House Price Crash Forum

Estate Agents Investment Advice

Dylan

I walked past one of my local estate agents this evening and had a read of their newsletter in the window. The main article was how it is a good time to buy an investment property 'despite what's going on in the wider economy'. I'm going to pop in tomorrow and try and get a copy as I would love to go back in with it in 18 months time :) In fact, I might go in and ask them to run through the figures.

Anyway, why is it that if a bank wants to sell you a £20/month savings plan they are regulated by the FSA, but an estate agent can advise you to buy an investment worth £ks and there is absolutely no comeback if it turns out to be bad advice? Of course, you should take anything said by an EA with a pinch of salt, but clearly a lot of people haven't been doing that lately.