House Price Crash Forum

Saw this post on another (totally unrelated) forum and the answer made me smile.

The Question

Can anyone tell me if it is a good idea to purchase an ex council property to let out.

There seems to be a stigma with these homes, yet i cant help but think they are such good value for money, you seem to get a well built house along with a lot more spase for your money.

Any comments please.

The Answer

Sure, go for it. Do it up a bit and rent it out.

Just a couple of tips for doing it up...put bars over the windows and insulate the walls very well, because the with the house comes the environment....nice brick throwing, noisy neighbours...at least in some of them....

they are cheap for a reason...and maybe not worth the hassle.

Thats a bit of a generalisation as many Council Houses are now in private hands and problem tenants of the old days are kicked out pretty soon these days.

Council Houses are built to a very high spec (The old ones) and with a little bit of imagination can be very nice houses. I certainly would have no problem in living in one myself, in fact I had a very nice one that I rented off the Mile End road when I first left school.

I live (owned) in a 3bed excouncil. Great location and even better neighboards, but even forgetting this two lasts and considering just house by house, I swear I would not leave my house to go to live of one of todays TINY detached houses even if I was given the choice to swap them for free

In fact, one of the reasons I have not moved up the ladder in almost 10 years that I been living in UK is the fact that I simply cant find any "everyday" 3 bed detached house that worth half my home in living value

Maybe I'm a fussy git, but I would not rent an ex council house.

Went viewing properties to rent the other day before finding the flat I've decided on.

Saw an ex council house which was only £5 less than the lovely place we've taken. It still smelt of fags, had disabled ramps front and back. All the work had been very shoddily done. It was a big stinking pile of crap, and even looked terrible from the outside. Add to that some chav style neighbours and its not a pretty picture.

If landlords asked 1/2 the price for en ex council house in a reasonable area with a minimum of chav neighbours then I might be tempted (and if they didn't bodge the DIY). But when they are asking similar to normal market rents for one, why the hell should I consider??

BTL Landlords really are a bunch of muppets. They seem to price the rents based on a dream and a finger in the air. Problem is that the letting agents do the same.

:lol:

Saw an ex council house which was only £5 less than the lovely place we've taken. It still smelt of fags, had disabled ramps front and back. All the work had been very shoddily done. It was a big stinking pile of crap, and even looked terrible from the outside. Add to that some chav style neighbours and its not a pretty picture.

It seems pretty obvious that you are comparing a good non council property/location with a crapy council one. Is that a fair comparation?, should you not compare like by like?

It seems pretty obvious that you are comparing a good non council property/location with a crapy council one. Is that a fair comparation?, should you not compare like by like?

The question is not whether non-FTBer is making a fair comparison, it's whether the landlord of the ex-council house is making a proper comparison of rents between his hole and other properties in the area.

Quite Gilf.

They were both on for circa £600.

One is in a chav neighbourhood, with unkempt gardens, bodged DIY and smelt of fags. Wouldn't want to live there if it was free and the alternative was £1000.

The other is a two year old conversion of an old victorian building, very nicely done. En-suite and second bathroom. Sea views. Walls and fences/gates around the whole development to keep the chavs and skaggies out (Daily Mail style).

Take your £600, what do you choose.

I agree that there may be some ex-council properties to rent, in not-too-bad neighbourhoods, in good condition. But I'd still pay less for them than for this lovely flat. :P

Maybe I'm up my own ar5e, but ex-council is a no-no for me unless it met all my other criteria and was significantly cheaper than other properties on current market.

given the current surplus of quality rental properties in the area, why would I choose ex-council at all, especially at the same price???

</RANT> :P:P:P