House Price Crash Forum

The Truth About Property, 3/3

Monopoly

HOLA441
I don't have this avatar because I identify myself with it..its just that I like the cartoon

I think we in Germany have a different approach to housing because of the laws protecting the tenants...therefore not absolutely necessary to buy a property to feel at home..shame that this did 't really came over..they cut most of it out :(

I saw enough to know that the Germans do property better than we do.

Property should not be a financial investment; by being so it is subject to investment bubbles.

The Germans seem to have achieved this.

The japanese are in a depression following a huge speculative bubble that peaked in 1989, they are still in depression.

Did you ask him if he had visited HPC?

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I think we in Germany have a different approach to housing because of the laws protecting the tenants...therefore not absolutely necessary to buy a property to feel at home..shame that this did 't really came over..they cut most of it out :(

Well, it came over quite well for me, but then being a renter I'm quite sensitive to the issues.

I'm quite lucky in that my landlords agents leave me well alone (due to being cr4p, mainly, but I'm not complaining), but the one month notice is a real killer for renting.

If it came to it I could always just say "come back with the court order then" and buy myself time, but it's pretty unpleasant to do that sort of thing (I've faced off Landlords a couple of times now, it gets stressey even when you're on solid ground).

Anyway, thanks for appearing and making the point.

The family in Amesbury were topical for me, having lived a couple of miles away from there for a few years not too long ago.

I'm always amazed at how prices round there can possibly be supported by earnings. I stood in the high street there a few weeks ago and compared the jobs agency window with the EA window almost adjoining.

It's pretty well job 20k, ordinary small house 180k upwards.

Not that the ratio's any better in London (worse in fact) , but if you're renting you get to keep more cash on balance and the cost of living down there is not really any cheaper.

Oh, and that cooper woman. I've rarely seen anyone I instinctively dislike and mistrust as much as her, seems like one of natures born liars. Not quite sure what it is about her that does that to me, but it's definitely very strong.

HOLA443
" You talk like my husband " :blink: , if you didn't need it in the last 10 years your unlikely to need it in the next 10 , we've sold , given away or dumped over half of what we had since we moved into rented and i miss none of it .........you can't take it with you ............. Give my regards to John ;)

No, no, no..its all personal stuff..stuff like pictures, albums ..don't worry, ones we have a house I will sort out..no point before..no point hanging to may pictures up here.

I miss a lot of the stuff..just don't know in which box the stuff is...I really would like to show my kids my photos when I was a kid..just cant find them :( for example ;)

HOLA444
Verity's credibility has plunged in my estimation now. It is obvious that the bloke is quite intelligent so why did he make such a pile of dilge? This programme revealed nothing that we don't know already about the over-inflated housing market in the UK and it ignored the PRINCIPAL cause - CHEAP AND EASY CREDIT.

Verity is on a par with Krusty and Phil in my opinion and these three programmes were a waste of time!

That's a bit strong. He at least questioned high house prices, whereas Pill and Krusty just have these parts where they 'marvel' at the fantastic increase in price of someones property.

HOLA445

Well done Petra it is a different story renting abroad. It's crap here. I hope you dont get a call from your Landlord. It must be difficult after so long renting but dont give up now I think your husband is right to want to wait longer especially at this point in the market. Thank you for taking part.

Well done Andrew Verity for these programmes and trying to show a different side.

I felt sorry for that lady being turfed out of her make shift home by those priggish councillors with their big houses. I feel like getting a caravan and parking it outside their homes.

As for Yvette Cooper I dont condone slapping ladies especially being one myself but on this occasion I will make an exception. NOW FORM A QUEUE :angry:

HOLA446
I saw enough to know that the Germans do property better than we do.

Property should not be a financial investment; by being so it is subject to investment bubbles.

The Germans seem to have achieved this.

The japanese are in a depression following a huge speculative bubble that peaked in 1989, they are still in depression.

Did you ask him if he had visited HPC?

