House Price Crash Forum

Peeling Paint........

Rented a house for a year, the bathroom was average size and no extractor fan; because of condensation the very thin layer of paint on the ceiling started to peel and curl in three or four parts, no more than 4 inches each in lenght and half in width. When the inventory check girl came she told the landord that it was wear and tear and she should have an extractor put in place. The landlord is now contesting that and wants 75 quid for it.

When it came to the cleaning the inventory lady said the house needed no cleaning and wrote so on her papers, the landlord wants now 30 quid for some sort of cleaning.

Where do I stand? Where can I go to get some info and shut his greedy mouth?

He also wants 100 quid for revarnishing a drawer, can I ask him to see the quote?

He also want 35 quid for a shower curtain.....can I offer the original? The original costs 5 pounds

If I go and kick his head in, will he come to compromise?

Many thanks for your time.

Rented a house for a year, the bathroom was average size and no extractor fan; because of condensation the very thin layer of paint on the ceiling started to peel and curl in three or four parts, no more than 4 inches each in lenght and half in width. When the inventory check girl came she told the landord that it was wear and tear and she should have an extractor put in place. The landlord is now contesting that and wants 75 quid for it.

When it came to the cleaning the inventory lady said the house needed no cleaning and wrote so on her papers, the landlord wants now 30 quid for some sort of cleaning.

Where do I stand? Where can I go to get some info and shut his greedy mouth?

He also wants 100 quid for revarnishing a drawer, can I ask him to see the quote?

He also want 35 quid for a shower curtain.....can I offer the original? The original costs 5 pounds

If I go and kick his head in, will he come to compromise?

Many thanks for your time.

If you have to pay up in the end you can at least get the "warm glow" revenge by reporting it to the Environmental Health Officer & requesting an HHSR visit. This will cause your landlord a whole load of expensive grief, and they will make him cure the condensation and damp or slap a no-can-let notice on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Your contract is with the letting agency, not with the landlord. The LA signed papers to say no cleaning was required, if the LL disagrees with this he should take it up with the LA, not with you. Refuse to pay the £30 cleaning charge on the basis that the LA signed to say that no cleaning was required - how do you know the property didn't get dirty after you vacated it? It was perfectly clean on the day the LA signed those papers, whatever condition it's in at a later date is nothing to do with you.

Any repairs done during the tenancy are not your responsibility - if he wanted money he should have mentioned it at the time. The LA will have papers to say that during the inventory check she decided an extractor was required - you didn't request it so you don't pay for it.

You are entitled to receive a proper receipt for any repairs that are necessary (varnishing drawers or whatever). If he buys a new shower curtain he must provide a till receipt, and you can complain if he buys the most expensive thing - he can only replace like-for-like, he can't get himself a top of the range curtain with your money. He can only charge you the amount written on the receipts, not a penny more. Most importantly he CAN NOT charge you for any work he does himself. Cleaning has to be done by a cleaner and a receipt must be provided, repairs have to be done by a proper person and a receipt must be provided, etc. Although if the inventory check doesn't say that these repairs/replacements are necessary then the LL hasn't got a leg to stand on anyway, if the LA signed to say that no repairs are required and the property is in good condition then that has to stand, the LL can't moan afterwards that actually x and y need fixing. If he disagrees with the LA's decision that no repairs are required he should take it up with her, not with you.

Stick to your guns, say that the LA signed off your inventory and as far as you're concerned that's that, any issues the LL has with how the LA has done her job (e.g. if he disagrees with her assessment that the property is in reasonable condition and requires no repairs) then he should discuss it with her and leave you out of it. If it goes to court the judge will look at your signed-off inventory and give the LL a telling off for wasting his time.