House Price Crash Forum

Anyone Form The Birmingham Area...or Near To It?

Agreed, Alfie :) I live in Moseley in a lovely rented terrace for about 1/3 of what it would cost me to buy. It's a very nice place to live indeed. Highly recommended.

I love Moseley but I did try (in vain) to stop my friend buying a flat there last year – she was renting a lovely place just down the road from where she now lives. Her new place is not so nice and is costing her much more! :(

I love Moseley but I did try (in vain) to stop my friend buying a flat there last year – she was renting a lovely place just down the road from where she now lives. Her new place is not so nice and is costing her much more! :(

Ouch! Poor lass. Yes, to buy in Moseley is expensive right now. Renting is definitely the name of the game.

Many people I know would list the following areas as being fairly decent in B'ham:

Kings Heath

Moseley

Bournville

Harborne

Bearwood

No love for Edgbaston?

I agree wrt to the rest though. Know 3 people who've sold in the last year in the areas listed above, all have faced repeated collapsing chains.

Going back a few months there was an article by a Harborne EA (Wolfes I think) in the Observer who said nothing was shifting and it was coming onto the rental market to at least give people something to service their bridging loans with. This would tend to suggest some people are still clinging on for what their property is "worth". Only a matter of time although I don't mind the fact its depressing rent prices for the time being. £10 a month increase in the last 4 years isn't too bad.

My parents STR October 06 in Sutton Coldfield and are currently renting an in Four Oaks as they couldn't decided when to buy. Recently Mums turned into a HPC convert.

They thinking of moving to another rented house soon and in looking they have spoken to a local Buy-to-letter. He said he was doing OK but he had reported that large house i.e £1m had dropped 20% in the area in the last 2 years. He also said that a number of buy-to-letters in the area were so deep in debt that they can't sleep at night.

I laughed my head off when I heard this on the phone last night. The thought that buy-to-letters are so racked with stress they can't sleep at night gives me a warm cosy fussy feeling inside just before I go into a deep sleep.

That is really cruel....But I know the feeling well !!

Don't think she will be eating out at Little Italy so much now!

Heh heh :D She should try Ponte di Legno on Woodbridge Road instead - much nicer! Or K2 - slurp!

I never knew there where so many Brummies on here. We'll have to have our very own Christmas HPC booze-up in the Fighting Cocks!

Heh heh :D She should try Ponte di Legno on Woodbridge Road instead - much nicer! Or K2 - slurp!

I never knew there where so many Brummies on here. We'll have to have our very own Christmas HPC booze-up in the Fighting Cocks!

Threads like these do tend to bring us Brummies out of the woodwork! HPC(Midlands)Meet does sound like a good idea – pitty I'm in New Zealand for most of December and January. The joy of not having a mortgage – I can afford to have a life! :D

Digbeth is being touted by many as the new "up and coming" place to live. It is still relatively cheap, is a stones throw from the Bull Ring, Selfridges etc and is currently undergoing a massive regeneration program. Birmingham City Council are concentrating their efforts on the Irish quarter which is the long neglected Eastside of Birmingham. This includes a new park, the knocking down of Brums grubby national express coach station and the building of a shiny new one. Also the new Brindley place is being built next door along Bradford Street.

Digbeth is being touted by many as the new "up and coming" place to live. It is still relatively cheap, is a stones throw from the Bull Ring, Selfridges etc and is currently undergoing a massive regeneration program. Birmingham City Council are concentrating their efforts on the Irish quarter which is the long neglected Eastside of Birmingham. This includes a new park, the knocking down of Brums grubby national express coach station and the building of a shiny new one. Also the new Brindley place is being built next door along Bradford Street.

Looking out of my office in Digbeth and it looks as depressing as ever – these plans have been around for years. At one stage there was talk of a Parisian style boulevard down the high street! Admittedly it has taken the council years to get the local chemical factory turfed out which has a fall-out zone right up to the new Bullring development! I do hope Digbeth gets a facelift but the new devlopments that have gone up in the Irish quarter aren't that great. We are having the streets closed off for Gigbeth on Thursday night though – sounds like fun! Think I will don my stab-proof vest and check it out! ;)

Looking out of my office in Digbeth and it looks as depressing as ever – these plans have been around for years. At one stage there was talk of a Parisian style boulevard down the high street! Admittedly it has taken the council years to get the local chemical factory turfed out which has a fall-out zone right up to the new Bullring development! I do hope Digbeth gets a facelift but the new devlopments that have gone up in the Irish quarter aren't that great. We are having the streets closed off for Gigbeth on Thursday night though – sounds like fun! Think I will don my stab-proof vest and check it out! ;)

I live in Digbeth (renting), a couple of my friends have bought there though. The area is up and coming, but tis the same flats going up everywhere, and its being regenerated mainly through resi development, which means any improvement in the area will be cancelled out by a massive over supply imo.

