Monopoly

HOLA441
  • Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
HOLA443

This programme is an absolute bear-food banquet. Wonder how many people are watching it? Couple paying 400pcm rent in their house but if they "buy" it's 1100pcm. Nope not the best deal in the world.

It shows the mania for houses we have in the UK, the nimby, the planning, the fact that there are huge swathes of land in this country, even mentioned Adam Smith, beating up on Barratt, helicopter shots of greenery

> Mind you, houses are up 1.1% this month so everything is just fine ;)

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
All hopes now pinned on Dispatches, Channel 4 5/11/07 at 8 pm...Atleast they were mentioning housing being a 'classic speculative bubble' in the promos..

I think it's gone downhill since the first installment, I wish I could have had that Yvette Cooper in the back of a bus :o , you're only half an hour from Milwall docks. He had such an opportunity there and it was a 30 second cut <_< , "Here's the drill Andrew, if you want to keep renting, you'll need to keep the cosy job at the BBC, now please feel free to ask me anything you want"...

Edited by Converted Lurker

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
I wonder when it was all filmed though - anyone been listening for latest date mentioned? Series started with filming people camping out end of summer...

I got an invite to appear in this program from it's producer (turned it down, btw) about 4-5 months ago. So much of it must have been filmed fairly recently.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415

What is it about Yvette Cooper that makes me want to give her a slap. I've never hit anyone in my life and would never strike a woman but she comes very very close.

Her face says "I understand exactly what you are saying but I am choosing to ignore that entirely, look you straight in the eyes and lie through my teeth and no-one is going to stop me"

A truly awful creature.

HOLA4416

Aaargh, Yvette Cooper just said she wanted to defy gravity. "Prices can't come down, it would cause too much trouble." Much better to make things more affordable by giving people new opportunities to buy (how?) and by increasing supply.

But even accepting her flawed logic of simplistic supply and demand - even if it did work - it would bring prices down! She has no logic. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh! And she's in charge!!!!!

I think this a great program - Andrew is subtly showing how slow worms are getting a better housing deal then people - and letting people make their own conclusions.

Problem is, there's still a lack of easy answers ...

HOLA4417
What is it about Yvette Cooper that makes me want to give her a slap. I've never hit anyone in my life and would never strike a woman but she comes very very close.

Her face says "I understand exactly what you are saying but I am choosing to ignore that entirely, look you straight in the eyes and lie through my teeth and no-one is going to stop me"

A truly awful creature.

Exactly how I feel!!

HOLA4418

A truly awful creature.

I'm with you on that!

HOLA4419
I think it's gone downhill since the first installment, I wish I could have had that Yvette Cooper in the back of a bus :o , you're only half an hour from Milwall docks. He had such an opportunity there and it was a 30 second cut <_< , "Here's the drill Andrew, if you want to keep renting, you'll need to keep the cosy job at the BBC, now please feel free to ask me anything you want"...

I don't believe this for a second. He's going through policies that could be used to increase supply. That's almost bullish by definition, but the programme would be incomplete otherwise.

HOLA4420

Straight from the horses mouth , it looks like government dont want prices to become more affordable. Opportunities to buy means Shared Ownership, that old house price inflating scheme.

What a dreadful picture this programme paints of modern Britain, congratulations New Labour.

Edited by simon99

HOLA4421
Guest mattsta1964

It's a whitewash

To be expected from the NuLabour Broadcasting Company

It has focused on the supply and demand arguement and failed completely to get under the skin of what has really driven the housing market..........credit

It just reinforces my opinion that that the BBC wouldn't dare focus on the real culprits for house price inflation, the banking industry

HOLA4422
Straight from the horses mouth , it appears the government dont want prices to drop. Opportunities to buy means Shared Ownership, that old house price inflating scheme.

What a dreadful picture this programme paints of modern Britain, congratulations New Labour.

Cameron said the same thing when he was asked.

The good news is that the market will not be bucked for ever.

HOLA4423
It has focused on the supply and demand arguement and failed completely to get under the skin of what has really driven the housing market..........credit

Yes this has not been covered, and it's probably made this series incomplete.

But how do you explain this to people who are not armchair economists?

HOLA4424
HOLA4425