House Price Crash Forum

B B C Radio 5 Live 5.45 T O D A Y

HOLA441
Guest mattsta1964
I am livid - it was a thinly veiled ramping programme like all the others. What a crock.

"YOur barge is now worth 160 thousand pounds" It's like Location Location but under the guise of a bear piece.

What a BBC crock.

All it shouted was 'poor ftbs' and 'look how much money you've missed out on'.

Perhaps we should start a new web forum called Bargepricecrash!

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442
I am livid - it was a thinly veiled ramping programme like all the others. What a crock.

"YOur barge is now worth 160 thousand pounds" It's like Location Location but under the guise of a bear piece.

What a BBC crock.

I wonder how much the barge will be worth in 2 years time?

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445
It didn't say that much about the barge. Like how much the repayments are or how long the term of mortgage/loan is?

I wonder how much the mooring fees are?

It seemed that they were saving £700 a month (which was wiped out by commuting costs). Their rent was £1300 in London so the new life was costing £600 a month.

The barge cost 100K so mortgage would be £500 a month ?? (not sure) so mooring £100 a month. Not bad.

(please check mortgage costs)

HOLA446
I wonder how much the barge will be worth in 2 years time?

Without wanting to take it tooo far off-topic, I wonder how long it will take developers to start selling barges off plan? Virgin Rock's next business opportunity? I think their chairman might be interested.....

By a strage twist of media fate, there was an article on North West BBC news tonight about how Tesco have just started using barges for shipping booze up the Manchester Ship Canal to take it off road.

Barges are looking like a candidate to be the next bubble.

HOLA447

I thought the programme skirted around the issues. So far, its shown how mad the nation has become with property and showed that prices can keep rising 'cos people will just continue to find a way around it even if it means buying with strangers. Whats next, 4 people buying a one bed together?

I think the bulls will have loved the programme.

HOLA448
It didn't say that much about the barge. Like how much the repayments are or how long the term of mortgage/loan is?

A stack. Plus the associated costs of boat ownership. Apart from rum, stripy jumpers and cutlasses you've got the upkeep of the hull (needs dry-docking and painting with that lovely red stuff regularly) - the engine? Gas on from bottles. Parking? INsurance?

Living on a boat sounds good but come on! I'd wear myself out 'ha haar'-ing and doing my horn-pipe in the galley.

HOLA449

What a BBC crock.

I too was a little dissapointed with the programme , not bearish enough imo .

That barge , the spiv just valued it at 150/160k doesn't mean it will sell for that , with that sort of mark up i'm surprised no ones been bringing fleets of them over .

As for John London the plastic man , just give me 5 minutes with him somewhere quiet and dark :ph34r:

HOLA4410

Marine loans are generally at a higher rate of interest 8-10% and over shorter terms. Mooring fees vary hugely according to where you moor..

Top tip: get a mooring BEFORE you buy a boat, they're less easy to come by.

HOLA4411
...until you see what's across the road :ph34r:

Oh - you mean those people who've lived there 20-odd years,

brought up families there and are now being facing

compulsory purchase to make way for t88ts who want chimey pot house

and herb gardens at 140k a throw? Tossers

:angry:

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
Perhaps we should start a new web forum called Bargepricecrash!

No doubt it has been said already in the previous 10 pages, but the couple were spending £1300 p/m on a 2-bedroom flat in London. They could easily have got a pleasant 2/3-bed in the London suburbs for less money and saved a lot. They are now spending just as much to get into London as they are saving through their £100,000 barge.

How much would their mooring costs be? Another few thousand a year, no doubt.

HOLA4414
it's on next week....great

Gal Bear, get it on the "list". :D

Don't worry its going on the list as we speak and Mummy Gal Bear will remind all her 'kiddies' next week!

I thought the program was very good, could you believe that EA ?

You couldn't make it up !

I bet they intererviewed hundreds to get just the right 'plonker' and they sure did!

That poor couple with the boat, I hope GORDON BROWN etc was watching this programme to see the state he has put young families in, he should be so ashamed of himself! :angry:

As I said shame it was on BBC2 as most people won't have seen it.

HOLA4415

I think with this mornings Times and Telegraph headlines, Peggy Mitchells debt problem and then a full hour BBC documentary on house price crashes we can safely say that the issue just went Mainstream for Joe Public.

Its funny how people thought my bearishness was a little eccentric only 8 weeks ago.

I'm certainly smiling.

ANDY

ps Can we assume that the BBC Journalist presenter is a HPC member?

Edited by Andy Jones

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418
I thought the programme skirted around the issues. So far, its shown how mad the nation has become with property and showed that prices can keep rising 'cos people will just continue to find a way around it even if it means buying with strangers. Whats next, 4 people buying a one bed together?

I think the bulls will have loved the programme.

What? He shows the graph, and questions buying now. It's not going to be as one sided as this web site. But you can tell he's laying the foundations for SHOUTING CRASH. Credit crunch, and BTL becoming non profitable will be on soon. I think he's laying down the ground work.

HOLA4419

I thought Verity did a brilliant job setting out his stall in the first of the series. Doubtless th emore militant types here will be disappointed, but verity strikes me as a master trout tickler. In the meantime he's declared his interest and covered a great deal of ground, and, may I say, tied it all together really nicely. Likeable kinda guy too. He should be really pleased with the result. Although it's nothing new to old bears like me, I'll be booking my seat in front of the telly next week. I guess he must be an HPC member, so if you are reading this, good on you Andy, whoever you are.

HOLA4420
That barge , the spiv just valued it at 150/160k doesn't mean it will sell for that , with that sort of mark up i'm surprised no ones been bringing fleets of them over .

One of the important things the valuer said about the barge was that the price depends alot on condition. Now that it's just been refurbished then I guess that it's got a high valuation but I wonder how much it will be valued at after it's 'been lived in' for a few years?

HOLA4421
Oh - you mean those people who've lived there 20-odd years,

brought up families there and are now being facing

compulsory purchase to make way for t88ts who want chimey pot house

and herb gardens at 140k a throw? Tossers

:angry:

Agree, that meddling little council shit seemed to think that he had the right and the vision to play his little socio-economic games on people that had lived in the area for years. We beat Hitler and ended up with local council fascists. Compulsory cleansing.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

I thought it was a reasonably well balanced program although got to say the valuation at the end of that couple’s water coffin smacked of location, location, location. A bit of irony perhaps….

As for John (Plastic) London, in years to come he will come to represent all that is wrong with this decade long HPC.

A big thank you Andrew Verity, you’ve made my Friday! :P

HOLA4424
I thought Verity did a brilliant job setting out his stall in the first of the series. Doubtless th emore militant types here will be disappointed, but verity strikes me as a master trout tickler. In the meantime he's declared his interest and covered a great deal of ground, and, may I say, tied it all together really nicely. Likeable kinda guy too. He should be really pleased with the result. Although it's nothing new to old bears like me, I'll be booking my seat in front of the telly next week. I guess he must be an HPC member, so if you are reading this, good on you Andy, whoever you are.

superb performance, excellent presentation, all stitched together well , bravo. :)

HOLA4425

That guy with the TT and the tasteful hot tub and bar who'd MEW'd 50K...

was he really an estate agent???

Ahahaa. Huh. HAHA. AAAAAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHH!! HAHHAH AHAHHAHHAH !!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHHAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAHAHAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHAH!!!!! :lol::lol: