House Price Crash Forum

Advice Wanted

I have been looking to rent a house for a while and saw a nice place i liked and decided to enquire.

I was told the EA didn't have the keys till Monday 29/10/07 so to call back then.

just last night i saw the place was rent agreed on right move and rang again to enquire.

This time a different woman answered the phone and said that the place was wanted by a freind of a woman who worked in the office in the office and when i asked if my name was listed against the property for a viewing once it was available as I had asked she replied no. It was blatant that I had spoken to the said woman and she hadn't listed my name as she wanted the place for her friend.

She arranged a viewing for me on the 29/10 at 14:30

Well, just got a call from the EA and the place is no longer available and let out to another family.

I feel I have been treated disgracefully.

Is there anything I can do or do I just put it down as a bad EA experience?

FAVRE

I have been looking to rent a house for a while and saw a nice place i liked and decided to enquire.

I was told the EA didn't have the keys till Monday 29/10/07 so to call back then.

just last night i saw the place was rent agreed on right move and rang again to enquire.

This time a different woman answered the phone and said that the place was wanted by a freind of a woman who worked in the office in the office and when i asked if my name was listed against the property for a viewing once it was available as I had asked she replied no. It was blatant that I had spoken to the said woman and she hadn't listed my name as she wanted the place for her friend.

She arranged a viewing for me on the 29/10 at 14:30

Well, just got a call from the EA and the place is no longer available and let out to another family.

I feel I have been treated disgracefully.

Is there anything I can do or do I just put it down as a bad EA experience?

FAVRE

Always go Private Landlord.

I did for a time & it works far better than godamn EA sly-tactics.

• 2 weeks later...

With experiences of private and Letting Agents - that's minor and I would let it go.

By far the most annoying is moving into somewhere that is professed by privates and LA to be long-term, then turns out to be only 6 months - and the place is being sold.

You've moved all your stuff - paid for removals - and then have to pay twice yearly those costs.

You can be a nice tenant etc, etc but no difference in this market.

If you're renting I wouldn't set your heart on the dream place to rent - as you'll only have it a short-while as things are going.

Having said that, I know plenty of friends who either rent top market places and pay top rentals - and are still there - or have landlords letting out studios - who bought them ages ago and are covering their costs - so keep their tenants in.

I was offered a property last year because I was told that it had been on the market and the person who wanted it was "dragging their heals" - so I jumped through because I said I'd take it on straight away - although it took over 3 weeks to do the checks.

I was slightly suspecious at the time but needed to move and really liked the place (was paying more than I'd ever done before by renting it - bit like you - bit of emotional investment on my part). They tried to get me out despite signing a year's contract - because they wanted to sell.

You might have had a lucky escape!

There's no guarantee in this market you'll have it more than 6 months - take it on the chin - and try and find a landlord who is looking for a long-term tenant - and even then you may be ousted.

I normally ask how long LA's have it on their books - and does the LL own other properties that are rented out.

Have found that doesn't make any odds if I ask and research for a longterm let - always problems with people wanting to sell.