at Toytowngermany.com

Oh, and some companies work on a 13 month salary scheme. It sounds daft but you get two wages at Christmas time just when it's needed.

Also, any suggestions as to how you go about learning German if you have no job and no income but are living over there? The quicker Mr Academic learns German then the quicker he can get a job and then the easier it will be for both of us.

There are courses for immigrants, but I would suggest you both getting started before you move, otherwise you'll probably feel very isolated, and want to come back to the UK after 2 months, the classic Brits Abroad scenario. If you both learn together it'll be more fun. Many colleges run 'German for Beginners' evening classes for a token fee.

Pent

Guest Skint Academic
With a salary of €35,000 you'll probably take home approximately €1900 a month after tax.

Thanks! This gives us the equivalent of £1372 a month. Hopefully the pound will continue to tank against the euro which means that we get more left over after paying the monthly debts of several hundred pounds a month. Getting your own education in Britain is expensive, especially when the cost of living is so high that you never manage to pay off the debts!

We would need health insurance as well though. I forgot to ask about council tax so I am glad to see that it's not extra. I'm applying for a position in a university over there and luckily my parents have their retirement / holiday home near by. It's sort of commutable, about 45 minutes fast drive. But then at the moment we're spending an hour each eay in traffic jams on the A1 as it is. But rent is also a lot cheaper there. So we'd probably rent a one bedroom flat and store all our belongings at my parent's place and visit it at the weekend. We could also start growing our own food. Anyone know what the hunting laws are in Germany?

We're not religious and so wouldn't be paying a church tax. I was wondering if it was obligatory for atheists as well but from what you say it seems that it isn't.

Hopefully I get to know in a few days time whether I have the job or not. If not, we'll be moving in with my parents for 6 months in England whilst we save some money.

Guest Skint Academic
What's behind the move? Are you unhappy in the UK or looking for adventure?

Both really. Main reason is that we're very unhappy with the UK and have no future here as far as we can see. We're just being exploited as far as we can tell. I've personally always wanted to move to Germany (my Dad is German) and learn the langauge properly. We both want to gain more experience of the rest of the world as well. But secondly a really good opportunity has arisen and, if I get the job, we want to know how we'll survive if we move there.

Archived