House Price Crash Forum

my personal income is on the rise.

it all depends on what you do for a living. you just have an old fashioned job. IT was the in thing. now theres strong amounts of competition. if your in IT prepare to have to tread water and keep on a steep learning curve all of your working life.

no woner ex -T consultants retrain as plumbers. you only have to learn plumbing once.

there isnt steel pipe version 2.11 or a patch for a monkey wrench.

nope. a simple life is a longer one.

Yes this rings very true with me....I don't consider myself to be hard-done-by by any stretch, but finding, at 36, I find I have to take on more and more responsibility (IT Architect/dev manager) whilst averaging 3% raises each year.

Competition is coming (in my sector) in a big way from Indian offshoring, what's more they are pretty damn good (education/skills) and work very hard. A change of employer within IT will without doubt = a pay cut for me.

At 36 the thought (I don't know what the reality would be like) of driving around in an Astra van doing plumbing, wiring, gas or drains earning half as much as now has a lot of appeal. :rolleyes:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TMT, what is your area of expertise? As my area (J2EE Software Dev) has really picked up in a big way over the last 6-12 months. I've even been surprised by the fact that the number UK jobs in this area are picking up massively despite the fact there is a lot of offshoring going on.

Technical Architect - expected to know everything about everything. :o

At 36 the thought (I don't know what the reality would be like) of driving around in an Astra van doing plumbing, wiring, gas or drains earning half as much as now has a lot of appeal. 

I am 39 and am seriously looking for a way out of IT. It appeals to me also and many senior IT guys I know have quit to go and open cases, go into teaching or nursing. This current boom might be the last one so it might be worth trying to take advantage of it but I would quite happily earn half as much if I could work fairly close to home and not be on such an endless learning curve.

I work in the IT industry which, after 3 or 4 terrible years, is now apparently in an era of a shortage of skilled people. What I do is supposed to be the number one skill demand in the current market BUT... I am not seeing any wage/rate increases... in fact, the rates on offer today are LESS than I was earning last year and at the end of 2003.... and less than I was earning in 2001.

Now, this week I have read reports both about a supposed skills shortage across the UK and UK companies unable to get good, skilled workers. I also read a report, from the BOE I think, that mentioned wage inflation and the pressure it was causing on the UK economy so...

Who exactly is having these wage increases????

"Who exactly is having these wage increases????"

ME :P

Technical Architect - expected to know everything about everything.  :o

I am 39 and am seriously looking for a way out of IT. It appeals to me also and many senior IT guys I know have quit to go and open cases, go into teaching or nursing. This current boom might be the last one so it might be worth trying to take advantage of it but I would quite happily earn half as much if I could work fairly close to home and not be on such an endless learning curve.

I am 36 and a Software Developer (and co-owner of a company with 20 employees) and understand why you would do a job with less money to be nearer home. This why we set up the company we are now in. (as well as us the taxation sytem as best as we are able) I to intend to teach (in my subject area) in 10 years or so as I cannot see my brain being able to absorb all the new technology every few years,

For example

Assmebly Programming\DOS

Pascal

Turbo C

Borland C++

Visual C++/MFC

VB

COM/DCOM/RPC et al

and now

.NET

However I think it is a little bit nieve for people to think that it is easy to re-train into something completely different. Plummers and any of the other trades work quite hard for the money and many of the nancy boy IT people would not be able to hack it. (present company excluded - of course). I originally trained as an Electrician before going to college and then university - so I have seen both sides of the camp.

People should never throw away the skills they have and should adpat not just throw the towel in, unless of course you dont need the money as you will be starting on the bottom.

And every trade / profession has intense competition, including medical doctors.

I agree. I am now hoping to target the SME with my skillsets as I simply cannot absorb the vast amounts of info I need to year after year on:

The entire Microsoft server suite

The entire Cisco range of hardware

Citrix

Numerous other bespoke hardware and software solutions from Checkpoint, Veritas, Vonage, Nokia, etc, etc.

