House Price Crash Forum

Windsor, Ascot, Maidenhead, Sl4 Region..

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uh, no. Aircraft noise in Wraysbury didn't worry me at all.

Then again I've also lived right alongside the M40, and not far from the M4, near to a main rail-line into London, and not had any problem with it. IMHO 'noise pollution' is highly over-rated, maybe some people obsess about it enough that they can't just ignore it.

Different strokes... I've lived in a cottage in a remote part of Wales where you can hear an owl in the next valley. On a very still night you could hear when the ferry was pulling out of Rosslare on the other side of the Irish Sea. I can't bear noise or air pollution, I guess its what you're used to.

Edited by Grime- skint wouldbe ftb
  • 2 weeks later...
Just noticed gradual price reductions on this house. It was has been on the market since at least February when it was 650.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property/3825655

It's currently listed with a few different agents at 599 and 595. I have noticed that quite a few houses around here now seem to be listed with 3 or 4 different agents.

I have seen these five properties advertised for 20k less

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-647..._t=buy&chnl=buy

Below the 350k level the market seems to be generally fairly fluid with a fair amount of sold signs gradually appearing. But there are some houses which have been on the market for quite a few months.

But I have noticed that some 2 beds have sold within a couple of weeks of going on the market. Strange! This doesn't fit with the market slowdown.

However I did notice one 2 bed house which was marketed at 174,950 but which went for 156,000 (from the lovely nethouseprice.com).

• 2 weeks later...

just posted this on a different thread about a new development in Windsor but think it belongs more here:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...&st=0&p=109576&

has anyone seen these new appartments ? I have only seen conventcourt, and while it looks ok from th inside (not my style though) it is overpriced and has no privacy and/or propper windows...

= = = = = = =

I live just a few streets away from this new site. There are also a lot of new sites even in my street (has anyone seen this one ?

http://www.conventcourt.com/cc_content.html very expensive, very nice though inside but man, on some of them the windows are thathigh that you cannot even look outside, and that for 250k plus ???)

Yep, the Kingsoak development is really on a very busy roundabout so I cannot beliebve that people buy these instead of a nice semi....

I think it is just a question of time until the market will crash...

Yep, the Kingsoak development is really on a very busy roundabout so I cannot beliebve that people buy these instead of a nice semi....

I think it is just a question of time until the market will crash...

I drive past it every morning on the way to work. Wouldn't want to live there even if you paid me.

That bit that isn't finished yet... looks almost like theyve run out of cash to get it finished?!

Do you know if the big block going up on the corner of the junction in Slough next to teh firestation is flats or offices? Either way its another serious white elephant

Im pretty sure its flats, sorry executive apartments. The funniest thing is the marketing name for the development 'A Breath of Fresh Air' --- you would be hard pushed to find a more polluted spot ! Right on top of the A4 at a very busy junction and just a stones throw from the M4 not to mention Heathrow. You couldnt pay me to live in one.

anyone with recent experience and/or anectodals of the area ? this is what I posted on a different thread, based on nethouseprices it seems activity slows down a lot, but not as much as in other areas of the country it seems:

= = =

SL4 (Windsor) sales went down 27% from 56 to 44 sales (Jan 04 compared to Jan 05).

And a house in my (quite popular) street just got sold after being 3 weeks or so on the market (at least the sign outside got switched to 'sold' so the sale needs to go through first...)

Anyway, still quite some activity here but 27% is just the beginning of more drops to come IMHO...

= = =

what are others thinking of the area ?

just checked nethouseprices again, data for January looks now even more upbeat so it seems the market here has not slowed as much as it has on other regions of the counntry:

only 19% fall in transaction in Windsor from Jan 2004 (57 sales) vs. Jan 05 (48 sales).

To me it seems the market for FTBs has slowed quite significantly, while higher priced houses are still selling:

http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/ind...?showtopic=9300

Have Grundon's finished their incinerators at Slough yet http://www.sainslough.org.uk/

That will inprove the air quality in the area even more

Nasty. Ive been working in Slough 2 years now and the air is the worst I've ever breathed anywhere, and that includes Camden / central London. I was aware that there were 3 licensed toxic incinerators in Slough from searching Hansard. I can't imagine what it would be like with increased output-- people will have to walk around in spacesuits.

