House Price Crash Forum

Windsor, Ascot, Maidenhead, Sl4 Region..

I have been on this site for quite a while but have not seen (m)any posts regarding the Windsor area. There must be some out there who follow the market in this region, right ? We started looking at some houses in this area last summer but stopped after viewing around 10 houses or so, since prices seemed insane. We even ent as far as Bracknell because prices were lower, but we did not like the area as much (even though they have nice areas too). We were looking at the 250k region and since Windsor seems one of the most expensive regions outside of London it was simply frustrating...

Now what I have seen is that the market is going really slow but still it seems estate agents and sellers have not realised that prices are far too high. I have seen houses in the weekly property news from last week which we have looked at back in August (!), and believe it or not, some of these asking prices are still the same !! Have vendors and sellers not realised that the market is going downwards, or do they not want to realise or is my perception simply wrong that prices are too high here ?

What is the experience of people on this forum with regards to the SL4 region and also Staines Egham etc. (maybe even Slough but I would not be interested in buying there). We decided to sit and wait for now, as long as we need to, but as it stands right now, we feel with prices not really moving downwards in the area we are not sure if we ever willb e able to afford a decent house in this area...

would really like to hear other peoples views and experiences.

Puzzled as to why any one would like to live in Windsor - its a horribly overpriced, stand-offish hole. Mind Bracknell isn't a great deal better.

Reading, Guildford and Wokingham/Crowthorne are reasonably nice places. They are all probably cheaper than Windsor as well. For 250k you could get something reasonably priced in Reading (I doubt that would get you anything in Windsor tbh.), Probably a bit less in Guildford/Wokingham/Crowthorne.

There is of course Maidenhead (which seems a reasonable place), which is close but much better priced. And of course Slough, which I believe is cheap, but isn't too nice.

Anyway the clever money from Maidenhead has slowly been moving to outlying villages, particularly just across the river in Bucks (Marlow etc) for schools that are regarded as better (still grammer system). Maidenhead town center is getting pretty dangerous by night and not good for the 30+ group, a lot of the good restaurants have shut down, lots of binge drinking dens. Hard drugs are on the rise, they are planning to build on a toxic pit potentially leaking cancer-causing chemicals into the water table, a lot of the town is on a flood plain etc, the train times to London are much worse now.

Still it is better than Bracknell :-)

+1

Edited by clubberdude
  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Puzzled as to why any one would like to live in Windsor - its a horribly overpriced, stand-offish hole. Mind Bracknell isn't a great deal better.

Reading, Guildford and Wokingham/Crowthorne are reasonably nice places. They are all probably cheaper than Windsor as well. For 250k you could get something reasonably priced in Reading (I doubt that would get you anything in Windsor tbh.), Probably a bit less in Guildford/Wokingham/Crowthorne.

There is of course Maidenhead (which seems a reasonable place), which is close but much better priced. And of course Slough, which I believe is cheap, but isn't too nice.

+1

Hey you did know you were replying to a post that was posted over 4 years ago :)

Some interesting views in this thread....

If you already live in Windsor, then yes you're probably spoiled.

Even in some of the worst areas you can find some nice spots. But if I had to be choosy, then commuting to central Slough logically points to Taplow, Langley, Iver, Dorney etc. I know the chav comments will come out when I mention Langley and Iver, but there you go. If you don't venture into their patches, you'd never even know they were there. I don't know about the flight path over Dorney (if there is one), but it's a shade nicer than Taplow.

I'd avoid places such as Maidenhead. I've never seen a duller town. But then again, personally I'm not too keen on Windsor either (long live the Republic!).

Be careful about choosing a locale too far from where you work. I recently moved to be closer to my work and it's pretty much changed my life for the better. You'd be surprised what an extra hour or two a day can do for your wellbeing.

Oh and btw, Uxbridge is about 20 mins drive from Slough. Given the choice I'd choose Uxbridge over ANY of them.