House Price Crash Forum

How To Get Rich

Tuberider

HOLA441
Their are thousands of such books out there and trust me, the only people getting rich are the author and the publisher.

I promise you that.

Thats because anyone who needs to read a book about how to get rich probably doesn't have much of a clue to start with about running a business, no offense guys :P

For anyone with enough business sense the how is obvious, just a matter of finding your niche/ idea. Which I have done and yes I do plan to be rich :lol:

HOLA442
Agreed. The best thing about money is that it can buy you time.

Once you no longer have to work 9 to 5, 5 days a week, you have taken a great step. You now have the time to devote your time to personal/family growth rather than to the enrichment of someone else's company.

I personally believe that life is all about personal growth, family growth and helping your children grow to become independent, functional members of society. Of course, you need enough money for housing, education and the luxury of having your spouse stay at home while the children are of school age...

Could not have put it any better myself

Raising good, honest and functional memebers of society THE job to work at, not getting rich

HOLA443
Thanks for the comments.

Yes it is a very good book, well written and totally engaging. I was engrossed and could not put it down until I finished it.

I think there is much to learn there for senior manager types and negotiators.

However, his refections on the meaning of wealth and what it means to spend your life persuing money crystallized a great many of my own deep-rooted and long held suspicions and confirmed something that I have always subconciously known: money isn't really that important after a certain point, and spending your life hacking away at getting rich is not a meaningful persuit. Dennis repeats my own belief that only three things are worth stressing about in life: Love, Health and Time.

I am not about to throw my life down the toilet, sabotage my family life and my health working like a slave in a foolish attempt to get rich. Dennis made it, but I am sure that he is one of a tiny percentage. Millions fall by the wayside.

In any case, what do riches bring you ? Paranoia ? Suspicion ? Alienation and loneliness ?

Have know a few rich people in my time, including one in the mega-rich oligarch category, and I can honestly say they don't seem to be any happier than the people I know without money. If anything, knowing them has turned me off the idea of getting rich. Their kids are all horrible for one thing. And the idea of having servants and a huge mansion etc is repulsive to me. Although a nice boat, travel, and security would all be very welcome.

I like money and want more of it. But only because it brings me the luxury of TIME. Time to spend with my family and friends, time to persue my hobbies and passions.

I know it's a cliché but the best things in life are free

A happy marriage and good kids

Family and friends, time spent together

Health - who can ever underestimate that one ? I would not exchange my healthy physique for that of Dennis at my age (short fat dwarf type suffering from variety of disorders) for all the money on earth

Clean barreling waves on a hot summer's day, fish darting beneath you in the clear blue water as you take off and drive the board down the line

Bliss

I agree whole heartedly-I read the book ,as you say very engrossing,and yes it did make me take a look at the value of pursuing wealth.

But (and I am a family man) wouldn't you like to know what it is like to have mega wealth even if it was for just a short time?

I realise in our finite lives we have to make choices about how best to spend our time and some things are obviously more important than others-health,family, turquoise waters etc. but I would love to know that 'money is no object' experience ,even if it was temporary.

In the end I suppose this is what Felix was saying in the book -you start of wanting to Know what it is like, but by the time you have gone through the process of gettin it its too late to have everthing else that is really important.oh well thats that sorted I can go back to watching daytime telly and scrathin my @rse

HOLA444

Yes I read it. It convinced me that being rich is a gilded cage.

I think from reading these posts we are all pretty sound, normal, hardworking folk. Is is status that we are after?

I'm unhappy because of my occupation, which I intend to do something about. I was unlucky enough to invest a large amount of money in training for the ill-fated Home Inspector career. Dennis mentions luck quite a bit - I think the harder you try, the luckier you get! Luck is a fickle dame, Dennis says, pimp her while you can. I agree with that too.

Why do rich people still work? It ain't the money, it's because they love what they do - the next deal (Branson), the next invention (Trevor Bayliss), the next new MP3 or iPhone (Steve Jobs).

Don't chase money, chase success.

Here endeth the lesson.

PS. Learning to dance def. saved me from depression over the last two years.

HOLA445

"How To Get Rich?"

For the next five years

1. Work hard, economise, and minimise debt

2. Go long on food manufacturers, big pharma, tobacco, and Japanese REITs

3. Go short on retailers, car distributors, airlines, and media.

From 2014 to 2024

Reverse all the above positions plus exponentially build a BTL empire on borrowed money.

HOLA446
Thats because anyone who needs to read a book about how to get rich probably doesn't have much of a clue to start with about running a business, no offense guys :P

For anyone with enough business sense the how is obvious, just a matter of finding your niche/ idea. Which I have done and yes I do plan to be rich :lol:

I would say that most people when they start a business, they do make mistakes, some larger than others. Over time people will learn from their mistakes and will build a more successful business. People will also learn over time to run their businesses more efficiently/profitably, this is not really learning from mistakes but is certainly learning from your own experiences.