I get calls for contracts where they ask the most arcane question or expect to do 'tests' at interviews, ignoring the vast projects on your CV already undertaken successfully, to proove that you can do what you claim. It is a bit like asking Sir Norman Foster to know everything about the buildings he designs. Basically, totally unrealistic expectations from middle managers who simply do not understand IT.

I agree about the people in IT who say they wish to become plumbers or sparks - they have little undersanding of how difficult those roles are - and I certainly would not wish to do alot of the hard manual work they have to do day in day out. It is horses for courses though and I think the UK IT market is going to see alot more good IT people opt out of the contracting regime into trying to build up some kind of 'real' business targeting numerous clients.

Crazy88 and TMT good to read your posts....nice to see it's not just me with this IT-mid-life-UK-doesn't-need-me-with-India-here-fed-up-of-commuting-Career-crises!

Yep appreciate starting at the bottom of a new trade is not as easy as it may sound and my "driving around in an Astra van" may be somewhat rose-tinted.....and also personaly considering teaching too.

I now understand why BTL sounded to so many people, like the perfect solution to a life of financial freedom without stress - :blink: glad I didn't join their ranks tho!

I am have been off from work, self-employed, since August with a stress induced ulcer after working on a 14 month 'mad' project for LogicaCMG. I would not contract for them ever again. The demands of corporate IT now is frightening and has had serious reprecussions on my health. Sad to say, I am hearing more and more stories of IT people having the same problems.

I am fortunate in that I have enough cash put aside to opt out of contracting and target the SME market this year. If it works, I could have a viable business within a 50 mile radius. If not, I think I will aim to retrain completely in a non-IT field and aim to be someone who can work and live within a 15 mile radius of home with some kind of 'cash-in-hand' business.

If it is any help, many are having this mid-life IT crisis.

Guest Charlie The Tramp

I was self employed as a partner in a business for 20 years. If customers tried to cut my qoute to the bone, I would tell them in plain language to get knotted. Always found that every job you lost, you would gain another two. Many of these price cutters came back in the end asking you to sort out the mess left by their accepted cheaper qoutes. Always cost them more at the end of the day, as I always told them, you only get what you pay for. :D

The Public Sector , the bureaucrats by any chance?

My brother works in the NHS in IT and just got a 40% payrise (thru a promotion).

Partly well deserved as he was underpaid compared to IT professionals outside of the NHS, but now he's probably overpaid.

My best mates missus works in admin/management in the NHS, just got a 30% payrise. She is completely crap at her job, it was one of those 'it aint what you know, but who you know' type promotions.

My brothers girlfried works in the NHS, just got a £10k payrise last year (about 33%) - again, a promotion.

Another of my mates works for social services in North London, got a £10k (again, about 33%) payrise last year.

I agree. I am now hoping to target the SME with my skillsets as I simply cannot absorb the vast amounts of info I need to year after year on:

The entire Microsoft server suite

The entire Cisco range of hardware

Citrix

Numerous other bespoke hardware and software solutions from Checkpoint, Veritas, Vonage, Nokia, etc, etc.

I get calls for contracts where they ask the most arcane question or expect to do 'tests' at interviews, ignoring the vast projects on your CV already undertaken successfully, to proove that you can do what you claim. It is a bit like asking Sir Norman Foster to know everything about the buildings he designs. Basically, totally unrealistic expectations from middle managers who simply do not understand IT.

I agree about the people in IT who say they wish to become plumbers or sparks - they have little undersanding of how difficult those roles are - and I certainly would not wish to do alot of the hard manual work they have to do day in day out. It is horses for courses though and I think the UK IT market is going to see alot more good IT people opt out of the contracting regime into trying to build up some kind of 'real' business targeting numerous clients.

I had to set one of these tests for candidates, simple programming. The person I took on fared worse but had the best 'not a nerd' personality. In fact he was a mechanical engineer who we have now trained to be a very compitant software engineer.

I think with your SME plan you are on the right track, just have a good business plan and above all else confidance. I personally think it helps if you start you business with partners. There are 6 in my company and in a bizare kind of way that large number means we dont fight.

