House Price Crash Forum

A long term lurker here. This amnesty is a great excuse for my first post.

I am 34, married with two children.

We bought our Council flat in NW3, Camden in 2002. When my daughter was born we decided to rent the flat and bought a 3 bed semi in Colindale in June 2005. That was the only place in NW London we could afford at that time.

I find this forum very informative but sometimes some posters are so extreme in their views it's disturbing.

With regards to the housing market, I believe there will be no crash, prices will drop 5-10% maximun followed by

3-4 years of stagnation.

Edited by PhArAoH
  • Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all.Have lurked for a very long time (Aug 04)Joined this time last year when i STR.Iam usually busy working long hours to post & only have the time to read the most important threads.The problem is most people just dont know whats going to hit them.Many of my friends have been brainwashed about property.I saw the pain last time late 80's early 90's in my own family & its not a pretty sight.From where iam in Wood Green ,North London not much is shifting although small price cuts are being made but this is not enough if you want to shift your house/flat.The houses iam looking at in the Barnet/Herts boarder need at least £100k hair cut to make me bid.So i will be patient & sit on the sidelines until this madness ends.Goodluck to all

Oh well here goes after being a committed lurker since 2005 finally registered last month. Was really good to find a site where the mantra of "property will always go up" was not accepted as gospel. So thanks! I've held off and really like the house I rent but I am going to be moving jobs soon and I'd think I'd like to buy a house rather than rent now...how long should I wait is the 60m $ question??!! I'll go back to lurking now and watch the range of answers for more confusion!

I checked this site infrequently about 2 years ago. We Sold to Rent at the end of 2005. And at times it's been tough keeping the faith. Then about a couple of months ago I re-discovered this site. It was like going downstairs and finding there was a load of Bears having a party in your house that you didn't know about. Awesome. I spent the next week laughing my head off at some of the comments on the forums. I'm now a commited HPC'er struggling to control my addiction.

Can anyone beat my lurking record of a 2004 registration with single digit posts? Actually, I even lurked on the old site in 2003/4! :blink:

I mainly use the site to keep up to date with what is going on in the world. Originally I was only interested in houses, but quickly realised that there was a far bigger picture in play and that house prices were merely a conduit for feeding money supply into the economy. So now use the site on and off to keep an eye on mainly economic threads (e.g. Cgnao / PM treads). Having said that, I viewed a repo'd house this morning, so am not totally disconnected from the housing market...

Should really post more. Sorry! :P

Hi, yes - I too am a lurker (with a smattering of posts). Although I'm a very active lurker! Been looking at this site for about 2-3 years (joined in 2006). In terms of economics etc, I'm probably not knowledgeable or clever enough to make regular posts!

I'm a graduate (31) who is quite content to rent. I've never owned a house and am not sure I ever want to. But I'd like to thank everyone here for giving me a far better insight into finances, economics, the treasury and BOE - something which I'd never have expected to take an interest in. I now make a beeline for the financial section in newspapers and even take a regular look at the FT!! My approach to finances has also taken on a more steely stance. As others have said, friends and family have only recently started to respect my opinions on such matters (much of it informed by this website). A lot of people are now starting to get sweaty palms about their finances. Even if things don't turn out as badly as HPC predicts (which I very much doubt), I'll have learnt an awful lot.

I think what the essence of this website teaches (with all the unnecessary right-wing rubbish taken out), is to think more sensibly about finances, saving and spending. Something they never teach in school. Such advice is vital nowadays with so much financial temptation about.

I've been lurking pretty much on a daily basis since 2003/4.

I sold our small flat in 2001 for 60% more than I (and then boyfriend) had originally paid for it only 18mths before, but due to our break up I did not think about buying (on my own) again until a few years later, when I depressing realised I couldn't afford a shoebox and was better off renting. My Dad was the only sane person who uttered the unimaginable "what if there's a house price crash.." and I googled those 3 magic words and found this brillient site!

Since then it's been my only bear ally in a world of bulls and I have learnt so much. My only contributions here have been anecdotal and alot of the economics info goes above my head, although some has permeated and I am more sussed because of it.

I hope to keep saving (my deposit is eye-wateringly cosmic), buy at the lowest point in the trough (3-4 yrs time?)and might even be mortgage free! Yipppppeeee! However, I do work in the Travel industry which not the safest of jobs in a severe down-turn, altho currently my company (a very reputable award-winning Brand) keeps turning over profits and seems to go from strength to strength. The coming credit crunch may put paid to that?

I've been lurking pretty much on a daily basis since 2003/4.

I sold our small flat in 2001 for 60% more than I (and then boyfriend) had originally paid for it only 18mths before, but due to our break up I did not think about buying (on my own) again until a few years later, when I depressing realised I couldn't afford a shoebox and was better off renting. My Dad was the only sane person who uttered the unimaginable "what if there's a house price crash.." and I googled those 3 magic words and found this brillient site!

Since then it's been my only bear ally in a world of bulls and I have learnt so much. My only contributions here have been anecdotal and alot of the economics info goes above my head, although some has permeated and I am more sussed because of it.