Kingsoak in Windsor... completion was supposed to be June 05, ie 2 weeks away. Is it just me or has building work completely stalled? I can't see what progression there's been over the last 2 months. Apart from Sold signs being stuck outside a couple of windows. Perhaps they are enticing new buyers with free respirators, oxygen supplies and BUPA membership. <_<

Hi. Lots of useful posts on this thread. I was wonfering if anyone knows anything about Englefield Green?

I am thinking of buying (just off Egham Hill) in Englefield Green and was wondering if anyone knew the area. I think it is lovely and green and not too far from Windsor Town Centre.

Is there anything about the area I should know?

On my visits I have heard some noise from the planes but its has not been too bad - does anyone know if the area will be impacted by Terminal 5 / 3rd runway at Heathrow ?

Any useful info on Englefield Green would be much appreciated !! :)

I am thinking of buying (just off Egham Hill) in Englefield Green and was wondering if anyone knew the area. I think it is lovely and green and not too far from Windsor Town Centre.

I hope you know this already. Aside from the A30 traffic noise and planes (loud and low but not all the time, seemed to be 2 weeks every two months), the big problem with Englefield Green is the students. They will be in the pubs, renting rooms on houses either side of you. Make sure you have checked the area when the students are at Royal Holloway.

I hope you know this already. Aside from the A30 traffic noise and planes (loud and low but not all the time, seemed to be 2 weeks every two months), the big problem with Englefield Green is the students. They will be in the pubs, renting rooms on houses either side of you. Make sure you have checked the area when the students are at Royal Holloway.

Thanks alot for that. I'm not too bothered about the students (although will check out a few pubs to make sure its not too rough!).

Hadn't realised about the planes though as on my visits they have not been loud atall. Will need to check again :(

• 2 weeks later...
Im pretty sure its flats, sorry executive apartments. The funniest thing is the marketing name for the development 'A Breath of Fresh Air' --- you would be hard pushed to find a more polluted spot ! Right on top of the A4 at a very busy junction and just a stones throw from the M4 not to mention Heathrow. You couldnt pay me to live in one.

I have to confess I thought you must be wrong-- there was absolutely no way these could be a residential development in my mind - Its a commercial area, on the busiest road junction in Slough, through which virtually all of the commuter traffic to one of the largest industrial estates in Europe, AND Slough town centre from the M4 or other routes must pass. It's hard to find somewhere in the whole town that isn't noisy, smelly and very polluted, but this spot manages to stand out as even worse than its surroundings. Your view, onto the other 3 corners of the junction are:- a furniture warehouse; an ugly transport style pub next door to a doomed Rover dealership; and a typical grotty row of kebab shops, haidressers and off licenses with flats above. Or if you are in one of the flats round the back, you can see an ugly 1960s style fire station.

The building itself completely resembles an office block under construction.

But I took a closer look the other day at the billboards outside, proudly announcing the wonderful luxury apartments that YOU TOO could own.. and yep, they're available OFF PLAN NOW! My mouth slowly drooped open as I realised they think people are going to want to live here...

Its called Quadrivium Point :rolleyes:http://www.quadriviumpoint.com/

"57 1 and 2 bed apartments" MUST be aimed at BTL, only an absolute lunatic would want to OO there.

Check the PDF... its a giggle. It has "striking external elevations and roof lines" :rolleyes: "20 minutes walk to the town centre"... er, yes, that's if you fancy a 20 minute stroll along the A4... trust me, you won't want to repeat the experience if you do.

Interestingly they state that all of Airways profits go back into community housing, not shareholders.

The way the market's looking for BTL, you gotta say what profits... I can't even imagine any of the AMG driving Slough business people being daft enough to go for them, but you never know eh.

Madness.

Edited by Grime- skint wouldbe ftb
  • 2 months later...

it's been a while since anyone posted something about the Windor area, is it because nothing is happening ?

here is some anecdotal first hand info about windsor: our landlord wants to support his son who just moved to Oxford and wants to buy a house (?!) . So the father wants to take out a mortgage for the son and as a security for the deposit a surveyor from the bank came to estimate the value of his house (which we rent). I had my wife ask him all sorts of questions since I was at work (he would not reveal the value of the house though) but I had her ask him about what he thinks the market is doing in Windsor. He basically said, there were *very* few sales in Windsor in the last few month but nevertheless he thinks that Windsor is different to the rest of the market and therefore prices will not go down here.

