House Price Crash Forum

We seem to be losing our sense of Humour Rich, I could read through it and I agree with you. The current state of the UK where the very word Race is now taboo has done much harm in trying to get communities to integrate. Smoke and Mirrors by the Labour Government. I personally think we should now shut the doors we have a full house.

The fact is, there are well trained and well educated guys in India who will work for far less money than IT Professionals / Call Centre staff in the UK. Nothing to do with race, its a fact of life.

In the case of IT Professionals we have the choice of using resources in India, or shipping those resources over to the UK.

On the above Basis I then propose that we legalise child workers in the UK to fend off the comptetive edge India has.

Face facts, they dont have the cost burdens of UK Taxes, Business Rates, Employee Rights, Holiday Pay, Sick Pay, and they dont have a maximum working week. In other words they are allowed to compete with us in the UK (Even though the business is UK business funded by UK consumers) on an unlevel playing field.

We should tax the hell out of businesses that take UK revenue and staff abroad simple as that. Inida has not opened its markets despite all the gifts it is getting from Tony Blair courtesy of the UK Taxpayer, in addition India places massive imports duties on goods from the West.

If we had any backbone the consumers of the UK would boycott all companies outsourcing to Inida. The lets see where their sentiments lay when they have no shareholders.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my personal income is on the rise.

it all depends on what you do for a living. you just have an old fashioned job. IT was the in thing. now theres strong amounts of competition. if your in IT prepare to have to tread water and keep on a steep learning curve all of your working life.

no woner ex -T consultants retrain as plumbers. you only have to learn plumbing once.

there isnt steel pipe version 2.11 or a patch for a monkey wrench.

nope. a simple life is a longer one.

They don't use steel pipes anymore!!!

Is it true that you can't do your own plumbing and electrics? My dad has done it for years, better standard than some of the bodges I have seen by so called "professionals".

I guess he won't be inviting trading standards round for a cuppa, mind...

Is it true that you can't do your own plumbing and electrics? My dad has done it for years, better standard than some of the bodges I have seen by so called "professionals".

I guess he won't be inviting trading standards round for a cuppa, mind...

Maybe that's the house price crash trigger - the new regulations on going your own electrics. :o I think you can do the plumbing yourself still.

The only piece of electrical work I won't do is fitting a new consumer unit if there is no way of isolating the tails to it. I called in a so-called professional who kept asking me "can you see what colour that wire is son?". The only part of the job that I didn't eventually re-do was the tails from the meter to the consumer unit itself. I think he managed to wire up one ring correctly out of the 5 he initially paired off!

However, nowadays this bloke can certify his own work, yet I have to get someone to certify it for me. :angry:

And back to the main topic - fixed 3.75% across the company this year after 4 consectutive years of sub-rpi awards. It took the threat of union action though to get management to change the initial offer of 4% followed by 3 years at 3% regardless of what RPI does. That 4% for this year may seem respectable, but it came with the condition that all overtime became unpaid! There are a lot of people whose salaries are ~15k in "professional" roles that this would have affected.

Seeing the inflation figures creep up makes that original offer look even worse.

Looks like we are returning to 1980, over the hill at 35.

Wait until all those East Europeans take your job at half the salary.

It appears to be happening in the German Labour Market.

You adore Unions and Unions adore cost creating regulations.

Of course this will lead to enivatable employment flight, but, er, at least those left with a job in the UK get wheelchair ramps and are able to sue for stress easily. Bless.

Thanks AB - this is the kind of evidence I was looking for. I believe wage inflation that even matches true inflation is practically non-existent for the majority of the UK workforce. With the extra tax burdons placed on us by Labour it isn't just rising IRs needed to create a HPC, I believe that people are on average have been financially squashed and there can't be much left to squeeze out.

UK is in love with burdensome regulations each one of which involves time and money to implement. I run my own business and am swamped with rules and regs that I simply didnt have 10 years ago.

When a Union leader says on BBC Question Time 'surely every British worker deserves the very best rights & protections available' most people applaud.