No..

HOLA447
No, no, no..its all personal stuff..stuff like pictures, albums ..don't worry, ones we have a house I will sort out..no point before..no point hanging to may pictures up here.

I miss a lot of the stuff..just don't know in which box the stuff is...I really would like to show my kids my photos when I was a kid..just cant find them :( for example ;)

I know what you mean. Almost all of my stuff has been in storage in a warehouse for six months.

When you haven't seen many of your things for quite a long time, you start to forget what they're like.

HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
HOLA4419
Monopoly - forgive my nosiness, but my neighbour and I were watching the show and couldn't decide whether your hubby's Northern Irish with a bit of a German accent, or German with a lot of a Northern Irish accent - I thought the latter, by the end. Can you settle it for us please? ;)

No..he is from NI..do you think he has an German accent?..Maybe he is coping me :lol:

HOLA4420
Guest An Bearin Bui
I don't have this avatar because I identify myself with it..its just that I like the cartoon

That was probably deliberate - they wouldn't want people in the UK to find out how it is possible to rent a flat and still be financially and personally secure as that would undermine the basis for the UK economy. In Germany, you save up for things and are obliged to manage your money in a variety of ways and there is also a more generous welfare state to catch people of all economic classes in a safety net if things go wrong. The UK government would hate for anyone in this country to know the feasibility of that as it would blow their cover...

The lack of tenant rights in the UK is a major reason behind the housing bubble but I can almost guarantee there is not one single government minister who campaigns for or even mentions tenant rights (probably because they all have BTL investments and don't want the market to drop!)

HOLA4421
HOLA4422
HOLA4423
HOLA4424
That was probably deliberate - they wouldn't want people in the UK to find out how it is possible to rent a flat and still be financially and personally secure as that would undermine the basis for the UK economy. In Germany, you save up for things and are obliged to manage your money in a variety of ways and there is also a more generous welfare state to catch people of all economic classes in a safety net if things go wrong. The UK government would hate for anyone in this country to know the feasibility of that as it would blow their cover...

When I lived in Germany (Munich) I was staggered at how cheap renting was. You could rent a huge 3 bed apartment for less than £400 a month which would barely get you a 1 bed maisonette back home.

In Germany you are obliged to save for things but don't forget that you also have to pay to operate a bank account :o :angry: You can get free ones but then you will find it hard to access your cash without a debit card etc. Also the Germans don't do credit cards and virtually no shops take them. Shop assistants are incredibly rude and at the supermarket they throw the food down the till at you. Germans also never buy rounds which is a real pain in the backside when there's a group of you with everyone paying individually. I did love living there though and would go back if I got the chance.

HOLA4425
I think Andy Verity did a good job. The entire was broadcast was effective because it was subtle. A complete loon screaming at the masses about credit crunches would be dismissed by the vast majority who really aren't interested.

One thing I found to be interesting was the planning process being held up not by conspiracies but by various groups of well meaning individuals whether it be the blue rinse poncenby-smythes or some student with a thing for worms.

Balanced reporting???Yeah right!!The 1st episode focussed on a couple braving high seas to get a barge over here from Holland to live in, all 'cause they were so 'desperate' to get on to the housing ladder. The 2nd episode was mostly about Stavros and his ill gotten half a mil. The 3rd episode featured a 40 year old living at home & some broad who converted her pig sty/stable into a 'family home', all due to rocketing house prices & chronic undersupply of 'affordable' homes, council do gooders agonising over planning rules, the odd anti EU rant thrown in etc etc... Maybe its just me but I just can`t see how any of this could be construed as realistic, bearish or balanced? I think Andy Verity did a good job..of pretending to be a bear when he's clearly not one..

I particularly liked the van he was driving around in..the subtle message to the sheeple being ' I was a mug to STR too soon & now I`m driving around in this'. Pile on to the ladder and soon you`ll be driving around in a TT, like that MEW chap from the 1st program'