I do think that you can learn from other businesses around you and it can be very insightful to discuss ways to improve your business with other entrepreneurs, this can save a lot of time.

the "how" may be obvious, but if you can speed up the process becuase the "how" is refined based on what you can learn from books or conversations with like minded people etc, then definetely read or speak to those people.

I would say that most people who start businesses do not know everything about, legal, marketing, PR, sales, development, employment, setting up offices, insurance, accounting etc,

If someone wants to read this book as a manual about how exactly to get rich, they should forget it, the book offers advice from hard learnt experience in how to maximise your business and how to avoid certain problems that can lead to failure.

HOLA447
I like money and want more of it. But only because it brings me the luxury of TIME. Time to spend with my family and friends, time to persue my hobbies and passions.

Clean barreling waves on a hot summer's day, fish darting beneath you in the clear blue water as you take off and drive the board down the line

Bliss

I share your sentiments. My goal is to have enough assets that I never have to think about money again, but there is for me a limit to the sum of wealth required.

A lot of people forget the time bit. Indeed some claim they live for thier work which for me is a very strange concept afterall you have not been alive for trillions of years, and you will soon be dead for trillions more, so the 30,000 days you have on Earth better count.

Who the f*ck wants to work when you have achieved a couple of million in the Bank? Whats the point when a couple of mill allows you to travel and experience most of what life has to offer. Its about enjoying life to the full and recognising the pursuit of gross amounts of wealth is completely meaningless activity not to be admired.

As you say, riding waves, spearfishing or as I did at the weekend an impromtu log hurling competetion - thats living.

HOLA448
HOLA449
Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable
I share your sentiments. My goal is to have enough assets that I never have to think about money again, but there is for me a limit to the sum of wealth required.

A lot of people forget the time bit. Indeed some claim they live for thier work which for me is a very strange concept afterall you have not been alive for trillions of years, and you will soon be dead for trillions more, so the 30,000 days you have on Earth better count.

Who the f*ck wants to work when you have achieved a couple of million in the Bank? Whats the point when a couple of mill allows you to travel and experience most of what life has to offer. Its about enjoying life to the full and recognising the pursuit of gross amounts of wealth is completely meaningless activity not to be admired.

As you say, riding waves, spearfishing or as I did at the weekend an impromtu log hurling competetion - thats living.

I agree. As soon as I have enough money to indulge in impromptu log hurling at any time, I'll know I've made it.

HOLA4410
But (and I am a family man) wouldn't you like to know what it is like to have mega wealth even if it was for just a short time?

I realise in our finite lives we have to make choices about how best to spend our time and some things are obviously more important than others-health,family, turquoise waters etc. but I would love to know that 'money is no object' experience ,even if it was temporary.

sure, that would be a great experience. but being in a happy marriage sort of negates a lot of the good stuff you can do when you are mega-wealthy - threesome and orgies with playboy models, hard drugs, all night parties etc etc. if you have a modicum of conscience, that is.

exactly. a coupla mil is more than enough. why would anybody ever need more ? as it stands with our 9-5's and mortgages we are still 1000 % better off than 99% of the people on the plant, most of whom scratch a living in sweatshops or on small farms. with a mil in the bank, i would consider myself the richest person alive, so to speak.

aaah spearfishing - i had a very healthy and happy relationship with that sport at one time

can't say i was ever much of a dancer though

HOLA4411
I am not about to throw my life down the toilet, sabotage my family life and my health working like a slave in a foolish attempt to get rich. Dennis made it, but I am sure that he is one of a tiny percentage. Millions fall by the wayside.

Indeed, don't be Fooled by Randomness.

As I see it money buys time, freedom and security. And these are things well worth persuing. You also get a little bit of materialistic fun on the side.

Doesn't buy health or youth though, so careful evaluation is needed with regard to these.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
He says throughout money is not worth it and other things are infinitely more valuable.

Made me realise I'll never be rich, and in a good way made me not feel sorry about it.

Sounds like a good book if it gets that message across. I think actually most people here dont want to be rich, they just want a house. Unfortunately right now you have to be rich to have a house!

Its annoying actually because if houses were more affordable Id be happy to sit tight in my job as I enjoy what I do and get paid plenty for my day to day needs. But you gotta keep driving on. Thankfully not long to go now for me, once that house is sorted (through a crash or continued hard work) I'll be looking forward to chilling.

Those that didnt enjoy the benefits of a classical education (yep even in my state school) might want to read up on Epicurus. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epicureanism

Its nice having simple needs. I well recommend it. Not only does it free you from chasing consumerist rubbish but buying a house becomes much easier with large savings and large disposable income.

GL :)

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
I agree. As soon as I have enough money to indulge in impromptu log hurling at any time, I'll know I've made it.

:lol:

What I mean is my brothers and I love meeting up and just kicking back, which usually ends up turning into wierd competitions, wrestling, sea fishing, song writing, curry cook - offs and even home made firework making, but we always feel we never have enough time, and time is perhaps the best thing money provides as long as you agree the purpose is to provide time and not to become grossly rich.