Well, the consequences of all this indulgence is COST.

You cant have your pie and eat it.

New Labour dont see the bigger picture. Arnie Swartzenegger is undertaking a root and branch regulation cull in California. Thats what we need folks. There is no alternative.

If u vote Lib Dem or Labour, regulations will simply spread like a disease.

I work in the IT industry which, after 3 or 4 terrible years, is now apparently in an era of a shortage of skilled people. What I do is supposed to be the number one skill demand in the current market BUT... I am not seeing any wage/rate increases... in fact, the rates on offer today are LESS than I was earning last year and at the end of 2003.... and less than I was earning in 2001.

Now, this week I have read reports both about a supposed skills shortage across the UK and UK companies unable to get good, skilled workers. I also read a report, from the BOE I think, that mentioned wage inflation and the pressure it was causing on the UK economy so...

Who exactly is having these wage increases????

Guest Charlie The Tramp
UK is in love with burdensome regulations each one of which involves time and money to implement. I run my own business and am swamped with rules and regs that I simply didnt have 10 years ago.

The Uk does what the EU tells them, and the EU love burdensome regulations.

If u vote Lib Dem or Labour, regulations will simply spread like a disease

So the Tories are going to withdraw completely from the EU? That`s news to me.

The Public Sector , the bureaucrats by any chance?

Yes, undoubtedly. And, boy, was it galling to see them threatening to go on strike yesterday over the increase of their retirement age from 60 to 65.

I am self-employed and have to rely on the likes of shares invested with people like Equitable Life and having the Gordon Browns of this world change the self-employed pension rules all the time. The Public Sector employees have their nice final salary schemes, do hardly any work from what I can tell and let they whinge whinge whinge about their salaries, their holidays and their pensions.

In my part of the World just a few months ago they even complained about having to work hard!!! I kid you not!

The Uk does what the EU tells them, and the EU love burdensome regulations.

All lefties, Liberals and Unions crave regulation. They fundamentally believe Government / Officals know best and must control as much as possible.

I as a right winger fundamentally beleive that if we swept all but the most important regulations (eg - keep some Health & Safety) aside and let people free, our natural ingenuity would lead to an industrial rennaisance and wealth would be created.

Even Thatcher allowed too much regulation.

As for the EU, England & particularly Scotland follow petty rules to the letter. On a recent trip to Greece it was apparent that rules are largely not implemented, as they prefer more jobs to less jobs with more regs.

I too want to know who are having these big wage increases, ain't happening above inflation in my neck of the public sector.

Last 4 years had below inflation increases, and nothing else, even though my team have been highly effective and increased productivity.

Don't believe the press hype about overpaid and underworked public sector workers. Not that way for me or most of those I work with.

Not complaining, just adding to the debate.

i work for a government department and under the last pay deal spanning 5 years (ending august 05) we get 4.5% a year.

2.5% of this is purely inflationary and the further amount is used to reflect experience gained year on year. As im a graduate trainee, for the next two years im only entitled to the inflationary part which is dissapointing as im starting to fall behind my peers in the private sector.

Will be very interesting to see what our next pay deal entails.

Isn't ironicism worse than racism nowadays? Not sure if it's worse to be ironic or to persecute someone for being ironic. I do know it's certainly a criminal act to respond to an ironic comment with another ironic comment that is intended to be funny.

Anyway, some of us have seen Charlie performing a flying kick and it's a sight that we will remember forever. It is rumoured that one punch would instantly SMASH every bone in your body and you would be lying SHATTERED on the floor like a bag of bits.

Public sector getting vast amounts of money?

I'm a teacher earning £21636.

My pay rise next year?  An inflation busting 2.5%...

It seems to me that there are more people being employed by the public sector now than at any time over the last 20 years.

Not my opinion - however I have heard it said, that The Gov and Local Authorities have taken on many and in effect reduced the Uks unemployment stats.

