House Price Crash Forum

B B C Radio 5 Live 5.45 T O D A Y

HOLA441
Plenty of nice moorings down here along the south coast. The waiting lists of the mid nineties have disappeared. Moorings for a 13m vessel are between 4K and 7K depending on the marina. Some allow live aboards. Moorings on piles and trots are around half that price. The bottom has fallen out of the secondhand boat market in the last year. You can virtually name your own price now particulary with motor cruisers. Lived on my 40 foot classic boat for 6 years (1988 /94). It was wonderful.Stepped on to dry land and bought a house that had dropped to 50% in 1994. Looking to buy a large motor sailer like a Fisher 42 in a couple of years time during the next recession. Prices dropped by up to 80% last time. Cash is king in a recession. Bring on the suffering baby. Yeah. :lol:

Cool, I'm just going on a quick look I had into it a while ago, sounds like you've been there & are doing it! B)

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
:lol: What a complete imbecile :P

On the contrary. I think he was extremely self aware... he knew that he'd never amass great savings @ £10K per year salary - so he has nothing to loose. The game is simply to keep a mountain of debt afloat until such time as he either throws-in the towel and declares himself bankrupt... or pulls off a really big property scam to cover all his debts.

It is a high risk strategy - that much is obvious - but I think he's being entirely rational about his decision... what alternative life do you think was open to him?

I'm not saying I've respect for the man - but he isn't stupid.

HOLA443
V funny :lol::lol::lol:

Wonder if Mr Verity will do a follow up call with him in six months?! :o

Something tells me that Mr Verity would get 'number unobtainable' as Johnny boy will have been given the sack by then, and have mewed his remaining equity for a one-way ticket to Mexico and a sackful of pesos. Sipping cocktails by the pool.

HOLA444
HOLA445
Did I see that one of the guys was a "Swimming Instructor" who was intending to buy his own house? How much are they getting paid nowadays?

The guy in question was on 14 grand. Couldn't afford a boarded-up house at 6x salary.

I would have thought that given his vocation, he should've been the one buying the house boat.

HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
The guy in question was on 14 grand. Couldn't afford a boarded-up house at 6x salary.

I would have thought that given his vocation, he should've been the one buying the house boat.

14 Grand teaching people to swim - how much for teaching people to ride a bike?

HOLA4410

I saw that programme on BBC2, the presenter was an absolute arsehole - he bought a flat for 75K, but he sold it cos he loves to pay £1300/ month for a garden.He remains bitter & twisted throughout the show in his van with an exaggerated graph on the side.Then it's- let me introduce you to my friends (two journalists!) who are buying a barge - yeh right that's reality TV. Lets look at the 'victims' - a girl is camping out to secure a 4 bed home for £150K - sounds OK to me. Then bits about Salford and Bulgaria which are in every property programme i've ever seen including Krusty & Phil Show. Then he 'hunts' down the BTL scoundrel who paid 65K cash to a chain smoker from Cheshire who has now secured a council flat

Be objective HPC, show that you are better than those overpaid toffs at BBC!

HOLA4411

What a crappy program! It looked as if it was produced for about £500. Poor script, poorly filmed, poorly presented.

If that is BBC quality then they should review their production values because a media student could have made that in a couple of days for next to nothing.

HOLA4412
£140,000 for a terrace in Salford? Good God!
Those Urban Splash new terraces in Salford will be worth £30-40k tops after the crash. 100% guaranteed.

I used to live around the corner from those new terraces and one had to run the gauntlet to the local shop due to the Lord of the Flies locals so unless they clear the remaining area I do not see it being a success. Frightening area. In the next few streets there are still boarded up properties with big metal shutters and signs saying nothing of value here.

Marine loans are generally at a higher rate of interest 8-10% and over shorter terms. Mooring fees vary hugely according to where you moor..

Top tip: get a mooring BEFORE you buy a boat, they're less easy to come by.

I thought a barge would depreciate rather than appreciate and have a shorter life span due to the repairs and maintenance required.

Furthermore I thought it was a good programme which was well presented and consolidated a lot of issues which could potentially destabilise the market place and lead to an economic downturn. I agree it was cheap to make but that does not always mean this leads to poor television.

Edited by misfit

HOLA4413
What a crappy program! It looked as if it was produced for about £500. Poor script, poorly filmed, poorly presented.

If that is BBC quality then they should review their production values because a media student could have made that in a couple of days for next to nothing.

Yes, it was rubbish - your comment that is.

The programme was brilliantly refreshing change. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Well done BBC.

HOLA4414
I saw that programme on BBC2, the presenter was an absolute arsehole - he bought a flat for 75K, but he sold it cos he loves to pay £1300/ month for a garden.He remains bitter & twisted throughout the show SNIP

Do you really think he came across as bitter?

HOLA4415
Yes, it was rubbish - your comment that is.

The programme was brilliantly refreshing change. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

Well done BBC.

Absolutely - insidetrack needs to take his hand off it. What did he / she expect? CGI graphics? Jesus.

HOLA4416

I think this has already been touched upon but that trendy 'journalist' couple with their £1300 pm Edwardian flat conversion rental....surely they could come up with a better solution than buying a barge for 100k and commuting to London from the wilds of Suffolk!!??

I live, for my sins, down the M4 corridor, 30 mins commute time into Paddington. Their £1300 would still stretch a long way round here, certainly for a nice rented house and even on a mortgage if they wanted to go that route.

I think the Barge thing was a bohemian statement rather than 'this is the only solution to our predicament'.....

All in all I thought the programme was a re-freshing change to the usual 'property is king' pap usually found on TV. I do get the impression though that Mrs Verity would quite happily have remianed 'on the ladder', rather than sharing Andrew's utopian dream of hoping for a substanical fall in the market where he can make a killing with his banked equity.

HOLA4417
HOLA4418
Plenty of nice moorings down here along the south coast. The waiting lists of the mid nineties have disappeared. Moorings for a 13m vessel are between 4K and 7K depending on the marina. Some allow live aboards. Moorings on piles and trots are around half that price. The bottom has fallen out of the secondhand boat market in the last year. You can virtually name your own price now particulary with motor cruisers. Lived on my 40 foot classic boat for 6 years (1988 /94). It was wonderful.Stepped on to dry land and bought a house that had dropped to 50% in 1994. Looking to buy a large motor sailer like a Fisher 42 in a couple of years time during the next recession. Prices dropped by up to 80% last time. Cash is king in a recession. Bring on the suffering baby. Yeah. :lol:

Can I mention that Charles Church here on the Isle of Wight had 2 cars parked in the car park the other night...