I hope to keep saving (my deposit is eye-wateringly cosmic), buy at the lowest point in the trough (3-4 yrs time?)and might even be mortgage free! Yipppppeeee! However, I do work in the Travel industry which not the safest of jobs in a severe down-turn, altho currently my company (a very reputable award-winning Brand) keeps turning over profits and seems to go from strength to strength. The coming credit crunch may put paid to that?

I would not worry about the travel industry when the credit crunch arrives I think your job will be safe. I too would like to buy a house in the UK - mortgage free. However the big question is when to buy? Two years there was to be a house crash which never arrived. If it does and property is even 40% cheaper than it is today it does not really constitute a crash in my mind. The best place to consider buying at the moment is somewhere in eastern europe. http://www.hiday.net/

Hi All

Professional interest through regeneration has led me to research housing market.

HPC charts clearly denote vulnerability of sector and could reasonably call a 'correction'.

For me, further market study has revealed alarming co-relation between governmental lending policies, the housing market, fiat lending and peak oil (general resource depletion). Fear has stalked my conscience ever since. I (and my spouse) have enjoyed life but I (we) fear for our progeny.

Doom & gloom aside I have lurked here for a good 18 months (I have been a property market skeptic for at least 5 years trying to regenerate old industrial areas).

Am happy to be amongst fellow realists....

Good luck everyone.

S

Big virtual round of applause for all you lurkers who have come forward They say admitting you’re a lurker is the first step. Just take it one post at a time.

The rest of you lurkers come forward, HPC is like a big ship, by coming forward you will feel safe and warm when the crash comes. Mind you its already here so your feet are already wet. HURRY THERES NOT MUCH TIME! :o

Now this has got to stop...informative as this site is, coupled with its savagery , minimal empathy, top draw comedy...you cant start building HPC into this millennium fecking ARK.......

"The savers came in two by two, hurrah hurrah, the savers came in two by two hurrah hurrah."

"The savers came in two by two....they all wanted a crash to monopolize their cash" etc etc

However the big question is when to buy? Two years there was to be a house crash which never arrived. If it does and property is even 40% cheaper than it is today it does not really constitute a crash in my mind. The best place to consider buying at the moment is somewhere in eastern europe. http://www.hiday.net/

John84, thanks for the reply. Gawd, no way am I buying abroad. My purchase will be a home to live in, not an investment vehicle.

The phones at work are currently abit quieter, but that's normal with everyone now focused on the Xmas consumer-spending spree. Silly season starts January-March when we are at our busiest, booking holidays for next summer.

What to you constitutes a crash? :unsure:

I've been lurking here for ages - it's a great site. It keeps me from becoming too p*ssed off that I spent five years in Oz & NZ while property prices were going beyond my reach.

Never mind - I have a good income, I'm debt free, pay a manageable rent and it looks like my patience might pay off over the coming years...

Been lurking for a while, maybe added the odd troll post - hoping to realise Godwin's Law someday as have nothing better to do. Seriously though, I consider a lot of the other posts to be very useful and find it quite amusing how the financial world works. Seems a bit like a dysfunctional family at times (an elitist one granted) ruled over by a few Scroogy McDuck types whom I rightly envy.

Don’t care if you’re a bull or a bear just if you’re a lurker

Lurked for a year before joining recently.

Find the various economics comments particularly interesting. Also appreciate the comments of those sharing their own personal experiences of prior HPCs.

Edited by RockingHorse

Hi all, posted a few times quite a while ago but find the aggression a bit daunting at times so reverted to lurking. As an ex EA I decided to post today on the honest EA thread, so thought I'd say hello here too, though not sure if I will go back to lurking again.

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a while now - learned a fair bit reading all the info here, but the catastrophist (is that a word?) posts get me down sometimes :ph34r:

Don't post much as the aggression/attitude of many posters more knowledgeable than myself is somewhat intimidating. I'd rather read an try to gain a better understanding of all the issues.

Thanks for all the info, roll on crash. Hope I still have a job after it's all over. :unsure:

Lurked for about 6 months now.

My wife and I are currently DINKY and both in our early 30's. We would love to own our own home, start a family, etc. and could afford a 2-bed flat okay, maybe even stretch to a small house (which we nearly did this summer, but thank goodness our offer was rejected).

Considering the costs (not much change out of 10k once you've paid mortgage fees, stamp duty, legals, etc) we figure there's not much point buying somewhere that we'd be looking to move on from if/when the family grows. Looking a prices round here (Epsom), there's not too much chance of us being able to afford a family home until an HPC has done its job.

So I guess that's our lives on hold for another year or two then... in the meanwhile, we're saving a packet by renting, and are living pretty frugally so that we'll hopefully have a decent deposit in the post-crash market.

I'll go back to lurking now, but will post if I think I've actually got something worthwhile to say...

Lurker for 18 months.

Made a couple of posts but feel I still have too little knowledge to be able to spar with the best on here.

Took a beating in GC1 -ve equity for 11 years. Will do an anecdotal sometime. It may be interesting (really!!!). Now divorced, no house but some deposit. Waiting for the right time. Getting a bit old though to start again.

Folk here help keep my logic straight!