There is no doubt that many do a good job and deserve decent pay rises, but the overall cost of the public sector now must be huge, and huge taxes must be paid from the entrepreneurial sector (those that create) to pay for this red tape. This extra tax can only then be sustainable if we continue to increase our GDP, i.e. produce more. If the economy becomes stifled, then we will suffer entrepreneurs and business going abroad which leaves an unhealthy balance.

So where are these reported figures coming from then, who are getting these payrises or is just another example of the tripe the papers come up with just to sell them?

Guest absolutezero
It seems to me that there are more people being employed by the public sector now than at any time over the last 20 years.

Not my opinion - however I have heard it said, that The Gov and Local Authorities have taken on many and in effect reduced the Uks unemployment stats.

There is no doubt that many do a good job and deserve decent pay rises, but the overall cost of the public sector now must be huge, and huge taxes must be paid from the entrepreneurial sector (those that create) to pay for this red tape. This extra tax can only then be sustainable if we continue to increase our GDP, i.e. produce more. If the economy becomes stifled, then we will suffer entrepreneurs and business going abroad which leaves an unhealthy balance.

So where are these reported figures coming from then, who are getting these payrises or is just another example of the tripe the papers come up with just to sell them?

Surely jobs are being exported abroad.

Why employ a call centre operative at, say, £15000 a year here when you can employ someone in India to do the same job for, say, £3000 a year?

Similar with manufacturing.

I get the distinct impression there is a big recession coming.

I have seen the future and it is not bright (nor Orange for that matter).....

I am always the eternal optimist (although you may not believe it) but I agree that all this stuff at the moment is not sitting comfortably with me.

Only time will tell but the things that concern me at the moment are as follows.

- huge change in attitude over the last few years to taking on debt (sunsidised by equity release ?)

- large tax increases (mostly stealth)

- huge increases in regulation (you can't pick your nose now without being certified)

- growing apathy from most of the population (what are the turnout figures going to be like at the next General Election?)

- People not saving as much as before

- Increases in Public Sector Debt

- Increases in those employed by the State

Apart from that I'm quite happy!!

Guest Charlie The Tramp
Isn't ironicism worse than racism nowadays?

Anyway, some of us have seen Charlie performing a flying kick and it's a sight that we will remember forever. It is rumoured that one punch would instantly SMASH every bone in your body and you would be lying SHATTERED on the floor like a bag of bits.

Having exchanged PMs, RichM now understands the reason for my flying kick.

I must be getting old not thinking how somebody on the right ( lets say centre ) could have wooly liberal minded ideals. Having witnessed brainclamp pulled through the mill, I responded without due thought. :rolleyes:

Yes, undoubtedly. And, boy, was it galling to see them threatening to go on strike yesterday over the increase of their retirement age from 60 to 65.

I am self-employed and have to rely on the likes of shares invested with people like Equitable Life and having the Gordon Browns of this world change the self-employed pension rules all the time. The Public Sector employees have their nice final salary schemes, do hardly any work from what I can tell and let they whinge whinge whinge about their salaries, their holidays and their pensions.

In my part of the World just a few months ago they even complained about having to work hard!!! I kid you not!

Why don't you get a job in the public sector, if it's so much better than being self-employed?

I work in the IT industry which, after 3 or 4 terrible years, is now apparently in an era of a shortage of skilled people. What I do is supposed to be the number one skill demand in the current market BUT... I am not seeing any wage/rate increases... in fact, the rates on offer today are LESS than I was earning last year and at the end of 2003.... and less than I was earning in 2001.

Now, this week I have read reports both about a supposed skills shortage across the UK and UK companies unable to get good, skilled workers. I also read a report, from the BOE I think, that mentioned wage inflation and the pressure it was causing on the UK economy so...

Who exactly is having these wage increases????

TMT, what is your area of expertise? As my area (J2EE Software Dev) has really picked up in a big way over the last 6-12 months. I've even been surprised by the fact that the number UK jobs in this area are picking up massively despite the fact there is a lot of offshoring going on.