Crazy88 and TMT good to read your posts....nice to see it's not just me with this IT-mid-life-UK-doesn't-need-me-with-India-here-fed-up-of-commuting-Career-crises!

Yep appreciate starting at the bottom of a new trade is not as easy as it may sound and my "driving around in an Astra van" may be somewhat rose-tinted.....and also personaly considering teaching too.

I now understand why BTL sounded to so many people, like the perfect solution to a life of financial freedom without stress -  :blink: glad I didn't join their ranks tho!

If you are not too old then you can re-train. If you dont have family life bagage then it is also more likely to be a succesful transition.

What is your current IT discipline?

My brother works in the NHS in IT and just got a 40% payrise (thru a promotion).

Partly well deserved as he was underpaid compared to IT professionals outside of the NHS, but now he's probably overpaid.

My best mates missus works in admin/management in the NHS, just got a 30% payrise.  She is completely crap at her job, it was one of those 'it aint what you know, but who you know' type promotions.

My brothers girlfried works in the NHS, just got a £10k payrise last year (about 33%) - again, a promotion.

Another of my mates works for social services in North London, got a £10k (again, about 33%) payrise last year.

I hear what you're saying Mr Bear. What nu labour have done to the NHS is throw money at it, invest in a whole heap of new ideas, and then try and control it all from whitehall.

A consultant should be able to have a good secretary on a salary that is appropriate, i.e. probably commercial rates, maybe low-ish given the various perks, epsecially the good pension. my mrs has had plenty of bad experiences with poor quality HR staff as well.

Sadly, while these staff have probably had some appropriate pay rises, there has been too many instances where additional non-essential staff have been employed who do sweet FA.

Was at lunch with a another mate who's a doctor, he told me the story of how, when at an A&E department, loads of nurses and receptionists were congraulating themselves on avoiding a "breach"; no, nothing to do with cleanliness or infection, they had just managed to move someone into another sub-department before the 4 hour waiting period had expired...

The NHS does need to be effectively privatised; make all hospitals foundations, and let the doctors run them. some sort of graduate scheme for managers as well, rather than just promoting nurses no one else likes.

I work in design of plumbing. Steel pipe known as barrel is still used extensively in larger projects.

As for the new building regulations on electrics part p (i think but could be wrong) you will need planning permission to carry out certain electrical works on domestic premises. This stipulation is especially for kitchens. I went to a seminar recently and even the building control guys did not know what to do with the impact of the new regs, or how they were going to enforce this. However if you use an NIECE approved electrician I think it negates the problem.

basically the government is trying to improve the statistics on accidents and electical fires. As usual it has been done in a ham fisted way.

I work in design of plumbing. Steel pipe known as barrel is still used extensively in larger projects.

As for the new building regulations on electrics part p (i think but could be wrong) you will need planning permission to carry out certain electrical works on domestic premises. This stipulation is especially for kitchens. I went to a seminar recently and even the building control guys did not know what to do with the impact of the new regs, or how they were going to enforce this. However if you use an NIECE approved electrician I think it negates the problem.

basically the government is trying to improve the statistics on accidents and electical fires. As usual it has been done in a ham fisted way.

Yes, anything over and above a very minor change - replacement of a socket or single cable will require either self-certified installation by a paid up member or firm of a recognised organisation or plans submitted to for building regs approval and then inspection.

As far as I see it it there is a real problem in how you actually get new electricians into work - without couple of C&G courses and work to inspect you cannot get certified, you can't work unless you are certified - unless you go down the building control route, then what about insurance? A fine mess.

I got a 25% pay increase for changing jobs over the summer. This was partly helped by gaining a qualification. I work in accounts so there is a structured route upwards if I can be bothered to put in the hours and study whilst I work. Annual reviews at the new company are in April, it is expected we will cost of living payrises (the first in 4 years) but nothing more. I have been told there is an incentive to pass my exam in the summer but they've not told me what!