Its also having a knock on effect on the existing character of the area & 'irish quarter' , the spotted dog has been served with a noise abatement notice, and a lot of other music venues are under threat.

see this site to find out more http://www.keepdigbethvibrant.co.uk/

This site shows the planned development next door to the coach station:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=508412

The wider Digbeth area (eastside) has a lot of potential, but I still think Birmingham flat prices will drop like a stone all over.

Mosely x mas meet sounds like a plan.

Its also having a knock on effect on the existing character of the area & 'irish quarter' , the spotted dog has been served with a noise abatement notice, and a lot of other music venues are under threat.

Mosely xmas meet sounds like a plan.

Shame about the Spotted Dog having problems – no doubt that will be the Abacus Building residents – the amount of times I have almost been run over on my way to the gym when they whizz out of the basement car park!

Moseley meet would be great but I'm not around at crimbo :(

Ditto to all of the above.

I rent a two-bed terrace in Harborne for £575. If it went on the market today it would go on for at least £180,000. Haven't done the figures, but I'm guessing that a 95% LTV interest-only mortgage would be something like double what I'm paying per month.

Moral of the story: don't buy in Birmingham at the moment.

Shame about the Spotted Dog having problems – no doubt that will be the Abacus Building residents – the amount of times I have almost been run over on my way to the gym when they whizz out of the basement car park!

I have just noted this thread. I also live in Moseley and will be around at/near Christmas so would be nice to share a drink if we can agree a time.

As a place to live Moseley is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. Houses are selling slowly and on the more expensive roads they are hanging about longer than usual. The market has a definite spring/early summer 2005 feel about it all.

Sad to see Sage (the wholefood shop in the Village) is closing tomorrow. A niche shop like that closing possibly reflects the locals getting less choosy about where they go for provisions - maybe some tightening of bohemian belts?

I have just noted this thread. I also live in Moseley and will be around at Christmas so would be nice to share a drink if we can agree a time.

As a place to live Moseley is not everyone's cup of tea, but it is mine. Houses are selling slowly and on the more expensive roads they are hanging about longer than usual. The market has a definite spring/early summer 2005 feel about it all.

Sad to see Sage (the wholefood shop in the Village) is closing tomorrow. A niche shop like that closing possibly reflects the locals getting less choosy about where they go for provisions - maybe some tightening of bohemian belts?

Looking forward to snapping up a repo one bed flat city centre side for £55k in a couple of years time just to use as a bolthole.

Remember looking at a couple of flats in the Mailbox about four years ago for about £125-£150K each.

Fell about laughing when sales person said brum was becoming the city of culture. I explained that my family had lived within 500 metres of the mailbox for at least the last six hundred years and that was the first time we had heard that one :lol::lol:

as he's still to get authorisation to post he's asked me to put up these questions, if anyone has an opinion on them can you post up your thoughts B)

1/ Is it wise to buy in the Solihull area and surrounding (Sheldon, Yardly, Shirley etc)

2/ Should we rent for the rest of the year and look to buy in 12 months?

3/ My girlfriend has her heart set on buying somewhere (house not flat) and has been to see a mortgage advisor he is offering to lend us a stupid amount of money should we look at just borrowing 3 times our combined salary like they used to lend?

4/ How much % wise should we try to get knocked off the asking price?

1/ Is it wise to buy in the Solihull area and surrounding (Sheldon, Yardly, Shirley etc)

Solihull and Shirley are decent areas. I grew up in Sheldon, as I kid I loved it. However, every time I visit the place now it's getting worse and worse (same for Yardley). Spend an hour in the 'Sheldon' pub on Cranes Park Road....if you make it out alive it might be your area. :P

Mate just sold his place in Shirley. he sensibly reduced the price to sell now, knowing he'll get less in 12-18 months.

2/ Should we rent for the rest of the year and look to buy in 12 months?

Definetley. If Land Rover starts shedding jobs (a possibility) then prices in this area will start to drop like a stone.

3/ My girlfriend has her heart set on buying somewhere (house not flat) and has been to see a mortgage advisor he is offering to lend us a stupid amount of money should we look at just borrowing 3 times our combined salary like they used to lend?

He/She is a salesperson. They only have their own interests at heart (no matter what they say otherwise)

4/ How much % wise should we try to get knocked off the asking price?

Like a previous poster. Start w/ 20%. I'm looking to move into Shirley when prices fall. There are properties that have been on the market for months....I truly believe a lot of sellers are in denial or have been 'brainwashed' by the media. This will change in the next 6-12 months!

Good luck.

Choose Cannock and its surrounding areas... Excellent value for money !!

I was born and grew up in Sutton and I completely agree with you - it's a lovely place! Sutton Park is an excellent asset (something I did not fully appreciate til I left) and Birmingham is on your doorstep. Excellent Schools and good transport links, Sutton is rightly a very sought after area. Be careful to avoid somewhere called Falcon Lodge (or simply 'The Lodge') though unless you're wearing body armour...