House Price Crash Forum

The Truth About This Site

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen such a load of [email protected] as I have done on this site.

I am a first-time buyer, and I am struggling to get on the property ladder. So it is very much in my interests for the housing market to 'crash'. But the truth is that no-one knows what the housing market is going to do. Yes, it may go down a little bit in the short term, yes it may go down a lot in the medium term, yes it might continue to go up.

Nobody knows. That's the point. What I do know however is that this site is (in my opinion) targeted at one thing, and one thing only - predicting a major house price crash. So much so that indications to suggest that the housing market is not going to crash are largely dismissed, or not even mentioned in the first place.

Any decent site would be balanced, and would offer material in a manner that weighs out the pros, and the cons, of any particular argument or point of view. Any site which starts off with the objective of proving one thing alone (a house price crash in this instance) is off to a false start.

In my view, the contents and purpose of this site is nothing but to inflict doom and gloom on those who are already on the housing ladder, and to mislead and give false hopes to those who aren't. And those who regularly post on this site with the same targeted views are just as naive and blinkered as the editors.

Get a life people - stop feeling sorry for yourselves, find something to be optimistic about, and stop inflicting your armageddon doom and gloom on the rest of us.

(And I bet my views above are vetted and not even posted on the site in the first place)

I'm only guessing but I bet you really did'nt mean to put bear as your market expectations, or did you?

Edited by Flat Bear
Someone with a similar name Newhomebuyer made a 2nd post today around 10.30. It was the sickest post I have ever read on this site (60% off house price). I was pleased to see the only one that had bothered to answer said the poster should be on the sex offenders register, before the mods deleted the thread. I suspect you are in cahoots with the other or the same person. Now p*ss off.

Get a life people - stop feeling sorry for yourselves, find something to be optimistic about, and stop inflicting your armageddon doom and gloom on the rest of us.

ok... that sorts it if the post was as sick as you say the only person it can be is bruno. Looking back at the OP,its written an a Bruno style, even the username is Bruno like. The lack of changing letter sizes and repeated words, seems to have fooled us...

Edited by moosetea

A balance argument is not always giving 2 opposing points of view the same 'air time'. 90%+ of Scientist agree that Global Warming is happening and influenced by man. Now out of this 90% some believe we are heading for a complete disaster and others thing the effects will be a lot milder. Now do you when discussing Global Warming give 90% of Scientist 50% of the Time and the other 50% of time to David Belamy for example. That isn't a balanced debate because the debate has moved on from pure yes or no.

Now in relation to houses, they are overvalued, by how much is anybodies guess. They may not crash, but in all probability they will. This site is based on the most probable scenario (at least in our eyes) that there will be a crash. I suggest going else where if you want to be in the majority such as the C4 forums.

Are you by any chance a wig owning Youtube enthusiast?

Here is a clue, if you are going to play at being a "random punter" you are going to have to work a bit harder on varying your writing style.

The title was an absolute give away, you have no excuses there, no first-poster would ever write that.

The other thing is the opening was rather too pat and there is more than one contradiction in what you wrote; the character that wrote the opening paragraph would not have written the second.

And to be honest:

"I am a first-time buyer, and I am struggling to get on the property ladder. So it is very much in my interests for the housing market to 'crash'."

reminds me of that episode of The Simpsons where Homer is pretending to be someone else to get into Moes after being barred.

Must Try Harder.

Actually don't, get help, you must see that this situation is very unhealthy.

Edited by Cogs
I have never seen such a load of [email protected] as I have done on this site.

I am a first-time buyer, and I am struggling to get on the property ladder. So it is very much in my interests for the housing market to 'crash'. But the truth is that no-one knows what the housing market is going to do. Yes, it may go down a little bit in the short term, yes it may go down a lot in the medium term, yes it might continue to go up.

Nobody knows. That's the point. What I do know however is that this site is (in my opinion) targeted at one thing, and one thing only - predicting a major house price crash. So much so that indications to suggest that the housing market is not going to crash are largely dismissed, or not even mentioned in the first place.

Any decent site would be balanced, and would offer material in a manner that weighs out the pros, and the cons, of any particular argument or point of view. Any site which starts off with the objective of proving one thing alone (a house price crash in this instance) is off to a false start.

In my view, the contents and purpose of this site is nothing but to inflict doom and gloom on those who are already on the housing ladder, and to mislead and give false hopes to those who aren't. And those who regularly post on this site with the same targeted views are just as naive and blinkered as the editors.

As someone who has been reading this forum for just over a year now I'd say the lack of 'balanced viewpoint' isn't so much as it's always beeen discouraged or ignored, but more down to the fact that, as the worldwide economy has started to turn a lot of the bullish members have either left or gone quiet.

As you will have seen, I'm sure, when folks come on here telling us that they are thinking of buying they do, for the most part get balanced and sympathetic advise.

Yes there are doom mongers as you will find on any public forum but the one thing that keeps me here is the chance to learn something about how economies work, and how this affects the housing market. This alone has helped me to decide to wait and see where things are headed and make such important decisions as taking out the biggest debt commitment I will ever have a more informed decision.

And, alas I'm old enough to have seen recessions before and realise they are part of the economic cycle. I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemiys dog, but I do think we are ripe for one.

(And I bet my views above are vetted and not even posted on the site in the first place)

but thats the whole point, we HAVEN't been here before.

in 2005 they were pushing as many mortgages onto as many under qualified people as they could.

Those days are done. If nothing else, just restoring the bank lending standards to pre-boom levels in itself guarantees a crash, as it was only lax lending that allowed prices to get so high in the first place.

I see what you mean here to be fair (and my original post was on reflection a little ott so apologies for that). Certainly if lenders reverted to a strict 3.5 single / 2.75 joint multiple (with say a minimum 130% rental cover calculation in the case of BTL), then yes this would in itself bring prices down considerably.

The problem with that train of thought is that so far, this hasn't really happened. Certainly if you are on the margins (bad credit etc), then things have become more difficult recently. However, for "prime" borrowers, conditions haven't tightened anywhere near as much as some on here seem to think. To test this, I went though a few of the main lenders websites only the other day, using my (and my better half's) own circumstances as a benchmark (we both earn decent but unexceptional salaries, with good credit histories).

To my surprise, there were still no shortage of lenders happy to lend in the region of 4.5x JOINT income, suggesting that the credit crunch hasn't impacted on the ability of "prime" borrowers to raise silly amounts of money. Yes the reduced supply of money for those with difficulties will act as a brake on the market, but so far things haven't changed that much for those without such issues. Naturally if they do, then the picture is very different, but at this stage I think that the comparison with 2004/5 is a valid one, and we are in a largely similar situation.

• 8 months later...