I hear a lot of people say that 'Windsor is different', why should it be ?

What is the rest of you thinking, where is the market in this region moving ? Some houses are still selling I think (the house opposite ours has just put the sold sign up) but only very few as far as I can see which seems confirmed by the surveyor, but sellers are still not reducing there prices....

• 1 month later...
how about Old Windsor ?

Does anyone live there, has friends, knows something about the place ? Seems like prices are a bit more reasonable there and it looks like a nice village by the river, close to Windsor, Runnymeade  and Staines.

It's an odd place to comment on. I used to go through every day on the bus. Busy riverside road, couple of rough-ish council estates, right under the heathrow flight path, Elton John in the posh bits (hugh country estates, country pubs), students a gogo (Royal Holloway in nextdoor Englefield Green).

I don't think overall you can comment, it depends on the exact street.

BRACKNELL:

does anyone know more about it ? I mean this seems the only place where we could afford a detached house for 250k. And areas like Forest Park seem actually quite nice !

anyone else recomendations or experiences in the area ?

please share them.

Currently live in Forest Park, and nothing bad has happened :D , although you might want to avoid the local pub. Local shops very nice (mini-tesco, good chinese, blockbuster). People tend to keep themselves to themselves. Like you say prices are very good, and with the forest next to the area you can have some very nice walks in unspolit woodland. Socially Bracknell is similar to smallpox, not pleasant and you don't want to get close, but some villages nearby have excellent restaurants/pubs.

Used to live in Binfield which is a wonderful village that seems to have kept community spirit, but was forced out by the price. As AuntyMeat and I often say one day we shall return. If you can afford Binfield go for it, but if you want a bigger place Forest Park, but watch out for Martins Heron as it has a sewage plant and can whiff a bit in the summer :o .

how about Old Windsor ?

Does anyone live there, has friends, knows something about the place ? Seems like prices are a bit more reasonable there and it looks like a nice village by the river, close to Windsor, Runnymeade  and Staines.

I live in Old Windsor, rent. Its a real mixture, Chavvy bits and posh bits, riverside dwelleings go for £550K min, but the noise from jets makes sitting out enjoying the view a bit of a mixed blessing - I can feel the vibrations in my boat as a plane goes over. i'm in a small-ish 3 bed semi down a secluded private cul-de-sac, quite pleasant, £320K at current market valuation. A couple of grotty estates as mentioned elsewhere but ive not heard of any crime in 2 years. As an area... I wouldn't really want to live there even if I had the huge amount of money it'd cost to live somewhere half decent.

transport links- London's about 45 mins from egham station, a bit of a slow line. road: you are right by the M4 and M25 but the busiest stretches of both, and if you get an accident on either half the county is gridlocked... if you need to commute north there are only 2 choices- through Datchet which suffers queues and delays in rush hour due to the level crossings, or the Windsor relief road to the M4 juntion, which if you travel at peak time can be one long queue, and about 3 times worse when school run traffic is clogging everything up.

Here’s my 2p worth:

Bracknell has a few ok areas but the schools have a bad reputation. Binfield, Temple Park, Warfield and parts of Winkfield fall into the Bracknell catchment, so beware of this if you are considering any of these.

Twyford, Hurst, Wargrave and Henley are nice, with good schools but prices are high. Twyford is about the cheapest of these, where small 2-bed terraces sell (quickly!) for well over £200K, & no sign of prices dropping.

Reading has some reasonable areas (mostly on the eastern side) and a fast train into London takes under 30 mins. I rented in the University area while working in Slough. Easy to drive to work on M4 unless there were traffic jams. One or two good schools but most in Reading are a bit grim. Lots of shops in town centre.

Don’t know too much about Wycombe - parts seem nice, especially surrounding villages, but because of grammar system, reputation for several dodgy schools.

• 6 months later...

Does anyone have any recent anecdotal evidence to share for the wider Windsor area ?

I am (again) looking more in-depth into the local market and what I have seen so far is that properties are still selling well in Windsor and surrounding areas. Prices might not be going up anymore it seems, and I am sure there are quite some discounts, but a lot of them are still selling fast. The house next door for instance sold within a few weeks, no sign of a slowdown here it seems...

Anyone else having an opinion ?